Alex Sandro

We are in desperate need of a left back. The summer cannot pass without this position being addressed. Another season of Ashley Young is too much. If we can't get Sandro, move on to someone else.

This, especially as we dont seem to be in for any wingers. Our full backs will be expected to provide all the width and service into the box as well.
Just pay the money and get Sandro

Swear to god if we line up with young next season I’m giving up. Dalot will be gradually put in the team, can’t see him him getting thrown in straight away

So looks like it’s another year of Tony the shin splitter on the right and Ashley always cut inside on the left. Oh joy.

Doesn’t mean the rwport is true though!

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't go after him. Everytime I've seen us linked with him it's been typical vague press nonsense. No specifics about our interest. No progression in the story. It's just months of the same United are interested in signing player x headline

This, especially as we dont seem to be in for any wingers. Our full backs will be expected to provide all the width and service into the box as well.
Just pay the money and get Sandro
I was watching a full re run of our game vs Chelsea FA Cup final earlier and it really strikes you how poor Valencia and Young are. It's embarrassing they have been allowed to play as fullbacks for a club with our resources. Our whole system is basically creating space for them out wide with the likes of Sanchez, Lingard, Mata all preferring to come inside and they don't take advantage. Valencia doesn't provide anything in attack. He will never attack 1 on 1 like he used to before. Young tries but is just limited and out of his depth. Fullback is a position which requires intelligence and technical ability more than anything and these two don't have it. Maybe if Darmian and Shaw had progressed like we expected they wouldn't be near the team. Now you're starting to worry with Mourinho coming out and saying Young can play 50 games again next season. And if Dalot doesn't settle quickly and take Valencia's place we will have the same problems again next season. Sandro is a natural left sided player and that alone will improve the team. That's even before you get into his dribbling, crossing, link up play etc. A lot of players will benefit if he comes.

I was watching a full re run of our game vs Chelsea FA Cup final earlier and it really strikes you how poor Valencia and Young are. It's embarrassing they have been allowed to play as fullbacks for a club with our resources. Our whole system is basically creating space for them out wide with the likes of Sanchez, Lingard, Mata all preferring to come inside and they don't take advantage. Valencia doesn't provide anything in attack. He will never attack 1 on 1 like he used to before.
There was actually a 20 minute period in the second half of the FA Cup final where Valencia turned back the clock and really caused Chelsea some problems down that side. It was like he just decided - nobody else is creating anything and I'm the captain, it's time for me to step up and start taking on the defenders ahead of me. I think it's the only time this season that I've seen him do that like he always used to. Unfortunately it only lasted about 20 minutes, and then he went back to his usual stuff.

But that 20 minute period really showed what a difference it can make to have a fullback capable of doing that. He suddenly found himself in a few good attacking situations, causing their fullback a lot of trouble. We really need somebody who can do that all the time, and not just a few minutes once in a while.

If only Jose didn’t have a weird relationship with Shaw - there’s little value or viable option in the market this summer, so it’d make more sense for him to just man up and begrudgingly allow Shaw a full season to competently fill the role. When he was given a few consecutive games over Christmas, he looked accomplished considering he’d barely played for 2 years and would be functional at worst.

If he can’t bring himself to compromise, then it’d make more sense to sell Shaw cheap with a low buy-back clause, get a Premier League-proven player in Bertrand to do a job short term until Tierney matures/fulfils his Celtic ambitions or Mourinho back doors it, allowing Shaw to resume his United career.

If only Jose didn’t have a weird relationship with Shaw - there’s little value or viable option in the market this summer, so it’d make more sense for him to just man up and begrudgingly allow Shaw a full season to competently fill the role. When he was given a few consecutive games over Christmas, he looked accomplished considering he’d barely played for 2 years and would be functional at worst.

If he can’t bring himself to compromise, then it’d make more sense to sell Shaw cheap with a low buy-back clause, get a Premier League-proven player in Bertrand to do a job short term until Tierney matures/fulfils his Celtic ambitions or Mourinho back doors it, allowing Shaw to resume his United career.

You can blame the manager for picking the wrong team or using the incorrect tactical setup for a specific match, you can even hold him responsible for his players appearing disinterested and lacking motivation. But you cannot blame him for one of his players struggling to maintain an acceptable level of fitness. Luke Shaw has been battling a weight problem ever since he returned from injury. He takes full responsibility for that like any mature professional under contract would.

