Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's a very controversial stance, but does anyone think selling Mata might actually ease up and help us form a more natural lineup?

Maybe he could be part of the deal for Di Maria meaning we would ultimately need to pay less.

Januzaj---------Rooney--------Di Maria

-----------------RVP------------------

That way we can play Januzaj, Di Maria, Rooney and RVP in the same team, all in their preferred positions currently without having to shunt someone (Mata) out of their natural position to play them all, rendering them nowhere near as effective as they can be.

Di Maria is not a wing back, if we could play him as a wing back and he be as effective as he is at Madrid then that would be the ideal and this argument invalid but I can't see it.

It's a much more traditional United style lineup too.

I suppose Rooney could also fall into this category instead of Mata however Rooney just being made our captain I can't see that happening.

Ok maybe it's a bit harsh, cause I love Mata.. he's a genuine nice guy off the pitch as well as a top player, and I don't want him to go, but it just seems it would be easier on all and more natural for everyone with this line up, if we can do that without selling Mata that would be great but I just feel someone is going to need to compromise otherwise. Would be nice to just try it with Mata on the bench or something so if it doesn't work we can bring Mata back however the only reason I suggest selling is it could be used as a weight in the transfer considering they are accepting no less than 75 mil.

Why would Real want Mata? If we want Di Maria, we have the money to get him. Its all about whether LvG wants him as we'l have to revert back to a 4-3-3 if we sign him. Unless LvG is willing to bench RvP which i dont see happening.

As i said above, you could go and look back in any Madrid forum to see what they thought of Di Maria upto what point and What they thought of bringing Mata back who was their academy product at one time.

Anyway, Di maria was kept and not Ozil because of workrate by Ancelotti basically. He wanted someone central to compensate for Bale and Ronaldo out wide and Di Maria did that while Ozil didn't. And Di Maria could alternate with Ronaldo pretty well too.

Also, if we buy Di Maria we will play him wide most likely not central, so we'll have to see if he goes back to his less consistent self out wide. At the World cup in a drifting role from out wide he wasn't that great as well before his injury.
he was their next best player after Messi. He had one poor game in which he ended up scoring the winning goal.

I really don't know where this Mata stuff's coming from. I never heard anything about it at the time. I also thought Di Maria was the better player at the time.

We are not in the position to be picky either as we only have 1 week left to buy someone and we must get back in the Champions League. Players of Di Maria's quality are not available very often so we must go all out for him.
This.

Why would Real want Mata? If we want Di Maria, we have the money to get him. Its all about whether LvG wants him as we'l have to revert back to a 4-3-3 if we sign him. Unless LvG is willing to bench RvP which i dont see happening.

Agree it doesn't make sense, they sold Ozil who is similar to Mata.

Does LVG have a press conference today? Hopefully someone will ask a question about Di Maria...

Does LVG have a press conference today? Hopefully someone will ask a question about Di Maria...

15 30 BST, probably the transfer questions will be in the late second edition on MUTV as last time... Wouldn't hold my breath though, LVG will not discuss names

Just my two penneth.
If we agree that we need to plan long term, then we have to be considering players that will make us competitive in the Champions League.
Real's and Barca's front lines are incredible, so we should be looking at making us harder to score against (in the prem too, obv).
We should be paying top dollar to strengthen defence and midfield, to give us the solid foundations to compete.
A competent midfield and defence would allow the, already high quality attackers we have, to do what they're good at.
Di Maria, at anything more than £30m, or maybe even at all, at this moment, is muppet-fantasy.
We have greater priorities, in my opinion.

15 30 BST, probably the transfer questions will be in the late second edition on MUTV as last time... Wouldn't hold my breath though, LVG will not discuss names
He could say our business is done. :nervous:

Signing Di Maria is a bit like doing bicep curls all day whilst you're stuck in a wheelchair. Sure, you'll have flashy arms and be able to punch someone relatively hard, but since your spine and foundation are fecked the other fella is just going to overpower you in the end. Sign a fecking new spinal cord!

Sounds mental, but that's probably the going rate right now for a player like him, probably in the top 10 in the world.

If Woodward truly feels we have this big huge budget and we're the biggest club around and can afford to break records then ... why the hell not?

Because the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Signing Di Maria is a bit like doing bicep curls all day whilst you're stuck in a wheelchair. Sure, you'll have flashy arms and be able to punch someone relatively hard, but since your spine and foundation are fecked the other fella is just going to overpower you in the end. Sign a fecking new spinal cord!
But that spinal cord has a dodgy knee.

I would take Khedira at this point. Which is probably Ed's plan. Make us so desperate we'll be happy with the cheap option in the end.

I didn't know you could get magic mushrooms in LA!

2012/13 was a poor season for Madrid, neither Ozil nor Di Maria had much of a season. When it became clear that Bale was a target there was a lot of debate about who would go, Isco had come in, Madrid fans were desperately hoping Jese would make the step up. Keep Ozil or Di Maria? It looked as if there was more space for Ozil as Di Maria was seen purely as a winger competing for time with Ronaldo and Bale and even Jese.

The feeling he was a rotation player covering injuries didn't really end until Ancelotti went to 433 - Modric Alonso DiMaria. Suddenly Modric was liberated and so was Di Maria. They still had Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale up top but now they had a real connection between defence and attack. Crucially when Ronaldo's injuries started to take their toll it was Di Maria's flexibility and workrate as well as his flair that let Ancelotti work around it. He was crucial to them.

Which is why he has this pricetag now.

We will still at least need a CM even if we sign Di Maria
Definitely. I wish we had completely overhauled the midfield and gotten 3 in. Now I'd take one given how late it's gotten , but it has to be a really good one.

The only plausible name Ive heard for CM is Lucas Silva
They all seem plausible if we actually want to pay up. But there seems to be nothing in this story about Lucas Silva. Just one or two articles here and there that a few clubs are interested. Also, he seems to be very raw and we'd need a quality midfielder regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.