Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he was poor last night.

Defensive Winger he is....if Nani had performed like that last night, producing basically feck all, the Nani thread would be in meltdown.

He actually lost a sprint last night, in the first half, what's that all about?

Moyes, gimme some Nani.

Defensive Winger he is....if Nani had performed like that last night, producing basically feck all, the Nani thread would be in meltdown.

That's the biggest problem for Nani. People are expecting him to win us the game every time he plays, or at least create few clear chances all by himself, if he fails to do that then his performance usually gets described as shit, while you have Valencia who has lots of games where he creates nothing, and yet people describe it as good performance because he kept the ball very well, in game where we're despertae to create something.

Smalling is playing ridiculously high and isn't a fullback by any stretch. If this was the plan we should've surely played Fabio?

I don't think Valencia's doing too badly though. Apart from his usual inability to use one of his feet, which will always be ridiculous for a professional footballer.

I noticed yesterday that with Valencia and Giggs, you are basically missing a pair of legs on the pitch...

That's the biggest problem for Nani. People are expecting him to win us the game every time he plays, or at least create few clear chances all by himself, if he fails to do that then his performance usually gets described as shit, while you have Valencia who has lots of games where he creates nothing, and yet people describe it as good performance because he kept the ball very well, in game where we're despertae to create something.

I think most people have realistic expectations of Nani these days, just like Valencia.

Can someone really come up with a plausible reason for his dramatic loss of form? Now he's called a defensive winger of sorts when he used to be an offensive beast. His delivery which was usually on point is now a mess. He seems to think the only way of getting a decent ball in the box is hitting the low and hard. He used to take fullbacks on for 90's non stop, even quality ones like Ashley Cole were subjeted to an absolute battering. What went wrong?

There could have been epic scenes had we brought in a new signing and given him the number. We could have had Valencia do a musical number and all:

I just met you
And this is crazy
But here's my number
Don't talk to Bebe

Can someone really come up with a plausible reason for his dramatic loss of form? Now he's called a defensive winger of sorts when he used to be an offensive beast. His delivery which was usually on point is now a mess. He seems to think the only way of getting a decent ball in the box is hitting the low and hard. He used to take fullbacks on for 90's non stop, even quality ones like Ashley Cole were subjeted to an absolute battering. What went wrong?

Hang on, I thought he was just regaining his form a page or so back?

Can someone update the OP to state whether he's regaining or losing his form? It's hard to keep track...

To be honest, it's hard to tell. A good game for him these days seems to be running a lot, actually delivering a cross or two and not trying those daft stepovers.

I quite like having Valencia on the right wing. On his day, he's arguably one of the best wingers in the world. His general level is also pretty damn solid. He has to be our most athletic player. It's also a great comfort knowing that he can slot in for Rafael on the RB at any time.

Definitely good enough to start ahead of Nani and push Januzaj over to the left.

On his day? He is the best defensive winger in the world.

On his day? He is the best defensive winger in the world.
I'm convinced defensive winger is a term invented for the Tony of last season because he was too shit as an attacking winger but not quite defensively good enough to be a full back, so hey presto, best defensive winger in the world.

I'm convinced defensive winger is a term invented for the Tony of last season because he was too shit as an attacking winger but not quite defensively good enough to be a full back, so hey presto, best defensive winger in the world.

Also applies to all things Milner.

I think expectations from him have gone down drastically.

Last season he was annoying everyone through how rubbish he was. This season he's basically doing very little of note but not really messing things up with awful touches and decisions.

I think expectations from him have gone down drastically.

Last season he was annoying everyone through how rubbish he was. This season he's basically doing very little of note but not really messing things up with awful touches and decisions.

His delivery has gone to shit and needs improving back to what it used to be. Other than that he is fine since he is no longer doing this predictablen silly eyeballing contests ala Young but without a left peg.

I think he will have a good game against Arsenal myself. Hopefully he won't have Smalling behind him though.

He's not a Defensive Winger like Park was in big games or Rooney and Welbeck played as on ocassions.

He's an old fashioned winger who hasn't been playing at the level we've seen him play a couple of seasons ago.

He's not a Defensive Winger like Park was in big games or Rooney and Welbeck played as on ocassions.

He's an old fashioned winger who hasn't been playing at the level we've seen him play a couple of seasons ago.

The term defensive winger was given because his best work isn't in attack. I don't know when that was the norm for a traditional winger?

feck you, Tony V is the bestest defensive winger in the world. yay.

Nani has done feck all this season and it hasn't went into meltdown.

Is he?

He's done his usual 'get in a crossing position and smash it as hard as you can' routine

Is he?

He's done his usual 'get in a crossing position and smash it as hard as you can' routine

Yes he is. He's looking better than last season, which isn't hard, but it's a start. His pressing has been very good and his strength has helped him win the battle against Gibbs. He's put in a couple of good deliveries, too.

His end product could be better but you can tell Arsenal are scared shitless of him. Flamini gets across to help the hapless Gibbs at every opportunity. Tony's pace and directness is an excellent outlet for us.

I thought he was doing well - used his size and pace to support Smalling and attack Arsenal whilst generally seeming up for the game.

I'm one of his biggest critics but I think he's been good today. His end product has lacked because he's been doubled up on but in tactical terms he's been excellent.

I'm one of his biggest critics but I think he's been good today. His end product has lacked because he's been doubled up on but in tactical terms he's been excellent.

Defensively. he's been good and done his job very well. Going forwards he's not been good enough

He looked threatening when running at Arsenal, but offered little end product.

Status
Not open for further replies.