Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe the quotes.

Simple as this, we will see what happen in the end of the summer windows. If we sign a winger then we are going to use 433 in most of our games. If we sign a centre back then we are going to use 352 in most of our games. If we don't sign anyone else then LVG is still not sure about our best formation this season. I don't see us to sign another midfield this summer. If one to join, one must go. And so far we haven't sell a single of them.

The quotes are real, I went and found the article myself since no one in here bothered.

They are here or see the spoiler.

Louis van Gaal celebrated his 63rd birthday on Friday. Next weekend, the next chapter in his life begins in earnest when Manchester United play Swansea City in the first Premier League game under his charge.

Relatively elderly managers haven’t always fared well when working in England for the first time.

Fabio Capello didn’t have the patience or inclination to learn English properly after a career in Italy and Spain. Sven Goran Eriksson used a chauffeur to ferry him about because he felt he was too old to learn how to drive on the left.

Van Gaal insists he won’t be a fossil. ‘I’ll drive myself to the training ground,’ he promises. ‘I have already driven in England, in 1996 in a brand new Mercedes 600 SL.

‘I was invited by the Umbro president and I drove myself. It’s an easy job! It is only a problem when it is late and there are no other cars there, otherwise you can just follow the car in front of you.

‘I think I’ll be able to adapt though I’ll only know for certain when the Premier League begins. Football is football everywhere and, I’m sorry, but I have survived.’

For all the warnings about Van Gaal being authoritarian and demanding, he cuts an affable and relaxed figure as he sits down with the Mail on Sunday ahead of the big kick off.

He likes to intersperse his pantomime glares with plenty of smiles and laughter.

Undoubtedly, he’s had an intense start to life at Old Trafford.

Delayed by Holland’s run to the World Cup semi-finals, he’s been in his new job just three weeks and travelled nearly 15,000 miles in that time. A positive omen is the club have already won two trophies under his leadership; the International Champions Cup by beating Roma, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Liverpool in America, and the Manchester Senior Cup, in which 18-year-old striker James Wilson scored four goals in the final against Manchester City.

Only two new players have arrived so far, Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera but Van Gaal doesn’t gloss over the fact that the team, who finished seventh last year under David Moyes, are short in certain areas.

Interestingly, he does little to dampen speculation that he’d be interested in securing Real Madrid’s £55million winger Angel Di Maria and £15million Ajax wing-back Daley Blind, particularly after Barcelona secured the signing of Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen. Roma’s Kevin Strootman is a January target.

‘You cannot compare players how the players will do under the guidance of Moyes with those same players under the guidance of Louis van Gaal. Every trainer and coach and manager wants a different style of play and different tactics,’ he outlines.

‘Now we have five number 9s and four number 10s and we don’t have wingers to play attacking width, not at the highest level, of Ronaldo or Di Maria or something like that. So I have to play also in another way and you have seen that.’

‘It’s a strategy of Manchester United to buy players who are on the way up and getting better, but I only buy when I think we need to.’

‘If they are at the level I want them to be, then I will sign Dutch players,’ he states.

‘Dutch players are usually cheaper than players of other nationalities and they have usually been very well educated in the Netherlands, I believe.

‘But they have to be of a level than can play well in the English Premier League. You have to ask yourself if that is the case with every player.’

Much has been made of Van Gaal’s success in the past with young players, something in line with the United philosophy dating back to the Busby Babes and continued by Sir Alex Ferguson.

Van Gaal won the Champions League with Ajax when Patrick Kluivert, Kanu, Edgar Davids, Clarence Seedorf and Edwin van der Sar were emerging. At Barcelona, he gave Andres Iniesta and Xavi their big break.

He’d like to do the same at United and will lean on assistant-manager Ryan Giggs on who deserves a chance. But he is also keen to stress the players have to be good enough as well as young enough.

‘Ryan Giggs is my assistant manager because I always want someone on my staff who knows and understands the culture of the club,’ adds Van Gaal, whose methods have won trophies in their bucketload at Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and AZ Alkmaar.

