View full 2019-20 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if an agent has insinuated that he will sign a contract once he is given or been guaranteed some minutes where as we want it the other way around.
All conjecture of course.

For those saying ole would have seen his capabilities in training. You could have said the same about ferguson and pogba but iirc Pogba used to have very good cameos and still be mysteriously overlooked. There's always an anomaly

He's another Morrison. A player who's thought he'd made it before he actually had.

Even if he makes it, his attitude wont be missed at United. This is Fergie culture through and through and if you cant handle it, feck off.

Has there actually been any reports on Gomes having a bad attitude? I think the main issue is that he obviously thinks he's ready and Ole doesnt agree.

Cant blame him though, the other talented players from his generation (Sancho, CHO, Foden, Mount) are getting plenty of first team minutes and Gomes was labelled as the more talented of the lot, so I can perfectly whats he's thinking specially since his position is being filled with Pereira or Lingard.

Shame it looks like he's leaving - seems a great talent and I expect him to do a Rossi - another who was considered too 'small' - and explode onto the scene in La Liga if he ends up there.

In an ideal world he signs a new contract and we send him out on loan.

Yes, very much so. A kind of childlike fantasy that comes from a place of innocence. It's very adorable. Just to be sure you know what I'm referring to, I pasted below. In particular the first and last lines:

Its just your opinion, I know. But I think it's naive but also very sweet. As for it being on Gomes, I find that rather harsh. Seeing Lingard, Mata and Pereira ahead of you dragging United down is probably a lot more objectionable than Park and Rafael getting the nod in midfield over Paul and then beating Arsenal. And yet many have a lot of sympathies for the latter. Strange they can't offer the same understanding here.

And if you want an example of where I would send someone of Gomes' profile instead, I'd start with Ajax. You get to play in the Champions League, get a thirst for winning titles, learn to play better football and quite possibly wind up at a top club in Europe..a current top one, not a former one.

I don't think it's the same thing at all. Lingard was an integral part of an England team that got to a World Cup semi just a couple of years ago, Mata is a seasoned Spanish international and Perreira has two loan seasons in La Liga behind him. All playing in a position they like, not shunted in to an unnatural berth. Now they may all be out of form but the thought of some 18 year old stamping his feet and throwing a hissy fit over any of them starting instead of him is pretty laughable. I'm not suggesting he did, just that it's not a reasonable response to any of Ole's selections this term. I don't think anybody can accuse Ole of mismanaging our youth players this year.

I thought he had been injured when all our players were out. But he has shown nothing that indicates he has it at top level. But going by his youth career he seemed really promising. I think he will sign and will be loaned out next season.

Cant blame him though, the other talented players from his generation (Sancho, CHO, Foden, Mount) are getting plenty of first team minutes and Gomes was labelled as the more talented of the lot,
By who, united fans? or our coaches. He was a backup to those names in the youth world cup. Has shown some promise on the international stage, but once again nothing to suggest he should be walking into any senior teams.

I don't think it's the same thing at all. Lingard was an integral part of an England team that got to a World Cup semi just a couple of years ago, Mata is a seasoned Spanish international and Perreira has two loan seasons in La Liga behind him. All playing in a position they like, not shunted in to an unnatural berth. Now they may all be out of form but the thought of some 18 year old stamping his feet and throwing a hissy fit over any of them starting instead of him is pretty laughable. I'm not suggesting he did, just that it's not a reasonable response to any of Ole's selections this term. I don't think anybody can accuse Ole of mismanaging our youth players this year.
@Sterling Archer is unhinged.

This is what he said in the Mason Greenwood thread:
Why the feck would we loan him? He should 100% stay and get minutes coming on as a sub in the league and Europa League. There's no better time as a United youngster to stay at the club.
But in this thread he wants Gomes to leave:
And if you want an example of where I would send someone of Gomes' profile instead, I'd start with Ajax. You get to play in the Champions League, get a thirst for winning titles, learn to play better football and quite possibly wind up at a top club in Europe..a current top one, not a former one.

By who, united fans? or our coaches. He was a backup to those names in the youth world cup. Has shown some promise on the international stage, but once again nothing to suggest he should be walking into any senior teams.

He captained the sub16, sub 17, and sub 18 english squads. He was a starter in all those teams, he was clearly considered a talented player weather he makes it or not is another thing.

No one is saying he should be walking, but the strange thing is that we've been listening from his for so much time and he's barely got chances.

