Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Move on. There are quality players for way less, not to mention younger too. Next year is just too late.

The argument that we would go back for him when we dont land our other targets is a bit weird. I dont see it, only if we walked from the deal would it make sense. If he wanted to stay due to the ban, dont see what would change his mind in a month or two

The argument that we would go back for him when we dont land our other targets is a bit weird. I dont see it, only if we walked from the deal would it make sense. If he wanted to stay due to the ban, dont see what would change his mind in a month or two

When dealing with this sort of thing its always best to keep an open mind despite what you think may have transpired up to now.

We're never going to agree, because we have completely different viewpoints on how business is conducted in football.

I actually agree with your "build the bridge" business point of view, just that your previous points of "heartless club, make it difficult for Athletico to remain competitive, punishment to their fans" are just so bullshit. I know it's just the words to the same effect but if this is a business meeting those selling points would have failed you massively.
You've made a much better 2nd presentation in post 5345 and 5346 though. :)

I think what Griezmann has chosen to do is actually a compassionate thing. He's chosen to give back to the fans that have given so much to him, isn't that what we would like all footballers to do? He's chosen to stay with the club and the fans during a difficult time in which they can't make recruitment's. Anyone saying he's stupid or naive are lacking in compassion a bit I think. Fair play to him, if he want's to come when the ban is lifted I'm sure all those berating him would welcome him with open arms.

No one knows the full extent of what he and us had discussed. For example, did he really make it clear to us in advance that he won't move if the ban upheld? If that's the case why there was a news he nonchalantly asked for a move just a few days before the court decision? As loyal as he appears to be now, he also jeopardise another party's big plan who has only showed good faith in him. Did he make it clear to Mourinho that he will stay for Madrid only this one season and will definitely leave for Manchester the next if he still want him? That's what he should do if he's such an honourable person.
We don't know all these little details so no one can be quite sure what is really his motif to stay despite his selling point.

Last edited:
Why is this still open, what the hell is there to discuss, he's decided to stay at a team who broke the law a stupid amount of times and this is viewed as classy by a lot on here :wenger:, I just don't get it.

He's not coming, he had his chance so let's move on to players who do actually want to play for us.

Why is this still open, what the hell is there to discuss, he's decided to stay at a team who broke the law a stupid amount of times and this is viewed as classy by a lot on here :wenger:, I just don't get it.

He's not coming, he had his chance so let's move on to players who do actually want to play for us.

Feel free to move on by not posting in this thread anymore.

Sorry I thought the transfer forum was for transfers that might happen, I'll move on.

Nope, its for transfer speculation. Its basically a way to separate transfer chat from non-transfer chat (footy forum).

I certainly only have my assumptions about how our board and management work, and you apparently have yours. I've said this in the past many times, relationships do matter between both clubs and the players, just as they do in business. I'm not sure why people view transfers like some new level of cutthroat dealings totally disconnected from human interactions and concerns. I deal with massive multinational companies, and in our dealings symbiotic long term relationship building is a key, if not the most important key, component of business success. Screwing someone over in business gets you a reputation and burns bridges. I truly worry about people whose perception of the world is to fetishize a culture of ruthlessness. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Screwing someone over in a legitimate exchange? Paying a more than fair sum for the services of a player?
How you deem us to be screwing them over is utterly baffling. I've never denied it's a 'decent' move from Griezmann to stay, but I wholeheartedly disagree that United should give a damn about any of this. We aren't fecking screwing them over if we legitimately pay for the service of their player. The onus, in fact, is on Griezmann (not United) to consider Atletico's interests (which he appears to have done). Again, it appears he's staying because of the ban, so fair play to him, but the fact that you suggest that it has anything to do with United is simply bonkers, irrespective of your 'business experience' or whatever you claimed earlier.

To the question of "does he really interested to come and play for United", we need first to answer the question of "do you really believe that the transfer ban on AM had any chance of being rescinded?". Both questions share the same answer IMO.

We need quality attacking players now, in this window. Griezmann obviously had the chance to move, but didnt want to. Time to move on, there are other quality players around. He had his chance

I'm sure he'll get a move next summer to someone, I'd hope next summer though our eyes are on Dembele or Dybala

Don't want anymore. I'd rather have Di Maria back :mad: and praying we dont get Perisic

Barca appealed and then had a window of opportunity to strengthen their team before the ban. If Athletico had the same, it would have facilitated incoming and outgoing transfers - denied to Athletico - in essence the expectation could have very well been that Athletico could have been in a position to find replacements for AG and have the transfer proceed.

And now, you freely admit that your statement that "very, very predicted that Athletico was going to be hit harder than Barca or Madrid" is not worth your time to prove. Which means it's false.

Good evening, sir.

Hang on, I'm a bit confused here:

This was the appeal. Atletico and Real were both banned in January of last year. Both appealed. Both had their bans lifted pending appeal. Both clubs were able to sign players last summer and the previous January. It was the exact same process with Barca.

