6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who says Moyes didn't want Herrera?

If Moyes had gotten Herrera and Coentrao, it would have been a very different season.

Not really. Moyes would still have been Moyes, the players would still have been seriously underwhelmed with their new manager, those that stopped performing would still have stopped performing.

Moyes' problem here was that he simply wasn't good enough. Herrera and Coentrao wouldn't have changed that.

Who says Moyes didn't want Herrera?

If Moyes had gotten Herrera and Coentrao, it would have been a very different season.

If Moyes had of wanted Herrera as a priority, you think the club would have left it till the last day to sort a deal?!

Noticed that too, so cocky :lol:

It implies a certain level of confidence in their own abilities which is always good to see. I remember watching the last U21 tournament, and even players like Rio stated that England needed young players like the Spanish who were confident enough to always show for the ball, even if they were tightly marked because they had enough self belief and technical ability to do it.

I was firmly in the "give Moyes more time camp", but since he's gone, signings aside, the whole club seems to have taken on a new lease of life. van Gaal being appointed, the general mood coming out of the club all seems better. Add that to us getting some good transfer business done early giving those lads a chance to settle in and get a good pre-season with the team and it's easy to see why we'd be optimistic going into next season. Herrera alone is such a great signing, simply because he is a quality player in an area where we were really struggling. While I want, and expect another signing or two, I reckon with the new manager and the two new additions we'd be back battling for the top four if we went into the new season as we are now.

Obviously we want more than that, but that's how much I think we've improved already this summer, and the transfer window isn't even open yet.

If Moyes had of wanted Herrera as a priority, you think the club would have left it till the last day to sort a deal?!

"A couple of days later I got a text from Moyes to the effect that "the club," i.e. executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, had decided to go "all in" on the last day of the transfer window and to try to pull the deal off."

That's what the link says though? I'm not arguing that Moyes did want him. I just haven't seen enough proof that he didn't (as many here are pointing out)

Not really. Moyes would still have been Moyes, the players would still have been seriously underwhelmed with their new manager, those that stopped performing would still have stopped performing.

Moyes' problem here was that he simply wasn't good enough. Herrera and Coentrao wouldn't have changed that.

I don't fully agree with that and don't really want to discuss about Moyes in this thread but the amount of goals/attacks that came through the left hand last season really damaged our chances.

I was firmly in the "give Moyes more time camp", but since he's gone, signings aside, the whole club seems to have taken on a new lease of life. van Gaal being appointed, the general mood coming out of the club all seems better. Add that to us getting some good transfer business done early giving those lads a chance to settle in and get a good pre-season with the team and it's easy to see why we'd be optimistic going into next season. Herrera alone is such a great signing, simply because he is a quality player in an area where we were really struggling. While I want, and expect another signing or two, I reckon with the new manager and the two new additions we'd be back battling for the top four if we went into the new season as we are now.

Obviously we want more than that, but that's how much I think we've improved already this summer, and the transfer window isn't even open yet.

No signings and a class manager would be us in the top 4, battling for the league, with a weaker squad than City and Chelsea, but definitely competing. IMV

Better player than Fabregas as far i'm concerned. Herrera has superior technique in tight spaces, it's a joy to watch.

Better player than Fabregas as far i'm concerned. Herrera has superior technique in tight spaces, it's a joy to watch.

Fabregas is in a tier or two above Herrera even if I much prefer Herrera's playing style and think he has a higher skill ceiling than Cesc. Herrera can play as our most defensive midfielder, a box-to-box or an offensive central midfielder whereas Fabregas isn't that great defensively so he has a more unique role where you have to play him.

It implies a certain level of confidence in their own abilities which is always good to see. I remember watching the last U21 tournament, and even players like Rio stated that England needed young players like the Spanish who were confident enough to always show for the ball, even if they were tightly marked because they had enough self belief and technical ability to do it.
Yup, agree.

Fabregas is in a tier or two above Herrera even if I much prefer Herrera's playing style and think he has a higher skill ceiling than Cesc. Herrera can play as our most defensive midfielder, a box-to-box or an offensive central midfielder whereas Fabregas isn't that great defensively so he has a more unique role where you have to play him.
Fabregas is a very good midfielder don't get me wrong but his technique in tight spaces was not of the standard Barca were asking from him. Herrera has sublime technique in tight spaces and is a better dribbler than Fabregas. I'm glad that we will see both players in the EPL and i'm very confident Herrera will prove to be the better player because he has a better all-round game and can play in a number of positions in central midfield.

I think going forward Herrera will definitely prove to be the better buy than Fabregas.

Of course it won't help him being at Chelsea, playing for a manager he doesn't like and probably ending up on the bench half the time.

Its always great to hear by players that we are the biggest club in the world... They both Ander and Luke will shit their pants once they see the support we have around the world, perhaps they are lucky that we are heading to USA not Asia like last year. That would have been insane for them..
OT: When do the players come from holiday? I just cant wait to see ANY updates especially photos from training sessions etc..

In all honesty, he is not. Cesc is better.
Obviously. Cesc is the better passer. scores and assists more. But Herrera more than doubled the amount of tackles and interceptions Cesc made.

Looking forward to seeing how Herrera vs Fabregas shapes up next season. If Herrera matches up to Fabregas' performances, I'd be chuffed.

I'm not arguing that Moyes did want him. I just haven't seen enough proof that he didn't (as many here are pointing out)

The full story on what actually happened last year isn't known, but there were plenty of rumours that we were still interested in him AFTER the deal broke down (there were rumours we might go back in for him in the January window, as some might recall). So, unless this interest was purely on Woody's part (contrary to Moyes' wishes at the time) I think it's fair to say Moyes wanted him - not that it matters now. Both Herrera and Shaw were on Moyes' infamous "list", I think.

Unless you're, say, Real Madrid. They used 4-4-2 to great effect on their way to the CL. Think Atletico use it from time to time too, don't they? 4-4-2 isn't dead yet.

It isn't a real 4-4-2 at Real Madrid is it though.

A proper 4-4-2 is two strikers and two wingers. They lined up 4-3-3 effectively.

When I watched Athletico they may be more like 4-4-2 but Costa lead the line with someone dropping into midfield when they didn't have the ball.

The reality is practically nobody uses a classic 4-4-2 anymore.

agree with that. If you can take the champions to 7th, you can certainly under achieve with those two players too.

So excited to see him play. Have only seen him the once or twice. Really like the way he is described as a player though. Very versatile CM. Hope he can perform well.

To be completely honest I was never that impressed by watching the youtube vids.

In saying that it seems he has legs and energy and is a smart guy, I think he will do well here.

It isn't a real 4-4-2 at Real Madrid is it though.

A proper 4-4-2 is two strikers and two wingers. They lined up 4-3-3 effectively.

When I watched Athletico they may be more like 4-4-2 but Costa lead the line with someone dropping into midfield when they didn't have the ball.

The reality is practically nobody uses a classic 4-4-2 anymore.

Villa played up front with Costa in around half of their games and they won the league.

:lol:

This summed up Moyes problem during his time with us. He didn't trust the people who were giving him advice. Martin Ferguson had been scouting players for United way before Moyes was failing to win a trophy for Everton.
Spot on.

Moyes had the ideal opportunity to step up & vanish that "safe underdog" mentality but sadly, it summed him up. Going for Fellaini because he hadn't seen enough of Herrera (or even Thiago if some stories are to be believed - though others point it at Giggs) sums Moyes up to the tee.

No appetite for risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.