‘Ryan has mentioned some players to me and I have seen some of them play in the matches.

‘I have one rule for young players; to get in my team they have to be better than the player they are replacing.

‘It isn't tough for me to put young players into my team. When they are better, they play. It's that easy. For me, age is not important and experience is not important. It is the ability of the player that is the important thing.’

The likes of Wilfried Zaha, Jesse Lingard, Nick Powell, Will and Michael Keane, and James Wilson will wait with baited breath to see if their chance comes this season or if a loan period elsewhere is required first.

The partnership of Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie is one that neither Sir Alex Ferguson nor David Moyes got to grips with properly.

Van Gaal knows Van Persie personally and with the Dutchman absent so far after a post-World Cup break, has got to see Rooney close hand. Before, Rooney has been a threat to Van Gaal’s teams, particularly in 2010 when Bayern played United in the Champions League semi-final.

‘I liked him when I was the manager of his opponent,’ said Van Gaal. ‘He is always working very hard, has a high level and can make goals. He did that in America, four goal in his first three matches is not so bad I think!

‘But we have to wait and see, we are now in the beginning of the preparation. The physical training will go on before our first league match.’

The hidden warning to Rooney could have come out of Ferguson’s mouth. The legendary United boss was occasionally irritated by the player’s fluctuating physical condition.

Fergie won’t be a overbearing presence to Van Gaal as he was to Moyes. The Dutchman says he will pick the Scotsman’s brains over coffee or dinner at some stage, but their initial communication has been brief and to the point.

‘He just wished me luck and that was it. It isn’t disappointing, it is normal. I did the same when I was in the same position as him.

Ferguson was the consummate man-manager, getting good players to feel right about themselves and perform on the pitch. Moyes liked the coaching side of the game.

Van Gaal’s strength is he can do both. A natural people person who nonetheless thinks a manager can orchestrate success through tactics.

‘The World Cup didn’t teach us anything new. Every system has been tried before in football. It’s how you prepare your team to do against the system of the opponents, that is the thing that always makes the difference.’

Interestinly, almost everyone here has missed the next sentence.

‘Now we have five number 9s and four number 10s and we don’t have wingers to play attacking width, not at the highest level, of Ronaldo or Di Maria or something like that. So I have to play also in another way and you have seen that.’

‘It’s a strategy of Manchester United to buy players who are on the way up and getting better, but I only buy when I think we need to.’

It's clear to see van Gaal wants players, now it's just a matter if Woodward can deliver facts and not just talk.

Last edited:
I get it Stu, we've all been burned over the years transfer wise by the club but I feel as though when Moyes left a new day dawned and we are finally operating in a modern fashion.

I believe by next week your tune may change :)
Ravi i felt the same. I mean i'm quite cynical with us when it comes to transfers (can you blame me after recent years?) but i honestly thought that there would be no or very little bullshit this window simply because of the mess Moyes left us in and the fact that we REALLY need to bring some serious quality into the squad BUT it seems to be all happening the same way it does every window, get linked to a few worldclass players but end up with none of them, be told from the chief exec how big we are and how much money we have but then for whatever reason fail to follow through.
I'm sick and bored of it to be honest.

Ravi i felt the same. I mean i'm quite cynical with us when it comes to transfers (can you blame me after recent years?) but i honestly thought that there would be no or very little bullshit this window simply because of the mess Moyes left us in and the fact that we REALLY need to bring some serious quality into the squad BUT it seems to be all happening the same way it does every window, get linked to a few worldclass players but end up with none of them, be told from the chief exec how big we are and how much money we have but then for whatever reason fail to follow through.
I'm sick and bored of it to be honest.

You are correct, we should have signed players like Vidal and benatia as soon as we knew they were available because all of us knew we needed a top CM and CB.
I am making allowances for LVG completing the World Cup then him needing to personally access the players so I defer to his experience.

