Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely he would fit in quite nicely as an attack minded wing back in a 3-5-2?

I don't think it would tbh. Certain posters seem to be overrating his defensive qualities. He is extremely industrious and buzzes around non-stop like an energizer bunny, closing down players non-stop. That was the reason he was included in a midfield trio of Alonso, Modric and himself. It was the perfect midfield trio with a holding midfielder/midfield metronome/attacking midfielder with this particular combination providing the perfect blend of workrate,vision, creativity, drive etc. It only lacked steel but that was made up by Alonso's defensive nous and positioning. It was also perfect when playing counter-attacking football and di Maria playing in the left of the centre midfield could also compensate for Ronaldo's lack of workrate in front of him as well.

Just because he has the workrate and industry doesn't mean he is defensively sound enough to play as a wing-back, we would be severely undermining and under utilizing his talent if that is the role we have for him in our team. Valencia is playing in the right wing back role due to our lack of cover if anything. If we buy di Maria we should simply play him as the most advanced midfielder in a midfield of three like Madrid did last season. It is the best position for him.

Yea but you know, their owner stated that he doesn't give a feck and he's going to buy whoever he wishes, then you've got Platini's son working for them and so on. Maybe I'm paranoid or maybe they're bunch of scum that will somehow avoid any repercussions. Barca were 'banned' on transfers as well, weren't they ?

I share your scepticism's man, but its pretty clear to see that City & PSG have woken up to FFP rules. City havent bought anyone this window as far as i can remember?

And PSG are tryin to sell players - but only for the right prices, so they can spunk a shitload on so-called upgrades.

Monaco are selling players & buying has-beens (Berbatov) or lesser-players of top-class quality than they originally set out to do.

They generate f*ck all revenues at Monaco. They've feck all fan base for starters & i've a feeling the owners will sell up soon enough, as their bubble has burst with spending millions in the past few years. I dont think they'll spend that Rodriguez dosh & it looks like they're trying to sell Falcao aswell to recoup as much as they can.

FFP have put a spanner in the works for new-money clubs now - delighted for the pricks!

Barca got banned from any transfer activity, but they appealed it & were allowed to conduct transfers this window because that appeal wont be heard until Oct / Nov i think?

Its a load of bollox man. That was obviously a deal that was struck before the banning was made..

Barca are the darlings of football - same as Real...

We have 'four' number 10s, this simply wouldn't happen. He wouldn't fit into the system because he isn't better than Mata and even if he was we aren't spunking 50m plus on someone to replace arguably our best player. There's absolutely nothing in this.

Four number 10s are Rooney/Mata/Kagawa and then debatable as to who LVG views as the fourth, Herrera played there for Bilbao and Fellaini has done it for Everton/Belgium etc But in a 3-5-2 Rooney will be one of the two strikers and Kagawa isn't in the same league as any of Di Maria/Mata/Rooney.

Also there's a decent argument to be made that a major reason LVG is playing the 3-5-2 is because we have zero quality in the wider areas and and someone like Di Maria who adds not only quality but tactical flexibility would be perfect in a 4-3-3 which is LVG's preferred system of a 4-2-3-1.

So we're Di Maria's second choice huh. This time next season he'll be calling LVG begging for a transfer, if he ends up staying at Real

All these rumors of these highly paid players leaving PSG and Monaco just show that money won't get you far in an inferior league. These players want out.

Seems like he probably does want to leave but as usual, because of that and United's position, the media concludes he must be coming here. Saw that The Star reported it this weekend too, but that doesn't mean all that much.

Marca reporting that PSG is willing to pay 80 mil € for him but as usual not single quote from them. Non the less the Di Maria to PSG rumors don't seem to go away albeit I don't really know how they are able to make this deal with the FFP warning they already received.

Marca reporting that PSG is willing to pay 80 mil € for him but as usual not single quote from them. Non the less the Di Maria to PSG rumors don't seem to go away albeit I don't really know how they are able to make this deal with the FFP warning they already received.
They have no restrictions on bringing in loan players. If Madrid agree to it, PSG will pay them a loan fee now and then full payment to buy the player next summer.

There were the same sort of stories getting bounded around over the weekend. Nothing new. I still think it pretty much a story leaked to get PSG's finger out and get their end of the deal sorted.

They are probably waiting for player sales before they splash another 50 million.

There were the same sort of stories getting bounded around over the weekend. Nothing new. I still think it pretty much a story leaked to get PSG's finger out and get their end of the deal sorted.

Except that it's now a reputable source reporting the story.

PSG should land him. They don't strike me as the type of club that minds selling one or two key players in a few days.

We should bid for Marquinhos IMO. Throw £30m at them. They need the money and they have Silva and Luiz for the CB spots.

Will be disappointed if we miss out on this opportunity. Truly world class talent and the only competition to his signature appears to be PSG, who despite their oil money we should still beat to players. FFP definitely has them strapped a bit.

Signing Cavani doesn't make a lot of sense unless we plan to gradually replace RVP with him over the season.....I can only see us signing Depay and loaning him back to PSV for another season and also Vermaelen while offloading a few....can't really see us signing any other big names this window

Why all of a sudden everyone thinks we will play 3-5-2?

Di Maria can fit in well in 4-3-3 which I think LvG will use.

Why all of a sudden everyone thinks we will play 3-5-2?

Di Maria can fit in well in 4-3-3 which I think LvG will use.
Because he's said we will, mainly. He wants to be able to use Rooney, Mata and Van Persie in their best positions.

We would have to be insane to overlook this guy. We desperately need someone with his abilities.

We would have to be insane to overlook this guy. We desperately need someone with his abilities.

It would be bullshit if we don't bid for him while we still have zaha, nani and young on the books.
Our wingers are subpar at best.

This isn't gonna happen, it doesn't make sense. Stupid money for a player we can't currently facilitate.

If we got him then the formation would change to 4-3-3 in my opinion. He'd be our best wide player and if he brings the form of last season to United then he'd be the best AM at the club aswell, very versatile which LVG likes.

Absolute no brainer of a signing as far as I'm concerned if he's available.

The only way I could see van Gaal fitting him into this system is as a CM, we don't have one that can really drive the ball out of midfield at pace.

The only way I could see van Gaal fitting him into this system is as a CM, we don't have one that can really drive the ball out of midfield at pace.
He would be the most explosive AM in the team and would fit in perfectly into Van Gaal's philosophy but I personally believe his addition to the team would open the door to playing 4-3-3 which LVG favours.

Arsenal Have Sanchez, Chelsea have Hazard, City have Navas, them players give our rivals more pace and variety in the attacking third something i'm sure LVG will address for us.

He would be the most explosive AM in the team and would fit in perfectly into Van Gaal's philosophy but I personally believe his addition to the team would open the door to playing 4-3-3 which LVG favours.

Arsenal Have Sanchez, Chelsea have Hazard, City have Navas, them players give our rivals more pace and variety in the attacking third something i'm sure LVG will address for us.

I agree that he'd be a fantastic asset and that he could pave the way eventually to 4-3-3, but for this season I think he'd be competing with Ander for starts and that is not ideal.

I agree that he'd be a fantastic asset and that he could pave the way eventually to 4-3-3, but for this season I think he'd be competing with Ander for starts and that is not ideal.
The problem is getting him here will be difficult with PSG sniffing around but if we could then I believe LVG would switch to 4-3-3. We just don't have the quality out wide hence LVG playing the system he's currently playing.

The problem is getting him here will be difficult with PSG sniffing around but if we could then I believe LVG would switch to 4-3-3. We just don't have the quality out wide hence LVG playing the system he's currently playing.

If we switched to 4-3-3 with our current players though LvG would be back with his Mata/Rooney/RvP problem, unless the plan would be to play Mata or Rooney wide.

If we switched to 4-3-3 with our current players though LvG would be back with his Mata/Rooney/RvP problem, unless the plan would be to play Mata or Rooney wide.
Mata could play the Sneijder role with Di Maria and Rooney supporting RVP. Januzaj could also deputize for both Mata and Di Maria aswell so he would get plenty of games.

Would make us an extremely potent attacking force with players who have a variety of strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.