Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Esquire

Doubt we will go back. He will sign a new deal and stay at Atletico.
May be true. It would have been great to land the guy as he is elite, but my two cents (which many will disagree) is that if we get Perisic, which looks likely, then we have pretty good options at the no. 10 spot with Mata and Henry Miki. Freeing up the 100m and Rooney's 300k weekly salary to land Lukaku, Morata or someone in the same bracket for less than 100m and using the difference to get another squad player in wouldn't be so bad.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If he stays in atletico and if we are really interested then i don't understand griezmann.
Why stay in club with which you can't and you won't win any trophies ? And you can go in one of biggest clubs in the world, win trophies and earn more money. Especially in his case. It is not his childhood club or something like that.
I think it's good personally. Not as a United fan, but it's rare to see loyalty like that, especially with so much money thrown at him. He obviously doesn't want to leave them in deep shit. It's admirable if you ask me.

Esquire

We just finished 6th.......you sound like we are one of the top 3 clubs on the planet right now. We are way off and a Europa League win doesn't mean every world class player would be nuts not to sign for us.
Griezmann probably would have liked a transfer to United, but seeing as there is a transfer ban and with United apparently wanting a no. 9 more, it wouldn't be surprising that he's back tracked and hint on media that he wants to say. Seems he is keeping his options open without completely alienating the AM fans...

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I think it's good personally. Not as a United fan, but it's rare to see loyalty like that, especially with so much money thrown at him. He obviously doesn't want to leave them in deep shit. It's admirable if you ask me.
Oh come on, he knew that ban was around the corner. He flirted with us for a better contract, simple. If he really had loyalty, there wouldn't have been any discussion with us until that CAS decision. Wayne Rooney flirts with other clubs, puts in transfer request (like AG) and he's thought of like crap on your shoe. AG does it and it's admirable.

gr3yham3

This used to be the case, we moved on won things and the player would regret it, these days we will probably be pestering him every year.
Nah, Jose is closer to SAF than Moyes. If the money is not used for Griezmann, Jose will tell Woody to move on and get other players like Lukaku or James etc ao that we will win more next season.

2 man midfield

Oh come on, he knew that ban was around the corner. He flirted with us for a better contract, simple. If he really had loyalty, there wouldn't have been any discussion with us until that CAS decision. Wayne Rooney flirts with other clubs, puts in transfer request (like AG) and no better than the crap on your shoe. AG does it and it's admirable.
The ban was already in place wasn't it? This was merely an appeal which they seemed to think was going to be lifted. Seemed as if Lacazette was all but done, doesn't really sound like they were expecting it to be upheld, and looks entirely like they were planning for life without Griezmann.

It's possible he used us for a contract, but I do genuinely think we were close to signing him which leads me to think otherwise.

I also never said anything about Rooney? Griezmann doing so is admirable because he's turning down a lot of money to try and win things with a smaller club, and not leave them floundering in 7th place when they can't fill the vast hole he'd leave.

gr3yham3

We just finished 6th.......you sound like we are one of the top 3 clubs on the planet right now. We are way off and a Europa League win doesn't mean every world class player would be nuts not to sign for us.
No, we are still a bigger club, and next season I am fairly sure we will go further than AM in the UCL if Jose gets his players in.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Yes? And anarchy being the other side of order, do we need to tolerate it as well?
As long is it doesnt become dysfunctional to the workings off the forum than you should yes.

I dont get why people complain about other people complaining. What do you hope to gain from it ? Just ignore posts you dont want to read and let things fizzle out without making a big fuzz about everything.

If the problem is really that all the interesting posts are getting cluttered in a sea of negative posts than sure ask people to tone it down a bit in a politefull manner. But you have this problem just as much or even more when you have 50+ pages about crazy muppeting drowning the interesting posts. However i never hear anyone complaining about it when that happens so the whole problem must be greatly overexagerated.

Cantona_Forever

But it's still perfectly questionable that "is he really up to the big challenge?". Being at A. Madrid if he win something people will say Oh my God, they beat Madrid and Barcelona but when he doesn't it's "Oh, they can't do anything about it. It's 2 teams league anyway". There's always excuse being at A. Madrid and it's almost like he's getting comfortable with it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yes we finished sixth but with one big trophy and one small. I will ask you this:
Which is bigger club?
Where can you earn more money( players play for money not sentiments, lets be realistic)?
Where he have more chances to win something?