He could end up being a Pogba or Sancho or may very well end another Morrison, we won't know but it certainly looks bad for us to lose a promising player because lack of chances.

Not in the U23 squad tonight. Could mean he’s involved on Wednesday (then again Chong for example plays tonight) or...

Not in the U23 squad tonight. Could mean he’s involved on Wednesday (then again Chong for example plays tonight) or...

Guess that's going to tell us a lot about what comes next. If hes not getting u23 or first team opportunities thats got to be it.

Youth football just isn't the same game as playing with the first team. Talent doesn't always translate over. If he's not ready then he's not ready. If he's leaving because he wants to play and our management doesn't think he's ready then there's little we can do about that. Lingard plays his position and was loaned out for 3 years before breaking into the team at 23. Maybe he rather wants to go the Pogba route but there's no guarantees that it will work out better for him.

Whatever happens most, if not all, of what is written here is pure conjecture. I must say that a self-proclaimed "Salford lad" who considers this his home and who's godfather is an ex-United player would move on so quickly.

@Sterling Archer is unhinged.

This is what he said in the Mason Greenwood thread:

But in this thread he wants Gomes to leave:
I don't think it's unhinged to change ones mind. Especially considering that comment is from back in October and in regards to a player getting constant looks into the squad and the other has not.

It doesn't seem like a good use of your time to spend I don't know how many hours to go through two months of my posts to find something that suited your outburst. I really think you're better than that friend. Perhaps we went a bit tit-for-tat with our tone. It's a better use of your and my time to just agree to disagree. I'm sorry for being condescending. Let's just cut it out and stick to good debate.

I don't think it's unhinged to change ones mind. Especially considering that comment is from back in October and in regards to a player getting constant looks into the squad and the other has not.

It doesn't seem like a good use of your time to spend I don't know how many hours to go through two months of my posts to find something that suited your outburst. I really think you're better than that friend. Perhaps we went a bit tit-for-tat with our tone. It's a better use of your and my time to just agree to disagree. I'm sorry for being condescending. Let's just cut it out and stick to good debate.
How precious.

Ole doesn't rate him, that is my take on it. Whether thats due to his size who knows

Ole has clearly shown if a player is ready to play for the first team then he will give them a chance . No one can argue with that , so if Gomes is not getting a chance then he is not ready simple as that.

Youth football just isn't the same game as playing with the first team. Talent doesn't always translate over. If he's not ready then he's not ready. If he's leaving because he wants to play and our management doesn't think he's ready then there's little we can do about that. Lingard plays his position and was loaned out for 3 years before breaking into the team at 23. Maybe he rather wants to go the Pogba route but there's no guarantees that it will work out better for him.

Whatever happens most, if not all, of what is written here is pure conjecture. I must say that a self-proclaimed "Salford lad" who considers this his home and who's godfather is an ex-United player would move on so quickly.

Key development age is 19 to 23. This is where your body fully developes and you're exposed to the stresses of actual football. Prior to that, alot of younger players can look extraordinary because they are playing against players that may not be as far along development wise. Doesn't mean that those further behind wont make it, just that physical attributes can mask alot of flaws at that age or make up for deficiencies.

While Gomes doesn't seemingly have this as he is a smaller person and has shown talent, what may be an issue is physicality issues and the club trying to protect him from serious injuries before he has properly developed. However, he may not accept this and feel like the club are holding him back, but if this were to be the case, he would be best advised to listen to actual experts in sports science and not other influencers who are uneducated to make decision on whats best.

If he leaves United, I dont doubt the clubs decision. It will be clear that either he's rejected the club because he wants guaranteed playing time (which the club should rightly tell him to feck off) or he's after a ridiculous salary for a non entity (which the club should rightly tell him to feck off). We dont need another Januzai and this should heed a warning to the rest of the academy that just because you're toward the pointy end, doesn't mean you've made it.

Man, aren't you condescending for a poster who constantly complains about the state of the forum. Starting to understand why you're getting all those aggressive replies you keep complaining about.

Put him on the ignore list. Many here have already. He is a one trick pony.

Has there actually been any reports on Gomes having a bad attitude? I think the main issue is that he obviously thinks he's ready and Ole doesnt agree.

Cant blame him though, the other talented players from his generation (Sancho, CHO, Foden, Mount) are getting plenty of first team minutes and Gomes was labelled as the more talented of the lot, so I can perfectly whats he's thinking specially since his position is being filled with Pereira or Lingard.