Last edited:
You can blame the manager for picking the wrong team or using the incorrect tactical setup for a specific match, you can even hold him responsible for his players appearing disinterested and lacking motivation. But you cannot blame him for one of his players struggling to maintain an acceptable level of fitness. Luke Shaw has been battling a weight problem ever since he returned from injury. He takes which he takes responsibility for like any mature professional under contract would.

no Jose should hide in Shaws kitchen fridge and cupboards to make sure he does not reach for the snacks.

Think people forgot Poch said exactly this when he had him at Southampton and LVG when Shaw first fecking Joined, so much so he had to be put onto extra fitness drills to lose weight. It was even filmed him doing this solitary training with the staff ffs.

no Jose should hide in Shaws kitchen fridge and cupboards to make sure he does not reach for the snacks.

Think people forgot Poch said exactly this when he had him at Southampton and LVG when Shaw first fecking Joined, so much so he had to be put onto extra fitness drills to lose weight. It was even filmed him doing this solitary training with the staff ffs.

Yeah I recall reading something similar about his career at Southampton. Such a shame because his talent is there for all to see.

I'd rather give Demetri Mitchell a run of games than Shaw. I think he'd use the opportunity better than Shaw has used his.

I would like Shaw as our starting LB rather than Young if we don't sign any LB.

Seems he’s missing a trick in terms of sponsorship.

He could have Domino’s as his sleeve sponsor.

That horrific injury did not help either. He is just not the same mentally or physically I think. I don't blame him.

Eh?
I blame him completely.
He is at MUFC. Huge contract. The World at his feet.
All he has to do is train hard and keep the weight off, while also demonstrating to Jose that he is willing to run through brick walls for the team.
Jose doesn't value skill, but he does value, hard workers. Why do you think he loves Sanchez, Lukaku, Fellaini? They work their asses off!
So, I blame Shaw and nobody else for his failure at MUFC.

On a side note, I can't believe that so many members of the general public have such a loser's mentality. Basically, if these people get one knock down in their life, they give up. WTF!!!
If life puts me down, I get back up and come back even stronger and harder, so next time life tries pushing me down, it won't be so easy. The same rule applies to football.

I'm 43 years old and (visually) in better shape than Luke Shaw and if I were his manager, I'd tell him that he will only enter into the first team, once he achieves a certain weight goal. That's the treatment Pep gave his players when he first arrived and Shaw absolutely needs this (at his new club).

In any case, Shaw is finished; we need to hire the services of a player who is top class and in his prime and I believe Sandro fits the bill.

Eh?
I blame him completely.
He is at MUFC. Huge contract. The World at his feet.
All he has to do is train hard and keep the weight off, while also demonstrating to Jose that he is willing to run through brick walls for the team.
Jose doesn't value skill, but he does value, hard workers. Why do you think he loves Sanchez, Lukaku, Fellaini? They work their asses off!
So, I blame Shaw and nobody else for his failure at MUFC.

On a side note, I can't believe that so many members of the general public have such a loser's mentality. Basically, if these people get one knock down in their life, they give up. WTF!!!
If life puts me down, I get back up and come back even stronger and harder, so next time life tries pushing me down, it won't be so easy. The same rule applies to football.

I'm 43 years old and (visually) in better shape than Luke Shaw and if I were his manager, I'd tell him that he will only enter into the first team, once he achieves a certain weight goal. That's the treatment Pep gave his players when he first arrived and Shaw absolutely needs this (at his new club).

In any case, Shaw is finished; we need to hire the services of a player who is top class and in his prime and I believe Sandro fits the bill.

You blame him for being mentally effected after having his leg shatrered ans ripped off in seceral places?

I take it you misread my post:)

My worry would be that the Dalot signing may indicate that there are not any senior fullbacks available we are interested in. I'm not against the signing at all, the kid looks a real prospect (but one for the future) - it might signal us going into next season with Young/Valencia which would disappoint many on here including me - they do an ok job but restrict the attacking play. The Sandro signing now looks much less likely with noises also now coming out that Shaw will also be given another season.. I suspect the CB and another MF if Fellaini goes will complete the business for this summer. I don't expect us to sign a RW unless we can get Willian which may be a real long shot .

Monaco certainly knows how to replace their transfers; they replaced Mendy with another Brazilian talent (Jorge) who may surpass Sandro in quality.

We should just go for Telles if we can't get Sandro. I read somewhere that he has a £35m release clause.

Jorge, Monaco, 22 year old Brazilian 17/18; 27 apps, 2372 minutes, 1 goal, 4 assists, 10 yellow cards.

