Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I missed most of the match, but glad to see he scored and has been considered MOTM

First half he was fantastic. His pressing of Richardson was key to our sustained pressure for the first 25 minutes.

Played very well. Not sure he'll ever be the player he used to be but he can still be a good winger for us.

Assuming Januzaj is playing on the left, is Valencia a better fit for the team as a whole rather than playing Nani?

That said I'd probably choose Nani and Valencia for the Arsenal game, with Adnan an option on the bench.

Great performance from him, I'm glad to see him back to his best. At the moment he and Januzaj on the wings seems the best choice.

Have always thought Valencia might get his shit back on track at some point.

Young on the other hand, seems a lost cause.

His speed is frightening. When he's confident he is great to watch.

He really is a confidence player, I was watching some youtube videos of him where he tore Cole apart and vs. Wolves when we won 5-0. He was getting given the ball more in space partly due to some outstanding passing from Scholes and just looked like he knew the left back was going to get beaten every time.

Real Sociedad, Stoke, and now Fulham. Three (consecutive) good performances.

I hate this term, but you're right. I just hope he can continue his good form and avoid picking up any knocks. He and Januzaj are definitely our 2 best options out wide.

I don't really like the term either, but he seems to completely lose his game when he looks down and it affects the rest of our play. I actually don't think he should have given the shirt up (not because I particularly care about the legend of the '7' or anything like that- more for his own sense of pride), but switching to 25 seems to work for him.

Real Sociedad, Stoke, and now Fulham. Three (consecutive) good performances.

People were saying he and Young together shouldn't be anywhere near the first team after the City game as if they'd been having equally poor seasons, but before that he'd already played very well against Leverkusen, come on and done well against Liverpool from right back and looked OK with an assist vs. Swansea. Add that to those performances you mentioned and he's had a decent start to the season.

Competition is certainly there this season, at times last year he knew he'd be playing the next game.

Now he knows Nani and Janujaz are in the mixer and having both signed 5 year deals knows they'll be straight in if he doesn't perform.
Then there's Kagawa and to a lesser extent Young. Load of competition.

He really wasn't that good. That devastating spell of football in the first half was mainly down to Januuzi, Rooney and RVP. His pressing was very good mind.

His inability to use his left foot or be able to mix it up and come inside really does inhibit our play though imo. If we really want to kick on and get back to being amongst the best in Europe, then we will need a better standard of winger then Valencia. He just doesn't cut it against the best teams. He's a squad player at best for me.

He really wasn't that good. That devastating spell of football in the first half was mainly down to Januuzi, Rooney and RVP. His pressing was very good mind.

His inability to use his left foot or be able to mix it up and come inside really does inhibit our play though imo. If we really want to kick on and get back to being amongst the best in Europe, then we will need a better standard of winger then Valencia. He just doesn't cut it against the best teams. He's a squad player at best for me.

People mostly see what they wish to see. You saw that and I saw something else. I thought Valencia drove us forward on numerous occasions. Sure he stops up at times, but a player like Rooney goes backwards instead, so I'm not sure that's any better or more fluid.

Valencia's shown that he can be amongst the best wingers in Europe. He's now shown that the pace is still there. He's playing a bit more centrally these days, and I agree that the lack of a usable left foot can be a problem there, but overall he does quite well at retaining the ball and only gives it away on rare occasions. Scored a goal yesterday and created quite a bit of attacking play also.

People mostly see what they wish to see. You saw that and I saw something else. I thought Valencia drove us forward on numerous occasions. Sure he stops up at times, but a player like Rooney goes backwards instead, so I'm not sure that's any better or more fluid.

Valencia's shown that he can be amongst the best wingers in Europe. He's now shown that the pace is still there. He's playing a bit more centrally these days, and I agree that the lack of a usable left foot can be a problem there, but overall he does quite well at retaining the ball and only gives it away on rare occasions. Scored a goal yesterday and created quite a bit of attacking play also.

Say what?

Valencia has been going backwards for well over a year, up until the last few weeks that is.

Say what?

Valencia has been going backwards for well over a year, up until the last few weeks that is.

When Rooney gets the ball facing his own goal, he often takes a touch away from the opposition goal, takes a long turn before facing the goal - it happens quite often. As I said, people see what they want to see. When players like Januzaj, Evra and Nani get the ball, they mostly turn to face the the goal. Rooney doesn't do that enough for me. Valencia was terrible at that last season, but has improved a lot this season.

When Rooney gets the ball facing his own goal, he often takes a touch away from the opposition goal, takes a long turn before facing the goal - it happens quite often. As I said, people see what they want to see. When players like Januzaj, Evra and Nani get the ball, they mostly turn to face the the goal. Rooney doesn't do that enough for me. Valencia was terrible at that last season, but has improved a lot this season.

What I see is our best player and most effective attacker this season. Whatever he's doing, it works.

What I see is our best player and most effective attacker this season. Whatever he's doing, it works.

I still think he impairs our play because he isn't good enough dropping deep. When he can afford to be direct, he's top drawer. But, this is the Valencia thread. You'll find me critical on Rooney in the Rooney thread where we can pick up on this ;)

We all know that no.7 was taken from Valencia to "lure" CR7. At the same time I will agree that it had a good effect on Valencia, he is still like a raw diamond... he takes time to be shaped to the team.

Really weird positioning tonight.

Tucking so narrow wouldn't be so bad usually but when it's then left to Smalling to provide the width it doesn't make sense.

Smalling is playing ridiculously high and isn't a fullback by any stretch. If this was the plan we should've surely played Fabio?

I don't think Valencia's doing too badly though. Apart from his usual inability to use one of his feet, which will always be ridiculous for a professional footballer.

I think Valencia is doing his job well, he isn't going great guns but he has improved a lot from last season, slowly getting there.

I quite like having Valencia on the right wing. On his day, he's arguably one of the best wingers in the world. His general level is also pretty damn solid. He has to be our most athletic player. It's also a great comfort knowing that he can slot in for Rafael on the RB at any time.

Definitely good enough to start ahead of Nani and push Januzaj over to the left.

If I see us lump the ball out to a Valencia/Smalling partnership again for a 15 second late cross that doesnt beat the first man ill crack up

Dirk Kuyt without the annoyingly apt goals.

Dirk Kuyt without the annoyingly apt goals.
Some people have short memories Valencia was an absolute machine for us broke his leg then has struggled, looks like he's coming back to form now.

Status
Not open for further replies.