Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's nonsense. EPL Europa league teams always struggle against Spanish Europa teams. Ronaldo and Messi are just good and the teams they play in are streets ahead of EPL top teams.

That's because Spanish teams get a break, where as EPL teams have huge fixture congestions. Not to mention the Spanish teams actually play for the competition, whereas most PL teams see it as a hinderance to their league performance.

@moonred Perhaps and I wasn't doing it as a direct comparison. I'm saying I think Di Maria will blow hot and cold in the PL, mostly cold.

You are basing that on too many assumptions, and if one has to be weary thinking on hypothetical terms then there will never be a situation which completely satisfy a signing. Di Maria as far as wingers go is unmatched currently and will take to the PL quite easily I would think. Agree to disagree I guess.

That's because Spanish teams get a break, where as EPL teams have huge fixture congestions. Not to mention the Spanish teams actually play for the competition, whereas most PL teams see it as a hinderance to their league performance.

What break do they get? 1 day? Really? The only reason why English team don't pursue the competition is because they're not good enough so don't see it as a realistic target to pursue. La Liga has been better than the premier league for a while now and EPL teams have some serious catch up to do.

La Liga is a far less physical league and played at a slower pace, the defences in La Liga are poor in comparison. Not to mention they get a winter break, which I think Di Maria would struggle without.

@Blue always red People seem desperate for a signing, any signing, because they think just a signing will improve us; I don't think Di Maria would improve us.

@Van Piorsing Di Maria is fast in a league where most of the teams are defensively suspect... Of course he looks good. Ronaldo and Messi don't score 50+ goals a season just because they're amazing players, the players they are against are also much more inferior.

@moonred Perhaps and I wasn't doing it as a direct comparison. I'm saying I think Di Maria will blow hot and cold in the PL, mostly cold.
I see your point, mate. The risk is always there, especially with that kind of price and in extremely physically demanding league but I think this time it's a risk worth taking, especially after Louie's recent quotes that are clearly pointing out how unsatisfied he is with our wings.

If Woody tells the truth than we clearly are capable of pulling that kind of deal without bigger financial stress.

Di Maria has close to a 100 assists in his time at Madrid.:eek:

People don't watch him enough to realise how reliable he actually is now. He still tries stupid tricks like that reverse cross thing he does, but on the whole he's a much more efficient player now than he was in 12/13. His defensive work is very good as well. I just can't see why people don't think he'd be an upgrade on ANY of our wingers. In pre-season we've already seen how much Valencia slows down our play, even when he gets himself in advanced positions, how poor Nani looks and Young, although looking good, is still nowhere near Di Maria's level.

Di Maria was one of Madrid's most influential players throughout their entire season and shone brightly in their CL campaign.

What break do they get? 1 day? Really? The only reason why English team don't pursue the competition is because they're not good enough so don't see it as a realistic target to pursue. La Liga has been better than the premier league for a while now and EPL teams have some serious catch up to do.

Winter break...

And that's not true, Spurs are good enough to win the competition if they chose to.

I see your point, mate. The risk is always there, especially with that kind of price and in extremely physically demanding league but I think this time it's a risk worth taking, especially after Louie's recent quotes that are clearly pointing out how unsatisfied he is with our wings.

If Woody tells the truth than we clearly are capable of pulling that kind of deal without bigger financial stress.

It's not even that I think we're incapable of the transfer, I just don't think it's good value for money and I don't think the return on it is adequate.

Spurs who haven't won a European trophy since the early 60's, choose not to win a European trophy.:rolleyes:

Winter break...

And that's not true, Spurs are good enough to win the competition if they chose to.

No they're not. It also doesn't disprove my point. La Liga has clearly been a better league for a few years now. Their midtable teams are better than ours. I find the excuses by English team fans laughable when their teams get schooled in Europa. The winter break might help but then again no Europa football is played then. Anyway let me not derail the thread any further but safe to say I don't agree with you on the general standards of the 2 leagues.

It's not even that I think we're incapable of the transfer, I just don't think it's good value for money and I don't think the return on it is adequate.
You may be right as Louie definitely won't make panic moves on the market but on the other hand look in what situation we are right now... clearly not fully comfortable with so much years lost on neglecting some of our formations.

