Adrien Rabiot - you're not going to believe this but his Mum is his agent and a circus

Good points, but even with the retirement plans, pensions and connections, it's estimated that 40% of professional footballers file for bankruptcy within 5 years of retirement.

This covers lower leagues as well to be fair, but the vast majority of PL players especially those not among the highest wage earners will have money worries after retirement as they navigate a new financial landscape where thier spending habits post career have to drastically change
I remember this study being done on NFL players and this being the number but I don't remember it being done on PL footballers. If it was it does matter which year it was done and who it was done on. Something like an Allen Iverson case is rare in football. A player who plays 1 season in the PL is not on the same stable ground as someone who has played for 5 seasons you can assume because it's not paid as well. That being said, Icelandic players who have played mostly in the Championship are rich by Icelandic standards in our much more expensive economy climate. The money in football now is absolutely nuts. If you pay your taxes on time and don't gamble it away you are set for life but even though they are set players still seek out some kind of employment which means that all the money thet have earned is still extra on top of their new salary.

Wow is his mum really his agent? His mum? A football agent? Mad. Imagine having a family member who wasn't your Dad, or brother or an uncle, or a male cousin, as your agent. Mad. His actual mum. Bet she's moody. And temperamental and unreasonable.
I doubt she's  actually his agent.

I mean, come on.

As some others here have amusingly hinted at, there's more than a bit of misogyny going on with how Rabiot's mum is depicted. Most of the media out there seems to be tabloid junk about how she's problematic for being a tough negotiator and not wanting her son's image rights to be taken advantage of etc. I expect a large part of the negative view of her by the public is due to this media spin.

Wow is his mum really his agent? His mum? A football agent? Mad. Imagine having a family member who wasn't your Dad, or brother or an uncle, or a male cousin, as your agent. Mad. His actual mum. Bet she's moody. And temperamental and unreasonable.
To be fair any family member being your agent is normally a bad idea. Rabiot is without a club, the season has started and time is ticking. They’re not in a power position because no one is desperate for him.

Why does everyone think his mum is controlling him? This gets said all the time but I've yet to see evidence of it.

Keeping it in house is rarely about control and more about squeezing the last £ out of a player's career. Agent fees are real and usually run in millions

However the downside of that is agents are there for a reason and someone like Mendes can make or break a player's career

Ever wondered if the bad press has a lot to do with the fact that he doesn't have a big agent with a competent pr team? That's how journalism works these days.

Ever wondered if the bad press has a lot to do with the fact that he doesn't have a big agent with a competent pr team? That's how journalism works these days.

It's the agent's job to advise/protect his player. For example you don't drag a big club CEO and Dof to Turin unless the deal is basically done. That's because football is a close knit business and if you make them look silly then the word will spread fast. No one likes to look silly and they will make you pay for it

I would have taken him but hang on... I've just heard his mum is his agent. Can anyone confirm?

Could be? Could also be something to do with him or his mum/agent making very bad public decisions instead of having a word privately instead. Just a taste of what has gone on:

When at PSG, his mum said the following after he got dropped from the first team under Blanc:
"He is even held hostage by PSG," she said. "Soon it will be dry bread, water, and a dungeon! This environment is cruel. They want him to put on his pyjamas at nine o'clock, before the game, in front of his TV, to go to bed at eleven o'clock!"
Then he withdrew himself from selection after making the France reserves team the year France won the world cup, because he wasn't selected in the first 23:
"If I have decided to withdraw from the list of reservations it is because I consider the choice of the recruiter in my regard does not respond to any sporting logic because for all these years the message was clear, it is the performances in the club that open the doors to the French national team.

"I am a competitor, but also a man and I would like to be considered as such (...) and finally I will assume all the consequences of my choice with the support of family and relatives."

Then we have Euro 2020, when his mum decided to go to war with Mabappe and Pogba's families, all publicly:
Kylian Mbappe had a poor Euro 2020 by his lofty standards which ended in him missing a decisive penalty against Switzerland, sending France home. Veronique could not wait to give her thoughts on the ex-PSG star’s penalty miss, directing her fury at Mbappe’s parents - Wilfried and Fayza Lamari - in the stands. ESPN cited multiple sources suggesting she told Wilfried to speak with his "arrogant" son.

She reportedly raged: “It is embarrassing how he struck that, for a player of his level. He hit it too lightly, I hope you are going to scold him.” The Athletic also reported witnesses to have claimed Veronique clashed with members of Paul Pogba’s family during the game, after she accused him of being at fault for Switzerland’s third goal.

