Adrien Rabiot - you're not going to believe this but his Mum is his agent and a circus

Reading this thread feels as if we already signed him or are advanced in negotiations. But I'm still waiting for one reliable source linking us with him. I don't think he's even on our list.

Reading this thread feels as if we already signed him or are advanced in negotiations. But I'm still waiting for one reliable source linking us with him. I don't think he's even on our list.
I would seriously hope not, this would just smack of the past mistakes of big name signing to supposedly appease the dumb fans. It has grubby Glazer fingerprints all over it.

I would seriously hope not, this would just smack of the past mistakes of big name signing to supposedly appease the dumb fans. It has grubby Glazer fingerprints all over it.
We should sign Ineos fingerprinted talent, which seems to be Sander Berge after failing to get Ugarte (who isn't particularly good, anyway).

Fact is Rabiot is better than two midfielders whose position he would occupy. He's available on a free and wages would be affordable.

We should be looking at him as an option, rather than blithely dismissing it because he 'gives off Glazer vibes', whatever that means.

rather than blithely dismissing it because he 'gives off Glazer vibes', whatever that means.
Big name, huge wages, short term fix.
That's what it means.

Big name, huge wages, short term fix.
That's what it means.

None of those apply here. 'Short-term fix' possibly, but he's 29, not hitting forty.

Within context, Rabiot is hardly a 'big name' and his wage demands will be about 200k less pw than Casemiro.

The 'Glazer signing' logic you have applied could be used on Ugarte. Expensive South American who is 'exactly what we need'?

Fred, Casemiro and Antony say hello.

What would be the reason Rabiot still hasn't signed somewhere? Is he waiting for a deal too good to be true or are there some assurances given by a certain club?

What would be the reason Rabiot still hasn't signed somewhere? Is he waiting for a deal too good to be true or are there some assurances given by a certain club?

He can probably afford to wait to see who is knocking at the door. Was at the Euro too so he's probably in shape.
He maybe won't get the contract he wants but I'm sure there's plenty of decent suitors.

He can probably afford to wait to see who is knocking at the door. Was at the Euro too so he's probably in shape.
He maybe won't get the contract he wants but I'm sure there's plenty of decent suitors.
Free transfers aren't affected by the deadline day for transfers so he can afford to sit and wait till someone gets desperate and pays the kings ransom he would want.

But which club would be willing to pay the bill and fits the profile he wants, a club big enough for his status. Would he be willing to fill his pockets @ the Saudi's at his age?

But which club would be willing to pay the bill and fits the profile he wants, a club big enough for his status. Would he be willing to fill his pockets @ the Saudi's at his age?

When the window starts closing, I think some clubs will probably be desperate for signing a solid midfielder. Maybe not one of the giants but surely a top half PL club or one in the other 4 leagues.

We should sign Ineos fingerprinted talent, which seems to be Sander Berge after failing to get Ugarte (who isn't particularly good, anyway).

Fact is Rabiot is better than two midfielders whose position he would occupy. He's available on a free and wages would be affordable.

We should be looking at him as an option, rather than blithely dismissing it because he 'gives off Glazer vibes', whatever that means.

Yeah my thoughts exactly

If we are pivoting from Ugarte then Rabiot & Amrabat wouldn't be a bad option
Rabiot is a very different player to Ugarte. Ugarte would be a Cassimiro replacement/depth. Rabiot would want to play in the same role as Mainoo, or even realistically even more further forward.

Last edited:
Whatever happens I hope we won't be linked with him again in the next transfer windows. This guy has one of the most uninteresting saga and transfer rumors of all time, fast approaching Gaitan level. Almost every season he's available and the discussions is always the same: high wages, agent mum (who controls his mind apparently), good as a stop gap, better than McTominay. It's always like that.

Anyone in here who doesn't want him should go to the United squad page and take a look at our midfield options and then have another think about it.
Yeah let's bring in another player who's 29 going on 30 on monster wages and a huge signing on bonus and then wonder why we are repeating the same mistakes of Woodward and co.

Anyone in here who doesn't want him should go to the United squad page and take a look at our midfield options and then have another think about it.
Like we did with Casemiro?

Endlessly repeating the same mistakes i.e. purchasing players who want to sit on their last big contract while their physical attributes decline massively doesn't feel like a particularly good idea to me

Hard to see him being motivated by anything we've achieved under ETH, especially as last season showed us on a downward trajectory. Unsure what his plans are with the NT, but I can imagine him wanting to avoid a club that's been a shit show in order to preserve his chances of playing.

He might be a decent player and back himself to earn a good wedge in a CL team. IMO he's far from being a great player. If he opts to join and we get him on sensible money then hopefully he'll do a job. I'm just not sure he sees us as the right choice.

