Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

So you’re suggesting that us with Ten Hag should be having at laugh at Spuds and Postecoglu. That’s like some scouse level dementia from years past. We’re in no shape to be taking the piss out of someone else’s manager.
Why shouldn’t we laugh at them? They’ve lost 7 of their last 11 Premier League games and barely finished above us last season, even with our unprecedented injury crisis. Since that little honeymoon phase at the start of last year, they’ve been absolutely dreadful.

And it’s not like Ange hasn’t been backed—they've had the highest net spend since his arrival. Yet somehow, the team’s still floundering. He even dismisses set pieces, despite the fact that it’s a glaring weakness for his side. Genius move, right? He’s got one high-press, attacking system, and when that inevitably falls apart, he’s got absolutely no answers.

So, yeah, let’s not pretend like they're better than us or somehow they can't be laughed at.

Mates first 10 matches totally hid how poor Spurs actually played in many of them and they should have lost 4/5 of those matches. Got on the positive end of some questionable red cards, penalties not given, that shocking disallowed goal and benefitting from the added time referees plucked out of thin air last season with 3 lates goals.
They got luck going their way against us as well when the Romero handball was not given as a penalty.

Son is going through a bit of a wobble. Solanke, Johnson, Richarlison and Werner are just poor attacking options tbh

wow that's some stat. Wonder how that compares to Ten Hag who has been under huge pressure whilst dealing with an injury crisis for much of it. And making some very dubious tactical/management decisions as well of course
Had no idea they were that bad in the past few games and it seems like it’s carrying on into this season.
Today was a golden opportunity and they blew it. Another 4-5 games with this sort of form and it’ll probably be (correctly) lights out.
I still think solanke will be good for them. Not Kane levels but still good.

Putting all of his chips on the table

Feels exactly like something Mourinho would've said there and then you just blame Spurs culture when it dosen't happen.

They are in three cup competitions this season so you never know but hard to see them doing much in the league really.

Sounds very cocky.

Sounded a lot cooler coming from Mourinho when he came out with his "my little horses need milk in the first season before they can jump in the second" comment. True to his word, he went on to win the league.

Feels exactly like something Mourinho would've said there and then you just blame Spurs culture when it dosen't happen.

They are in three cup competitions this season so you never know but hard to see them doing much in the league really.

Ten Hag is already master of the domestic cups. That really only leaves the EL for them. Very unlikely.

Stand up if you were one of those clamoring for Ange Postecoglou when Spurs were winning around this time last year claiming United should replace Ten Hag with him :lol:
You haven't posted in weeks and now you're back with a series of posts laughing at others (at least three just today). Cut it out please.

Said it before that Solanke is dreadful. Was really surprised when so many here on Caf said it was a good signing.
They did? I’d have thought anyone could see 60m for him was foolish. He’s a backup striker at best.

They’ve got some great defenders imo, but a very average midfield / forward line

As I was saying in the post earlier, there still isn't much quality in that team to see them through a cup competition. You only have to look at some of their forward options today - Brennan Johnson, Odobert, Werner. Those are really poor options for any side with supposed ambitions of winning trophies.

Richarlison and Solanke have a bit more pedigree at Premier League level but have only performed for teams lower down the table. I'm not sure I've ever seen Son have such an anonymous game as he did earlier either.

Postecoglou was obviously feeling the pressure a bit and got irritated by the interviewer but he fell into the trap of giving a daft answer in the heat of the moment. It'll only fan the flames if they don't end up winning anything this season, which in all likelihood they won't.

I don't see anything wrong with that comment really. A bit arrogant/deluded at worst and ballsy at best.

It's Spurs, they've won one cup in 30 odd years and are relentlessly mocked for winning feck all. Many managers have come and gone who have probably said stuff like "We'll give it our best" and similar clichés about wanting to win trophies etc. He said he's going to do it. He is piling the pressure on himself and opening himself up to ridicule, the players may respond to that.

His attitude in that post-match interview was a real mask-slip kind of a moment. Pressure is mounting and he's got his back up.

Probably would've won a poll for most likeable guy in English football a year ago.

He gives me the impression he could be right arsehole to be honest. Good talkers usually are basically front merchants and behind closed doors are usually snakey characters.

Big Sam comes to mind.

I don't see anything wrong with that comment really. A bit arrogant/deluded at worst and ballsy at best.

It's Spurs, they've won one cup in 30 odd years and are relentlessly mocked for winning feck all. Many managers have come and gone who have probably said stuff like "We'll give it our best" and similar clichés about wanting to win trophies etc. He said he's going to do it. He is piling the pressure on himself and opening himself up to ridicule, the players may respond to that.

"I always win things in my second year" is just setting himself up for failure though. Coming across as deluded, which is precisely what it does come across as, could also be absolutely terrible for morale, because the pressure is now on the players to actually win something.

They've been largely absolute shit since about 10 games into last season. They got knocked out of the League Cup in their first game by Fulham on penalties, and in the FA Cup they limped past Burnley (at home) with a lateish goal, before being beaten by City in the fourth round.

This season has started basically as they continued the last, and there's basically nothing so far to suggest he's the man to turn it around for them, let alone win them something.

They did? I’d have thought anyone could see 60m for him was foolish. He’s a backup striker at best.
There was a thread “Is Solanke the most underrated player in the league” or something like that. Read the posts there. It’s gold:lol:. It’ll spin your mind. You would think Spurs signed prime Drogba.

