Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Who in their right mind cares about one player?

In the grand scheme of things, Greizmann is, at best a luxury that we could do without.

To speak of him in Neymar, Hazard and Sanchez levels is laughable.
He's not what we need, he's another gamble on a ten.

I'm not a regular poster on here, but a striker is a must for us.
Rashford has the potential in four years to become our number 9.

In the meantime, We need a proper striker, and I personally don't care if it's one of Belloti, Lukaku, Kane, or Charlie Austin.

We need a STRIKER. Not a goal scoring 10
Yes we need a goalscoring No. 9, but unless our No. 10's decide to join in then it will be a waste of money. Unless we can get a 40 goal a season man.

JohnnyKills

My personal take on this, I believe it was all sorted, we were willing to pay the release clause, personal terms were agreed and have been for a while, then something changed. Could be the transfer ban meant he had a change of heart, personally I don't think it was that.
My view is, someone has become available who we didn't expect to become available and that's why we've cooled our interest. Based on nothing but a hunch, i think that player is Bale.
Wouldn't surprise me at all.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There is a difference, the buyout clause concerns the contract of the player, it's a clause that allows a player to break his contract without cause. A release clause is a transfer fee agreed between the player and the club, when that fee is matched the player has to be allowed to talk with the other club if he wants to.

The first one is a clausula de rescision and the second one is a clausula de liberacion.
interesting, didn't know that. so it's buy-out clause then.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Who in their right mind cares about one player?

In the grand scheme of things, Greizmann is, at best a luxury that we could do without.

To speak of him in Neymar, Hazard and Sanchez levels is laughable.
He's not what we need, he's another gamble on a ten.

I'm not a regular poster on here, but a striker is a must for us.
Rashford has the potential in four years to become our number 9.

In the meantime, We need a proper striker, and I personally don't care if it's one of Belloti, Lukaku, Kane, or Charlie Austin.

We need a STRIKER. Not a goal scoring 10
He scores 20+ goals a season regularly.

Something only Ibra could do for us last year.

What does that make the rest of our attackers?

If we signed him he would have been the first name on the team sheet.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Why are people so bitter towards him? Likely he thought he was moving and wanted to move, until a few days ago.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Yes we need a goalscoring No. 9, but unless our No. 10's decide to join in then it will be a waste of money. Unless we can get a 40 goal a season man.
100% this! If our sole aim is to replace Zlatan like for like then we will be no better off than this year.

We need to sign at least two top top class forwards and also hope that members of our existing squad step up next season.

My preference would be for us to sign a Lukaku or Kane style goal scoring striker and also a top class wide forward like Sanchez or Bale.

Add Mikhi, Rashford and Martial to the mix and our attack looks a lot more potent.

Now it's time for me to wake up :D

Pace Abuser

Would be the most typical United thing to do to let this one go because a crocked Bale came up for a gazillion pounds.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
100% this! If our sole aim is to replace Zlatan like for like then we will be no better off than this year.

We need to sign at least two top top class forwards and also hope that members of our existing squad step up next season.

My preference would be for us to sign a Lukaku or Kane style goal scoring striker and also a top class wide forward like Sanchez or Bale.

Add Mikhi, Rashford and Martial to the mix and our attack looks a lot more potent.

Now it's time for me to wake up :D
Sshhh! That makes too much sense, don't you know?

We should sign players because we like them, not because we need them

SamVimes

Would be the most typical United thing to do to let this one go because a crocked Bale came up for a gazillion pounds.
I agree. I have a suspicion that this may be the case, and in keeping with Mourihno' reactive approach, he wants a player to fit this.

Dante

Average bang
Mourinho prefers having a big (but technical and mobile) lump up front and his primary goalscorers coming in off the wings. That's been his main system since he started his career.

Griezmann would be perfect in the Ronaldo role.

Last edited:

fellaini's barber

Think this will be the year people get fed up with Woodward.
Why?FFS what's wrong with people, not up to a year ago we were making gifs about him being knighted by kermit after signing Pogs,Ibra,Mikhi and Bailly, all very good signings, what twats are going to get 'fed up with him' because he couldn't sign Griezman for no fault of his. I don't know what world some of you live in:lol:.
P.S I think that gif of Ed dancing with our signings last season behind him should be posted incase people have forgotten who we're dealing with here. One of the greatest gifs I ever saw

Hanky panky

Could be. You just can't keep fans happy with those players who has been in rumours. We need marquee signing and game winners.

And Bale is not coming.

AndyJ1985

What's wrong with Woodward? We have signed a dozen players and spent half a billion pounds since Ferguson went so he clearly isn't the problem. The problem has been managers wasting that money on the wrong players.

