Afghanistan

Yeah you're right the joyride comments are definitely wtf moments for me.

However i did read some of those and it aroused my curiosity as to what afghans I knew thought about it. As I said pr viously there is a calmness I didn't expect. Especially from the likes of the guy who was back and forth as an interpreter, as he would be the kind of person who maybe seen as a "traitor".

Then again I did think maybe it's because he is over here and has made a pretty penny from the work he did. His kids driving around in new Mercedes and what not. Maybe different if he was over there.

Have to be honest and my initial thoughts also were that maybe the people around here would be more unhappy as they left Afghanistan due to fear, most being asylum seekers etc. That's why the calmness and Taliban back in charge was as surprise as some of them have family there.

Maybe being more familiar with war they are 'hardened' to it to an extent and their threshold for panic is different to ours. I suppose if they are safe here and don't have cause to think their family are in immediate specific danger (bearing in mind they will have been in danger before anyway) there wouldn't need to, though they obviously found their lives there scary/oppressive enough to move last time.

All young ish men. Not many (any?) women on there.

There's better pictures, that one is slightly cropped, women and children nearer the front of the plane. Also got to consider women probably less likely to attempt to leave their house let alone the country with the Taliban sweeping in.

I do not understand this. Why is this happening and no one is doing anything against it? Why did the western (especially US) troops leave in the first place and let this happen with open eyes? Why is the west, which weirdly enough is still able to use the airport, sending machines only to evacuate people over there, instead of sending enough troops to tell the 'terrorists' to feck off?

Also the BILD claims, that the Taliban are now as good armed as any other NATO-state because of this ('made by USA'). So to my understanding: USA leaves the place, but they leave their arms right there so the terrorists can take them? This makes no sense?!

The 'weapons left behind' story is mostly untrue, the military don't just leave guns and ammunition unchecked when they leave a theater. There may be a handful of cases of abandoned vehicles, and out of service trucks being left behind.

I heard that most of the weapons the Taliban have acquired where captured from the Afghan army. Don't forget, we've spent two decades training and equipping that army, and somehow they were conquered in a matter of weeks, I don't know how true these stories of them surrendering/folding en-masse, but the hardware we gave them has inevitably ended up in Taliban hands.

Makes some sense from an arms business point of view I guess.

This whole thing seems very fishy to me. Leaving a country to 'terrorists', not helping while you could, and even arming them on a grand scale on purpose. Will certainly play into conspiracy theorists hands.

The clue is in the name, Peacekeepers try to keep peace. They are like lightly armed police but acting for an international body.

The Taliban wouldn't give the option of peace. They would engage in full scale war as soon as the American war machine pulled out. Without the air and artillery support the Peacekeepers would be overwhelmed pretty quickly, plus they wouldn't even fight.
Fair enough, I would have thought they'd do a job. Maybe not.

This whole thing seems very fishy to me. Leaving a country to 'terrorists', not helping while you could, and even arming them on a grand scale on purpose. Will certainly play into conspiracy theorists hands.

The Taliban has not been armed on purpose, as I explained above, they have seized American weapons from the Afghan army they just conquered.

Training and equipping means training and equipping. We couldn’t just pack up everything we’d given the Afghan Army over almost 2 decades.

True, although it's arguably repeating the same mistakes over and over leading to even more instability in whatever region the US pulls out of.

Afghanistan isn't really a viable nation state. It's borders were created by Britain and Russian a couple of hundred years ago to act as a buffer between two empires. There's no logic to them for the citizens within those borders. Constant war and the absence of any strong unifying regimes means they've never had the chance to create any overarching patriotic sentiments that extend beyond their own particular tribe.

So the Afghan forces are a army without a cause. Their recruits are there only there for the paycheck. Hence all the accusations of corruption.

On the other hand, the Taliban are fighting for Pashtunistan and their concept of an Islamic Emirate. Race and religion have always been the most potent nationalist ideologies throughout history. And they're currently being used to their fullest.

In terms of morale and fighting spirit, it's no competition for the Taliban. Since Afghanistan is majority Pashtun anyway, a significant proportion of the Afghan forces won't feel like they're surrendering to the other team. That's why the coup has been so quick and easy. I mean, I like my job. But that guy with the AK-47 can have my desk near the window if he really wants it.

The comment sections is very cruel. Dogs over human being.

I love dogs too but ...

I don't have a dog but I had multiple pets and a dog in the past. I will evacuate any of them before any person that I don't know and some that I do....specially before some of them

I have a strong suspicion that if we hadn’t have embarked on the training and equipping plan, that we would have caught flack for that as well.

This was an inevitable consequence that I do not see being avoided.

I'd like to know a better possible solution but I don't see it.

