Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
surprised anyone still thinks Di Maria has any prospect of coming here. It makes the Vidal deal look certain!

Don't really want him either, as I'm intrigued how this 3-4-2-1 might work.

Good plan, let's not buy a world class winger so you're not left wondering would it ever have worked out.

Because we'd play a 4312 and Di Maria would be in the three. Mata's the one, behind two forwards.
I'm struggling to work out how that formation would offer both width and suitable defensive cover.

If the full backs go forward would the holding mid in the midfield 3 drop back?

Because we'd play a 4312 and Di Maria would be in the three. Mata's the one, behind two forwards.

Erm...yes that would be how 4-3-1-2 would work. My point was 4-3-3 doesn't work with the players we currently have up front never mind adding Di Maria to it.

Erm...yes that would be how 4-3-1-2 would work. My point was 4-3-3 doesn't work with the players we currently have up front never mind adding Di Maria to it.
Rooney--------RVP--------Di Maria
-------------Mata------------------
---Herrera---------Carrick-------

Why wouldn't that work?

Why wouldn't that work?

If we get di Maria that's exactly how I think we'd line up. Having said that I think we are actually in for cuadrado not di Maria.

Why wouldn't that work?

Personally I think that midfield would be in the same trouble we've been in for years against athletic , strong, high pressing midfield's, we really could do with some power in there, I'm not talking about a clogger mind you. The other issue is Rooney on the left, van Gaal has been using this 3-4-3 system to get our best attackers into their best roles, Rooney is not and never will be a wide forward, he's a striker and one of the best. To me we can only start to think about moving to 4-3-3 when we decide that Rooney and RvP don't both have to start.

Why wouldn't that work?

Because Wayne Rooney is not a left winger, he's either a no.10 or in his best position which is centre forward.

Why wouldn't that work?

Because Rooney isn't a left winger, and its very unbalanced. If the fullbacks bomb forward, there is not much cover from midfield. When LVG suggested 433 I had always expected something like this:

CM - CM
DM
LB - CB - CB - RB
The width comes from the fullbacks, and the DM, someone like Jones or De Jong, drops back to cover for the CBs in case we lose the ball and they counter. LVG stated that he is playing 352 because it gets the best out of our players, because we have so many 10s and strikers. In a 433 at least one of our strikers will suffer, most likely being Rooney. He has never been particularly convincing cutting in from the left.

If Rooney isn't a left winger then Januzaj can play that position. The 4-3-3 would be better for Januzaj cause he could cover two positions. The team would have more pace and unpredictability aswell.

Yeah but in this current formation there are only 2 CM's with the front 3 ahead of them. He is perfect for a 4-3-3 either in midfield or one of the wingers. 5-3-2 doesn't accommodate wingers.

We basically need an injury to RVP, Rooney or Mata to enable LvG to change to a 4-3-3, as 5-3-2 is the only formation where you can play all 3 in their best positions.
How do we know LVG wont mix it with a 4-3-3 or future planning of 4-3-3 when we eventually return to playing European football ?

Why wouldn't that work?

Whereas I'd look at it as:
Rooney - RVP
Mata
Herrera - Carrick/Fletcher - Di Maria
or similar

If you look at Koke/Arda at Atletico, neither of them are played as wingers, but they provide width.

Whereas I'd look at it as:
Rooney - RVP
Mata
Herrera - Carrick/Fletcher - Di Maria
or similar

If you look at Koke/Arda at Atletico, neither of them are played as wingers, but they provide width.
Koke has very good delivery from outwide but he's not a player one should expect to provide width.

Koke has very good delivery from outwide but he's not a player one should expect to provide width.

Nor would Herrera be - he'd be part of a Shaw/Herrera combi. I'm thinking more about where Di Maria would play. All formations have issues. The best coaches are the ones who can manipulate a structure to make the best use of his players. Ancelotti did it with Di Maria at Madrid and found a very flexible player. I'm sure LvG would do the same.

Though actually this still looks like 90%+ PSG's deal of course.

Nor would Herrera be - he'd be part of a Shaw/Herrera combi. I'm thinking more about where Di Maria would play. All formations have issues. The best coaches are the ones who can manipulate a structure to make the best use of his players. Ancelotti did it with Di Maria at Madrid and found a very flexible player. I'm sure LvG would do the same.

Though actually this still looks like 90%+ PSG's deal of course.
I never said Herrera would be someone who would provide width.