The law of the Premier League is the team with most goals usually wins it. I would pay easily over 40 millions for over 10 additional assists and few goals for the sake of killing it in style and without stress but I'm aware that I may be very wrong on that. Perhaps we should go for other type of winger and focus more on developing Januzaj and Lingard which is also an important element of building a team.

100%. I see very little chance of United buying Di Maria. But if they do, it certainly won't be to play him as a wingback. It could mean that 4-3-3 comes back into play, or 3-5-2, with one of the above dropped as you say.

Seems to be the story of united summer again, very little chance signing this player or that player, very frustrating

Follow the money.

Final position in the PL means a lot more financially to a club and is a more realistic and achievable target than winning the Europa League was in the past. In Spain the TV money is negotiated separately by each club, so the extra fixtures and potential European glory is a much greater reward for them financially and in terms of winning trophies. Now that the winner of the EL qualifies for the Champions League I expect that English teams will show a bit more desire in competing.

Follow the money.

Final position in the PL means a lot more financially to a club and is a more realistic and achievable target than winning the Europa League was in the past. In Spain the TV money is negotiated separately by each club, so the extra fixtures and potential European glory is a much greater reward for them financially and in terms of winning trophies. Now that the winner of the EL qualifies for the Champions League I expect that English teams will show a bit more desire in competing.

Hey that's indeed a valid point I didn't consider. Let's see how that pans out then. Back to Angel...I'd love for us to sign him but not sure if he's what van Gaal would want at this stage.

Reckon Real would accept a similar price as they did for Ozil. Its one thats going to drag out to the deadline.

As much i like Mata, he really does limit us. Had we not signed him we would be a lot more flexible. He is a better no10 than Rooney, however Rooney gives us flexibility

At moment the only position i could see us play Di Maria in our current system would beas a wing back, though i guess also play him in midfield but with a pure DM and forsake Vidal (and i am a massive Vidal fan), we would than had the option to change a 4-3-3 seamlessly

3-5-2

..............Rooney...RVP....
.........Di Maria..........Herrera
Shaw.............Carrick.........Cuadrado
.........Evans.......Smalling.....Jones

4-3-3/ 4-1-2-2-1...whatever you want to call it

..................RVP...........
Di Maria.....Rooney.....Cuadrado

.....Herrraa...........Carrick

Shaw....Evans...Smalling..Jones

Last edited:
You are following your own logic as if you are managing...whereas I'm using what Van Gaal has done (with the Dutch World Cup team) and said (quoted in the press) to try understand/ imagine what he will think and do....

Save your condescension because you're talking bullsh#t.

Reading the quotes that were on Sky Sports News van Gaal actually mentions his name in those quotes when commenting on wanting another winger. There could be something in it.

It's a fair point that Di Maria probably would be a better wing back than Cuadrado.

I mean Cuadrado doesn't really have any defensive attributes, much like Valencia he's only played there because of his stamina. From the little I've seen of him he's like Valencia off the ball and Nani on it.

Reading the quotes that were on Sky Sports News van Gaal actually mentions his name in those quotes when commenting on wanting another winger. There could be something in it.

I just think the fact he mentions him as a player Real Madrid have actually rules him out.

Winter break...

The winter break in Spain means they skip a Liga weekend - the players basically get a week off. If the only thing between Di Maria and success in the PL is that, I'm sure LvG can give him a week's holiday. SAF did it with Rooney, Schmeichel, Carrick, Ronaldo etc

As for Spurs choosing not to win any trophies. If that's true the players, the managers and the board all need to be sacked.

LVG's quote was saying that we have to play 3412 because we don't have wingers of the quality of Ronaldo and Di Maria. They were just used as examples of the type of player he is referring to. Anyway, he wouldn't have mentioned Di Maria if he had any intention of trying to buy, as he said recently.

LVG's quote was saying that we have to play 3412 because we don't have wingers of the quality of Ronaldo and Di Maria. They were just used as examples of the type of player he is referring to. Anyway, he wouldn't have mentioned Di Maria if he had any intention of trying to buy, as he said recently.