Yeah let's bring in another player who's 29 going on 30 on monster wages and a huge signing on bonus and then wonder why we are repeating the same mistakes of Woodward and co.

Congratulations you completely misinterpreted my statement. I didn’t say “sign him at all costs” I said I want him.

And for the record not a single “free signing” we brought in under Woodward could be considered a mistake.

Like we did with Casemiro?

Endlessly repeating the same mistakes i.e. purchasing players who want to sit on their last big contract while their physical attributes decline massively doesn't feel like a particularly good idea to me

Casemiro was a 70m signing what the feck are you lot on about?

My god just because a player gets paid higher wages doesn’t make him the exact same situation as another who gets paid high wages.

The fact of the matter is we have exactly 1 good CM in the current squad and 0 good DM’s. If Mainoo (god forbid) gets injured we then have 0 total quality midfielders and will be trotting out Casemiro and Scott “I can’t pass a ball” McTominay and subsequently get spanked yet again by the Palace’s of the world. Rabiot brings good baseline athleticism and technicality and can play both positions. It’s not “perfect” because his mom is a twat and he’ll be on high wages but not every signing has to be a 10/10 dream fit for it to be a good piece of business. This isn’t us luring some washed up former star with a 400k a week contract. Everyone is turning their noses up at Rabiot but want to keep Maguire who’s on similar pay, more injury prone, older, and will leave for nothing next season anyways.

It’s sad that this is what it’s come to but when you fail to sell players to bring in cash to get a Ugarte or Zubimendi, this is what you’re left with. Give me Rabiot on 200k a week any day over just stubbornly refusing and then rolling out Christian fecking Eriksen who can’t even break into more than a trot these days, while we wonder what happened this season on the way to another 8th place finish.

Congratulations you completely misinterpreted my statement. I didn’t say “sign him at all costs” I said I want him.

And for the record not a single “free signing” we brought in under Woodward could be considered a mistake.
Technically he's a good player who can play 6 or 8. But you have to question why no one is in for him? Liverpool are looking towards Zubimendi. Athletico signed Conor Gallagher. In both cases why no Rabiot?

Most likely because he was a stupidly large signing on fee, guessing £10mil +, stupidly high wages, guessing 250k a week + and a 5 year contract. Add to that probably huge agent fees (which go to his agent, his mum) and he ends up being a substantial commitment in a financial package.

We get 12-18 months out of him then he drops off a cliff and we are stuck with his wages and him for a number of years.

I'd rather we didn't sign anyone, but made sure we got the right player in for the long term project be it in the January window or next summers window. Its bad enough we can't shift Casemiro, we'll add the French version to our books and watch history repeat itself.

Technically he's a good player who can play 6 or 8. But you have to question why no one is in for him? Liverpool are looking towards Zubimendi. Athletico signed Conor Gallagher. In both cases why no Rabiot?

Most likely because he was a stupidly large signing on fee, guessing £10mil +, stupidly high wages, guessing 250k a week + and a 5 year contract. Add to that probably huge agent fees (which go to his agent, his mum) and he ends up being a substantial commitment in a financial package.

We get 12-18 months out of him then he drops off a cliff and we are stuck with his wages and him for a number of years.

I'd rather we didn't sign anyone, but made sure we got the right player in for the long term project be it in the January window or next summers window. Its bad enough we can't shift Casemiro, we'll add the French version to our books and watch history repeat itself.

I don't see him like Casemiro whatsoever

All this is entirely made up, nothing likely about it. There's no team outside of Saudi that is giving him anything close to that (and even they wouldn't do 5 years).

All this is entirely made up, nothing likely about it. There's no team outside of Saudi that is giving him anything close to that (and even they wouldn't do 5 years).
We will see won't we. Someone will sign him eventually. We knew how much he wanted last season (a lot).

Its the final biggest pay packet of his career. Of course he's going to go for the most money possible. His agent is known from his PSG days just being interested in money,money,money.

Are we really desperate? We're going to suck this season anyways. He's going to be here for 5 years if he signs. Seems short sighted to make a signing just because he's an improvement over 1 year of his contract's midfield.

Are we really desperate? We're going to suck this season anyways. He's going to be here for 5 years if he signs. Seems short sighted to make a signing just because he's an improvement over 1 year of his contract's midfield.

No way he would be here for 5 years, think the most we offer is 2+1 on around £150-£175k a week

For a club that does not have cash and qualify played, deals like Rabiot and Hummels would have really helped us for the short term. We need energy in the midfield and 2 defenders who can play a high line

For a club that does not have cash and qualify played, deals like Rabiot and Hummels would have really helped us for the short term. We need energy in the midfield and 2 defenders who can play a high line
I don’t know why we didn’t go for that centre half from Fulham that went to Chelsea on a free. Chelsea have 9 centre backs