AFTV/AM '17/'18: A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair.. Not just arsenal. City, Chelsea us and Liverpool including host other clubs 'failed to win the title with Leicester feckin city'
So? Is there anyone who doesn't consider chelsea's, city's, united's and liverpool's 15-16 season a disaster? Liverpool changed manager midway through and reached the EL final, the others all changed managers, specifically because they utterly failed. Wenger is the only manager who kept his job.

No it's not. Why do people say these things? It takes two people to sit down and negotiate a contract. Most of the time 18 to 24 months before a contract ends, the negotiations for the new one begins...it's not uncommon. Moreover, we keep forgetting the massive role agents play in contracts. It's not just about giving the player whatever they want and they sign...end of. Agents sometimes wait until other players in the squad sign so they now have more leverage to ask for a higher wage package for their own client. If Sanchez and Ozil get over 250k/week, how much leverage do you think the club now has when negotiating other contracts with other agents? It's a cat and mouse game. Throwing around the term mismanagement is not looking at the big picture.

It's complete mismanagement.

Of significant 1st team squad players the following are in danger of being able to walk away for nothing:

2017:

Cazorla
Mertersacker

2018:

Sanchez
Ozil
Ramsey
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Giroud
Jenkinson

Plus lesser squad players like Sanogo.

What is the current transfer value of that lot? £150-200 million?

The longer it takes to tie them down and the nearer they can walk for nothing when there are so many of them the more leverage the players and their agents have. It's incredibly poor planning and management bordering on total incompetence to let themselves get in this position.

Other clubs don't leave it to the last 18 months to get players on new deals, if they did you may have an argument.

So? Is there anyone who doesn't consider chelsea's, city's, united's and liverpool's 15-16 season a disaster? Liverpool changed manager midway through and reached the EL final, the others all changed managers, specifically because they utterly failed. Wenger is the only manager who kept his job.
This. Perfect response.

Isn't Wenger the FA's dream choice for England manager? Could go a long way to explaining why he always gets away with commenting about referees without a reprimand.

Actually you are making my point. The fact that he kept his job despite all that clearly shows that he met the expectations set by his KPI or bosses. However the business side of arsenal has developed disproportionately (it's always a good news) it's simple board-economics. You can see him very casual nowadays it's like he did the job already. And precisely why whatever happens here onward, no longer wengers fault. They should take it to the owners. They are clearly happy with him. They lack ambition or don't wanna spend whatever.. They are happy with him. Have you heard they giving him the dreaded word of confidence in the last 12 years? Thought so.
Wenger will stay for however long he wants.

You're looking at his job through a pin hole. Although you're right, it doesn't take a genius to understand why Wenger won't be sacked from Arsenal FC.

To be fair.. Not just arsenal. City, Chelsea us and Liverpool including host other clubs 'failed to win the title with Leicester feckin city'

Yeah, I agree. Leicester winning the league was a damning indictment on all of us who were expected to be up there challenging.

Of significant 1st team squad players the following are in danger of being able to walk away for nothing:

2017:

Cazorla
Mertersacker

2018:

Sanchez
Ozil
Ramsey
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Giroud
Jenkinson

The longer it takes to tie them down and the nearer they can walk for nothing when there are so many of them the more leverage the players and their agents have. It's incredibly poor planning and management bordering on total incompetence to let themselves get in this position.

Other clubs don't leave it to the last 18 months to get players on new deals, if they did you may have an argument.

You heard nothing I just said didn't you? We'd agree to disagree then.

2017:

Cazorla
Mertersacker

2018:

Sanchez
Ozil
Ramsey
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Giroud
Jenkinson

Th

2017:

Cazorla
Mertersacker

2018:

Sanchez
Ozil
Ramsey
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Giroud
Jenkinson

Never happens in any other top 6 sides because Arsenal Priority is about maintaining business sense first and winning second. It's as simple as that.

