Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thick, where exactly would we play him in a 352, the same formation that after the match LvG spoke we'd be going back to? so please don't propose a formation other than that, please just tell an ignorant cretin where exactly we'd play him in the 352 that LvG still wants to use.

another no.10? one of the two upfront?

I'd imagine either behind the front two (at the expense of Mata) or as one of the front two (at the expense of Rooney/RVP).

But if we do sign him, I honestly think we'll ditch the 3-5-2 and opt for a more conventional 433/4231

The great thing about Di Maria is his work rate, he works just as hard defending as going forward, because of this he could easily play RM/LM in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3. People seem to think he can only play in one system in one position, he's nothing like Mata who can only work in one position, he's far more versatile than that, he proved it last year just go watch the CL final and see him boss the game from CM.

Would Di Maria not play LWB for the club?

Also, I imagine if the rumours are true, that the club is trying to offload players before buying in new ones . .

Would Di Maria not play LWB for the club?

Also, I imagine if the rumours are true, that the club is trying to offload players before buying in new ones . .

He probably could but that would be a huge waste of talent and money. If we buy him, LVG should play 4-3-3 and have the balls to drop either Rooney or RVP.

He probably could but that would be a huge waste of talent and money. If we buy him, LVG should play 4-3-3 and have the balls to drop either Rooney or RVP.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think its more about utilising the talent at the club as opposed to having the balls to drop RVP/Rooney.

He said it himself, he inherited a very unbalanced squad, I would personally prefer to get a world class CM or CB and use the quality we have then to leave one of our few top class players on the bench!

Ronaldo injured, Di Maria is Madrids best player last night, Madrid under no pressure to sell .

There's zero chance of him coming to United. He would not even address the primary problems of defence and central midfield.

And yet you still see people on here proposing him as a CM or a wingback, so desperate are they for a 'big name ' signing.

Or play a 4312/diamond and have him and Herrera on either side of Carrick in a midfield 3. He'd be a terrier in the middle for us, but would have fanastic ability to carry the ball forward or link with the fullbacks and take it wide.

That midfield 3 would be beautifully balance. I'd be more than happy. And we would still have Mata behind Rooney and Van Persie.

Obviously he then gives us the tactical flexibility to chuck him out wide in a 433/442/4411 should we ever wish to.

Marca today
http://www.marca.com/2014/08/20/fut...a9940b223090b9dc192613246a6c6e6e&t=1408525217

Says Di Maria has an "important offer" from United, and that it's likely that Di Maria will leave (it doesn't say to where). However it also says that Ancelotti hasn't given up on Di Maria and will carry on playing him as long as he's got him. Meanwhile Ramos and Ronaldo have both asked Perez to keep Di Maria.

AS were reporting yesterday that Di Maria has already been offered a payrise (against normal Perez policy) but turned it down.

Marca today
http://www.marca.com/2014/08/20/fut...a9940b223090b9dc192613246a6c6e6e&t=1408525217

Says Di Maria has an "important offer" from United, and that it's likely that Di Maria will leave (it doesn't say to where). However it also says that Ancelotti hasn't given up on Di Maria and will carry on playing him as long as he's got him. Meanwhile Ramos and Ronaldo have both asked Perez to keep Di Maria.

AS were reporting yesterday that Di Maria has already been offered a payrise (against normal Perez policy) but turned it down.

Hmmm - reading the above, the impression I get is that he will end up staying.

He's definitely got the balls to do that. And he's already said for people that still don't seem to have heard this that if he has the required players, he will not play 3-5-2 and instead play 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1.

It could easily turn out to be a deadline day transfer just like Özil to Arsenal.

Or play a 4312/diamond and have him and Herrera on either side of Carrick in a midfield 3. He'd be a terrier in the middle for us, but would have fanastic ability to carry the ball forward or link with the fullbacks and take it wide.

That midfield 3 would be beautifully balance. I'd be more than happy. And we would still have Mata behind Rooney and Van Persie.

Obviously he then gives us the tactical flexibility to chuck him out wide in a 433/442/4411 should we ever wish to.

Very true indeed.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think its more about utilising the talent at the club as opposed to having the balls to drop RVP/Rooney.

He said it himself, he inherited a very unbalanced squad, I would personally prefer to get a world class CM or CB and use the quality we have then to leave one of our few top class players on the bench!

