5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still reckon he needs to be played consistently on the wing. He gives it away too much to be played CM. If he gets a good pre season under his belt he can hit the ground running in August. A front three of ADM, Mata/Depay, Rooney has so much potential.

I'm not all that keen on seeing him on the wing. Just limits him to be a decent winger. Give him a holding midfielder and another well-rounded midfielder to play with in a midfield 3 and he can be back to his best IMO

He needs to get his head together, not being able to pass and bad decision making are nothing to do with playing positions, systems or other players.

Exactly. He's got the potential to be a top player for us but far too many excuses being made for his form in 2015.

Would be incredibly stupid if we sold him IMO. The fact that he was one of the best players at Real Madrid, and Bayern now want to buy him, says it all. He's a world class player, just off form. It happens. Him coming good would be basically the perfect signing for us.

His performances as a winger have been diabolical and we should sell him this summer if Van Gaal doesn't plan on using him in midfield.

It just seems like a case of a player who has won everything at Real Madrid, come to United in the opinion of it being a step down, and has lost a bit of his ambitious personality that he had previously.

Which is the reason why I hate the idea of spending huge money in order to take players of Bayern, Real or Barca's teams, as players will most likely come to United with the same attitude.

Whether we like it or not, it's going to take us winning a few UCLs in order for foreign players to think we are on the same level as those 3 clubs.

I'm not saying this is the case for Di Maria, but we should be signing players who really want to join our club rather than ones who are being forced out of their current club and looking for someone who can match their wages.
That's nonsense. The fact is that Bayern really struggled on the European stage for 4-5 years when we were making semis and finals and the English teams in general were doing really well in Europe. But even then, we lost Ronaldo to Madrid although they had done feck all in Europe for a good decade and were in Barca's shadow in La Liga.

The pull of Barca and Madrid for European and Latin American players will always be more due to a variety of factors but Bayern are just like us. Only difference is that they are the undoubted top dog in Germany (which in turn lets them have a great chance of signing all the best young German players who are one of the best in our generation) while we have to contend with at least 3 more teams in England on more or less equal footing for players.

100% keep him. Anyone who says otherwise is fickle and inpatient.

If he doesn't want to be here (and lets face it, it's been quite likely since the break-in completely rattled his family) then he's not going to improve his form or attitude is he?

If the break-in hadn't happened I'd be more inclined to put it down to acclimatisation and say he might get better but I bet you his Mrs and the kids want to leave for somewhere else and that'll have a massive effect on him.

Unless we recoup 80-90% of the fee back or a quality player in exchange than we shouldn't sell.

That's nonsense. The fact is that Bayern really struggled on the European stage for 4-5 years when we were making semis and finals and the English teams in general were doing really well in Europe. But even then, we lost Ronaldo to Madrid although they had done feck all in Europe for a good decade and were in Barca's shadow in La Liga.

The pull of Barca and Madrid for European and Latin American players will always be more due to a variety of factors but Bayern are just like us. Only difference is that they are the undoubted top dog in Germany (which in turn lets them have a great chance of signing all the best young German players who are one of the best in our generation) while we have to contend with at least 3 more teams in England on more or less equal footing for players.

So you're saying foreign players are just as likely to come to United than Bayern Munich?

If he doesn't want to be here (and lets face it, it's been quite likely since the break-in completely rattled his family) then he's not going to improve his form or attitude is he?

If the break-in hadn't happened I'd be more inclined to put it down to acclimatisation and say he might get better but I bet you his Mrs and the kids want to leave for somewhere else and that'll have a massive effect on him.

Should give him another year at the absolute minimum. We'll need him.

It'll be nice if he can regain his confidence, I feel he isn't all that happy at the moment but hopefully a full pre-season will help him focus for next season. That's about as generous as I can be.

No way should he be sold on the back of this season. He's done enough or has more than proved himself on various other stages of European and world football to get another crack at Utd and the PL. Give him time and more importantly use him in a way that'll suit him best, things should fall into place for him and us then.