Actually you are making my point. The fact that he kept his job despite all that clearly shows that he met the expectations set by his KPI or bosses. However the business side of arsenal has developed disproportionately (it's always a good news) it's simple board-economics. You can see him very casual nowadays it's like he did the job already. And precisely why whatever happens here onward, no longer wengers fault. They should take it to the owners. They are clearly happy with him. They lack ambition or don't wanna spend whatever.. They are happy with him. Have you heard they giving him the dreaded word of confidence in the last 12 years? Thought so.
Wenger will stay for however long he wants.
I'm not saying fans should be angry with wenger(though it is understandable, especially when Gazidis comes out with comments like "we can compete financially with anybody". Only arsenal insiders know who's fault it is for arsenal's "mismanagement" in the transfer market and in regards to wages, but wenger is the easiest target), i'm not saying wenger isn't meeting ownership's expectations -he clearly is or he wouldn't still have the job-

All i'm saying is wenger's job in the day to day managing of the team over the last 3 seasons has not been good enough given the quality of his teams, and his job in 15-16 specifically was an unmitigated disaster, which no club with real ambition could have possibly accepted

That Leicester title win really was a massive blow to a lot of the excuses thrown around to defend Wenger. He has done a superb job overall but the fact that he hasn't been able to win a league title for 12 years and actually hasn't even managed a proper title challenge for a long time is rather embarrassing. Leave aside Saf and Jose for a moment but there are a lot of people who have managed a proper challenge better than Wenger in the last decade. Even Brendan fecking Rodgers almost won the league

And Chelsea, city, united and Liverpool all sacked their managers during or after the season.

What's wengers excuse? He had the team he wanted, the right age group, a unit well gelled in his image over several years and funds to reinforce any position needed. He bought a keeper and called it a day.

I'm not saying fans should be angry with wenger(though it is understandable, especially when Gazidis comes out with comments like "we can compete financially with anybody". Only arsenal insiders know who's fault it is for arsenal's "mismanagement" in the transfer market and in regards to wages, but wenger is the easiest target), i'm not saying wenger isn't meeting ownership's expectations -he clearly is or he wouldn't still have the job-

All i'm saying is wenger's job in the day to day managing of the team over the last 3 seasons has not been good enough given the quality of his teams, and his job in 15-16 specifically was an unmitigated disaster, which no club with real ambition could have possibly accepted
I totally understand what you are saying but I'm trying to tell you that it's been up to the board since 6 years now. Wengers ambition and subsequent team performance Can only originate from the board room. And obviously they will be ok with top 4 forever ( at least the current board) He will probably be under stress if top 4 eluded them.

And Chelsea, city, united and Liverpool all sacked their managers during or after the season.

What's wengers excuse? He had the team he wanted, the right age group, a unit well gelled in his image over several years and funds to reinforce any position needed. He bought a keeper and called it a day.

Is it rocket science to understand why Wenger WON'T be sacked at Arsenal, or am I the only one who gets it?

Is it rocket science to understand why Wenger WON'T be sacked at Arsenal, or am I the only one who gets it?
No we all know it. I just wish wenger would do the right thing and step down at this point. He's taken arsenal as far as he can

Shame WBA didn't hold on..not simply because of Arsenal dropping points. But the freakout on ArsenalFanTv would have been nice to watch tonight.

I totally understand what you are saying but I'm trying to tell you that it's been up to the board since 6 years now. Wengers ambition and subsequent team performance Can only originate from the board room. And obviously they will be ok with top 4 forever ( at least the current board) He will probably be under stress if top 4 eluded them.

Exactly. This is spot on and it would be even more obvious if I listed the current Arsenal board members and their occupations (hint they are all either English banker money men or American corporate execs). It becomes glaring when you compare the different board members to 15 years ago when Arsenal still had long time family shareholders on the board (Fiszman, Bracewell-Smiths, Hill-Woods and David Dein).

This board, tragically for fans, doesn't care about winning the league and I doubt Kroenke even understands the Champions League and cup competitions. As long as he finishes top 4 to collect the nice CL check thats the only imperative on Wenger. I agree the second Arsene cannot finish 4th the pressure will be on but there is no pressure on Arsene from the Board to deliver anything but Top 4 finishes for financial reasons.

For his part, Arsene himself was not able to understand back 10 years why shareholders were not simply happy with him increasing the price of their shares. One shareholder famously commented at a shareholder meeting "The price of my freaking Arsenal share does not excite me, watching Thierry Henry win trophies excites me". Wenger was legitimately surprised the shareholders actually cared about results on the pitch and not just the profits being made :wenger:

Exactly. This is spot on and it would be even more obvious if I listed the current Arsenal board members and their occupations (hint they are all either English banker money men or American corporate execs). It becomes glaring when you compare the different board members to 15 years ago when Arsenal still had long time family shareholders on the board (Fiszman, Bracewell-Smiths, Hill-Woods and David Dein).

This board, tragically for fans, doesn't care about winning the league and I doubt Kroenke even understands the Champions League and cup competitions. As long as he finishes top 4 to collect the nice CL check thats the only imperative on Wenger. I agree the second Arsene cannot finish 4th the pressure will be on but there is no pressure on Arsene from the Board to deliver anything but Top 4 finishes for financial reasons.

For his part, Arsene himself was not able to understand back 10 years why shareholders were not simply happy with him increasing the price of their shares. One shareholder famously commented at a shareholder meeting "The price of my freaking Arsenal share does not excite me, watching Thierry Henry win trophies excites me". Wenger was legitimately surprised the shareholders actually cared about results on the pitch and not just the profits being made :wenger:
Wenger actually said that? He is an economist after all.

That's pretty damning on Wenger if that's true.

2017:

Cazorla
Mertersacker

2018:

Sanchez
Ozil
Ramsey
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Giroud
Jenkinson

We have an option to extend Cazorla a year. Sanchez and Ozil are the only 2 I'd be particularly bothered about losing. It's not poor management though, they've both obviously deliberately run their contracts down.

And I actually want to see Ozil sold, he's a world class playmaker but his tracking back and attitude where his head drops is a major issue.

Ramsey, Giroud and Chamberlain may or may not be that useful beyond 2018, it's hard to say. I can't see anyone offering more than we would pay any of them though, although maybe with the homegrown rule. Ramsey will be 27 and Giroud will be 31 by then and neither are great at their peaks, bar 6 months for both. And Ramsey is a pure stamina player so an older Ramsey needs moving on.

Jenks and Mertesacker need moving on anyway, deadwood.

More than a little bit of heresay there

Its a well known incident recorded in Alex Flynn and Kevin Whitcher's Arsénal: The Making of a Modern Superclub, p.237

Wenger, "I was disappointed because I believe especially the shareholders cannot complain. In Oct.1996 the share price was around £400 and now it is £10,000. I would prefer it if the fans complained rather than the shareholders. I could understand that more"

The book goes on to emphasize "But all the shareholders at the meeting were also fans. As one succinctly put it "It's Henry that excites me not the price of shares!"

Cheeky bid for Ramsey? Isn't he a united fan?

He's shite mate. Gives the ball away unnecessarily and is a bit of a lightweight.

My Arsenal friends knows about my frustrations with Rooney and he describes it as similar to his with Ramsey. Watching the Utd-Arse game a few weeks back and I have to say he's much more infuriating than Rooney.

Shame WBA didn't hold on..not simply because of Arsenal dropping points. But the freakout on ArsenalFanTv would have been nice to watch tonight.

Yeah was hoping for the same. Claude and TY yelling at each other... and fam-blud-boy having a meltdown

:lol: The masses have spoken!! Seen him play well for Wales and assumed that was his general performance level. Arsenal can keep him so!

Status
Not open for further replies.