Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think he'll be regarded as a starter anymore after the purchase of James. He'll be used a squad player and I don't see how a player of his caliber will accept such a role.

If that's the main argument against Di Maria then we would also end interest in Messi or Aguero if they were available because of 'luck'.

If Ed says something remote to truth we can match financial expectations and sign a world class winger for a change.

I was being flippant, not serious.

Just curious if we were to sign Di Maria - which I do not believe will happen - where would he play, formation wise and and who would be dropped for him?

You would be shocked how many times in this thread this question has been asked... along with "how will he fit in the 3-5-2"

You would be shocked how many times in this thread this question has been asked... along with "how will he fit in the 3-5-2"

Couldn't be arsed reading the thread sorry, I'm too burnt out reading the Vidal saga instead!

So where will he play then....;)

I hope you realise that you just expanded my point. My post was aimed at the guy above who alluded that Woody is stingy.
I thought the point was that he's good at his job. My main point is that when he actually gets deals done they have all been overpriced.

It's believed (by the Madrid press) that Ancelotti is still working on some sympathisers in the Madrid board to offer a new deal to Di Maria. Meanwhile Ronaldo is said to be trying to talk Di Maria out of demanding to leave.

Perez is not keen, but with Ancelotti and Ronaldo pulling the other way, he's hesitating about the whole, "Get the cash, buy Falcao," idea. On the other hand an "irresistible" offer for a stroppy player who wants to leave, and he'll sell. Allegedly.

Ye of course why wouldn't they.. It's a bit baffling really to be letting him go but that's their decision, Perez and that. I just hope we could be the club that capitalises on their mistake.. It's not the first time Real have let a good player leave and won't be the last for a galatico.

What would Perez be looking for... Papers just quote different numbers all the time, like they just pulled them out of their hole.. Would Oezil money 40-45m get him or would Perez want more say 60m as it seems Di Maria sale is linked with Falcao purchase.

Why do you reckon Di Maria wants to leave anyway.. Is it genuine reason like given his performances last season, he feels he didn't deserve to be replace by Rodriguez or is it just a lack of fight to compete with Hamez or is money an issue looking for a pay rise?

There has to be one big signing this summer....if not it would be the biggest anti climax ever with the way we've been playing.

Look, he would be a great signing. World class. what I dont get is where he fits in for this season. would he accept a wingback role for a season? until we can transition to 433 next year? rooney and van persie are nailed on starters uptop with welbeck and januzaj rotating in. you then have mata and kagawa for the no.10. could you have him in central midfield next to hererra for a year? i just dont see where theres room with our squad makeup and 352.

Couldn't be arsed reading the thread sorry, I'm too burnt out reading the Vidal saga instead!

So where will he play then....;)

Look, he would be a great signing. World class. what I dont get is where he fits in for this season. would he accept a wingback role for a season? until we can transition to 433 next year? rooney and van persie are nailed on starters uptop with welbeck and januzaj rotating in. you then have mata and kagawa for the no.10. could you have him in central midfield next to hererra for a year? i just dont see where theres room with our squad makeup and 352.

:boring:

Didn't Di Maria also play in midfield under Ancelotti? someone who follows Real Madrid will probably tell you better about it.

If we signed him and Vidal I think it would complete the transition of our team into a 4-3-3. Operating in the same position as he did for Madrid last season, without displacing Rooney or Van Persie out of their preferred strikers position. Something like this:

----------Vidal---------
--Herrera-------Di Maria
-----------------------
----------Mata---------
--Rooney-------RVP----

:drool:

I'm terrified Chelsea are going to swoop in for him on the last day. Imagine him and Hazard out wide for them. :nervous:

I'm terrified Chelsea are going to swoop in for him on the last day. Imagine him and Hazard out wide for them. :nervous:

That is a possibility, but I still think we are in pole position to get him, if we haven't wrapped it up already.
It's our midfield that more concerns me.

If we signed him and Vidal I think it would complete the transition of our team into a 4-3-3. Operating in the same position as he did for Madrid last season, without displacing Rooney or Van Persie out of their preferred strikers position. Something like this:

----------Vidal---------
--Herrera-------Di Maria
-----------------------
----------Mata---------
--Rooney-------RVP----

That could work, although Vidal is wasted if you're telling him to just hold midfield. A dream team on paper though and enough quality to compete with any team.

fecking hell please let this happen. Obviously signed with 433 in mind long term but can also play CM in this system and could easily play LWB also.

Balls out of the bathwater on this one, I think we will get him. He'll be Woodward's marquee signing that he is after and we can all agree Di Maria is world class.

Still slightly lost as to where we can currently facilitate him in the 3-5-2 to be honest.

I do believe van Gaal will seek to implement 4-3-3 next season though.

Perhaps van Gaal feels van Persie will be used sparingly? It's certainly a possibility. I would not like di Maria to be used as a wing-back, feel he'd be wasted there.