Care to look up how much Foden has played this season? He’d gotten 18 minutes prior to the weekend. Sancho was actually rated as the best in his age group.
Plus let’s say at one point Wilson was far ahead of Rashford. Development means a lot more than how talented someone was a few years ago.
As for his attitude, there are no reports, he loves the club and every contract renewal we get threads building up hysteria, based on a load of lies, then he ends up getting abused on social media, as the mob have decided he’s leaving.
And finally you can’t see what he’s thinking, I’m pretty sure you’re no confidant of his.

He captained the sub16, sub 17, and sub 18 english squads. He was a starter in all those teams, he was clearly considered a talented player weather he makes it or not is another thing.

No one is saying he should be walking, but the strange thing is that we've been listening from his for so much time and he's barely got chances.

He could end up being a Pogba or Sancho or may very well end another Morrison, we won't know but it certainly looks bad for us to lose a promising player because lack of chances.

No manager will ignore a player due to some personal agenda especially at a club like United who are burdened with #10s like Mata or Lingard. Clearly they dont think he is good enough to do that job ... at the moment.

The dispute between Gomes and United must be about timing.

United thinks that Angel needs time to fit into that role and are being patient about it -- whilst Gomez obviously thinks he deserves to start more often now (vis a vis the current #10s) and/or feels he can get more starts elsewhere.

Care to look up how much Foden has played this season? He’d gotten 18 minutes prior to the weekend. Sancho was actually rated as the best in his age group.
Plus let’s say at one point Wilson was far ahead of Rashford. Development means a lot more than how talented someone was a few years ago.
As for his attitude, there are no reports, he loves the club and every contract renewal we get threads building up hysteria, based on a load of lies, then he ends up getting abused on social media, as the mob have decided he’s leaving.
And finally you can’t see what he’s thinking, I’m pretty sure you’re no confidant of his.
From where do you get Foden has played only 18 minutes? Foden has played in 8 league games, 4 UCL games, 2 EFL cup games and in the community shield this season, while Gomes has played 3 games at Europa League and 9 minutes in the league. I think its cleat that while Foden is not a starter its a constant squad member who’s getting minutes while Gomes is still looked as a youngster breaking into the first team.

Did you read what I wrote about him being a really good player or a total bump? Like I said we won’t know because we didn’t gave him chances.

And while I’m not in his head you don’t need to be a genious to figure out this is about playing time.

Ole has clearly shown if a player is ready to play for the first team then he will give them a chance . No one can argue with that , so if Gomes is not getting a chance then he is not ready simple as that.
So that's one of the things that strikes me as most odd. Gomes, unlike Laird or Williams, is an official first team squad member. Between getting his debut under Jose and then having Ole group him into the first team going into the season, recognizing the technical and talent doesn't seem to be the problem.

The big one seems to yet again be that managers, regardless of whether it is United bleeding Ole, toxic avenger Jose or Dutch madman LVG all love to play Lingard. The guy who has contributed absolute nothins on so many occasions in one of the areas most needing improvement for us. Not only that, we decided against Eriksen and Dybala and Bruno, not to play Gomes but rather to keep Jesse in.

It's jarring for Me. Can only imagine what goes through Angels head seeing it

Last edited:
Obviously he is very talented player and he looked good in one of the Europa league game or league game where he started, his movement and link up play was good. Not sure why he wasn't included in last Europa league game, if it's because of contract issue then can see this ending in only one way.

Hopefully he will start against Colchester. Also I don't know why fans keep inventing these stories about "attitude". If a player is not playing, it doesn't mean the only reason is attitude. Sometimes it's like reading comments section in Sun paper.

Maybe coaching team thinks he isn't ready physically. Not every young player should break through at the same age. Few are developed physically which means they are closer to first team. Few players takes bit of time to get used to professional football. Going by EFL cup game, he looked fine against league 1/2 teams.

Shame it looks like he's leaving - seems a great talent and I expect him to do a Rossi - another who was considered too 'small' - and explode onto the scene in La Liga if he ends up there.

In an ideal world he signs a new contract and we send him out on loan.

I don't think his talent is undouted by the coaching stuff. Similar to how Sir Alex knew Pogba was talented. Problem is Gomes wants it now but the coaches want to slowly introduce him to 1st team football

Never showed he can be a Utd player to be honest. Seems to get lost in midfield a bit and bis size is avainst him no matter what many posters say. English football may have moved on from kick and rush but not to the point that a small, decent passer can make it at the highest level.
If Ole isnt giving him a chance then he must not be doing anything in training

Are you forgetting Scholes?