I do not think for a second LVG will allow us to start the season without the players he wants.
If woodie isn't performing, I think he understands that LVG will make his life unpleasant.

Next week I full anticipate either Di Maria or Cuadrado and our CB, whoever that may be.
If Vidal's knee is ok I think we'll sign him too, there is too much smoke there not to be a fire.

If LVG wasn't here I would be panicking but I think with him at the helm we will be ok.

You are correct, we should have signed players like Vidal and benatia as soon as we knew they were available because all of us knew we needed a top CM and CB.
I am making allowances for LVG completing the World Cup then him needing to personally access the players so I defer to his experience.

I do not think for a second LVG will allow us to start the season without the players he wants.
If woodie isn't performing, I think he understands that LVG will make his life unpleasant.

Next week I full anticipate either Di Maria or Cuadrado and our CB, whoever that may be.
If Vidal's knee is ok I think we'll sign him too, there is too much smoke there not to be a fire.

If LVG wasn't here I would be panicking but I think with him at the helm we will be ok.

Yep, If Woody is messing, we will for sure hear about it. LVG is too direct a person.

...I do not think for a second LVG will allow us to start the season without the players he wants...

What a bizarre statement. It's not all under his control. The players he wants might not want to come, or their clubs might not choose to sell them, or the costs (fees and wages) might be more than the United money-bags are willing to pay.

What a bizarre statement. It's not all under his control. The players he wants might not want to come, or their clubs might not choose to sell them, or the costs (fees and wages) might be more than the United money-bags are willing to pay.

Then he will move to the plan b and c type players, the Dutch league has those types of players and for cheap as well....we won't start the season short handed, I would place a wager on that if you like.... :)

I think it's true, last season Di Maria was one of the top 3 attackers in Europe.

Thing was, he wasn't even playing purely as an attacker, and was asked to play in several roles for Madrid such as central midfield, and excelling in all. He is an incredibly versatile player, one of the best in the world for that too. To me he is easily worth £40 million based on his overall Madrid career, and it's shocking to think that they are considering getting rid of him.

He also sounds committed to 3412 going by that article. I don't think he has said anything about being interested in Di Maria. Its just an assumption made by the writer because he mentions that he's a good winger.

Does this mean van Gaal doesn't rate Young, Valencia, Nani or Zaha as wingers?

I think Nani is off, Zaha out on loan, which leaves us with two wingers who have been out of form for a while. Valencia may also lack the attacking qualities for a winger in a 433 maybe? Van Gaal may want someone a bit more dynamic and creative seeing as you would lose a striker to play the system.

Thing was, he wasn't even playing purely as an attacker, and was asked to play in several roles for Madrid such as central midfield, and excelling in all. He is an incredibly versatile player, one of the best in the world for that too. To me he is easily worth £40 million based on his overall Madrid career, and it's shocking to think that they are considering getting rid of him.

On his last season form it wouldn't be out of order to pay £50m for a player of that calibre.
It is shocking that the only reason they are getting rid of him is that James is prettier (aka more marketable)

Ducker and Herbert did mention afew weeks back that we were monitoring Di Maria so hopefully we have got to the bid preparation stage now.

Would take him here in a heartbeat.. Absolute top drawer player who became available through no fault of his own.
Real are mad to let him go but it is what is it.

Now that PSG are out of the running.. Surely we have a chance of getting him.

Fee wise what are Real looking for around 40m

Would take him here in a heartbeat.. Absolute top drawer player who became available through no fault of his own.
Real are mad to let him go but it is what is it.

Now that PSG are out of the running.. Surely we have a chance of getting him.

Fee wise what are Real looking for around 40m

Letting him go is as crazy as when they let go robben and snijeder

Its clearly a luxury signing at the movement,with priority being at CB,CM.As well how are we going to fit him in, if we are going to sing him with too much attacking payer at our disposal.