He said that ideally he'd play 4-3-3, having Di Maria would help if either Rooney or RVP are on the bench with Angel on the wing. Those were the cojones I was talking about

I would switch to 4231, mata behind either Rooney or RVP

I'd imagine either behind the front two (at the expense of Mata) or as one of the front two (at the expense of Rooney/RVP).

But if we do sign him, I honestly think we'll ditch the 3-5-2 and opt for a more conventional 433/4231

If we were to stick with 352 and have to drop Mata, we'd be exchanging one good player with another and forcing Januzaj into 3rd choice for that role,
If we are going to 433, or 4231 to accomade him, we'd either need to drop one of Rooney (van Gaal's new captain) or RVP, either that or we'd need to stick Rooney into the no.10 and again shift Mata out.

Either way you're swapping out well paid "star players" out to accomade him.
I would rather we just take the proposed money we're supposedly prepared to pay for him and instead buy a truely world class CM, who... whichever formation we'd play.. be it 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1.. he'd be able to slot in week in week out, last game against Swansea, we had a blackhole in the middle of the pitch, both goals came from late runners into the box which is primarily as much a midfield issue to pick up.

My opinion.

Imagine how good Real and Barca would be if they let the football men run the clubs.

They did the same for Ozil last year but Ramos still lost his best friend..

They did, but Madrid had been poor that season. They'd won nothing. Ozil had been invisible in key games. Plus when it came to the choice Ozil or Di Maria, Ancelotti already preferred Di Maria. Not quite the same this year.

van Persie
Mata Rooney Di Maria
Herrera Blind
Shaw Rojo Jones Rafael
de Gea

:drool:

----------De Gea-----------
Rafael--Evans--Rojo---Shaw
-----------Carrick----------
-------Herrera-Mata--------
-Di Maria------------Januzaj
-----------Rooney----------

The thing is, Wayne's not being dropped. The man's our captain for a reason. However RVP can singlehandedly win us games. Hard decision that.

----------De Gea-----------
Rafael--Evans--Rojo---Shaw
--------Carrick Herrera ----------
------------Mata--------
-Di Maria------------Rooney
-----------Van Persie----------

The interesting thing about the Marca article is that it's written by the reliable Juan Garcia Ignacio Ochoa.

The thing is, Wayne's not being dropped. The man's our captain for a reason. However RVP can singlehandedly win us games. Hard decision that.

Exactly, it's a clusterfeck. And to think the press were adamant we were signing Cavani.

He's definitely got the balls to do that. And he's already said for people that still don't seem to have heard this that if he has the required players, he will not play 3-5-2 and instead play 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1.

I disagree with this statement. It's all good pushing the line of 'this is my preferred formation but we don't have the players to play it', but then again that is the entire fecking point of the transfer window. LVG has arrived in the summer transfer window, and the idea is to buy the players he thinks he needs to do his job. It appears that the players he has been targetting are those tat will make 3-5-2 easier to play (the obsession with signing a left-footed centre-half for example).

If he felt we were short out wide, and had been pursuing options to play there all summer, then I would agree. The early links to players like Konoplyanka or Depay have ceased, and Cuadrado is admittedly a winger, although as had been repeated much he is also very much a wing-back.

Rooney and Persie will play, I don't think he is planning for any sort of first XI without them. However anyone else can fit in around that two is the idea I suspect.

Rooney is now the captain. It doesn't matter where he 'wants' to play. He has to do the greater good for the team

An interesting point. I wonder if van Gaal considered it as a way of controlling Rooney. He's still the star man wherever he plays if he's captain.

It's so irritating seeing posts like 'we don't need a player like Di Maria, we need to buy midfielders and defenders instead'. If we can sign Di Maria then we should ffs. He is one of the best players in the world. He does something that only 1 or 2 players in our squad can do (beat a man), he is very direct, fast with the ball at his feet, score goals...the list just goes on. He would give any full back in the league nightmares. We need that in our squad atm. Let LVG decide the teamsheet as he is the manager. I'm sure if he wants Di Maria then he will have the potential lineup figured out.

That's before we factor in Kagawa, Welbeck, Hernandez and Wilson who'll be knocking on the door. No wonder we've gone 352, none of those are comfortable wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.