Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think Di Maria will happen, probably because I can't completely see where we'd fit him. For some reason I think Vidal is much more likely... even though that's still not going to happen :lol:

Anyone, please

Just don't see how he fits into a 352 or a 433 without having to move a few other players out of their best positions.

Looks like Vidal might have been shelved for whatever reason. Blind looks like the back up in CM with Strootman in January. Makes sense.

One question though...

Can Di Maria play wing back or would it mean a change to 433?
Di Maria has huge work rate so he could possibly play wingback. However I don't think we'll see that, instead I see us going 433. Or perhaps play the Robben role in the 352, but that would possibly mean benching one of RvP, Rooney and Mata.

Still think this is on. The journo on BBC 5live MNC said it was a case of us not wanting to pay the full £45m asking price.

Not the Di Maria rumors again. I really don't see where he'd fit in the team unless Van Gaal uses him like he did with Robben at the world cup.

Was Woody really at Cardiff or is it BS?

If true, then there would be no other reason for him being in attendance (other than to watch/buy DM) when we had a match on at the same time.

You don't buy the premier winger in world football and play him as a wing-back

Was Woody really at Cardiff or is it BS?

If true, then there would be no other reason for him being in attendance (other than to watch/buy DM) when we had a match on at the same time.
It was a UEFA showpiece event, so he was probably invited to be there.

Or probably not, cuz we aren't in Europe this season

I don't think it would be his best position but when we're playing lesser teams the wing backs are basically just going to be wingers anyway.
We've seen in pre-season that the wing backs have been spending a huge amount of time in the attacking third & if we get a proper left sided centre back then it should allow the wing backs a lot of freedom.

He could do it for six months or a season until we go back to a 4-3-3 or even if we're switching between the two.

Maybe we want to switch to a 4-3-3 capable of interchanging with a 4-2-3-1/ flat 4-4-2. Makes sense given that Van Gaal has historically preferred this formation. The current setup would be a waste of Di Maria's abilities. He would be great as the left sided #8 in 4-3-3 or a right/ left winger in 4-2-3-1/ 4-2-2.

Well maybe but when RvP is fit then where? Unless we drop one of Herrera/Fletcher.
Something like this
Di Maria only makes sense in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, but we'd probably need to play our captain out of position. Not likely to happen mind... Probably 4-3-1-2 would be the only way to go:

De Gea
Rafael - Jones - Evans - Shaw
Herrera - Fletcher - Di Maria
Mata
Rooney - RVP​

True, though I think he's a better midfielder (at least, as part of a three man midfield on the left) than he was a winger. More consistent and influential. Last season was arguably his best season for Real, so naturally they want to sell him now.

I'm thinking that if Di Maria comes in, it will be at RVPs expense. I'd imagine we'd play him in the 'Robben role' in the 3412 or out wide in the 4231 with Rooney as the central striker.

I'm thinking that if Di Maria comes in, it will be at RVPs expense. I'd imagine we'd play him in the 'Robben role' in the 3412 or out wide in the 4231 with Rooney as the central striker.
RvP is the last player Van Gaal will sacrifice.

So, the one player we know LVG loves (RVP) who happens to be a striker is going to be dropped for a wide player to play in a strikers position?

No.

One thing is for certain, LvG would only green light this deal if he was sure where exactly he would play Di Maria for the best efficiency of player and team.

RvP is the last player Van Gaal will sacrifice.

It's not necesarily sacrificing him, but using him more sparingly. RVP could still be an important player.

So, the one player we know LVG loves (RVP) who happens to be a striker is going to be dropped for a wide player to play in a strikers position?

No.

Possibly, maybe he takes Mata out instead but should we sign Di Maria and continue to play this formation someone's got to go. He'd either play no.10 or a free role up front I'd imagine.

Just don't see how he fits into a 352 or a 433 without having to move a few other players out of their best positions.

.... In a 4-3-3 he plays in centre mid or on the left wing?

Which is why LVG would want him, as he himself has lamented his options when moving out of a 3-5-2 to other formations...

or Ronaldo. People have cherry picked that statement.
Well Ronaldo isn't for sale, is he? Also my point was in reference to the question whether Di Maria would be winger or wing back in an LvG team. And he'd most likely be a winger, having referred to him as such.

Well Ronaldo isn't for sale, is he? Also my point was in reference to the question whether Di Maria would be winger or wing back in an LvG team. And he'd most likely be a winger, having referred to him as such.
I think people are reading a bit too much into a fleeting comment that van Gaal made. I don't think just because he said he's a great winger means we'd use him as such, I'm sure van Gaal is aware of just how good he is in midfield too.

I doubt he'd use him as a wing back though, that'd be insane.

I think people are reading a bit too much into a fleeting comment that van Gaal made. I don't think just because he said he's a great winger means we'd use him as such, I'm sure van Gaal is aware of just how good he is in midfield too.

I doubt he'd use him as a wing back though, that'd be insane.
Well, incidently, I think he might be part of a midfield 3. Basically he'd play anything but wing back, is my point.

Could easily play him on the left of a midfield 3 or Mata in the midfield 3 and Di Maria in the front 3 of a 433 where I think we will eventually go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.