Would rather play him CM than as a WB. But ideally, he would be a RW for us. Beside RVP up front and Mata LW. :drool:

Would rather play him CM than as a WB. But ideally, he would be a RW for us. Beside RVP up front and Mata LW. :drool:

Mata as a 10 though pal.. Takes so much from his game on the wing.

Di Maria would play as a winger, no doubt after seeing LvG comments today.. The signing that will probably allow him to go back to 4-3-3

Mata as a 10 though pal.. Takes so much from his game on the wing.

Di Maria would play as a winger, no doubt after seeing LvG comments today.. The signing that will probably allow him to go back to 4-3-3
I don't think he's confident enough in his defence to use a traditional back four. Need a new CB at the least.

I don't think he's confident enough in his defence to use a traditional back four. Need a new CB at the least.

It seems a change to 4-3-3 would occur if LvG could get a winger of real quality so obviously Di Maria would provide that. That formation does have it's drawbacks ala Rooney but defence shouldn't be a problem.

Decide on a partnership, run of games for the pair and that will be that. A new cb is a must anyway.. We have 3 options for 2/potentially 3 positions every week and said players don't exactly have an immaculate injury record.

On his last season form it wouldn't be out of order to pay £50m for a player of that calibre.
It is shocking that the only reason they are getting rid of him is that James is prettier (aka more marketable)
There's nothing shocking about it. United know as well as anyone the importance of pretty players (as you aptly put it) with the likes of Beckham and Ronaldo.

There's nothing shocking about it. United know as well as anyone the importance of pretty players (as you aptly put it) with the likes of Beckham and Ronaldo.

Tru ***, marketing is serious business these days...all my nephews either have Ronaldo or neymar shirts.
I had a becks shirt back in the day too :)

Tru ***, marketing is serious business these days...all my nephews either have Ronaldo or neymar shirts.
I had a becks shirt back in the day too :)
I even started a thread about signing pretty players years ago, before we signed Ronaldo. ;)

I really think that's possible. Seems like FFP is designed to protect United as well as RM.

:fingers crossed:

I think if Vidal's knee is ok he is as good as ours.
We will end up with either Di Maria or Cuadrado and blind as well.
Not sure about the cb, but benatia is the best available at the moment.

I see no reason why we cant get 3 of them before the window closes.

Ah we all had Beckham 7, no shame in that..

Judging by your username.. Where you a big fan of Neville? :D

I appreciated the work that the nevilles did but something about their personalities doesn't endear them to me.
Gary nevilles commentary on all things MUFC has been atrocious so I wouldn't model a user name after him... Ravi is actually my real name :)

If he leaves Real Madrid then he comes to us

Barca: No way for many reasons
Bayern Munich: They don't need him unless they're selling one of Müller/Götze/Robben/Ribery
PSG: Out
Monaco: No chance with FFP
Man City: No chance with FFP (although he would be perfect for them on the right wing)
Arsenal: They don't need him at all
Chelsea: They don't need him unless they're selling one of Hazard/Schürrle/Oscar and FFP should be a problem too if he costs at least 50m

But apparently he's totally pissed off that Real Madrid don't rate him after his amazing last season and there's no chance that he'll be in Real Madrid's line-up next season with the new signings

I hope we're really interested in him because i think then he's ours (even without CL football)

If he leaves Real Madrid then he comes to us

Barca: No way for many reasons
Bayern Munich: They don't need him unless they're selling one of Müller/Götze/Robben/Ribery
PSG: Out
Monaco: No chance with FFP
Man City: No chance with FFP (although he would be perfect for them on the right wing)
Arsenal: They don't need him at all
Chelsea: They don't need him unless they're selling one of Hazard/Schürrle/Oscar and FFP should be a problem too if he costs at least 50m

But apparently he's totally pissed off that Real Madrid don't rate him after his amazing last season and there's no chance that he'll be in Real Madrid's line-up next season with the new signings

I hope we're really interested in him because i think then he's ours (even without CL football)
Monaco just sold Rodriguez for big money so I don't think FFP would hamper them.

Status
Not open for further replies.