Afghanistan

Although I don't recall the Russian invasion of Afghanistan deploying any sort of humanitarian efforts of medical clinics, women's rights, or voting rights

Full equality of women and an end to the traditional “feudal” household were centerpiece issues for the Communist regime, both before and after the Soviet invasion, and a significant factor in alienating much of the population.

Just to safe face for invading a country for some saudi terrorist and bush having bad ratings. PR stunt. If you are the good guy, you can't go to a country, invade it with poor reasons/lies (like massive destructions weapons in Iraq) and leave like a you raid it.

For me now it seems like

jfzebq4dq7z11.jpg

It was never the case

"11-S! USA!...er women rights?, yes lets say that"

After 20 years, some people will believe that it was the reason

I make no excuses

Just sayin'

Trust me, there were very few people that put more effort into stopping this mess than me.
:lol: I wasted so much time of this shit, I ruined one bad marriage and several of horrific relationships. It's part of the reason why I don't debate this stuff on internet forums anymore.
Raoul can tell you what a pain in the ass I used to be arguing about this stuff

Here's my trouble with those that didn't think Afghanistan would fall so quickly; The example of Iraq was a lesson that should have been more closely considered. The minute US troops completed their departure, rebel forces seized on every city and left over military equipment immediately throughout the north. Everyone knew the vacuum of power wouldn't take long to be overcome by the Taliban. Well, anyone with a sense of recent history

I get the notion it's the difference between those on the front lines, those that have been in the shit, those that live and breath intelligence and whatnot in contrast to political and corporate desk jockeys who only read reports from a monitor or video feed or in meetings. It's night and day difference in thinking, reality, intellect, and so on.

I do not understand this. Why is this happening and no one is doing anything against it? Why did the western (especially US) troops leave in the first place and let this happen with open eyes? Why is the west, which weirdly enough is still able to use the airport, sending machines only to evacuate people over there, instead of sending enough troops to tell the 'terrorists' to feck off?

Also the BILD claims, that the Taliban are now as good armed as any other NATO-state because of this ('made by USA'). So to my understanding: USA leaves the place, but they leave their arms right there so the terrorists can take them? This makes no sense?!

Also the BILD claims, that the Taliban are now as good armed as any other NATO-state because of this ('made by USA'). So to my understanding: USA leaves the place, but they leave their arms right there so the terrorists can take them? This makes no sense?!

It costs less to leave the stuff there than to pack it up and send it back to America. Same thing happened with ISIS in Iraq.

It costs less to leave the stuff there than to pack it up and send it back to America. Same thing happened with ISIS in Iraq.

But everyone knew that this would happen if the US leaves the place. So this surely must be happening intentionally, no? Are the US now allied with the Taliban?

Hard to believe we didn't take the time to destroy any weapons. This is a failure of epic proportions that I guess is over 40 years in the making.

From the reports Ive seen, the US military and contractors didn't leave anything in the scale of weapons that they did during the exit of the Iraq war. The weapons obtained this time around were taken off the Afghan police and military that failed to respond

Hard to believe we didn't take the time to destroy any weapons. This is a failure of epic proportions that I guess is over 40 years in the making.

A laissez-faire attitude towards deadly weapons is pervasive through every level of America, are we really surprised that the military would leave these things lying around with no regard for outcomes?

Posted this in this thread in April last year:

Many many indications that the Taliban of 2021 plan to rule (relatively) inclusively. Whether or not they have it in them to do so will be seen, but their continued rule is dependent on it. Hopefully Chinese and Pakistani support can be positive in this regard.

Certainly they are far more concerned with their international image compared with the 90s, when they genuinely couldn’t give a feck (outside world might as well have not existed to them back then).

After well over 40 years of continuous warfare, Afghanistan needs peace so bad. Plenty of good reasons to doubt that the Taliban can achieve it, and their success may have bad consequences elsewhere (3-4 years after fall of ISIS the global jihadi crowd will now be emboldened again). On the other hand they are today the only shot the country has.

