View full 2014-15 profile

6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty disrespectful in my opinion. There are no players with "no ambition at all", just with different kinds of ambition. You talk about ambition like the definition of it would be to hike the easiest road to trophies, fame and money.
I'm not saying someone has no ambition if they settle for that, but I'm sure all players would dream of playing for a top club and winning trophies one day. The Bilbao president or whoever it was said that playing for Bilbao should be the absolute maximum for their ambitions. That's not exactly very ambitious for a player if they don't ever dream or hope of improving to one day play for a top team? Not everyone can make it but those like Herrera, and others who have left the club did so to further their careers instead of sticking with them forever.

They basically just ripped off Andy Mitten's MEN piece but without attributing it to him, cheeky. Usually newspapers at least go through the effort of saying 'in an interview given to X'. Doubt Mitten cares but its still a bit impolite of the Mirror.

More praise for Ander from Graham Hunter.

More condemnation from Athletic.

A bit simplistic piece but a good one nonetheless. Combined with a manager like LVG, Herrera should see some proper development and become a serious contender for the next generation of Spain's NT.

What midfielder past or present would be similar to Herrera? I haven't seen much of him live.

I think I was overly negative when we signed him because of the huge fee and also because of my failing memory, thinking he'd played more behind the striker than he actually has. But being positive, I'm hopeful that he will make a big difference to our midfield. Someone who can pass and has ability going forward, but also likes a tackle alleviating the need to play someone like Fellaini who only tackles.

To be fair his passing isn't anywhere near their level. Plays a bit like wilshere imo
Think Ramsey without the great shot is a better comparison. Good on the ball, likes to run with it, hard worker, smart, pretty good defensively too. Just an all around midfielder, just with a brilliant first touch like most Spaniards.

To be fair his passing isn't anywhere near their level. Plays a bit like wilshere imo
I donno i think his passing is under-rated. Some of his through balls, crossing and cross field passes are pretty impressive - granted he doesnt tend to play those long balls often (probably given he played pretty far forward last season) but i've seen him launch good counters with some of his passing

Think Ramsey without the great shot is a better comparison. Good on the ball, likes to run with it, hard worker, smart, pretty good defensively too. Just an all around midfielder, just with a brilliant first touch like most Spaniards.

I think that you are the closest, a very mobile Ramsey.

So he's just like Ramsey if Ramsey liked to dribble and couldn't shoot. ie not much like Ramsey.

So he's just like Ramsey if Ramsey liked to dribble and couldn't shoot. ie not much like Ramsey.
Yeah but better then whoever said Carrick, in that the only thing he has in common with him is being pretty tall and a midfielder. Ramsey runs with the ball a decent amount though so it's not that far away.

Herrera isn't a dribbler, is comfortable in tight spaces but prefers to pass.

Yeah but better then whoever said Carrick, in that the only thing he has in common with him is being pretty tall and a midfielder.
Have a look at Herreras defense stats as in interceptions and tackles. It may shock you

Whenever I see him play it was the thing that jumped out most about him

Yeah but better then whoever said Carrick, in that the only thing he has in common with him is being pretty tall and a midfielder. Ramsey runs with the ball a decent amount though so it's not that far away.
fair point

Herrera isn't a dribbler, is comfortable in tight spaces but prefers to pass.

Nope he loves to drive forward with the ball. He's more of a runner than a passer. He will give us much needed pace and energy in midfield. His passing is probably whats holding him back from being potentially world class imo. Still an excellent player mind

fair point

Nope he loves to drive forward with the ball. He's more of a runner than a passer. He will give us much needed pace and energy in midfield. His passing is probably whats holding him back from being potentially world class imo. Still an excellent player mind

For me he is between Thiago and Ramsey, in term of mentality.

Either way he looks great from his YouTube compilation. Not in the usual "skillz" way but in that he looks the sort of player our midfield has been crying out for. Runs with the ball, tackles, passes - the whole package. Could maybe do with improving his shooting.

I think this video gives a good idea of what sort of player we are getting. All involvements in a match against a certain Manchester based club...

Have a look at Herreras defense stats as in interceptions and tackles. It may shock you

Whenever I see him play it was the thing that jumped out most about him
Oh I know he is very good defensively, I've actually seen him a decent amount of times over the years (in the big games though). The way he goes about his play is completely different to Carrick, Carrick defensively is all about positioning and cutting off passing lanes, and on the ball he's just a passer. Herrera defensively is a good tackler, but isn't like Carrick with his positioning, he's more of a hard worker defensively. On the ball they couldn't be more different either.

Oh I know he is very good defensively, I've actually seen him a decent amount of times over the years (in the big games though). The way he goes about his play is completely different to Carrick, Carrick defensively is all about positioning and cutting off passing lanes, and on the ball he's just a passer. Herrera defensively is a good tackler, but isn't like Carrick with his positioning, he's more of a hard worker defensively. On the ball they couldn't be more different either.

He's a more technically gifted Darren Fletcher than Carrick. He's a lot closer to Cleverley in fact, just much better at everything.

I actually think him and Carrick would make a great partnership. Carrick being a pivot on the ball and an anchor to cover off the ball, and Herrera to charge down the opposition and carry the ball about.

He's the welsh version of Steve. That's what the W stands for.

So SteveJ is Jamaican? I should've knew it! no wonder his English writing is one of the worst around.
j/k, Sir Steve. Just in case you might not get my joke in English, either . Haha..

So SteveJ is Jamaican? I should've knew it! no wonder his English writing is one of the worst around.
j/k, Steve. As you might not get my joke in English, either . Hehe..

The irony...

Edit: Damn you white text!!! *shakes fist*

I'd say he's like Fabregas positionally. Less passing range/ability but instead has more interest in tackling

Status
Not open for further replies.