Summit

The ban was already in place wasn't it? This was merely an appeal which they seemed to think was going to be lifted. Seemed as if Lacazette was all but done, doesn't really sound like they were expecting it to be upheld, and looks entirely like they were planning for life without Griezmann.

It's possible he used us for a contract, but I do genuinely think we were close to signing him which leads me to think otherwise.
From what I've read they violated many more times than barca and real, so not sure why they were so sure their ban would be lifted? imo it was all calculated from AG. That TV show, with the 6/10 crap, it was all calculated.

2 man midfield

But it's still perfectly questionable that "is he really up to the big challenge?". Being at A. Madrid if he win something people will say Oh my God, they beat Madrid and Barcelona but when he doesn't it's "Oh, they can't do anything about it. It's 2 teams league anyway". There's always excuse being at A. Madrid and it's almost like he's getting comfortable with it.
Doesn't mean it isn't to be admired though. I'd say the same of Shearer, Le Tissier, anyone who does similar. He's not had his head turned by money, it's pretty rare these days, and you can tell from the meltdown which fans are a bit spoilt when just throwing 300,000 a week at a player isn't enough to get them.

Borden

Yes we finished sixth but with one big trophy and one small. I will ask you this:
Which is bigger club?
Where can you earn more money( players play for money not sentiments, lets be realistic)?
Where he have more chances to win something?
EL isn't a big trophy for a club like United. We shouldn't even be in the competition.

No star players look at our season and think 'wow, they won the EL and the League Cup'. If anything they think '6th in the league and hoofball? Not impressed.'

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If he used us to get a new improved contract, I hope all his sponsors dump him:D

Seriously, that would be really shit if he was bullshitting all along and using us. I can imagine the amount of preparation behind the scenes for his imminent arrival if he made us believe he was 100% interested in this transfer.

Can't believe he didn't think it might be a possibility that the transfer ban would be upheld. Surely he's not that thick?:lol:

In any case, if he was messing around, I hope we never go back for him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Where we finished is meaningless for players we are looking at buying. What matters is wages and CL qualification, of which we offer both, in fact they aren't likely to get higher weekly wages anywhere else.

Summit

Doesn't mean it isn't to be admired though. I'd say the same of Shearer, Le Tissier, anyone who does similar. He's not had his head turned by money, it's pretty rare these days, and you can tell from the meltdown which fans are a bit spoilt when just throwing 300,000 a week at a player isn't enough to get them.
If he signs a new contract then that's exactly what he's done (wanted more money). He may have not moved to us for bigger bucks, but he may never had any intention of leaving Madrid and most likely just wanted a big fat raise. I think he signed a new contract last year too? If so, then he clearly has flirted with us for a better contract.

Cantona_Forever

Doesn't mean it isn't to be admired though.
That's the point though. If deep in his mind what I said is the main reason for him, then you could say he is not that admirable, isn't he? Being an elite sportman but not up for a big challenge, being comfortable in failures.

And by the way, Shearer had his head turned by money since Newcastle paid him more than us (we can provide him with more success though).

2 man midfield

If he signs a new contract then that's exactly what he's done (wanted more money). He may have not moved to us for bigger bucks, but he may never had any intention of leaving Madrid and most likely just wanted a big fat raise. I think he signed a new contract last year too? If so, then he clearly has flirted with us for a better contract.
I dunno, I just think there was a bit too much in it for it to be posturing. It looks like we were close to landing him. I think I read he's on just over £100,000 a week there, I doubt they'll be able to improve much on that. Even if that do, he could've trebled it here. It's a pretty big decision to turn down that kind of money.

2 man midfield

That's the point though. If deep in his mind what I said is the main reason for him, then you could say he is not that admirable, isn't he? Being an elite sportman but not up for a big challenge, being comfortable in failures.
I don't see anything to suggest he isn't up for a challenge. He looked well up for it until about 24 hours ago.

The only thing we know is that he seemed a dead cert until it turned out any transfer would likely leave Atletico struggling to make the champions league next year. He obviously felt he couldn't walk away.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Oh come on, he knew that ban was around the corner. He flirted with us for a better contract, simple. If he really had loyalty, there wouldn't have been any discussion with us until that CAS decision. Wayne Rooney flirts with other clubs, puts in transfer request (like AG) and he's thought of like crap on your shoe. AG does it and it's admirable.
Loyalty is stopping at a club like Real Sociedad not Atletico Madrid.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I dunno, I just think there was a bit too much in it for it to be posturing. It looks like we were close to landing him. I think I read he's on just over £100,000 a week there, I doubt they'll be able to improve much on that. Even if that do, he could've trebled it here. It's a pretty big decision to turn down that kind of money.
It might be something more along the line that he has been waiting to make his final decision until he saw how the transfer ban played out. In order to sweeten the pot a little bit for him agreeing to stay rather than move to United, AM upped his pay and while they were at it got him to agree to a new buyout figure to keep it in line with what the market will be like next summer. A bit of a extra cash for being willing to hang around one more season.

But that is just one guess out of many.

Cantona_Forever

I don't see anything to suggest he isn't up for a challenge. He looked well up for it until about 24 hours ago.
Then I think we interpret "well up" differently. 6/10 for come to United vs. 7/10 for staying at Madrid. That's not well up for me at all.

2 man midfield

Loyalty is stopping at a club like Real Sociedad not Atletico Madrid.
It is loyal though? His loyalty to Atletico outweighed his desire to join us and earn three times his wage.

It might be something more along the line that he has been waiting to make his final decision until he saw how the transfer ban played out. In order to sweeten the pot a little bit for him agreeing to stay rather than move to United, AM upped his pay and while they were at it got him to agree to a new buyout figure to keep it in line with what the market will be like next summer. A bit of a extra cash for being willing to hang around one more season.

But that is just one guess out of many.
I think that's pretty much nailed on. He seemed to be all but out the door before that and to make a complete U-turn in light of the news is what leads me to the conclusion that he's put his love of their club above his desire for more money.

Then I think we interpret "well up" differently. 6/10 for come to United vs. 7/10 for staying at Madrid. That's not well up for me at all.
He said that before the EL win. It wouldn't be a 'lack of ambition' to not leave Champions League playing Atletico for Europa League playing Manchester United.

cheeky_backheel

Given the precedent with Madrid, I think most were expecting the ban to be reduced to 6 months (which would have allowed them to register players this summer). Even Atletico were already pursuing potential targets like Lacazette. Unfortunately, CAS did reduce the fine but kept the full ban in place.

Cantona_Forever

He said that before the EL win. It wouldn't be a 'lack of ambition' to not leave Champions League playing Atletico for Europa League playing Manchester United.
True but 7/10 for staying is already high enough. It's like he never want to leave Madrid but everyone around him just push him to leave and he see all the shiny things waiting for him but when it comes to the time to make the decision, he just bricked it. The decision didn't come from pure loyalty but also his bottlenesss.
That's my interpretation anyway because the situation is really strange. Why did he ask to leave Madrid just a few days before the decision IF he thought everything depended on the decision of the court? Why not just wait a few more days? The whole situation to me does looks more like he bricked it, if he really rejects us of course.

Giggs86

So basically he pulled a Rooney. If so, I wonder if AM fans will treat him the same way some United fans treat Rooney.

Mister_Stubbs

I hope he stays at Athletico for the rest of his career and never wins anything.

Not bitter, honest.

That said I do have a horrible feeling he'll be one we look back on in years to come as a "missed opportunity" when next summer he signs for someone else and goes on to win Balon D'or's etc

cyberman

He was always getting a new contract if he stayed, it's a thank you.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a United clause or something in it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
As long as his new contract doesn't raise the buyout clause then there's no issue, It's just purely to say thank you.

If the buyout is raised then he's there forever imo.

Stacks

May be true. It would have been great to land the guy as he is elite, but my two cents (which many will disagree) is that if we get Perisic, which looks likely, then we have pretty good options at the no. 10 spot with Mata and Henry Miki. Freeing up the 100m and Rooney's 300k weekly salary to land Lukaku, Morata or someone in the same bracket for less than 100m and using the difference to get another squad player in wouldn't be so bad.
Freeing up the 100million would be great, however we need someone who is going to supplement Morata's goals. I would love Morata, but we need 2 serious goalscorers on the pitch at all times. A Morata AND an Alexis Sanchez. If we expect Perisic to be our Sanchez/Hazard, then we will be waiting until I am old, grey and jaded with dementia

Jaxa

I'd rather we move on completely than renew the interest next year, it's rare footballers get this opportunity to move to Man Utd and I respect his decision if he want's to be loyal to Atletico but we should never "wait" for him, he isn't some 18 year old prodigy, next year is next year and I am sure there will be more players out there that have risen there game and will be a target,

So I hope we can just wish him well and say Goodbye, move on and get players who actually want to be here

Status
Not open for further replies.