He knows they aren’t good, might as well buy himself a bit of time with some fighting talk.

He’s either really confident, or really stupid. Serial winners like conte and mourinho couldn’t win anything at spurs. And are probably there only clubs where they didn’t win anything

Sounded a lot cooler coming from Mourinho when he came out with his "my little horses need milk in the first season before they can jump in the second" comment. True to his word, he went on to win the league.
There is no context where this sounds cool.

He knows they aren’t good, might as well buy himself a bit of time with some fighting talk.
They actually play entertaining football though. Better than pochettinos football. He’s signed some young good players for them. I think there lacking in the forward positions. Johnson for example isn’t good enough.

I don't think sacking him is the right decision.

He was starting to become overrated after the good start last season IMO, and I did think his suicidal setup vs Chelsea was really stupid...but overall he seems to be a good manager to me, and the Spurs project is actually a really exciting one in the long-term.

Their attack needs a good right sided winger, and a defensive midfielder needs to be added to the team as well. They need to be really patient with Bergvall and Gray, but give those two 1-2 seasons and they'll be excellent IMO, possibly together in a double pivot.

Kulusevski seems like a really good carrier type #10, whilst Maddison is really good in small spaces.

Son will need to be replaced eventually, but for now, he's still really good.

Defense seems pretty good but will need depth and they can probably upgrade on Udogie eventually. Vicario-Porro-Romero-van de Ven is a pretty solid quartet, though, and Dragusin is promising too.

Sadly for them, however, Solanke seems to have the bozo gene in him, but maybe that's a premature statement to make. :lol:

It also looks like they're gonna buy Johnny Cardoso "in the future", according to Romano, which would be another shrewd buy.

The results will probably have to improve in the next ~10 games, but I think it's way too early to be talking about Postecoglou's future. Their project is still in their early days and both the manager and the squad has a lot to offer that we've not seen IMO.

They actually play entertaining football though. Better than pochettinos football. He’s signed some young good players for them. I think there lacking in the forward positions. Johnson for example isn’t good enough.

It’s entertaining but it’s not practical at this level. Even bottom half teams have players who will punish you if you are naive and they can’t string wins together because they are too easy to play against with no plan B.

It was easy for Arsenal today and it’s a derby. Brentford will feel like they can take the game to them next week and get something because they will always give up chances.

Maddison isn't the player people think he is. Seems very wasteful

He was starting to become overrated after the good start last season IMO, and I did think his suicidal setup vs Chelsea was really stupid...but overall he seems to be a good manager to me, and the Spurs project is actually a really exciting one in the long-term.

Their attack needs a good right sided winger, and a defensive midfielder needs to be added to the team as well. They need to be really patient with Bergvall and Gray, but give those two 1-2 seasons and they'll be excellent IMO, possibly together in a double pivot.

Kulusevski seems like a really good carrier type #10, whilst Maddison is really good in small spaces.

Defense seems pretty good but will need depth and they can probably upgrade on Udogie eventually. Vicario-Porro-Romero-van de Ven is a pretty solid quartet, though, and Dragusin is promising too.

Sadly for them, however, Solanke seems to have the bozo gene in him, but maybe that's a premature statement to make. :lol:

It also looks like they're gonna buy Johnny Cardoso "in the future", according to Romano, which would be another shrewd buy.

The results will probably have to improve in the next ~10 games, but I think it's way too early to be talking about Postecoglou's future. Their project is still in their early days and both the manager and the squad has a lot to offer that we've not seen IMO.

You might not have said this yourself, but very early on last season the general line about Ten Hag was "he's had a year already!".

They've lost 7 of their last 11 league games.

They've only won 9 of their last 24.

How long exactly is he supposed to get to show that it can get better?

Yep, this is what football has become. If people like you then you're a top player or manager and you're just going through a hard spell. If you're not liked then you're immediately a failure. Ange was never going to succeed as Spurs, a manager with 1 fragile style of play won't last in the PL. The only managers who can do that are the rigid defensive ones.

Ange is a mediocre manager but because working-class British people love the fact he's fat, ugly, blunt, and gives sarcastic responses because he's too dumb to answer questions properly, they won't mention it. He is very relatable to the average Wetherspoons-going Talk Sport viewer. If he mentioned he hated foreigners, reading, hygiene and vegetables they'd cream in their pants. Thick, lumpy, cream.

Bit harsh :lol:

Why do that? Just going to look a mug down the line.
He says he always wins something in the second season but there is always a first time when that doesnt happen and as you say he is just setting himself to look like a complete mug. Really dumb comment, feels like a bit of false bravado that people throw out when they feel the pressure.

Bold opinion. Who has proposed sacking him? :lol:

He'll be gone by the end of the year. He's a good solid manager but his frailties have been exposed, he won't get Spurs any higher. I think he'd do alright for a lower EPL side.

His CV reads like a who’s that of football. Winning something in your second season is all relative.

Think he’s pretty great. They were solid today, and on another day they could have won. Though I guess if they keep losing games they could have drawn or won, all bets are off.

Really entertaining to watch though.

I reckon they’ll come good.

Unpopular opinion. IMHO, his style of play was fine and in fact very entertaining. Sleek and fast passing with high intensity pressing. The problem was Spurs have inferior players and made awful decisions at the attacking end. With better players and a bit of luck they could have draw/won the game. They pin Arsenal back most of the match and Arsenal is no slouch in possession football.