I agree, I think he was using the context of the opponent to talk about the tactic which is why I don't think it's relevant (in either direction) to a bid for Di Maria.

It's impossible to take the Spanish press seriously on this, they'll be running what Mendes (and to a lesser extent, Madrid) feed them. If it sounds better to have multiple bidders, multiple bidders will be named. I still think this is about forcing PSG to act, but if the price is right (and PSG can't buy) I wouldn't be surprised if we do move in.

They don't. The only reason they would have to sell is if they decide to buy Falcao. Then they have to sell because they are on their "three non-EU player" limit. From all accounts Ancelotti would rather keep Di Maria than try and add Falcao. It's only because the price on Falcao is getting tempting that Perez can't stop thinking about the idea.

That said, Di Maria wants respect (aka, in this context, a payrise) and Perez doesn't like being pushed. If Di Maria pushes hard enough he's more likely to get a transfer than a suitably respectful payrise.

I think we do have an offer on the table and that's where it's staying. We aren't going to outbid the wages offer from PSG or Monaco and we aren't going to chase the €70m+ that Madrid and PSG were talking about. Of course there's the added factor that this is a Mendes deal - if he can tie it up with another Mendes deal (like Falcao) he gets two bites at the same transfer money.

Interesting. Out of interest, what's he on at the moment, significantly less than big signings? I guess if they're not prepared to pay him what the other stars are on then he's well within his rights to force a move through, given his form last season.

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Surely Madrid will want to capitalise on him this summer than let him fester away this season and lose him cut price next summer?

The second Madrid bring the price down, PSG and Monaco will be back in the race.
PSG couldn't even afford to pay the €9m that Toulouse were asking for Aurier due to FFP hence the loan. Monaco seem like they're interested but the player isn't very enthusiastic about joining them, is what i've read.

Interesting. Out of interest, what's he on at the moment, significantly less than big signings? I guess if they're not prepared to pay him what the other stars are on then he's well within his rights to force a move through, given his form last season.

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Surely Madrid will want to capitalise on him this than let him fester away this season and lose him cut price next summer?

That's where Perez would disagree. He doesn't like renegotiating contracts - Madrid are generally strict about it. Di Maria has already had one early payrise, which makes Prez even less willing to concede. It's believed he's now on €3.5m net. For comparison Khedira / Arbeloa /Marcelo are on around €2m and Pepe / Modric are on about €4.5m.

That's where Perez would disagree. He doesn't like renegotiating contracts - Madrid are generally strict about it. Di Maria has already had one early payrise, which makes Prez even less willing to concede. It's believed he's now on €3.5m net. For comparison Khedira / Arbeloa /Marcelo are on around €2m and Pepe / Modric are on about €4.5m.

So about €67k a week then? That's surprisingly low, are there other rights he might make money from, or do Madrid hoover them up for all players they sign, not just the galactico types?

Is Perez vindictive enough to let him rot next year if a team doesn't match his valuation? Would he take a slightly reduced fee for him if it meant getting rid of a unhappy player?

I don't think we'll be in for him unless the fee comes down to Ozil-ish prices, and even then I've got a feeling that LVG has made his mind up this season about the system he's playing and won't buy players that aren't ideally suited to it (which I don't think Di Maria is). It's a nice-to-have rather than desperately need kinda decision for me.

So about €67k a week then? That's surprisingly low, are there other rights he might make money from, or do Madrid hoover them up for all players they sign, not just the galactico types?

Image rights are shared mostly 50:50 at Madrid except where the player is powerful enough to negotiate something different. Remember that's net of tax so gross is about €140k/£120k week. At United that probably puts him ahead of everyone except Mata, RvP, Rooney - even without a payrise. But United tend to be more generous with image rights.

Marca online - answering a question about Di Maria to United:
Pues no te sé decir. He leído tantas cosas y tantos posibles fichajes para el Manchester United y se han realizado tan pocos que ya no distingo lo que es rumor de lo que tiene algo de peso. Además, antes de entrar hay que dejar salir, y Van Gaal tiene siete jugadores con los que no cuenta. Iremos viendo.