I remembered that you posted this and have been sharing it since yesterday.

Makes some sense from an arms business point of view I guess.

USMC usually destroy anything they can't take with them. Any arms and ammo the Taliban might have picked up are some armoured trucks and other ATVs they took off of the Afghan security forces. They can be blasted to smithereens with any drone strike. This is still a fighting force of 60,000 at best with little to no aerial prowess. Not anything that would worry any neighbouring country. It only starts becoming a festering wound if they help revive Al Qaeda, Pakistani Taliban or any other Kashmir targeting militias in that region from the prisoners they seem to have set free during their coronation.

USMC usually destroy anything they can't take with them. Any arms and ammo the Taliban might have picked up are some armoured trucks and other ATVs they took off of the Afghan security forces. They can be blasted to smithereens with any drone strike. This is still a fighting force of 60,000 at best with little to no aerial prowess. Not anything that would worry any neighbouring country. It only starts becoming a festering wound if they help revive Al Qaeda, Pakistani Taliban or any other Kashmir targeting militias in that region from the prisoners they seem to have set free during their coronation.

Yeah Bob clarified the process for Afghanistan above. Still, gifting arms to a substandard force is basically one step up from leaving it behind.

Just thought I'd share this.

I've been watching the news and looking at social media and there is, rightly a focus on Afghanistan. Most of the BBC stories around women's education, Malala interview, how Afghanistan is in turmoil etc etc.

However I live next door to an Afghani family. Second time they are my neighbours as we were many years back too. They are immigrants here once the war kicked off. I have a really good relationship with them and know a bit if background for them. So the father fought for shah Masoud (still a big fan has a carpet thing on the wall with the man's photo) his wife is a shia. One of his kids got deported a few years back (nice enough lad when you knew him but always fighting).

I spoke to them initially and was expecting anything but the calmness they are portraying. They are not fans of the Taliban but don't seem to be that fussed about events and if anything are playing them down.

I thought maybe it was just them but it seems to be the same with other Afghani folk around here. Even the one who used to go back as an interpreter etc for the Brits doesn't seem that fussed.

Just found it bizarre that they are calmer than us none Afghanis on seeing and hearing what's going on.

I've been watching the news and looking at social media and there is, rightly a focus on Afghanistan. Most of the BBC stories around women's education, Malala interview, how Afghanistan is in turmoil etc etc.

However I live next door to an Afghani family. Second time they are my neighbours as we were many years back too. They are immigrants here once the war kicked off. I have a really good relationship with them and know a bit if background for them. So the father fought for shah Masoud (still a big fan has a carpet thing on the wall with the man's photo) his wife is a shia. One of his kids got deported a few years back (nice enough lad when you knew him but always fighting).

I spoke to them initially and was expecting anything but the calmness they are portraying. They are not fans of the Taliban but don't seem to be that fussed about events and if anything are playing them down.

I thought maybe it was just them but it seems to be the same with other Afghani folk around here. Even the one who used to go back as an interpreter etc for the Brits doesn't seem that fussed.

Just found it bizarre that they are calmer than us none Afghanis on seeing and hearing what's going on.
Won't this depend on which Afghans you meet though? I've seen very worried Afghans on my social media feeds.

Won't this depend on which Afghans you meet though? I've seen very worried Afghans on my social media feeds.

Maybe, that's why I said I thought maybe my neighbours were of a certain view as they had a specific background and previous support was other than Taliban.

The guy who is interpreter I've mentioned before as him and my neighbours don't get on, again political differences.

Also just want to add , as I did mention in my initial post, social media is as you describe it as is the news generally (I mean sky bbc etc rather than some of the Indian news).

That is why I found the conversations I've had "bizarre"

and it's more than my neighbours and the interpreter guy I have other friends/acquaintances from Afghanistan background. Soone of the local shops where are get food from and even the Afghani restaurant downnthe road etc.

You maybe right maybe I'm just not getting the background issue. However had a brief conversation with a mate from a different area and he said the same thing hence why I posted. Was hoping maybe others with similar friends or acquaintances could add to what I said.

All things considered, this is quite a defining geopolitical event isn't it? Really wonder what the Taliban have in mind for the next years.

Even the economist is reporting that civilian life in the cities is going on just as common as usual. Other than the few chancers who decided to try and hitch a free ride to the U.S. there really isn’t the kind of alarm that is otherwise being portrayed.

Of course a few vocal critics of Taliban are rightly afraid and seeking an exit plan but they happen to be the vocal majority that give hysterical interviews to western media because they are right to believe their lives might be in jeopardy.

The training issue happened when The Shah fell. Even then there were young US officers who were saying that the Iranian military is not going to fight. Yes the elite would but the rank and file would not die for The Shah.
The American government didn't listen.
All weapons with the Afghan military would be taken by the Taliban.
Someone mentioned about a drone strike. That's stupid if the Taliban is not massacring innocent civilians.

After the conclusion of the 3 pressers from Biden, the US Department of State, and the DOD, CNN's Kabul reporter Nick Paton Walsh "Jake, I don't know how you square what's been said by the Defense Department with the scenes here at the airport."

Even the economist is reporting that civilian life in the cities is going on just as common as usual. Other than the few chancers who decided to try and hitch a free ride to the U.S. there really isn’t the kind of alarm that is otherwise being portrayed.

Of course a few vocal critics of Taliban are rightly afraid and seeking an exit plan but they happen to be the vocal majority that give hysterical interviews to western media because they are right to believe their lives might be in jeopardy.

Not saying these are reality of Afghanistan currently or truth (based on background of those saying it) but I've seen comments such as the following on facebook:

I know lots of people from Afghanistan and I can't see them frantic Or crying like the western media

And

People jumping on planes begging the Americans not to leave? No they're celebrating and trying loot and even joyride on the planes

NOTE these are not my comments, just what I've read. Have to say I didn't/don't buy into this either, I mean joyride? Wtf?

I think at this point it's clear the invasion or Afghanistan was a complete failure, particularly in training the Afghanistan army and the money spent on doing so just for it to all so quickly crumble. Hard to discern what the opinion of the Taliban in Afghanistan really is when the western media will give the majority of airtime to opponents of the Taliban. Clearly the dominant liberal view held in the West is that the Taliban takeover is tragic for the citizens of that country, particularly for democracy, freedom of speech, women's/LGBTQ+ rights and standard of life for the citizens and I completely agree and find it heartbreaking to watch. However, a point Biden makes which resonates is why did the Afghani leaders and army capitulate with very little conflict? Is the pro Taliban sentiment from within Afghanistan understated in the Western media or are there other reasons for the Taliban's rapid takeover? Psychological warfare I've seen mentioned as a key reason, people scared to fight for the sake of their families and the damage to morale the west did by deserting the Afghani army. Still find it strange seeing the Taliban's limited military capacity completely over running a country so quickly.

The 'joy ride' comment shows how ridiculous those comments are, as you say, on a day when we've seen footage of bodies falling the planes. You only do that if you're desperate.

It's interesting to know there's other perspectives out there, and expected given the mix of people and backgrounds you'll have, but no way is it only 'a few vocal critics' who are afraid. Most of the accounts I've read so far seem consistent that women have been told not to turn up to work/university and having to put the burqa on for safety, plus relying on male relatives to help them travel somewhere safely if needed.

Time will tell if they will be less barbaric than their 1990s incarnation, but I'd imagine it will all be relative. I would still expect it to be an extremely oppressive regime for women in particular, so I'm pretty sceptical about any claims 'this time they're different'.

How come they didn't transition to UN peacekeepers?

The clue is in the name, Peacekeepers try to keep peace. They are like lightly armed police but acting for an international body.

The Taliban wouldn't give the option of peace. They would engage in full scale war as soon as the American war machine pulled out. Without the air and artillery support the Peacekeepers would be overwhelmed pretty quickly, plus they wouldn't even fight.

Yes, I am Pashtun from Muhammad zai tribe. I agree with you, Afghanistan is like a ticking time bomb - I have no idea what Americans have achieved so far.? Civilian deaths,terrorism, corrupt government,tribes conflicts - they still exist as before invasion. The only thing they have done is build few schools and roads or women go to work and school. Positive propaganda, nothing else!
Americans or allied kept most parts of Afghanistan pretty safe until 2009 and they did a decent job trying to build a civil society.

At least £100 billions spent on trying to build up and mentoring Afghan police and army:eek: Not exactly value for money. On more example transformation have to happen from “the inside”.

I think at this point it's clear the invasion or Afghanistan was a complete failure, particularly in training the Afghanistan army and the money spent on doing so just for it to all so quickly crumble. Hard to discern what the opinion of the Taliban in Afghanistan really is when the western media will give the majority of airtime to opponents of the Taliban. Clearly the dominant liberal view held in the West is that the Taliban takeover is tragic for the citizens of that country, particularly for democracy, freedom of speech, women's/LGBTQ+ rights and standard of life for the citizens and I completely agree and find it heartbreaking to watch. However, a point Biden makes which resonates is why did the Afghani leaders and army capitulate with very little conflict? Is the pro Taliban sentiment from within Afghanistan understated in the Western media or are there other reasons for the Taliban's rapid takeover? Psychological warfare I've seen mentioned as a key reason, people scared to fight for the sake of their families and the damage to morale the west did by deserting the Afghani army. Still find it strange seeing the Taliban's limited military capacity completely over running a country so quickly.
From what I understand, Afghani leaders are corrupt to the core. They took the US money and gobbled it up. Nothing went to public. The US knew this very well, but kept pumping money anyways, year after year.
The Afghani army was never going to be interested if their leaders weren't. And there are rumours that they weren't even paid for a long time.

The 'joy ride' comment shows how ridiculous those comments are, as you say, on a day when we've seen footage of bodies falling the planes. You only do that if you're desperate.

It's interesting to know there's other perspectives out there, and expected given the mix of people and backgrounds you'll have, but no way is it only 'a few vocal critics' who are afraid. Most of the accounts I've read so far seem consistent that women have been told not to turn up to work/university and having to put the burqa on for safety, plus relying on male relatives to help them travel somewhere safely if needed.

Time will tell if they will be less barbaric than their 1990s incarnation, but I'd imagine it will all be relative. I would still expect it to be an extremely oppressive regime for women in particular, so I'm pretty sceptical about any claims 'this time they're different'.

Yeah you're right the joyride comments are definitely wtf moments for me.

However i did read some of those and it aroused my curiosity as to what afghans I knew thought about it. As I said pr viously there is a calmness I didn't expect. Especially from the likes of the guy who was back and forth as an interpreter, as he would be the kind of person who maybe seen as a "traitor".

Then again I did think maybe it's because he is over here and has made a pretty penny from the work he did. His kids driving around in new Mercedes and what not. Maybe different if he was over there.

Have to be honest and my initial thoughts also were that maybe the people around here would be more unhappy as they left Afghanistan due to fear, most being asylum seekers etc. That's why the calmness and Taliban back in charge was as surprise as some of them have family there.

From what I understand, Afghani leaders are corrupt to the core. They took the US money and gobbled it up. Nothing went to public. The US knew this very well, but kept pumping money anyways, year after year.
The Afghani army was never going to be interested if their leaders weren't. And there are rumours that they weren't even paid for a long time.

Was it on here someone posted about land cruisers full of money being found?

He'll get criticized for that, but in fairness there was no way of knowing Afghan forces would abandon their positions as rapidly and comprehensively as what ended up happening. Most thought this would play out over the span of a few weeks/months not days.
We should give them air support, we had an opportunity to decimate a lot of talibans when they left the mountains and they approached Kabul, now is too late.