Never showed he can be a Utd player to be honest. Seems to get lost in midfield a bit and bis size is avainst him no matter what many posters say. English football may have moved on from kick and rush but not to the point that a small, decent passer can make it at the highest level.
If Ole isnt giving him a chance then he must not be doing anything in training
Are you forgetting Scholes?
Scholes is about 8 cm taller if the internet is to be believed

Ryan Fraser, just 1 inch taller than Gomes. Torreira is 5.5, not much taller either. Kante, Mendy, Bernard are all short players who have done well in PL.

It's also about strength and balance too, not just height. Going by how he coped with league 1/2 side, I think he is alright and should have been given chances.

Ryan Fraser, just 1 inch taller than Gomes. Torreira is 5.5, not much taller either. Kante, Mendy, Bernard are all short players who have done well in PL.

It's also about strength and balance too, not just height. Going by how he coped with league 1/2 side, I think he is alright and should have been given chances.

Those players have had years to adapt to the men's game. Gomes is being slowly being integrated and it seems he wants it all now. Seems as his fans see it the same way too

Those players have had years to adapt to the men's game. Gomes is being slowly being integrated and it seems he wants it all now. Seems as his fans see it the same way too

Going by the pace of his integration, he might be close to retirement when he finally starts a league game.

His fans? More like ManUtd fans who wants to see youngster getting decent mins instead of shit players like Lingard.

But Torreira does get muscled out most of the time by the pace of the game, he just has energy to get about the pitch to somewhat make up for it.
Short players can do well but Gomes is shorter than short. Im sure if we stuck with him he could have a decent PL career but we are looking for more than that.
He has to show he deserves a starting spot, he simply hasnt done nesr enough when hes on the pitch. Thats all it boils down to.
Again this is Ole we are talking about. If he isnt giving you a regular spot as a youth then there is something seriously lacking

If he's not involved on Wednesday then he's gone, that much is pretty obvious.

If he's not involved on Wednesday then he's gone, that much is pretty obvious.

Yeah definitely.

Coaching staff may have wanted him to commit before playing him while he and his agent want it the other way around.

Maybe Ole doesn’t think he’s quite ready unlike Greenwood and Williams.

I think he has a lot of talent that much is not in doubt but I’m not sure he’s a sure thing for stardom or a top club in Europe. There are obvious examples of smaller players making it but they have needed to be extraordinary in other parts of their game which I’m not sure Angel is (yet).

But Torreira does get muscled out most of the time by the pace of the game, he just has energy to get about the pitch to somewhat make up for it.
Short players can do well but Gomes is shorter than short. Im sure if we stuck with him he could have a decent PL career but we are looking for more than that.
He has to show he deserves a starting spot, he simply hasnt done nesr enough when hes on the pitch. Thats all it boils down to.
Again this is Ole we are talking about. If he isnt giving you a regular spot as a youth then there is something seriously lacking

I've been told off numerous times on here for expressing doubts over his physicality. It isn't one aspect, its the overall package. Very short, on the weak side in terms of strength, questionable stamina, decent acceleration at times but gets caught behind the play far too often.

Fraser is very short but he's one of those powerful balls of energy. Gomes is not.

Personally I think he should leave United and go to Holland where the league is much more forgiving to less physically capable players.

I understand Gomes wants to play more, but each game he has played in he has not really stood out. He stands out in youth games but against men he looks lost. It may be because he is out of position but there appears to be a lack of spark. He really should of been loaned last Jan, Ole made a huge mistake and again in the summer. He lost likely will go and there is a chance he will become a star somewhere else. Fair play to him though, every player deserves to be selfish and as long as he actually is ready, he could do very well.

That I agree with, not with short players will struggle. Torreira doesn't get muscled out anymore than the other midfielders who are tall and strong. Everything is about quick feet and awareness of what's around.

That I agree with, not with short players will struggle. Torreira doesn't get muscled out anymore than the other midfielders who are tall and strong. Everything is about quick feet and awareness of what's around.
Small players also have better balance than tall players so often you can´t really push them off the ball..

Small players also have better balance than tall players so often you can´t really push them off the ball..

Yeah, usually they are also quicker off the mark (in general) and have quick feet which should help them when playing as 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.