Don't know what to say. I've read so many things about so many possible signings for Manchester United and there have been so few actual signings, I can no longer distinguish what is rumour from reports that have some weight. There's also the question of exits, and Van Gaal has seven players that he doesn't plan to use. We will see.

So, don't expect any clarity from Spain on this. Even the Marca reporters have given up guessing - the odd bored intern with a space to fill, quotes a UK paper but that's it, no actual information, except to note that Di Maria was smiling with Ancelotti as they got off the plane in Cardiff today, which isn't exactly decisive.

Or as another Marca gossip reporter said on a TV show today (rough translation):
"People keep saying United are in for lots of players. Everyone knows they have money and they need to buy - so they get linked to players, all the players. No one knows who they are buying."

And Spanish teams don't? How do you know this? If the premiership teams were winning the Europa league then you can bet your life on the fact that sky sports and premiership fans would be saying that is was further proof that the epl was the best league in the world. Also saying that a player that has performed well vs Bayern, barca (in both the league match and the cup final), and atletico as well as being the man of the match in the CL final in addition to having to prove how versatile and adaptable a player he is by changing his position this season and absolutely excelling in it and having a world class season would struggle due to not getting a break and would blow mostly cold in the premiership is a bit mental tbh. I would even go so far to say Rawkish.

So PSG arent interested, we arent interested. Monaco? Chelsea?

And Spanish teams don't? How do you know this? If the premiership teams were winning the Europa league then you can bet your life on the fact that sky sports and premiership fans would be saying that is was further proof that the epl was the best league in the world.

I'll say it again but it's not even close to comparable situations. Premier League clubs have always prioritized league performance over Europa League because improved finishing position in the PL has a greater financial incentive and is a more realistic and achievable target for them over winning the Europa. This is because of how the TV money is far more equitably divided in England.

Spanish clubs don't have great financial incentive to do much else other than avoid relegation (which any team with the quality to win the EL shouldn't be worried about) since eac club negotiates it's own TV and media rights deals. The extra fixtures the Europa League offers provides them more opportunities to increase revenue and profits. Now that the winner of the Europa League will clinch a Champions League spot I would expect English clubs to put forth a greater effort in competing throughout the competition.

I'll say it again but it's not even close to comparable situations. Premier League clubs have always prioritized league performance over Europa League because improved finishing position in the PL has a greater financial incentive and is a more realistic and achievable target for them over winning the Europa. This is because of how the TV money is far more equitably divided in England.

Spanish clubs don't have great financial incentive to do much else other than avoid relegation (which any team with the quality to win the EL shouldn't be worried about) since eac club negotiates it's own TV and media rights deals. The extra fixtures the Europa League offers provides them more opportunities to increase revenue and profits. Now that the winner of the Europa League will clinch a Champions League spot I would expect English clubs to put forth a greater effort in competing throughout the competition.
What you said about the money and all that is true, but we do not work at these clubs so I do not know why people are talking as if they know how serious a team takes a competition in comparison to others and what is in a teams best interests at a particular given moment. That is why I stay away from the twitter and transfer speculation threads for the most part as it is mostly full of shit and people talking about things as if they are facts even though it is just something they read from an unreliable source. Like I said before, I remain adamant that if the premiership teams were winning the Europa league then it would be used as an endorsement for the league. For sure winning the Europa league does not prove a league is the strongest or even one of the strongest but if a premiership team won it I am sure that it would then become the case that it is.

What you said about the money and all that is true, but we do not work at these clubs so I do not know why people are talking as if they know how serious a team takes a competition in comparison to others and what is in a teams best interests at a particular given moment. That is why I stay away from the twitter and transfer speculation threads for the most part as it is mostly full of shit and people talking about things as if they are facts even though it is just something they read from an unreliable source. Like I said before, I remain adamant that if the premiership teams were winning the Europa league then it would be used as an endorsement for the league. For sure winning the Europa league does not prove a league is the strongest or even one of the strongest but if a premiership team won it I am sure that it would then become the case that it is.
This...

If Di Maria signed for us, he'd be as frustrating as Nani is. I really don't see him setting the Premier League alight. It would be a poor signing, especially for the price tag.

What in the world are you talking about? Nani isn't even close to the level of Di Maria you're out of your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.