Alexis Sanchez | Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

beingshe7don

Yup. I imagine the likes of Bale/Dybala etc wouldn't take any less wages than Sanchez so that's completely negated. The fees here is likely to around 30m ish which is 1/3rd of what it'll take to land Bale/Dybala/Griezmann. The only thing possibly we're paying extra is signing on fee but that's a very minimal difference.
I rather invest in getting Pulisic and pay him 80k in wages.

Dosse

Just a thought, with us being branded laughing stocks in the market largely for the last 5 years (remember fellaini deadline day farce and herrera secret agent stuff) signing Pogba, Matic, Lukaku, and (touch wood(ward)) Sanchez, the question is when are pundits/journos going to acknowledge the clubs obvious intent and overhauling of our transfer policy? They hate it. They hate it because they thought we were done. They thought we had had our fair share and now it was someone else's turn and now they're all devastated because it's clear we are going nowhere. If this transfer happens it will be a complete eye opener and will just go to show that sometimes having a blank cheque doesn't matter. Sometimes players will choose the badge. They all hate it and it makes me love it even more
This!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Just a thought, with us being branded laughing stocks in the market largely for the last 5 years (remember fellaini deadline day farce and herrera secret agent stuff) signing Pogba, Matic, Lukaku, and (touch wood(ward)) Sanchez, the question is when are pundits/journos going to acknowledge the clubs obvious intent and overhauling of our transfer policy? They hate it. They hate it because they thought we were done. They thought we had had our fair share and now it was someone else's turn and now they're all devastated because it's clear we are going nowhere. If this transfer happens it will be a complete eye opener and will just go to show that sometimes having a blank cheque doesn't matter. Sometimes players will choose the badge. They all hate it and it makes me love it even more
What a post. Oof.

I'm loving the José era if I'm honest. He's just a badass of a manager who makes everything box office.

Even if this doesn't come off, I'm at the point now where I still think it's impressive. It's shaken the journos and footy media up that it's even got this far, and City too, not that they'd admit it.

Just the sheer audacity he has to wade into a seemingly done deal transfer and turn the whole situation around. This is how a United manager should do things.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I rather invest in getting Pulisic and pay him 80k in wages.
What makes you think that Dortmund will sell Pulisic for not a ridiculous amount? They'll put Dembele's deal last season as an example.

beingshe7don

No way; Rashford in his short time has shown guile, his form like any young player is up-and-down. This idea that he's simply a speed merchant and always will be is an insult to Mourinho and him. He needs time to develop and we'll\be better for it.
It's not even about form. It's his decision making which is something he needs to improve. He comes up short in one on one situations with the goal keeper. It's my opinion but at the moment, he's just an average player. I would not put him in the same bracket Mbappe, Dembele, Asensio or Pulisic. I mean since Fergie retired, we've dropped our assessment level of players. Rashford is no where the level of Rooney and Ronaldo at the same age.

midnightmare

What makes you think that Dortmund will sell Pulisic for not a ridiculous amount? They'll put Dembele's deal last season as an example.
And that’s without mentioning our stellar record of the purchases from BVB...

beingshe7don

I expect them to sell Pulisic for 50-60m. Pulisic has 2 years left on his contract and if he doesn't extend, they will risk losing him for nothing the following summer.

Relfy

I did not envisage this getting this far, and it now really looks like this could happen. Great signing if we can get this over the line. Provides more options up top and something different to what we have had. He can create and score goals from everywhere. Alexis #7?

GM K

If they pull this off, I have to say thumbs up to Jose and Woody for this. What a catch!

Toad

Genuinely doesn’t feel real at the moment, that’s why I’m not going to get excited until he is holding our shirt.

GM K

Hasn't exactly helped himself, he's been crap to say the least... Probably why Sanchez and Ozil wanna leave when they see Lacazette and Welbeck leading the line.[/QUOTE]

That front line sure wouldn't fill any talented creator with much confidence.

Micky Targaryen

What?? Nobody wants Rashford to be starting games at present???

Why the heck not?? He is a young, exciting, excellent player, why would anyone in their right mind not want to see Rashford start?