Maybe few events in his life had influence on his form,state of mind etc. they are humans after all. Dont forget not only its his 1st season in England,he needed to learn language,had some injuries and that attempt of burglary while his wife and child was inside,say what you want,go all Chuck Norris on me,say how thats not a big fecking deal but maybe he took that event hard.Think before first injuries he was more then decent so hope he will stay,settle and improve next season.

Nothing but sheer conjecture

I'm looking forward to seeing if di Maria can improve in the second season and be more efficient on the ball. I think playing him on the right wing will suit him well as he'll have the freedom to either cut inside or stay out wide. His inswinging crosses/diagonals from the right have always caused the opposition lots of problems, and he can still cut in and be dangerous in the middle with his through passes or shots. I think putting him on the left makes him quite limited as he's weak on his right foot, and he's too cavalier on the ball to be effective in the middle, but he's accustomed to playing on the right from his Benfica/Real Madrid days, so he's a bigger threat from there and from the left/middle.

He can leave at the right price if he wants out and we shouldn't be worried too much about it. Not less than 50M that is.

It is probably best he does leave. Top quality player, but he takes too much risk to fit into Van Gaal possession based philosophy. Even though, I feel his assertiveness to be positive should benefit and balance our team, Van Gaal seems to think otherwise.

He can leave at the right price if he wants out and we shouldn't be worried too much about it. Not less than 50M that is.

We'd need a replacement though and I'm struggling to see one that would be for sale.

If he fancies Bayern we'll take Robben and £35 million, or PSG Moura and £30 million.

Money isn't much use to us we need a top replacement or two, or preferably the rumours are BS and ADM comes good because he's a wonderful player when on form.

If he's does want to leave then he definitely should. But we need to recover most of the transfer fee otherwise it makes no sense whatsoever for us.

I believe that LVG is a very honest coach so any player asking to leave since his arrival would be partly to do with the conversations they have had with the manager.

Much like Welbeck, he asked to leave due to conversations with LVG behind closed doors, so if Di Maria does leave this summer then it will be because he is not in the managers plans. If that is true, then so be it, same goes for every player really because no player is bigger than the club.

Didn't he just have an interview less than a month ago saying he wanted to stay and fight for a place?

Highly unlikely that he's going anywhere this summer.

I believe that LVG is a very honest coach so any player asking to leave since his arrival would be partly to do with the conversations they have had with the manager.

Much like Welbeck, he asked to leave due to conversations with LVG behind closed doors, so if Di Maria does leave this summer then it will be because he is not in the managers plans. If that is true, then so be it, same goes for every player really because no player is bigger than the club.
wasnt welbz shown the door due to his goals record?

He was a panic buy we made mid August when we started the season badly and we were really desperate. He doesn't fit this system at all by the looks of it, in fact he can't even seem to take players on any more.

Sanchez or Sterling would suit us more with there close dribbling ability, we need to find a player like that.

Sterling v Di Maria straight switch? We wouldn't say no (though obviously Di Maria and his family probably would).

Why do I get the horrible feeling we'll end up loaning him to PSG with some god awful, play now, pay later deal?

If we have to sell him, PSG must include Verrati in the deal. No bloody cash only deals.

Sterling v Di Maria straight switch? We wouldn't say no (though obviously Di Maria and his family probably would).

Your club would the only ones saying no.

The story is bollocks though....i hope, if its true then i think 13 assists and 4 goals should be enough to entice PSG to pay 35-45m for him.

If we could get around £40m back, it would be a good deal. Unless LvG sees him playing here every week (actually starting), then there's no point in keeping him.

wasnt welbz shown the door due to his goals record?

He was going to be 3rd choice at best, so van Gaal suggested it's better to leave. Welbeck agreed and wanted out.

@RuudTom83 is spot on though, if Di Maria really wants out he can do so under van Gaal. It'll be difficult for Di Maria though since the club won't take a loss on him. There are very few clubs who could afford what we paid for him and I doubt many are interested. I'm sure he will stay, one bad season with OK statistics won't drive him out I think.

Swap deals barely happen, PSG won't offer their best players. They already rejected Barcelona twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.