If you scroll up this page you will see my post where I where suggested how the system would work and how it would be more beneficial for Januzaj aswell.

Don't think we are in for him. Seems very likely we were used by Madrid to try and get PSG to stump up the cash but it hasn't worked if that quote is legit.

Doesnt say much. They'll probably still get him. If not though and Di Maria really wants to leave we should be in for him.

Doesnt say much. They'll probably still get him. If not though and Di Maria really wants to leave we should be in for him.

Think the problem will be LVG wanting players who want Utd - him being desperate to leave does not equal him wanting Utd. Could be Monaco bound.

Saw this coming a mile off, there was a lot of hot air about it and at one point it looked on but there was literally no mention of PSG selling any of their current players.

They could have sold us Veratti for 30m easily and Lavezzi to someone for 20m even though he is worth more and bought him but they never had any inclination to do that.

Secondary a positive to come out of this is that Edison Cavani is probably going nowhere since that would have given them a hefty fee of which they could have paid for some of Di Maria.

If Madrid are serious about 70m for him they must be dreaming there are two clubs in world football that can pay that and realistically pull it off outside of FFP and thats us and Barcelona.

I think he is a brilliant player but I dotn think he cares where he plays as long as he is handsomely rewarded and well frankly he can do one. Im happy with our options in the wing back role on the left and Caudrado would be brilliant for us on the right.

Althoough for a 4-3-3 him and Caudrado flanking a striker would be very cool.

A negotiating ploy?

We ought to stump the money for him if available.

The club always talks about how hard it is to find players that genuinely offer something different than what we already have or who enhance selection.

There is nothing comparable to Di Maria in this United squad.

Why would Ibra be against signing Di Maria you'd think he'd rather him out wide supplying his chances than Moura or Lavezzi.

PSG could only sign him if Madrid agreed to a loan, wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason the deal collapsed.

€50m will do the trick if someone offers that to Madrid.

Think the problem will be LVG wanting players who want Utd - him being desperate to leave does not equal him wanting Utd. Could be Monaco bound.

With players like Di Maria you take them when they are available. And I'm sure he much rather played for united than freaking Monaco.

Don't think we are in for him. Seems very likely we were used by Madrid to try and get PSG to stump up the cash but it hasn't worked if that quote is legit.

I think PSG were hoping for some FFP dodging magic trick and for whatever reason, Madrid wouldn't play. Possibly as a warning to their own players about taking wages offers from PSG etc too seriously.

I hope he will stay so my dream to play with 11 attackers will be a bit closer.

:nono:
3 keepers + 8 attackers.

I'd love the club to go all out for Di Maria, but knowing us, we'll pull out if Madrid request anything more than 30 odd million. He'd suit us perfectly and would be the first winger we've bought that's actually worthy of playing on Ronaldo's wing, since he left.

PSG couldn't pay €9m euros for Aurier hence had to loan him nevermind Di Maria.

That makes things more interesting. Apparently he's told Ancelotti he wants to leave as well.

I can't see us paying anywhere near the amount they want for him.

If we were to bring in someone like Di Maria, I think it would be time to accept that Rooney and RVP will have to be in competition for places, like this:

DDG
Rafa - Smalling - Evans - Shaw
Herrera - Carrick
Januzaj - Mata - Di Maria
RVP/Rooney​

I have a hunch Rooney might outperform RVP this season, but even if he doesn't he's the second choice for every single one of those front four positions so he'd probably get as much game time as ever, just not in one set position.

PSG are having similar problems to what City had when they first ran into money. In order to attract talent they massively overpaid in fee's and wages and now they're really struggling to offload a number of those players who won't leave and go play for 50% less money.

As for Di Maria being too expensive I don't think a club who pays 50m for David Luiz has much of a clue about value.

If we were to bring in someone like Di Maria, I think it would be time to accept that Rooney and RVP will have to be in competition for places, like this:

DDG
Herrera - Carrick
RVP/Rooney​

I have a hunch Rooney might outperform RVP this season, but even if he doesn't he's the second choice for every single one of those front four positions so he'd probably get as much game time as ever, just not in one set position.
That defence would have other PL teams salivating, we need to find a couple of solid defenders

DDG
Herrera - Carrick
RVP/Rooney​

I'd rather just play a diamond and keep both Rooney and RvP playing.

DDG
Carrick
Herrera - Di Maria
Mata
Rooney RvP​

Status
Not open for further replies.