More importantly he is one that we have developed, there is that connection with him and the fans, that is just soooo puzzling why anyone would not wish to see him in the team!
That's what squad depth is about. Even if Rashford isn't starting, I'm pretty sure Lukaku, Martial, Mata or even Sanchez is not going to be firing on all cylinders all season. Any of them could have a dip in form, and that's when Rashford can make his case for a place in the starting lineup. I'm as much of a fan of Rashford as anyone here, but I don't think he should start all the games. He's still young and developing so that's a luxury we can afford currently. I reckon he would flourish more if he gets to play alongside more marquee players like Alexis.

Reactions: Penna

KM

I think this deal was done as soon as City started briefing about Sanchez going for Money etc. The same thing happened when Lukaku went for us instead of Chelsea.

beingshe7don

Specially after saying we're not looking to sign anyone in January
1. I think it's a lie when managers say that they were not looking to sign anyone in Jan (especially how we've been struggling in recent weeks). The only reason he said that was because if we didn't get anyone, our fallback excuse would be that we were not looking to buy to begin with.
2. Mourinho has assessed the Zlatan situation and realized that he's not going to be back to his best and he cannot be depended upon to be Lukaku's backup when Lukaku doesn't fire.
3. Sanchez wasn't going to leave until the summer because that's when he would get a hefty signing on bonus for joining on a free which possibly City promised but since there's a huge rift in the dressing room between Sanchez and other players, they want him out now and therefore, Wenger has got to get him out which got us this opportunity.
4. We were looking for cheap alternatives such as Lucas Moura to provide width and be our RW but Sanchez becoming available made us change our plans.
5. Buying Sanchez now would prevent us from making a 90-100m investment in either Griezmann or Dybala.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I agree, this will be a dream signing if it goes through. Sanchez is comfortably among the 5 or 6 players best players in the league, and we have beaten a main rival to his signature. To get him for 30 mil on top of that is fantastic business.

Added to that, he's that talismanic attacking player we've been crying out for. If we'd signed him at the start of the season I honestly believe we'd be nipping at City's heals right now, a couple of points behind them at worst.
Plus getting Sanchez means no Bale. Isnt that great itself?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think this deal was done as soon as City started briefing about Sanchez going for Money etc. The same thing happened when Lukaku went for us instead of Chelsea.
Yeah I think so too.

I find the whole money accusation hilarious give it's City on the wrong end of our willingness to spend. This narrative of City and Pep being all about the football is rather ironic given how much they spend and given that's pretty much their identity as a football club.

KM

Yeah I think so too.

I find the whole money accusation hilarious give it's City on the wrong end of our willingness to spend. This narrative of City and Pep being all about the football is rather ironic given how much they spend and given that's pretty much their identity as a football club.
Teams playing catch up always have to pay the extra money. Also as Gary Neville says in the tweet, it makes complete business sense to go for Sanchez even if he's asking high wages. We'd struggle to find anyone better than him in summer whose transfer isn't atleast more than double of what we're paying for him right now.

gica_7

1. I think it's a lie when managers say that they were not looking to sign anyone in Jan (especially how we've been struggling in recent weeks). The only reason he said that was because if we didn't get anyone, our fallback excuse would be that we were not looking to buy to begin with.
2. Mourinho has assessed the Zlatan situation and realized that he's not going to be back to his best and he cannot be depended upon to be Lukaku's backup when Lukaku doesn't fire.
3. Sanchez wasn't going to leave until the summer because that's when he would get a hefty signing on bonus for joining on a free which possibly City promised but since there's a huge rift in the dressing room between Sanchez and other players, they want him out now and therefore, Wenger has got to get him out which got us this opportunity.
4. We were looking for cheap alternatives such as Lucas Moura to provide width and be our RW but Sanchez becoming available made us change our plans.
5. Buying Sanchez now would prevent us from making a 90-100m investment in either Griezmann or Dybala.
I am not sure it does. I think we were going to buy a winger and an attacking player on top of that. We sorted out the winger with the money that we couldn’t spend on Perisic last summer. So I think we will have the money to spend on that marquee attacker. Lingard has been incredible but if we have a chance to upgrade him with a player like Dybala, we have to do it