----------Vidal---------
--Herrera-------Di Maria
-----------------------
----------Mata---------
--Rooney-------RVP----

Change Vidal with Blind and that is basically 2/3 of our starting XI for this season. I really wanted Vidal but Di Maria will be an acceptable come down. :).

Raphael Honigstein is a very reliable aswell

@honigstein was reporting on ESPN that Utd are on the verge of signing Rojo and that EW was in Cardiff negotiating with RM for ADM

Convinced it's all bollocks. We've played 3412 every game and the only positions he could play are those filled by our best 3 players.

Still slightly lost as to where we can currently facilitate him in the 3-5-2 to be honest.

I do believe van Gaal will seek to implement 4-3-3 next season though.

Perhaps van Gaal feels van Persie will be used sparingly? It's certainly a possibility. I would not like di Maria to be used as a wing-back, feel he'd be wasted there.
Could do a 4-3-3 type, but a diamond with 2 strikers rather then 2 wide forwards/wingers. He'd have a similar role to the one he had at Madrid, and the strikers drifting around. Sort of like:

De Gea
Rafael Smalling Evans Shaw
Carrick
Herrera -- Di Maria
Mata
Rooney -- Van Persie​

Honigstein saying Woodward is in Cardiff negotiating with RM.

Fletcher - Ander
Mata
di Maria - Rooney - Januzaj

If he were to sign, maybe we could use this for the first few weeks whilst RvP+Welbeck are still out? The issue of what happens when RvP is back arises, but I think he could work as a very offensive wingback.

Could do a 4-3-3 type, but a diamond with 2 strikers rather then 2 wide forwards/wingers. He'd have a similar role to the one he had at Madrid, and the strikers drifting around. Sort of like:

De Gea
Rafael Smalling Evans Shaw
Carrick
Herrera -- Di Maria
Mata
Rooney -- Van Persie​
Yeah, I'm unsure how comfortable I'd be with di Maria as a no. 8. He played as no. 10 for Real Madrid last season, didn't he?

Let's put it this way, I'll be pleased if Van Gaal secures the services of the players he wants. It's up to him to think about the system and the composition of his squad.

----------Vidal---------
--Herrera-------Di Maria
-----------------------
----------Mata---------
--Rooney-------RVP----

That's an incredible front 6. Hate you for making me hope.

Also I think it would be more of an unsymmetrical 4-3-3 with di Maria out wide, Rooney and RVP up front with Mata the top of a three man midfield.

Fletcher - Ander
Mata

If he were to sign, maybe we could use this for the first few weeks whilst RvP+Welbeck are still out? The issue of what happens when RvP is back arises, but I think he could work as a very offensive wingback.
This I like.

Convinced it's all bollocks. We've played 3412 every game and the only positions he could play are those filled by our best 3 players.
Van Gaal did say himself the reason we don't play a 4-3-3 is because you need top wingers for that, like Ronaldo or Di Maria, and we don't have that. That's why IMO he wants to implement the 3-5-2, as our current wingers are a bit shit going forward minus Januzaj, and Di Maria is not an easy deal to pull off. If we do get him then we can easily switch to a 4-3-3.

That really would be the missing piece to their midfield and attack. Di Maria on the right, Hazard on the left with Oscar playing behind Diego Costa with Matic and Fabregas behind them. That is frightening.

Van Gaal did say himself the reason we don't play a 4-3-3 is because you need top wingers for that, like Ronaldo or Di Maria, and we don't have that. That's why IMO he wants to implement the 3-5-2, as our current wingers are a bit shit going forward minus Januzaj, and Di Maria is not an easy deal to pull off. If we do get him then we can easily switch to a 4-3-3.
He also spoke on how he'd have to play with two strikers as he couldn't bench three of 'em.

De Gea
Jones - Smalling - Evans/Rojo
Valencia - Herrera - Di Maria - Shaw
Mata
Rooney - Van Persie
Di Maria in that midfield looks so wrong. If we buy him, it must be because we will go back to 4-3-3 at some point.

Yeah, I'm unsure how comfortable I'd be with di Maria as a no. 8. He played as no. 10 for Real Madrid last season, didn't he?
Not really, they didn't use one. He was the left sided central midfielder with license to roam out wide now and then when Ronaldo drifted inwards. Wasn't used as a #10 though, and Herrera would still be the #8 and Mata the #10. Just we'd have Di Maria there drifting out wide offering width and hard work but also doing the center midfield stuff, like he did for Madrid. It's hard to put in on paper, and it wouldn't really be a symmetric formation on either side. It'd be like Van Persie more central, Di Maria a bit further wide, Herrera more central on the other side with Rooney a bit more wide. None as proper wingers though.

Fletcher - Ander
Mata

Ye..

Said this before.. Di Maria is the top drawer winger that LvG wants and he could then of course go back to his preferred system of 4-3-3..

Di Maria on the right, Januzai on the left but theirs also Kagawa and maybe even Nani if he could rediscover some sort of form again.. Even Rooney can do a job there.

Status
Not open for further replies.