Another of The Athletic’s sources, with inside knowledge of the France squad, reported: “Rabiot’s mother is known to be very sensitive and very close to her son and she didn’t appreciate what Pogba’s friends were saying about one of Adrien’s touches.

“So she blamed Pogba for the loss of the ball in midfield (leading to Switzerland’s third goal). Then she went to Mbappe’s father: ‘You better take care of your son because he has a big head and too much protection from the press and I think he’s arrogant’. So it’s a mess and she is well known for that at Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus.”

The following year, Veronique Rabiot was asked about the incident in an interview with Ouest-France (via Marca ). She was unable to share too many details, but appeared to have a good reason for that.

"I can't speak about [the incident], there is a procedure underway," she said. "Now, when there is defamation, invasion of intimacy or insults, I go to court."

I bet she still drives him to training in the morning as well and gets all sweary with the other mums on match day.

One of the worst posts ever written online.
It’s not the same by any measure. Rabiot has already earned multiple millions of pounds for playing a fun game and is being greedy trying to get more than any club in a free market economy has deemed he is worth so far. The other is people doing one of the hardest jobs imaginable for comparatively terrible pay in a system where greedy establishment gets to decide their wage
Calm down ffs, you've totally misunderstood the point I'm making. No one's suggesting that doctors aren't worth more, I'm certainly not. Thats a completely different topic and issue.

The point I am making, is that 'people' will always try and get the most for themselves, regardless of what profession they are in. It was in relation to some people saying he's being greedy, simply because he's holding out for more money, which is a very normal thing to do. I then used the doctors as an example, they are holding out for as much as they can get and why not? It's that point you need to focus on before you get on your high horse and feel threatened by a few words and make a reply in the hope everyone will rally round to make you feel better. The politics behind it is a different matter.

It's irrelevant that Rabiot has already made millions, he's simply trying to maximise his capital. Do I agree with it and do I like it? No, but that's just the way it is, that's the way football is setup, it's the way capitalism is setup. Elon Musk doesn't stop making cars and rockets just because he's already 'got enough'.

Likewise are you telling me, that you wouldn't maximise your salary if your boss walked in and said 'hey, what pay rise do you want?...5% or 10%?"
You're telling me you'd choose "5%" because the doctors and nurses are doing one of the hardest jobs imaginable?

We both know you wouldn't.

Nobody is feeling threatened here, your pen is not as mighty as you may think Señor Quixote. If I was facing a 12-15 year career, then no, I would not willingly sit out during my prime as a market has so far deemed my worth below what I’m asking. So far, the market says he’s being greedy.

Could be? Could also be something to do with him or his mum/agent making very bad public decisions instead of having a word privately instead. Just a taste of what has gone on:

When at PSG, his mum said the following after he got dropped from the first team under Blanc:

Then he withdrew himself from selection after making the France reserves team the year France won the world cup, because he wasn't selected in the first 23:

Then we have Euro 2020, when his mum decided to go to war with Mabappe and Pogba's families, all publicly:

The first quote isn't under Blanc, it's from 2019. For context PSG had already started a media campaign against him because he rejected their last contract offer, he was suspended by the team midseason and then sent to the reserve when he was by far their best midfielder. That quote was after months where Rabiot didn't say much in spite of PSG's media campaign and bullying tactics which for me culminated with PSG allowing him to miss the Doha training camp to attend his grandmother funeral and then a few weeks later retroactively fining him for missing the training camp.

Also it's worth mentioning that PSG got sanctioned by the LFP for it since all of that was illegal.

Yeah exactly why I want to sign him, have we actually got space in our squad to do that or would we have to move someone out.
I can’t believe we don’t have the funds, and space-wise it means we get him in and Eriksen out

Just imagine what her reaction would be to our squad. This is precisely the type of drama the club doesn’t need at the moment.
I don't really know what this is supposed to mean as she's never commented on the quality of the squad he's been in? Reaching back to things that happened 4/5 years ago seems a bit of stretch, considering there's been no controversy at Juve and they've been just as shit as us.

Just imagine what her reaction would be to our squad. This is precisely the type of drama the club doesn’t need at the moment.
Seriously, give over with the obsessive focus on her. It's weird. And a bit unnerving.

Hang on, we've signed his mum and Rabiot is the agent?

Would bring some steel to our midfield.

I don't really know what this is supposed to mean as she's never commented on the quality of the squad he's been in? Reaching back to things that happened 4/5 years ago seems a bit of stretch, considering there's been no controversy at Juve and they've been just as shit as us.

And PSG not being the most functional club, management wise.