Traub

If this happens, it'll mean that we won't go after Bale etc in the summer which will only mean money saved for us. Also Sanchez doesn't have a WC to go this summer, he can have a nice pre season rest.
Yeah. Also, there realistically weren’t many attackers available this summer: AG probably off to Barca (or at least didn’t push for us last summer so not that interested) and Bale is a crock. Many here saying that it means we missing out on Dybala, but I think it would’ve been close to impossible to get him this summer. If anything, this gives it another 2/3 years before we need to sign another attacker and who knows Dybala’s situation at that point.

AmanNits04

The incompetence of Arsenal is staggering. They could have sold him for big money last summer and reinvested that money on someone else who'd had have the time to settle in the club. Instead they're losing a top player in January while things are going wrong for them on the pitch.

I'd be fuming if I were an Arsenal fan.
City offered them the money at the end of the transfer window. Arsenal didn't have enough time to buy a replacement. If it's anything, it's wrong on city's end. I am delighted city did that during the summer and we can get Sanchez now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Plus getting Sanchez means no Bale. Isnt that great itself?
He's the perfect attacker for us. A little younger would have been even better but you can't have it all. He's good for another 2 or 3 years of elite level performances and a fine level thereafter. Obviously much of that depends on our manager and how integrates him.

This is us getting our Hazard or De Bruyne level player. It's absolutely huge given we already have a good squad that's around Chelsea's level at the very least.

Teams playing catch up always have to pay the extra money. Also as Gary Neville says in the tweet, it makes complete business sense to go for Sanchez even if he's asking high wages. We'd struggle to find anyone better than him in summer whose transfer isn't atleast more than double of what we're paying for him right now.
Absolutely. He's among the elite 4/5 players in this league and you could make a strong case for him being the best or nearabout. It's a no brainer to pay extra for him.

beingshe7don

I am not sure it does. I think we were going to buy a winger and an attacking player on top of that. We sorted out the winger with the money that we couldn’t spend on Perisic last summer. So I think we will have the money to spend on that marquee attacker. Lingard has been incredible but if we have a chance to upgrade him with a player like Dybala, we have to do it
We are most likely going to go and get Ozil on a free. Sanchez and Ozil will be our marquee signings but we will invest heavily in a CM and defense.

KM

Does Gary know something? Or he just chatting?
He's just saying that if City does up their offer to buy him, Balague will still say that Sanchez chose City for less money. He doesn't know anything.

Anduin

From a business point of view it makes total sense to sign Alexis. Let's assume £35m transfer fee, £400k/week, £20m signing on bonus. Even that package 'only' totals to £135m over a four year contract. Alternatively we'd likely have to pay around £80-100m for Bale or Griezmann (unlikely) in the summer for the transfer alone, so this is going to free up huge money for necessary summer signings in central midfield. Alexis basically takes Zlatan's wages from last year, which is fair enough considering his quality.

jungledrums

From a business point of view it makes total sense to sign Alexis. Let's assume £35m transfer fee, £400k/week, £20m signing on bonus. Even that package 'only' totals to £135m over a four year contract. Alternatively we'd likely have to pay around £80-100m for Bale or Griezmann (unlikely) in the summer for the transfer alone, so this is going to free up huge money for necessary summer signings in central midfield. Alexis basically takes Zlatan's wages from last year, which is fair enough considering his quality.
Plus he’d easily make his money back in shirt sales.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Which tweets worry you?
Sorry, i woke up and read last 4, 5 tweets in random order. I expected done deal to be honest and i read it is not done yet. One tweet was about that city will raise offer so... Don't listen to me, just panicking.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Hopefully this happens soon. I think we are just waiting for arsenal to finalize their replacements.
If we can think this is Perisic money then we will have atleast 150 million in the summer (Rumoured budget). 1 fullback, 1 central midfielder and maybe one winger. With ibra leaving, we should get Ozil too on a free and then invest in some youngsters too. This transfer makes alot of sense, alot of it. Now i am worried city will make an 11th hour bid :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.