Megs Nut

Yeah because getting players like Di Maria, Falcao, Ibrahimovic, and Pogba shows just what an incompetent tool our Ed is. :(
I think what people are getting at is that the likes of Perisic (who would be a realistic target for a mid-tier table team and certainly not for anywhere near the prices that are being quoted), are not going to cut it and will just be yet another Fellaini type signing where United fans grown inwardly across the globe in underwhelming fashion, full well knowing that this isn't going to be nothing but an epic flop.

For all of those players, that you pointed out, there is a Fellaini, Depay, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin to go along with them.

And all those players you have mentioned he arguably overpaid drastically for in the process.

I'm pretty neautral when it comes to my opinion of Ed, to be fair. I don't think he has been terrible and I don't think he has been fantastic either in his time in charge.

I think what all supporters have taken notice of (gotten impatient or peeved about) when it comes to Ed over the years is that he often tends to drag negotiations out further than they potentially could/have to be and that he tends to end up paying in most cases, exactly what the selling team wants and doesn't appear to show a lot of nouse when it comes to negotiation/haggling over fees. Plus selling a lot of our players for peanuts over the years isn't a great look.

We are quickly becoming known for being the team that drastically over-pays for players and sell their own for a pittance.

Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread but hopefully Ed can surprise us all again and pull off another Pogba-esque signing or two this summer.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think what people are getting at is that the likes of Perisic (who would be a realistic target for a mid-tier table team and certainly not for anywhere near the prices that are being quoted), are not going to cut it and will just be yet another Fellaini type signing where United fans grown inwardly across the globe in underwhelming fashion, full well knowing that this isn't going to be nothing but an epic flop.

For all of those players, that you pointed out, there is a Fellaini, Depay, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin to go along with them.

And all those players you have mentioned he arguably overpaid drastically for in the process.

I'm pretty neautral when it comes to my opinion of Ed, to be fair. I don't think he has been terrible and I don't think he has been fantastic either in his time in charge.

I think what all supporters have taken notice of (gotten impatient or peeved about) when it comes to Ed over the years is that he often tends to drag negotiations out further than they potentially could/have to be and that he tends to end up paying in most cases, exactly what the selling team wants and doesn't appear to show a lot of nouse when it comes to negotiation/haggling over fees. Plus selling a lot of our players for peanuts over the years isn't a great look.

We are quickly becoming known for being the team that drastically over-pays for players and sell their own for a pittance.

Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread but hopefully Ed can surprise us all again and pull off another Pogba-esque signing or two this summer.

Ed is not going to go out and buy players he likes. Ultimately, he gets his list from the manager and proceeds accordingly. If Mourinho tells him he wants Mbappe and Griezmann, you can bet Ed will do his best to make it happen. If LvG wanted Schweini, Memphis et al then that's what Ed got. If Mourinho showed up last summer and wanted Bailly, Pogba, Zlatan, and Mkhi then Ed will do his best to make it happen.

As for Perisic - if he is a player Jose wants to fit into his puzzle the squad he wants to build for next year then that's who we go after. And for the 18th time, they can't all be glamorous hollywood signings that get fans excited. We don't buy players to assuage the anxieties of transfer muppet fans - we buy them because the manager specifically requests they are bought.

gr3yham3

Ed is not going to go out and buy players he likes. Ultimately, he gets his list from the manager and proceeds accordingly. If Mourinho tells him he wants Mbappe and Griezmann, you can bet Ed will do his best to make it happen. If LvG wanted Schweini, Memphis et al then that's what Ed got. If Mourinho showed up last summer and wanted Bailly, Pogba, Zlatan, and Mkhi then Ed will do his best to make it happen.

As for Perisic - if he is a player Jose wants to fit into his puzzle the squad he wants to build for next year then that's who we go after. And for the 18th time, they can't all be glamorous hollywood signings that get fans excited. We don't buy players to assuage the anxieties of transfer muppet fans - we buy them because the manager specifically requests they are bought.
Exactly. Woodward has been great for our managers no matter what others say. Even Moyes failed window when only Fellaini came in was mostly due to Moyes' dithering.

I am sure Jose is enjoying working in a place where he can get the signings he wants, without interfernce from meddling DOFs or chairmen.

Megs Nut

I understand your point and where you are coming from 100%.

But it is also Ed's job after he receives this list, to go about negotiating the best possible deal for that player, for the football club.

As soon as a selling team know we are in for one of their players, they rub their hands together because they know they will be able to get an exorbitant fee out of us, even if that player has requested to leave/has a release clause/has hardly any time remaining on his contract etc.

Look at the likes of Bayern, Juve etc, they never seem to overpay on hardly any of their transfer targets, due to having people in charge who are great negotiators/businessmen.

I totally get that not every signing is going to be a Galatico and it would be foolish to think so and that Ed can only be held accountable for the signing of players and not selecting them himself.

I'm not saying Ed is appalling at his job but I'm also saying that he shouldn't be immune to any criticism whatsoever and be treated as if he is some type of endangered species / demigod either.

