Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whyyyyy does this keep getting bumped. He's not coming so who gives a feck about the handsome bastard.

I'm getting really pulled into the transfer madness this season. I've always stayed out of it (apart from a few obvious mega transfers).

I think it's quite clear Griezmann is biting his nails and feeling sick most of the day thinking about what Man Utd will become after this summer is done. This will be the equivalent of Shearer or Ian Wright not joining us. He'll be standing outside the window watching us having an amazing party. The worst thing is he actually had the chance to sign. Hope you get over it Antoine, you sad moron.

I'm not sure why so many of you have turned against him when there's still a possibility that he could come here. The quote posted today (not sure if its new or old) even leaves the possibility of a January transfer open.

"After having spoken with my advisor, the coach and the captains, I decided to stay. We will hold on until December and see if we can bring in a few players.”"

I'm not sure why so many of you have turned against him when there's still a possibility that he could come here. The quote posted today (not sure if its new or old) even leaves the possibility of a January transfer open.

"After having spoken with my advisor, the coach and the captains, I decided to stay. We will hold on until December and see if we can bring in a few players.”"
That statement hardly sounds like it's opening the possibility of leaving in January. Complete opposite in fact.

I am one of those optimists that Griezmann will join eventually, but even I doubt we'll pull off a major transfer like this in the January window.

Last edited:
It was cringeworthy how 90% of our fan base thought it was a done deal and were acting like he was a United player anyway.

Absolute madness.

That statement hardly sounds like it's opening the possibility of leaving in January. Complete opposite in fact.
How is that the complete opposite? "I decided to stay. We will hold on until December and see if we can bring in a few players.”

He wasn't asked if Atletico are going to sign new players in January. He was asked if he's staying. He's saying that there that he has decided to stay and will wait till December to see if they can bring in a few players. Previously in the paragraph he specifically mentions that it would be a "nasty move" to leave while they can't bring in any players.

Full quote:

“Leaving when they could not sign players would have been a nasty thing to do to the club who has given me a lot of their confidence, that has allowed me to be the player that I am today. After having spoken with my advisor, the coach and the captains, I decided to stay. We will hold on until December and see if we can bring in a few players.”

It was cringeworthy how 90% of our fan base thought it was a done deal and were acting like he was a United player anyway.

Absolute madness.
No one should be 100% certain until the club officially confirms the transfer but I don't blame our fans were thinking that it was almost a done deal. Griezmann himself made things far worse by going on TV and publicly confirming that there was a "6/10 chance" that he'll sign for Manchester United before our EL final.

I am one of those optimists that Griezmann will join eventually, but even I doubt we'll pull off a major transfer like this in the January window.
I agree that it's tough to make a signing of that magnitude in January but it's not impossible. The buyout clause is still the same so its not up to Atletico to accept or reject. It has already been rumored that Lacazette could join Atletico in January who could be his replacement. Obviously Griezmann would be cup tied in the CL and that's an issue but at the same time, he could also be a major boost to our league campaign (and if we're in FA cup/league cup). It'll be the same thing in January as it was now: it's up to Griezmann to agree to come here (as long as we still want him).

Speaking to Canal Plus following France’s disappointing 2-1 World Cup Qualifier loss to Sweden, Antoine Griezmann reaffirmed his decision to remain at Atletico Madrid this summer.

“Leaving when they could not sign players would have been a nasty thing to do to the club who has given me a lot of their confidence, that has allowed me to be the player that I am today. After having spoken with my advisor, the coach and the captains, I decided to stay. We will hold on until December and see if we can bring in a few players.”

Will wait for Xmas then.

I agree that it's tough to make a signing of that magnitude in January but it's not impossible. The buyout clause is still the same so its not up to Atletico to accept or reject. It has already been rumored that Lacazette could join Atletico in January who could be his replacement. Obviously Griezmann would be cup tied in the CL and that's an issue but at the same time, he could also be a major boost to our league campaign (and if we're in FA cup/league cup). It'll be the same thing in January as it was now: it's up to Griezmann to agree to come here (as long as we still want him).
Guys he is cuptied in January

Not worth €100M if he cant play in the CL now is he? They will have to drop it, for their feck up ban.

I wonder what the reaction on here would have been like that like Van Nistelrooy done his knee in training after we'd agreed a fee for him.

I wonder what the reaction on here would have been like that like Van Nistelrooy done his knee in training after we'd agreed a fee for him.

Erm sadness for him?

What do you think the reaction would be?

Guys he is cuptied in January

Not worth €100M if he cant play in the CL now is he? They will have to drop it, for their feck up ban.
Yea I mentioned that in my post. But he still helps us in the league/domestic cups so why hold off on the move on that basis? The price stays the same, we could have him half a season earlier if he's willing to come here (plus avoid possible competition for him from other clubs in the summer).

And if he is not registered for cl?
You think we did a deal with atleti? We wont buy him until january and they cant play him in the CL?

Yea I mentioned that in my post. But he still helps us in the league/domestic cups so why hold off on the move on that basis? The price stays the same, we could have him half a season earlier if he's willing to come here (plus avoid possible competition for him from other clubs in the summer).
So why we spending as much on Morata? you are clutching at a very thin theory.

We need somebody now not in 6 months time. Thats just the facts. So unless you think Rash or Tony are being shipped out. Or Zlatan wont be brought back in... Jose wont hold 4 strikers.

He'll be a older, shorter contract left and they want the same money for a cuptied player? No it dont hold water. Its all in Atleti's favour.

The club has moved on me thinks

So why we spending as much on Morata? you are clutching at a very thin theory.

We need somebody now not in 6 months time. Thats just the facts. So unless you think Rash or Tony are being shipped out. Or Zlatan wont be brought back in... Jose wont hold 4 strikers.

He'll be a older, shorter contract left and they want the same money for a cuptied player? No it dont hold water. Its all in Atleti's favour.

The club has moved on me thinks
Spending on Morata has nothing to do with Griezmann. Morata is Ibrahimovic's replacement, not a backup plan for Griezmann signing falling through IMO. Griezmann and Morata are very different players. I think even if we signed Griezmann, we would still look to sign Morata or another #9.

Not sure what you mean by the rest of the post. I didn't say anything about Rashford or Martial or Zlatan (who isn't even in our squad anymore). He'll be older? He'll still be 26 in January, wtf? Shorter contract left? He just signed a new contract fairly recently, there are still years left. Besides contract length or Atletico's willingness to sell has nothing to do with it because it's all about paying the release clause. There's nothing indicating the club has moved on. When we briefed the press, it was described as "shifting priority to signing a #9". It was basically us saving face because Griezmann decided to stay for now.

Spending on Morata has nothing to do with Griezmann. Morata is Ibrahimovic's replacement, not a backup plan for Griezmann signing falling through IMO. Griezmann and Morata are very different players. I think even if we signed Griezmann, we would still look to sign Morata or another #9.

Not sure what you mean by the rest of the post. I didn't say anything about Rashford or Martial or Zlatan (who isn't even in our squad anymore). He'll be older? He'll still be 26 in January, wtf? Shorter contract left? He just signed a new contract fairly recently, there are still years left. Besides contract length or Atletico's willingness to sell has nothing to do with it because it's all about paying the release clause. There's nothing indicating the club has moved on. When we briefed the press, it was described as "shifting priority to signing a #9". It was basically us saving face because Griezmann decided to stay for now.
Well i guess we'll have to see if Hamez and a centre mid along with Lindelöf and what looks like Morata. What makes you think we will wait?

You know, in fact we all konw one thing as fact. Jose gave a number of options per position. I'd say thats pretty conclusive that if one dont come get the other one. And there is no escaping the fact that Griezmann is not coming. Season starts for us in a few weeks not in 6 months. Jose has his plan and Griezmann rulled himself out of that.

You dont see griezmann as our attacker, so im guessing another attacker of the same ilk is coming and a centre mid. Making up the 4 we all expect. We are not going to go into the champions league short handed. Is that what you are suggesting?

Ronaldo said he's staying and signed for Madrid 2 weeks later. Only God knows the future.
I really don't think it's the same in this case. Griezmann said he was 6/10 to join us this summer, before the transfer ban, so he was clearly convinced he was joining us, until their transfer ban was upheld.

I doubt we pay out the ass for Griezmann - no matter how good he is - in January when he wont even be eligible to play for our Champions League squad. If he comes to United, it will either be this window or next summer's window.

Status
Not open for further replies.