Ander Herrera is a Manchester United Player!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only issue I see with Herrera is that he's had a poor season and no one is quite sure why. Athletic were in turmoil so that was bound to have an effect, but he's 24 now so it's not as if he was a kid who couldn't be expected to rise above it, or even help lead them out of it.

The 36m Euros would be a fair price if he fulfills the promise he's shown, but yes, I do think there's a gamble involved. That said, he's a big lad, I don't think he'd have much trouble adapting to the PL and he's got a skill set that we need.

Do you actually think there's credibility to this bid, jo x 3?

Ah, a transfer saga which we know will be over come Monday. :drool:

Have any somewhat trustworthy sources reported anything on our link with him?

Rather get players we need and have scouted for a long time. There's really no point in buying and then be stuck with a player we can't sell or take off the wage bill.

We've probably been scouting him since Athletic smashed us two seasons ago and he was one of their best players in fairness. It's likely that it was just a case that Fabregas was our preferred Spanish target and Herrera was the backup plan if/when it didn't happen.

Yeah, it seems that entire Atletico team had a dip last season though. Muniain isn't even mentioned anymore.

Well Muniain is a special case because he's so young. But Bilbao in general had a Newcastle type season last year. It still frustrates me that we aren't being linked to Matic, but Herrera is a step in the right direction. Although I seem to recall he was being substituted a lot last year.

Rather get players we need and have scouted for a long time. There's really no point in buying and then be stuck with a player we can't sell or take off the wage bill.
Why isn't he a player we need?

And I'm sure we know everything to know about Herrera. He's been heralded as a very talented player for quite long. Tore us apart a couple of seasons ago as well.

So what sort of a player is he? Don't know f all about him..

Almost box to box type, but more elegance and less "power". Very similar to Cleverley IMO, but a little more creative, and more talented.

Also doesn't mind getting stuck in. I think rumours were Barca were interested - if they sold Fabregas as well.

Was highly rated but had a off season last year, so too did most of the ATHLETIC players ;)

It's getting to the stage now where just have to take a risk on a player. Ok, he might not take take us to another level (just like Afro boy), but he would infinately strengthen us in a position of real weakness (again like Afro boy).

It's great that Moyes wants to sign only the very best, but the realism of that is most of those type of players are already at huge clubs and are nigh on impossible to obtain.

The aquisition of a Herrera or a Fellaini ( or preferably both) would surely make us favourites for PL title again.

So what sort of a player is he? Don't know f all about him..

I remember him pulling a skill on Park (think it was him) ages ago when we played against him. That's all I remember about him. :lol:

EDIT: Also, should I say "him" again? Him.

Well Muniain is a special case because he's so young. But Bilbao in general had a Newcastle type season last year. It still frustrates me that we aren't being linked to Matic, but Herrera is a step in the right direction. Although I seem to recall he was being substituted a lot last year.

Didn't follow them too much last season but yeah, most of their players had a big dip. As jojojo pointed out, they sold Martinez, Llorente wasn't used because he didn't want to sign a new contract, Bielsa had a couple of issues with the board etc.

He was extremely highly rated before then though.

Almost box to box type, but more elegance and less "power". Very similar to Cleverley IMO, but a little more creative, and more talented.

Also doesn't mind getting stuck in. I think rumours were Barca were interested - if they sold Fabregas as well.

Was highly rated but had a off season last year, so too did most of the ATHLETIC players ;)

Very interesting, thanks for that... so not really the defensive midfielder then? I wouldn't say Cleverly is box to box at all, so perhaps that's me... for me Fellaini is more box to box than Cleverly...

With regards to players who aren't on fire at their clubs, I think a lot of good players go through rough phases at their clubs or fall out of favor. A club which can bring that player back to their best and sees the prospect of that happening, can benefit big time. Look at clubs that have bought players from real when their stock wasn't the highest. Robben and Sneijder have played big parts in inter and bayern winning trebles. Of course I'm not suggesting this kid is that proven or that good but it's not always the form at the current club which should be looked at, at least not when you really believe in the talent of the player strongly.

I remember him pulling a skill on Park (think it was him) ages ago when we played against him. That's all I remember about him. :lol:

EDIT: Also, should I say "him" again? Him.

:lol: Him. I don't even know if we have made a real bid and I'm trying to find out who he is :lol: Bad muppet!

No he only mean that we should threaten to throw Anderson on their president unless he decides to sell Herrera on our terms.
If we kill the guy, then who do we plan on dealing with then?
Very interesting, thanks for that... so not really the defensive midfielder then? I wouldn't say Cleverly is box to box at all, so perhaps that's me... for me Fellaini is more box to box than Cleverly...
Yeah, I speak under correction because I've probably seen him all of 13-15 full matches, but he's not a DM.

With regards to players who aren't on fire at their clubs, I think a lot of good players go through rough phases at their clubs or fall out of favor. A club which can bring that player back to their best and sees the prospect of that happening, can benefit big time. Look at clubs that have bought players from real when their stock wasn't the highest. Robben and Sneijder have played big parts in inter and bayern winning trebles. Of course I'm not suggesting this kid is that proven or that good but it's not always the form at the current club which should be looked at, at least not when you really believe in the talent of the player strongly.

Pretty much all of Athletic vastly under performed last year, I really wouldn't read too much into it.

Do you actually think there's credibility to this bid, jo x 3?

We were linked with him last summer and again in January. After the January reports he insisted that he wasn't looking for a a transfer and was just going through a rough patch of form.

So, to hear that we're in for him isn't a surprise. To hear that we're in for him three days before the deadline, given that Athletic are rarely enthusiastic sellers, is a weird one.

There's easily enough time for the transfer to go through. At this stage of the window, everything is done in a hurry and, as long as the will is there from both buying and selling parties, there's no reason it can't be pushed through.

We'll have been scouting this fella for months if not years. He's one of the top young players in La Liga, there's probably be a fat file on him sitting around the United offices And if there isn't, one will have been brought over from Everton.

I believe it. Those COPA fellas broke my Thiago dream.

The fact that Cope radio station broke the Thiago to Bayern story doesn't make them oracle of transfer news, sadly. Even Talksport get things right from time to time, but I still wouldn't trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.