Real's appeal reduced their sanction to just one window (This January) due to a far smaller number of offences.

When you appeal, you don't make assumptions you are going to win. You make assumptions you aren't and plan accordingly. You also don't look at other cases and assume you will be treated similarly when your offence is significantly worse.

As far as the ban being very, very predicted goes - it was even more than that, it was already in place!

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Last edited:
Whatever ...his heart wasn't here at all and he can stay at Madrid for the rest of his career as he wants.
My only point on this is, imagine if it was Christiano Ronaldo. We all know he wanted to go to Real. But what if United had a transfer ban slapped on us that season. We wouldn't have been able to reinforce. And he chose to stay 6 -12 months not because he didn't want Madrid, but because he felt he owed us that much for what we'd done for him.

I must admit I'm not a huge fan of how you've been discussing this topic so far.

It comes across as a bit condescending if I'm being honest especially given that the majority of posters who do not feel Griezmann has handled this well feel this way as a result of his public display of interest in signing.

So with this in mind a few things good 'sir'...

1. RE: Class, dignity and basic humanity - If you hold these values in such high regard in football then how can you not see that Griezmann staying is in no small way not classy or dignified in that he very publicly flirted with United and then is somehow 'doing the right thing' by staying at a club who have cheated? He openly suggested that the club, Atletico, could not match his ambitions and that he wanted to win trophies, something he felt he could not do at Madrid and now suddenly this is a non issue? His lack of departure shows an odd support for the nefarious side of football. Atletico Madrid have nobody else but themselves to blame for their transfer ban and Griezmann staying is as much supporting this cheating as it is 'doing it for the fans'.
  2. Calling a post 'absolute b' - Lacks class, dignity and basic forum decorum and also you have absolutely no solid proof to reject the proposition made, that Griezmann has been hesitant about this transfer. We can only speculate however when a player comes out and says he has a chance of joining a club and then after a transfer ruling says that it would be a 'dirty move to leave now' it suggests that he has changed his mind and that there must have been a part of him hesitant about moving otherwise, guess what? He'd be a United player.
GENERAL THOUGHTS

All that aside Going forward this whole Griezmann saga has left a very bitter taste in many fans' mouths. The feeling between Atletico Madrid forum fans is very mixed about him staying, many are happy of course due to the ban but they have not been impressed by Griezmann's behaviour in interviews and some see this as little more than a token gesture. As for United fans I think it is clear that many, myself included, feel Griezmann is wasting a year in Atletico.

The reason being for this is that without being able to sign any players Atletico are incredibly unlikely to progress this season. Real Madrid and Barcelona will improve and add to their squads which again leaves the most realistic prospect for them being a 3rd place finish and maybe a good cup run. He has in many ways chickened out of a new challenge and an opportunity for a greater role in a huge club. I am not saying United are currently a better team, but they are much more likely to win trophies and progress next season with Griezmann than Atletico are and thus in footballing terms would represent the greater opportunity for personal growth for Antoine.

I would also not be very happy if United were to sign Griezmann next January/summer unless it was at a reduced fee compared to his current release clause.
Maybe you missed all the etiquette directed at me calling me mental. And I'll call bollocks when I see it.

My only point on this is, imagine if it was Christiano Ronaldo. We all know he wanted to go to Real. But what if United had a transfer ban slapped on us that season. We wouldn't have been able to reinforce. And he chose to stay 6 -12 months not because he didn't want Madrid, but because he felt he owed us that much for what we'd done for him.

Would Madrid be happy if their negotiation with Ronaldo got thrown out of the window and changed their plan for the summer because a player decided to be loyal ? Will Madrid fans love this, too ?

I actually agree with your "build the bridge" business point of view, just that your previous points of "heartless club, make it difficult for Athletico to remain competitive, punishment to their fans" are just so bullshit. I know it's just the words to the same effect but if this is a business meeting those selling points would have failed you massively.
You've made a much better 2nd presentation in post 5345 and 5346 though. :)
Your absolutely right, I took the touchy-feely a bit too far! (I still firmly believe that United as a club values our perception as the classiest club around, but I can't and haven't expressed that so well). So I don't think it's bullshit, but I've done a poor job on that. But you're right, those other posts were better considering the bunker I'm in on here ;-)

Would Madrid be happy if their negotiation with Ronaldo got thrown out of the window and changed their plan for the summer because a player decided to be loyal ? Will Madrid fans love this, too ?
Who cares. Imagine United fans perception.

Who cares. Imagine United fans perception.

But in your example : Us=Madrid, CR=AG and United=Atletico. We should be talking from Madrid perspective then, not Atletico ( United in your example ) fans.

Who of us will care if Atletico fans happy with Griezmann remaining or not. We should only care about own business.

Screwing someone over in a legitimate exchange? Paying a more than fair sum for the services of a player?
How you deem us to be screwing them over is utterly baffling. I've never denied it's a 'decent' move from Griezmann to stay, but I wholeheartedly disagree that United should give a damn about any of this. We aren't fecking screwing them over if we legitimately pay for the service of their player. The onus, in fact, is on Griezmann (not United) to consider Atletico's interests (which he appears to have done). Again, it appears he's staying because of the ban, so fair play to him, but the fact that you suggest that it has anything to do with United is simply bonkers, irrespective of your 'business experience' or whatever you claimed earlier.
Fair play. My ability to make it sensible from a United point of view is limited, I accept that. But from a perspective that the deal is still in, with both sides profiting massively in the future, from delaying a bit, makes sense to me.

Hang on, I'm a bit confused here:

This was the appeal. Atletico and Real were both banned in January of last year. Both appealed. Both had their bans lifted pending appeal. Both clubs were able to sign players last summer and the previous January. It was the exact same process with Barca.

Real's appeal reduced their sanction to just one window (This January) due to a far smaller number of offences.

When you appeal, you don't make assumptions you are going to win. You make assumptions you aren't and plan accordingly. You also don't look at other cases and assume you will be treated similarly when your offence is significantly worse.

As far as the ban being very, very predicted goes - it was even more than that, it was already in place!

Or am I misunderstanding you?
Also fair play. I'm not sure what's so special about Athletico, maybe they just completely cocked it all up. But in the past, Barca was able to get one more window to stock before the ban hit. It seems like either it was denied to Athletico, or they screwed it up. Regardless, they've found themselves in a position where they can only sell and not buy, and that's the position AG is in.

But in your example : Us=Madrid, CR=AG and United=Atletico. We should be talking from Madrid perspective then, not Atletico ( United in your example ) fans.

Who of us will care if Atletico fans happy with Griezmann remaining or not. We should only care about own business.
I regret that it's possible you might have missed my point. I'm absolutely suggesting everyone take a walk in an Athletico fan's shoes for a moment. You've got pretty no hope for this season if AG transfers to United. You might not make Champions League. You might not be competitive at all. Is it United's fault? No. Is it AG's fault? No. But if he delays his transfer for a bit, you've got some hope at least. And you'd respect AG and United for not forcing the issue right now and waiting 6 months or a year, right?

I regrets that it's possible you might have missed my point. I'm absolutely suggesting everyone take a walk in an Athletico fan's shoes for a moment. You've got pretty no hope for this season if AG transfers to United. You might not make Champions League. You might not be competitive at all. Is it United's fault? No. Is it AG's fault? No. But if he delays his transfer for a bit, you've got some hope at least. And you'd respect AG and United for not forcing the issue right now and waiting 6 months or a year, right?

Mate, why are you caring so much for them and why should we care about their season being affected by the ban or not ? This point is just illogical.

Would any of us be affected by them having a terrible season if he leaves or not ? Easy answer : Feck them ! We have too many problems to worry about to think or care about a club in another league. We should only care about our own business. If AG moved to us and Atletico got relegated, I won't drop a single drop of tear on them.

Mate, why are you caring so much for them and why should we care about their season being affected by the ban or not ? This point is just illogical.

Would any of us be affected by them having a terrible season if he leaves or not ? Easy answer : Feck them ! We have too many problems to worry about to think or care about a club in another league. We should only care about our own business. If AG moved to us and Atletico got relegated, I won't drop a single drop of tear on them.
Mate, I give up. I'm Man Utd through and through, but I understand and respect his decision and am willing to wait. You can't. Fair play.

Do not want. You dont turn down united and expect us to come back in for you. He can leave right now, the only thing stopping him leaving is himself. Do not want.

If the scenario you've described has, in fact, taken place, I'd be fine with it. Would say a lot about Griezmann's character too. These are the personality types lacking in modern football today, and the ones I want at our club.

This one really hurts. I thought last week it wasnt as bad, but i feel really bad this week after thinking about what it means missing out on him. He is the best player we could buy this summer. I even do the hotline bling sometimes during the day, then i realise he wont join, what a shambles.

It's nothing transfer-related, but pretty funny that he refuses to congratulate Varane twice for his CL victory :lol:

Just love him even more now! Not often you see players do that nowadays.Now the players smile when they play against each other as rivals.

This one really hurts. I thought last week it wasnt as bad, but i feel really bad this week after thinking about what it means missing out on him. He is the best player we could buy this summer. I even do the hotline bling sometimes during the day, then i realise he wont join, what a shambles.

Dry your eyes mate, it will hurt some more before it gets better. Broken hearts mend themselves.

I think he's coming, just a bit later.

Yeah he's had his chance, I agree with others saying we shouldn't give him the opportunity to join later. Aiming for Dybala or Dembele would be :drool:. I'm willing to admit I'm bitter, hope he wins nothing with Atleti and he moves to the MLS and forever regrets not joining us :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.