Alex Telles, Porto, 25 year old Brazilian 17/18; 45 apps, 4022 minutes, 4 goals, 20 assists, 3 yellow cards.

Jorge, Monaco, 22 year old Brazilian 17/18; 27 apps, 2372 minutes, 1 goal, 4 assists, 10 yellow cards.

Alex Telles, Porto, 25 year old Brazilian 17/18; 45 apps, 4022 minutes, 4 goals, 20 assists, 3 yellow cards.
Yea, Sandro is not the only good Brazilian LB out there. Although Telles is not as complete as Sandro, he's still pretty good going defensively and excellent going forward. He's cheaper and younger too and has a very big chance of getting better than Sandro.

I'd rather give Demetri Mitchell a run of games than Shaw. I think he'd use the opportunity better than Shaw has used his.
Agree with this, like the look of mitchell at fullback, would love to see him get some chances.

Totally agree and I’ve been saying this since last season. This kid looks a very good player nowhere near Tierney level since playing in SPL but he’s done very well. I’d be over the moon with tierney as I think £25m would secure him and have both him and Mitchell compete as both very different players as well although the same position.

I don't think we'll sign Sandro, I reckon we'll all be surprised with who comes in as left back like with Dalot.
Plus the idea of spending 50 million on a left back fills me with dread.
Fullbacks are now as important in the modern game as any position. Get with the times.

Fullbacks are now as important in the modern game as any position. Get with the times.
I couldn't agree more, we're just a bit rubbish at buying them!

Why are so many people so averse to starting the season with Young at LB? I mean it’s not ideal ofc, I would like a world class LB too, but Young had a very good season by all accounts. It’s Valencia who needs more urgent replacing imo, out of our two fullbacks.

Especially the people in here who say they’d rather start with Shaw than Young, you guys have lost your minds.

There's a big signing in the pipeline. I can feel it in my bones. With Young and Shaw at left back this will be the position sacrificed to bring in Greizman/Bale.

Why are so many people so averse to starting the season with Young at LB? I mean it’s not ideal ofc, I would like a world class LB too, but Young had a very good season by all accounts. It’s Valencia who needs more urgent replacing imo, out of our two fullbacks.

Especially the people in here who say they’d rather start with Shaw than Young, you guys have lost your minds.
Thing is Young’s personal performances were good, but for me the way he plays kills so much of our momentum. The amount of dangerous moments he squashes really hampers us. Watched his last England performance and it was the same there for them. At least with Shaw you get someone who can attack the byline and go past people. We just looked better balanced with him. Young could probably do a job for another season but if LB isn’t going to be Shaw then bring in another one.
Agree with Valencia tho RB needs looking at. Can’t see Dalot being a starter.

Thing is Young’s personal performances were good, but for me the way he plays kills so much of our momentum. The amount of dangerous moments he squashes really hampers us. Watched his last England performance and it was the same there for them. At least with Shaw you get someone who can attack the byline and go past people. We just looked better balanced with him. Young could probably do a job for another season but if LB isn’t going to be Shaw then bring in another one.
Agree with Valencia tho RB needs looking at. Can’t see Dalot being a starter.
Yes, Young plays really well, but lacks that Fullback mentality. He's too much of a one-man show and hardly even bother linking up with his wide partner.

He didn’t have a good season. Him and Valencia are both a hinderance to the team

Put two proper fullbacks in and watch how different we play (which is why I’d hae preferred a more established RB although I do like the Dalot signing).

We can sign whoever we want but ultimately if we go into the new season with young and Valencia as starters we might as well write it off.

Fullbacks are so important in modern day football and ours aren’t good enough

We can sign whoever we want but ultimately if we go into the new season with young and Valencia as starters we might as well write it off.

Fullbacks are so important in modern day football and ours aren’t good enough
Our full back situation is like our midfield situation a few years back. We could see it was rubbish but year after year it wasn't addressed. At this rate it feels like Valencia will be smashing the ball in to defenders shins when he's 40.

He didn’t have a good season. Him and Valencia are both a hinderance to the team

Put two proper fullbacks in and watch how different we play (which is why I’d hae preferred a more established RB although I do like the Dalot signing).

Nailed the LB spot ahead of Blind, Darmian and Shaw. Had 2 goals and 7 assists from LB. Was usually one of our best players in the big games. Played well enough to get praise from practically all corners of the media world, with hardly any detractors. He made the England squad, most likely being a starter at the WC too.

Yep, he definitely did not have a good season :rolleyes: