Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've four strikers, and I'd expect Januzaj to be utilised in that fashion.
And waste his vision and ability in such freedom that the role that the #10 in that system provides? Januzaj will be Mata's understudy, he will not be used as a second-striker in these set up.

Look good? Two 88-90 minute goals which were not only a tap in and an open goal but also the culmination of an already demolition job are hardly testament of a player looking good.

I thought he did more than just scoring 2 goals? Found himself in good positions thanks to some nice runs and got an assist... But whatever I'm not here to fight the Young is shit brigade.

I thought he did more than just scoring 2 goals? Found himself in good positions thanks to some nice runs and got an assist... But whatever I'm not here to fight the Young is shit brigade.
:lol: Alrighty then.

Good post mate. Young was arguably the second or third best player in that game, if you don't think he looked good, I'm not sure what you expect.
It was more in reply to your cheeky quip at the end of the post. A half in which he had two goals gifted to him didn't mean he looked good. He missed the easiest chance of the game and made a few incorrect calls in his decision making. It was a half decent performance but it doesn't change the fact he isn't good enough. But hey, I'm not here to fight the Young is good brigade, right? Right?

It was more in reply to your cheeky quip at the end of the post. A half in which he had two goals gifted to him didn't mean he looked good. He missed the easiest chance of the game and made a few incorrect calls in his decision making. It was a half decent performance but it doesn't change the fact he isn't good enough. But hey, I'm not here to fight the Young is good brigade, right? Right?

Far from think that Young has been United standard, me saying the position "even made Young look good" is a testament to that...

Still doesn't change the fact that he was one of our better players that night though. If these two goals were "gifted", what does that make of players like Inzaghi or Chicharito?

Coming back to my original point though, still think Di maria would be great in that role.

Coming back to my original point though, still think Di maria would be great in that role.
Agreed. He'd also be capable of playing the role behind the two forwards, driving at the defenders with pace and ridiculous dribbling which would really split the lines for the likes of Rooney and van Persie to utilise, and his relentless stamina could make some nice interchange with Ander to come in behind. Also gives us the option to play a 4-3-3 or even as a wingback in the 343. Very good signing in my opinion, hope we get him.

Agreed. He'd also be capable of playing the role behind the two forwards, driving at the defenders with pace and ridiculous dribbling which would really split the lines for the likes of Rooney and van Persie to utilise, and his relentless stamina could make some nice interchange with Ander to come in behind. Also gives us the option to play a 4-3-3 or even as a wingback in the 343. Very good signing in my opinion, hope we get him.

He is one of the most versatile footballers in European football today, even if he costs 40-50m, the value he would bring would be worth it.

Did you read what I said in the other thread? The COPE quotes saying he'd decide his future in a few hours came on Thursday night or Friday morning.

You quoted a Metro article which was also posted at 11am on Friday.

Sure, but the article also says that he would make his choice known and as far as I am aware, there has been no announcement. So I'm keeping my hope up until I hear otherwise.

Good post mate. Young was arguably the second or third best player in that game, if you don't think he looked good, I'm not sure what you expect.
Youngs allways played his best football allmost as a second striker, he was englands best player during the euro 2012 qualification playing a more central role, even if he was a winger on the teamsheet.

Youngs allways played his best football allmost as a second striker, he was englands best player during the euro 2012 qualification playing a more central role, even if he was a winger on the teamsheet.
Well if thats his best position or his favorite position, he needs to get the feck out. Well either way he needs to get the feck out. One is he is not good enough to play there and two we already have four players fighting for two positions up front.

We don't sign top players from foreign leagues. We're becoming a less and less attractive option for players now days it used to be just Barca and Madrid but now we can't even compete against PSG, Chelsea, City even Arsenal have changed their transfer strategy.

We don't sign top players from foreign leagues. We're becoming a less and less attractive option for players now days it used to be just Barca and Madrid but now we can't even compete against PSG, Chelsea, City even Arsenal have changed their transfer strategy.
Who says we can't compete with City and Chelsea?

Who says we can't compete with City and Chelsea?
Maybe not City because we've never missed out on target to them I don't think.

But Chelsea we've missed plenty against Robben, Hazard, Essien
Ect....

Marca are reporting DiMaria will sign a five-year deal with PSG for 65M€ and an annual salary of 8M€.

So much for all the talk of PSG respecting FFP and being forced to make a loan move.

AS and Marca have been saying that this deal is done for weeks now. I'd wait for more reliable sources.

Marca are also saying PSG want to sell Lavezzi and Pastore first. Maybe I'm missing something but that surely still doesn't add up to €50/€60m or the €65m (presumably with variables) that Marca are saying? Who's buying them?

Marca are also saying PSG want to sell Lavezzi and Pastore first. Maybe I'm missing something but that surely still doesn't add up to €50/€60m or the €65m (presumably with variables) that Marca are saying? Who's buying them?
I can't see PSG just giving one lump some of 65m. Maybe selling those two would give them some financial grace from FFP if PSG have reached an agreement to pay instalments with Real. Say 30m up front and the rest paid next year. Lavezzi and Pastore would bring 30m, no?

I can't see PSG just giving one lump some of 65m. Maybe selling those two would give them some financial grace from FFP if PSG have reached an agreement to pay instalments with Real. Say 30m up front and the rest paid next year. Lavezzi and Pastore would bring 30m, no?

It'll be paid in instalments anyway I would think, and in accounting terms it will presumably be amortised across the lifetime of the contract. It's how it plays out under their net spend FFP restriction that I'm not sure about.

Absolute bullshit. The manager comes out and specifically states that we've got too many attacking players and as a result the team is unbalanced. Then we splash 50m on another attacking player? Come on. He doesn't even fit our new formation.

Absolute bullshit. The manager comes out and specifically states that we've got too many attacking players and as a result the team is unbalanced. Then we splash 50m on another attacking player? Come on. He doesn't even fit our new formation.
Or we sign a WC player and get rid of some deadwood?

Which of Di Maria or Alexis Sanchez do most people here rate higher?
I'd go with Di Maria. Sanchez can carry an attack more and as an out and out attacker he's better but when Di Maria plays in the midfield role he did last season, his combination of energy and skill is better IMO. It's very hard to find a player who can chase and harry like that, and also beat players and be a big threat.

Did he say we have too many widemen though? From what I've read he was talking about number 10s and possibly strikers too.

Di Maria can play in any formation

He can play the Robben role aswell as the Sneijder role in a 5-3-2. But I don't believe Van Gaal would play that system if he had the opportunity to work with a supremely gifted player like Di Maria.

Would be an absolutely fantastic signing that would make our attack extremely potent.

I think he's too close to PSG now, all the rumours and reports have had that as a done deal for most of the summer.

He could be our Robben. Who knows, he might even be a better wingback than Valencia.

He's not a pure winger. He's good in a midfield three. He's good as the defensive winger in an asymmetrical 442.

He is however, much less consistent than some people seem to imagine. He plays well for a few months (usually when he's trying to renew his contract) then he loses it again. Plus if all that's stopping his PSG deal is FFP (and we're his distinct second choice) he'll probably sit it out for a month on the off chance they come up with a solution.

I have a feeling Marca are trying to do their old friend Perez a favor by trying to force PSG's hand.

He could be our Robben. Who knows, he might even be a better wingback than Valencia.

He's not a pure winger. He's good in a midfield three. He's good as the defensive winger in an asymmetrical 442.

He is however, much less consistent than some people seem to imagine. He plays well for a few months (usually when he's trying to renew his contract) then he loses it again. Plus if all that's stopping his PSG deal is FFP (and we're his distinct second choice) he'll probably sit it out for a month on the off chance they come up with a solution.

Using Di Maria as a wingback would be like blaspheming the Gods of Football.

This is the type of impact signing that LVG & woodie need to make.
If Woodward is looking for a marquee signing then look no further.

He will give us more than Cavani could ever give.

The manager just said that we'll be playing 3:5:2, why would he do that if we were interested in making a signing that would force us to change this formation? He could be our Robben? They're nothing alike. Di Maria doesn't have the presence, the positioning or the finishing to play as a striker. Moreover, can you really imagine buying him and benching one of Mata, Rvp and Mr. 300k-contract Rooney?
He's a world class player but signing him doesn't make any sense. This isn't FIFA. You need balance in the team as much as you need quality.

He would be a very good signing but how will he fit into the 3-5-2 system?

Having Di Maria as a right back essentially would be a crime against football. He is there to create and score goals. He is very one footed hence why he cuts in alot like Robben. Tony V is decent defensively because he is such a traditional one footed one sided winger. Imagine Tony V playing above Shaw on the left, he'd be useless!

Status
Not open for further replies.