Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two are somewhat linked. Getting Rooney, Van Persie and Mata in their best positions playing well is very good for Manchester United. 4-3-3 doesn't easily (or arguably at all) allow that, 3-5-2 may well do.
With Di Maria in a 4-3-3 all three player could play and it would give us a variety in attack that we don't have currently.

Total bollox, it was nothing to do with lack of pace, it was Moyes shite dinosaur tactics and the players total and utter non belief in those tactics
Oh come off it, the points you add are valid but it is a real issue that we lack pace. The Liverpool game was a classic example, we had no one able to drive away from people to hurt their defence while they had the likes of Sterling going at us with real pace. We're going to have to be bloody precise this year because we're not going to rip through teams with speed.

Oh come off it, the points you add are valid but it is a real issue that we lack pace. The Liverpool game was a classic example, we had no one able to drive away from people to hurt their defence while they had the likes of Sterling going at us with real pace. We're going to have to be bloody precise this year because we're not going to rip through teams with speed.

The Liverpool game we were out thought and out played, didn't Brendan say he played Sterling in the hole in that game to get between our lines, Moyes did feck all to counter it, nothing to do with pace, you could have put Ronaldo, Bale and Robben in that team last year and we still would have been shite.

How would they line up and who would be behind them?

I actually think Di Maria and Herrera have such good engines that we could maybe play the old Milan diamond:

-----Rooney------RVP-----
----------Mata-------------
-Di Maria-------Herrera--
Shaw-----DM---------Rafael
----Evans---Smalling/Jones

Probably need a more mobile DM than Carrick, though, since he'd have a fair amount of room to cover in literally every direction. Also, we'd need to have the ball a lot.

beIN sports claiming the deal is done, £8m payment for a loan followed by a permanent deal the next summer for obvious reasons:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...Saint-Germain-strike-Angel-Di-Maria-loan-deal

For those who say "But that's the express", yes it is, but they are reporting it from beIN.

That was bein reported a week or so ago. But then after consideration, Real wanted the money upfront instead.

I guess Teveth has had a word in Di Maria's ear (as was reported), or that Di Maria compared living in Paris to Manchester. Plus Champions League football too..

We dont even know if we were in for him in the 1st place though, so i couldnt give a shit. Just sick of it all at this stage to be honest..

That was bein reported a week or so ago. But then after consideration, Real wanted the money upfront instead.

I guess Teveth has had a word in Di Maria's ear (as was reported), or that Di Maria compared living in Paris to Manchester. Plus Champions League football too..

We dont even know if we were in for him in the 1st place though, so i couldnt give a shit. Just sick of it all at this stage to be honest..

He is an absolutely cracking player, but I don't think we had any interest in him either. I reckon they will pay another £32 million next year to round it up to a nice £40 million, and we have 2 priorities in defence and midfield before we buy a player with that price.

He is an absolutely cracking player, but I don't think we had any interest in him either. I reckon they will pay another £32 million next year to round it up to a nice £40 million, and we have 2 priorities in defence and midfield before we buy a player with that price.

Money's not an issue with us though RS - as we've been told by United.

If we dont compete for the Prem this season - and not in an Arsenal type of way either, then serious questions have to asked, given the sums of money we have available to us to achieve that aim right now.

I hope i'm not alone in this thinkin?

Mendes met Perez today and it's assumed he had an (accounting magic) offer to present from PSG. I wonder if he visited United as well.

Money's not an issue with us though RS - as we've been told by United.

If we dont compete for the Prem this season - and not in an Arsenal type of way either, then serious questions have to asked, given the sums of money we have available to us to achieve that aim right now.

I hope i'm not alone in this thinkin?

Yeah I don't think money is too much of an issue too, as we have already spent £60 million and talk of more additions which could easily pass the £100 million mark and our record summer spending. However, let's say hypothetically we spend £40 million on Vidal, then another £30 million on a top CB, then would we spend another £40 million on a player who we haven't got a place for his favourite position? He would either have to play as a wingback or he would play as one of the two players behind the strikers, where we already have a plethora of attack.

Originally I thought he was someone we desperately needed, but if van Gaal is intent on playing 3-5-2, then I'm not sure how he would have fit him in. You're 100% right on the questions asked part; of all this big talk from Woody and how we will make the signings we need, the team will now need to deliver on the premier league front big time.

United must fend off Bayern to sign Di Maria
Duncan Castles Published: 3 August 2014
di-maria-main_1085806k.jpg
Di Maria is hot property as Real Madrid place him on the market Photograph: Michael Regan/2014 Getty Images

MANCHESTER UNITED believe their attempts to spend a club-record transfer fee on Angel Di Maria have been bolstered by Paris Saint-Germain’s difficulties adhering to Uefa financial fair play sanctions. The Argentina international had been placed on the market by Real Madrid at an asking price of £55m and had encouraged PSG’s advances ahead of United’s because the French title-holders will play Champions League football this season.

While PSG’s Qatar ownership has the financial wherewithal to outmuscle United on Di Maria’s fee and salary, the club has been forced to take heed of a Financial Fair Play settlement that “significantly limits spending” in this season’s transfer market and prevents it from increasing total salary costs. PSG calculate that they need to sell two players before concluding a deal for Di Maria, with buyers being sought for Ezequiel Lavezzi and Javier Pastore.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/Premiership/article1442115.ece

AS: Next 48-72 hours decisive in Angel Di Maria transfer saga. Player expected back in Real Madrid training on Tuesday, still no PSG deal.

AS: Real rejected PSG's loan offer of €10m & future €65m fee. Another meeting planned today/tomorrow. Di Maria still expected to join PSG.

If so.... I think we should pounce

I'd be more surprised if Real Madrid's Angel Di Maria does end up joining PSG than I would be if he doesn't. Deal dragged on for too long.

This should have been wrapped up weeks ago. PSG really struggling to sell.

I can't see where he would fit in now after watching this united side in pre-season, he's not clinical enough up front ... the best position for him would be in midfield but we don't need a Di Maria there, we need a Vidal or a similar style player to that, who can basically do what Fletch did. The other signing we'd need is basically a better version of Welbeck, but even then Januzaj might surprise us in that role.

Midfielder (DM), CB, RWB, Striker/Winger (Sanchez/Robben type). That is our weak spots in the current team.

We definitely need a player like Di Maria if we want to see LVG's favoured 4-3-3 formation.

We definitely need a player like Di Maria if we want to see LVG's favoured 4-3-3 formation.

I agree but on the other hand, we need to sign players who could be guaranteed starters in either formation so we retain that flexibility. It is why a guy like Sanchez would have been ideal. If we commit to a 4-3-3, then by all means commit to Di Maria deal.. but if we are to stick with 3-5-2.. which I think LVG now has a taste for, it is hard to see where he would fit in.

If PSG had the funds then this deal would have already been completed IMO. Speaks volumes that the Spanish Press is saying that the deal is done whereas the French Press is now more cautious about this.

I agree but on the other hand, we need to sign players who could be guaranteed starters in either formation so we retain that flexibility. It is why a guy like Sanchez would have been ideal. If we commit to a 4-3-3, then by all means commit to Di Maria deal.. but if we are to stick with 3-5-2.. which I think LVG now has a taste for, it is hard to see where he would fit in.
Di Maria if signed would be the only player along with Januzaj who could excell in a wide position and as a AM. I believe he's using this system due to our wingers being not of the quality he requires. Di Maria would give him tactical flexibility.

Angel di Maria is very close to join Paris Saint-Germain. Real Madrid will receive around €75M. [El Confidencial]

Di Maria if signed would be the only player along with Januzaj who could excell in a wide position and as a AM. I believe he's using this system due to our wingers being not of the quality he requires. Di Maria would give him tactical flexibility.

I understand that but what I am saying is that are we 100% sure LVG wants to commit to the 4-3-3 system. It comes down to that really, if this signing is to go ahead. LVG might have stumbled upon a formation which he might actually be convinced is his new ideal footballing formation, in which case Di Maria might be an unnecessary signing.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic on Angel di Maria: "Don't ask me about those types of things, ask the manager. I don't make the decisions." #RMCF #PSG

I understand that but what I am saying is that are we 100% sure LVG wants to commit to the 4-3-3 system. It comes down to that really, if this signing is to go ahead. LVG might have stumbled upon a formation which he might actually be convinced is his new ideal footballing formation, in which case Di Maria might be an unnecessary signing.
I think if we manage to sign him then LVG will have a clear formation mapped out for how to incorporate him into the set-up. If not, then I think he will go along with how we've been setting up so far during the pre-season.

If we want to revert to 4-3-3 then Di Maria's place is obvious.

If we still wanted to stick with 3-5-2 then could he be used in midfield? If Kagawa can be used in that way then why not Di Maria? After all, he was probably playing deeper for Madrid last season than Kagawa ever has.

Anyway, Di Maria would be a quality signing but it's really the back half of the team that needs strengthening right now.

For sure... but the reason we aren't playing it already is down to Mata - Rooney - Van Persie and our plethora of attacking players. Signing Di Maria would just add to that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.