What were seeing is the cruel nature of war and geopolitics coming to the forefront but this is twenty years worth of actions and decisions coming to an end

That's the nature of those kind of expectations, I guess.
I guess my point is that being in Afghanistan is a damned if you do / damned if you don’t situation. Once NATO started making the war about something more than strictly taking out Al Qaeda and the Taliban, this was an inevitability… but the conditions that NATO was surrounded by basically left them with no choice but to nation build.

I guess my point is that being in Afghanistan is a damned if you do / damned if you don’t situation. Once NATO started making the war about something more than strictly taking out Al Qaeda and the Taliban, this was an inevitability… but the conditions that NATO was surrounded by basically left them with no choice but to nation build.

Oh I agree. Whoever decided it was a good idea to put troops on the ground there...I don't know. Seems like one of the more obvious bad military ideas, like invading Russia in the winter.

After all that life and money wasted what has changed for the better?

There's better pictures, that one is slightly cropped, women and children nearer the front of the plane. Also got to consider women probably less likely to attempt to leave their house let alone the country with the Taliban sweeping in.
Yes, the women and girls will be sent back to the Dark Ages yet again - no chance of education or work, no rights at all.

Which is basically impossible, considering the relative levels of development Germany and Japan had reached prior to 1939 vs. 2000s Afghanistan.

Not impossible, but it would have probably taken about 100 years to make up for the lack of general education in the necessary fields which are needed to run a modern economy to any degree of stability. The question is though, do you really want to "occupy" another nation for 100 years and play the colonial force that rescues the "noble savage" from itself? I would say no. Still it makes me sad that the only good that came out of the post 9/11 wars, freeing Afghanistan from the Taliban, is now also gone and the country will fall back into a medieval state when it comes to rights for women and girls.

Something along these lines was always inevitable after we lied to ourselves over what was actually happening during the past 20 years. We were told we were there to secure peace, for nation building etc. It was never anything other than an occupation judging by how fast it's over now. (By 'we' I mean the entire western coalition, every country included).

A thing that cringes me to my soul actually is that people in Western countries are looking at this news and their immediate impulse is to worry about Afghan refugees coming to their countries. How the F*** can you see all the terror in that country and the fear in the people there and turn it into yoúr problem and making yoúr country the victim here?! The lack of emphathy and huminaty baffles me honestly..

A thing that cringes me to my soul actually is that people in Western countries are looking at this news and their immediate impulse is to worry about Afghan refugees coming to their countries. How the F*** can you see all the terror in that country and the fear in the people there and turn it into yoúr problem and making yoúr country the victim here?! The lack of emphathy and huminaty baffles me honestly..

There is an election coming up in Norway and the leader of the most prominent far right party here made just that point in a debate last night. Sickening.

There is an election coming up in Norway and the leader of the most prominent far right party here made just that point in a debate last night. Sickening.

I think you have these conservative-nationalists in everye country now and I can imagine their reponses are the same everywhere.. Its very worrying for me how many people immediately go with that stance that the refugee problem is a problem for the Western countries in stead of a humanitarian crisis for the refugees and their home countries..

I think you have these conservative-nationalists in everye country now and I can imagine their reponses are the same everywhere.. Its very worrying for me how many people immediately go with that stance that the refugee problem is a problem for the Western countries in stead of a humanitarian crisis for the refugees and their home countries..

Absolutely, there has definitely been a surge over the last years. It’s very worrying, on many levels.

Yes, the women and girls will be sent back to the Dark Ages yet again - no chance of education or work, no rights at all.

I'd take this with a barrel load of salt, but currently the Taliban are providing assurances of womens rights to education and in the workplace, albiet i'm sure they'll be defining conditions/limits to it all.

We'll have to wait and see. The central leadership can say what they want, but in reality their organisation is very fractious, people might well just do what they want.

And then you have people on this forum arguing showing a cartoon criticizing religion at school is offensive.

All young ish men. Not many (any?) women on there.
The Western media portraying these young men at the airport running away due to fear of the Taliban is not completely correct. A lot of those young men are understandably just wanting a better life economically for themselves and their families abroad if they can somehow leave the country. Expect a massive rush of Afghans coming to Europe on the pretext of fearing the Taliban. The reality is economics.

Please note: I'm not saying there will not be some genuine asylum seekers.

Two articles from Jason Burke who knows the country well:

The Taliban leaders in line to become de facto rulers of Afghanistan
The task facing the new head of state will be more challenging than 1996. But who is in the running for a governing role?

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...=Share_iOSApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true

What does the Taliban’s return mean for al-Qaida in Afghanistan?
UK defence secretary is worried that ‘al-Qaida will probably come back’ – but it is already there

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...aida-in-afghanistan?__twitter_impression=true

This makes sense even from a purely financial standpoint. The country needs economic development and its far easier to boost GDP by having the entire population working instead of having half of it sit at home.
And it's just for show. Anyone who believe them are in for a rude shock or have their own geo political reasons to believe them.