Either way, we may just have to agree to disagree.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The difference between us and other big clubs is that the speculation about who we might buy often precedes the actual attempt to buy a particular player, which in turn generates a higher fee. No other club in the world gets the sort of transfer scrutiny we do, which almost always inflates the selling club's fee demands. When you add in the fact that we are now the richest club in the world, that also adds yet more onto the "United Tax". Therefore Ed has little recourse in attempting to haggle with Inter about Perisic or with any other club for a particular player Jose wants. We simply have to get used to the fact that we get charged more because of who we are.

El Jefe

The difference between us and other big clubs is that the speculation about who we might buy often precedes the actual attempt to buy a particular player, which in turn generates a higher fee. No other club in the world gets the sort of transfer scrutiny we do, which almost always inflates the selling club's fee demands. When you add in the fact that we are now the richest club in the world, that also adds yet more onto the "United Tax". Therefore Ed has little recourse in attempting to haggle with Inter about Perisic or with any other club for a particular player Jose wants. We simply have to get used to the fact that we get charged more because of who we are.
What you say is true to an extent but we find ourselves in this situation due to Woodward's terrible negotiating in previous windows. It's set an unwanted precedent. I really believe signing Fellaini and Mata for £27m and £37m was the beginning of this mess we find ourselves in.

Rich clubs like Utd, Real, Barca, Bayern and City overpay due to their financial strength. The difference between us and these other teams is we overpay for everyone while they overpay for a few and in some cases get bargains.

A good example is Eric Bailly. Great signing but he had a very low profile, not many games played for Villareal and out of no where we announce his signing for £30m with pretty much no competition. I'm absolutely certain that a club like Villareal would have accepted £20m but our negotiating tactics are awful. AC Milan have new cash rich investors and managed to sign Musacchio from the same club Villareal for £15.3m

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What you say is true to an extent but we find ourselves in this situation due to Woodward's terrible negotiating in previous windows. It's set an unwanted precedent. I really believe signing Fellaini and Mata for £27m and £37m was the beginning of this mess we find ourselves in.

Rich clubs like Utd, Real, Barca, Bayern and City overpay due to their financial strength. The difference between us and these other teams is we overpay for everyone while they overpay for a few and in some cases get bargains.

A good example is Eric Bailly. Great signing but he had a very low profile, not many games played for Villareal and out of no where we announce his signing for £30m with pretty much no competition. I'm absolutely certain that a club like Villareal would have accepted £20m but our negotiating tactics are awful. AC Milan have new cash rich investors and managed to sign Musacchio from the same club Villareal for £15.3m
You may have a point but that was also down to the fact that Woody was brand new and Moyes sanctioned the Fellaini and Mata deals as panic buys because other transfers didn't pan out, so to an extent Woody had little flexibility to work with and absolutely had to buy those players because the manager wanted them.

The reason we over pay is because of the intense media scrutiny surrounding our transfer speculation. LvG even came out and said two years ago - "I can't comment on a transfer, otherwise the price shall go up". Ed today, has little flexibility to negotiate lower transfer fees because of the Pogba deal. Once you break the world transfer record, you can't go to the likes of Inter and say we would like Perisic for 20m. They will simply turn around and say you just spent 85m on Pogba, so you can have Perisic at about 40m. If Everton came sniffing around for him, they would likely let him go for 25-30.

Cypriot

Perhaps Atletico don't deserve his loyalty in regards to what they've done to get the ban - but I can't help but respect the player. He's still very young and I hope we have made some kind of personal agreement that he will join us next year. I don't see how people can be bitter about this, he clearly was open to the move and if one of our players had pulled this exact thing, we'd have lauded them as a hero...

DomesticTadpole

15:25
Griezmann 'to sign new Atletico contract'
AS writes:

“The Antoine Griezmann soap opera is over. The French striker will remain at Atlético Madrid despite contradictory statements in recent weeks. The 26-year-old has decided to accept Atlético’s new contract that was offered to him three weeks ago when several offers from other clubs came flooding into Atlético Madrid’s offices.”

15:20

EyeInTheSky

Exactly. Our number 9 has not been the issue its the lack of contribution from the other attackers, midfield and defense. I would love to see a stat showing the goal scoring contribution from midfield comparing Attack, Midfield and defense in the league to see the distribution of goals. Winning goals from defender via set pieces would have been the difference last season to turn some of those losses into draws etc..

DomesticTadpole

Exactly. Our number 9 has not been the issue its the lack of contribution from the other attackers, midfield and defense. I would love to see a stat showing the goal scoring contribution from midfield comparing Attack, Midfield and defense in the league to see the distribution of goals. Winning goals from defender via set pieces would have been the difference last season to turn some of those losses into draws etc..
Would be great if we had a CB who chipped in with 5-6 goals a season. Except that would mean we had signed someone who could actually take a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.