Amad Diallo | Rangers loan watch

In what world? he started next to no games in Italy and can barely make the Rangers bench I just don't see it.

Yeah I was probably out of order with the 10x better. But my point was that when Ralf leaves, Elanga won’t be getting in the squad anymore, so I wouldn’t say Amad is behind him.

Fair play. For what it's worth, I always thought Amad seemed more technically accomplished but I worry that he'll wind up going the gomes route. Really hope he lives up to the hype mind.
It's certainly possible mate. I think Amad could flourish under a manager with the sort of ideals that ten Hag has. Whether he will be given the opportunity is another thing entirely though. Would be a shame if it didn't work out because I think the talent is there.

It's certainly possible mate. I think Amad could flourish under a manager with the sort of ideals that ten Hag has. Whether he will be given the opportunity is another thing entirely though. Would be a shame if it didn't work out because I think the talent is there.
Yeah would be lovely if ETH could get the best out of him. As you say, he's showed in flashes that the potential is there. Separate conversation really, but if he doesn't then it's yet another example of our weirdness in the market as we would've significantly overpaid on a player that was no more than a prospect.

Yeah I was probably out of order with the 10x better. But my point was that when Ralf leaves, Elanga won’t be getting in the squad anymore, so I wouldn’t say Amad is behind him.

Elanga will be best off going on loan, he wasn't expected to be anywhere near the first team but with Greenwood, Martial and a never fit Cavani missing he's been thrown into the squad he's done his best and shown glimpses of a player we can't ask much from a player who started the season probably 7-8th choice in attack.

We have a threadbare attack with Cavani, probably Martial and possibly Ronaldo leaving in the summer. Elanga will be in the squad.

Yeah would be lovely if ETH could get the best out of him. As you say, he's showed in flashes that the potential is there. Separate conversation really, but if he doesn't then it's yet another example of our weirdness in the market as we would've significantly overpaid on a player that was no more than a prospect.
Yeah, just a scattergun approach really. It seemed like it was a last gasp reaction to the realisation that we were not going to be able to sign Sancho that summer. However, there was no real pathway or plan for him and we went on to sign Sancho the following year anyway.

Elanga will be best off going on loan, he wasn't expected to be anywhere near the first team but with Greenwood, Martial and a never fit Cavani missing he's been thrown into the squad he's done his best and shown glimpses of a player we can't ask much from a player who started the season probably 7-8th choice in attack.

He’s maybe tried hard but he doesn’t even possess the basic skills to be a PL footballer, let alone for a team with supposed title aspirations. I’m surprised more youth players haven’t been given a chance, because Project Elanga isn’t working.

We have a threadbare attack with Cavani, probably Martial and possibly Ronaldo leaving in the summer. Elanga will be in the squad.

I highly doubt it. If we are at the point that he needs to be in the squad again, we will either buy new players, or keep Pellistri / Amad. They can’t be any worse.

Amad's not going to make the grade here is he..
He's already shown in a utd shirt he can make the grade here -

Rangers have been doing well using their experienced players since the Celtic game when Amad was dropped, so him being on the bench makes sense, no room for the inexperienced at this stage of the season. Writing him off completely on that premise is a bit foolish.

Keep in mind, I was reading the Celtic forum a while ago and they thought Gio’s lack of rotation will be the cause of Rangers downfall.

The funny/worrying thing is that he maybe would get minutes here than the loan. Rangers actually have more attacking options than us.

Why were they interested in loaning him if Gio had no intention to play him? Just numbers in case of a injury cricis?

Why were they interested in loaning him if Gio had no intention to play him? Just numbers in case of a injury cricis?
I assume they thought they were getting something far better than what they've seen in training/games.

It’s worth noting that he’s never got much minutes anywhere at all at Atalanta, Utd (under two coaches i think but might be wrong), and Rangers. And wasn’t he not selected for the African cup of nations? I’m genuinely surprised at the amount of posters who think so much of their own opinions that despite multiple actual professional coaches choosing not to use him, that it is the managers, rather than the posters who are wrong. It kind of strikes me as being similar to those people who refused to take advice during the Covid pandemic, genuinely believing that they saw a truth that professional epidemiologists missed. He might turn out to be the greatest player since Messi but guys, if he’s repeatedly not being picked by multiple managers then surely there’s a reason that you all aren’t seeing.

Last edited:
Another loan that has gone downhill. Haven't got proper game time after that earlier Celtic game. Agreed. he was poor i that game and would have learnt his lessons.

Still feel there is a player in there. Would need a good loan next season to revive his career as a whole.

I assume they thought they were getting something far better than what they've seen in training/games.

He started his first two games which makes me think the intention was to play him rather than have him as a player. What we don’t know is what the coaches he’s trained under see, but it seems silly to challenge all of them

Another duff signing. Let’s be honest, if he was as special as fans on here would have you believe he’d be starting every game for Rangers.

It’s worth noting that he’s never got much minutes anywhere at all at Atalanta, Utd (under two coaches i think but might be wrong), and Rangers. And wasn’t he not selected for the African cup of nations? I’m genuinely surprised at the amount of posters who think so much of their own opinions that despite multiple actual professional coaches choosing not to use him, that it is they, rather than the posters who are wrong. It kind of strikes me as being similar to those people who refused to take advice during the Covid pandemic, genuinely believing that they saw a truth that professional epidemiologists missed. He might turn out to be the greatest player since Messi but guys, if he’s repeatedly not being picked by multiple managers then surely there’s a reason that you all aren’t seeing.

Haven’t the majority of people who rate him in here stated outright on numerous occasions exactly what his faults are and how it’s understandable that he’s not playing re: lack of physicality

He started his first two games which makes me think the intention was to play him rather than have him as a player. What we don’t know is what the coaches he’s trained under see, but it seems silly to challenge all of them
It will be interesting to see if we send any loan players your way and which McKenna would want.

I actually like these signings. They at least showed some thinking and planning (in theory) IMO the right type of players we should be signing. The Ronaldo one, the VdB one, the Maguire one, the AWB one, the Telles one... that's the real problem that we hopefully won't be doing again.

Ronaldo was a no brainer. Commercially pays for himself, has given us a lot of important goals.

VdB should in theory have been a great signing, but it does seem there is a real lack of plan on how to use him so he has become a waste.

Telles was a sensible signing. Pressure to Shaw which made Shaw have one of his best seasons for us. Telles was also reasonably priced and a different option.

We overpaid for Maguire in a heavily inflated CB market that year, but there were a real lack of other CBs available and ready. Koulibaly was the pick we should have made at maybe another £10-20m. As the saying goes buy cheap, buy twice. Maguire wasn't cheap, but he was the cheaper option.

AWB was the stand out right back defensively at a time when we were awful in defence, but we well overpaid as there were other quality options available at half the price.

I think where we have predominantly failed is in considering the core attributes that are vital to success.

For any good attributes that could be seen in Maguire his lack of pace is a a major flaw.

AWB simply doesn't have the wing play which is so vital to modern football. We rushed to solve the defensive issue but without any forward planning.

VDB looked like quite a good option, but not if we aren't going to support him with a ball playing DM. Similar to Maguire to some extent. A little extra money and a much better outcome. VDB can't thrive in a midfield that can't pass and move.

The most worrying thing is most fans can see our problems. This season coming we all expect something mad like Kane for £100m or Rice for £100m. Both great options, but Kane is a long term huge risk and will only work if we sort out lots of other positions, I. E. Only useful if we intend to spend £300m+

Rice is brilliant, but isn't a pure DM so will just be an improvement over Mctominay or Fred but still not solve our glaring weakness.

Then there is the problem that for the money we would again need to spend another £200m.

We need to spend smart. Rangnick is bang on that we need to take some chances on the next big thing just about ready. We might have some £40m flops, but better that than a £100m player who ends up looking average because we don't fix 2 or 3 other positions as well.

It's obvious Ralf is big on physical traits, that's why Amad wasn't given a sniff before being loaned out. He is tiny with no proper first team experience so it's fair enough, but he's still a very technically gifted player. Gio isn't playing him for the exact same reasons. Under Solskjaer in the very brief opportunity he was given he showed he's capable. Let's hope him and Pellestri have a strong pre season so they get a fair shot of showing whether they're up to it. Writing them off already because of one failed loan due to their inexperience seems daft to me.

Players like him need to plan their career a lot more wisely. He needs to get out of Man United and their decision making body quickly.

It will be interesting to see if we send any loan players your way and which McKenna would want.

Yes I’m definitely hoping that’s the case. He’s certainly trying his best to let us play an attacking, passing style, though that’s not easy in league one!

It's obvious Ralf is big on physical traits, that's why Amad wasn't given a sniff before being loaned out. He is tiny with no proper first team experience so it's fair enough, but he's still a very technically gifted player. Gio isn't playing him for the exact same reasons. Under Solskjaer in the very brief opportunity he was given he showed he's capable. Let's hope him and Pellestri have a strong pre season so they get a fair shot of showing whether they're up to it. Writing them off already because of one failed loan due to their inexperience seems daft to me.
Showed he's capable of what? He's always looked talented but years away being actually ready for the premier league. He needs loans and to impress on these loans. He needs to learn how to compete physically.

Haven’t the majority of people who rate him in here stated outright on numerous occasions exactly what his faults are and how it’s understandable that he’s not playing re: lack of physicality

Maybe they have, I genuinely don’t know! I’ve also noticed a lot of people questioning why he’s not regularly in the Utd and/or Rangers teams, so certainly a significant proportion think he should be playing.

Keep in mind, I was reading the Celtic forum a while ago and they thought Gio’s lack of rotation will be the cause of Rangers downfall.
Was literally just talking to my rangers mate and he said exactly this. That and Roofe is shit.

I highly doubt it. If we are at the point that he needs to be in the squad again, we will either buy new players, or keep Pellistri / Amad. They can’t be any worse.
Elanga is ahead of both of those players in terms of progression.

Why do you think a player who cannot break into Rangers starting 11 will break into a United first 11 over a player who's there already?
Bizarre thinking.

Actually if we want these players to play games, they should have sent them to a club that needs players. Even down the championship or below. I mean even Salford United.

Actually if we want these players to play games, they should have sent them to a club that needs players. Even down the championship or below. I mean even Salford United.
Diallo went to a team that needed depth.

Just so happens that he had an absolute nightmare against Celtic, Ramsey came in and Kent started playing well again leading to his lack of opportunity.

Yeah. What is so funny?
Because it's not based on anything other than your own thoughts.

Ones playing week in week out and putting in decent performances, the others on the bench and not trusted to make a difference.

The big caveat is context of course, but you seem to have forgotten that as well, so shall I!

Showed he's capable of what? He's always looked talented but years away being actually ready for the premier league. He needs loans and to impress on these loans. He needs to learn how to compete physically.
Capable at a technical level, creating chances whilst keeping it tidy, making good runs in behind, like he did when he scored an important goal vs AC Milan. I agree it's his physicality and inexperience that's holding him back currently, but his technical ability makes up for his lack of physicality, like it does with a lot of technical players, he just needs the experience which he can get here given the lack of options on the right.

Elanga is ahead of both of those players in terms of progression.

Why do you think a player who cannot break into Rangers starting 11 will break into a United first 11 over a player who's there already?
Bizarre thinking.
Elanga making our starting 11 tells more about our state than his progression and his current levels. Elanga most probably won't be starting for any of the other PL teams so let's not use him starting for us as any sort if justification, especially considering where we are in the table.

Not saying Amad is better, but Elanga is nowhere near United (maybe even PL) quality currently.

Because it's not based on anything other than your own thoughts.

Ones playing week in week out and putting in decent performances, the others on the bench and not trusted to make a difference.

The big caveat is context of course, but you seem to have forgotten that as well, so shall I!
Of course it's my own thoughts. I watch football and base my opinions on what I see. Things aren't as black as white as 'Oh he's playing regularly for a terrible United side and he is on the bench at Rangers'.

Elanga making our starting 11 tells more about our state than his progression and his current levels. Elanga most probably won't be starting for any of the other PL teams so let's not use him starting for us as any sort if justification, especially considering where we are in the table.

Not saying Amad is better, but Elanga is nowhere near United (maybe even PL) quality currently.
Elanga is United quality, but let's pretend he isn't , does that not say something about the development of Amad right now?
I use a player who has scored three goals, and broken into a national team as justification to say that he is in a better situation than Amad right now.
it's not even a debate really to be honest.