Adrien Rabiot - you're not going to believe this but his Mum is his agent and a circus

On a free, this is a no-brainer too me. We have to improve the whole squad

Mount isn’t Bruno’s backup. Bruno literally plays every game. He was used as a #8 and on the LW sometimes last season. And it doesnt matter if Eriksen can’t play at a high level. The fact of the matter is they are still here. You can’t keep adding players and payroll. Got to move them on.
Guess he will never ever get an injury then. And of course it mattters if Eriksen cannot play at a high level thats one of the reasons we finished 8th last season.
Also no one said not to move him on.
With McTominay and Amrabat leaving the squad we would need to sign 2 midfielders a 6 and an 8

Sure, it's speculative. But I reckon if we had real interest we would have signed him already or someone reliable would have reported something. He's been a free agent for weeks now.

You forgot Amrabat last season then, or De Ligt this season, or Ugarte this summer etc etc

Should get Rabiot in anyway and still be looking to get a Ugarte/Zubimendi as well. Instead this reads like he is only on a shortlist as a backup. Much as a fan of Adrien that I am it's not enough on his own

Last edited:
Should get Rabiot in anyway and still be looking to get a Ugarte/Zubimendi as well. Much as a fan of Adrien that I am it's not enough on his own that's for certain
It all depends on which version of Casemiro we will get and whether Ten Hag will have the managerial skill to manage him well on things like his matches and training load to keep him fresh because I think Rabiot, Collyer and Mainoo can rotate in and out for the role, depending on the opponent, to ensure that Casemiro is only played in the type of matches that are appropriate for whatever level he will show.

Rabiot seems more of a McTominay replacement to me, with the ability to play 6. So I think we would happier go into a season with Rabiot, Collyer, Mainoo and Casemiro as the true CMs in the squad. Ugarte would be a welcome addition to that, but I imagine someone else would need to leave.

It all depends on which version of Casemiro we will get and whether Ten Hag will have the managerial skill to manage him well on things like his matches and training load to keep him fresh because I think Rabiot, Collyer and Mainoo can rotate in and out for the role, depending on the opponent, to ensure that Casemiro is only played in the type of matches that are appropriate for whatever level he will show.

Yeah I'm not going to judge Casemiro on a better showing against Betis in pre-season, need to see it against City in Community Shield. Really hope it's not a case of Rabiot is a last resort and we don't sign anyone else in midfield but could see it happening.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not going to judge Casemiro on a better showing against Betis in pre-season, need to see it against City in Community Shield. Really hope it's not a case of Rabiot is a last resort and we don't sign anyone else in midfield but could see it happening.
Well there is nothing more I'd love to see than see one of Collyer or Gore make it here and them just having Casemiro and Rabiot to rotate in on increases their chances but I am also aware of the fact that we can't throw another season away like we did the last through sentimental decisions/indecisions.

Rabiot seems more of a McTominay replacement to me, with the ability to play 6. So I think we would happier go into a season with Rabiot, Collyer, Mainoo and Casemiro as the true CMs in the squad. Ugarte would be a welcome addition to that, but I imagine someone else would need to leave.
I think Collyer is the Mctominay replacement.

I think Collyer is the Mctominay replacement.
Perhaps, but Collyer to me has always seemed like a deeper lying midfielder than a box to box type. I see him as an Amrabaat replacement. Maybe he's the Scott replacement if we end up with Amrabaat!

Big signing on fee and wages, I think the club aren't going to sign anyone his age on big wages.

All the recruitment is skewing much younger, middle to long contracts, I think INEOS hope they can create a good core of players for a (relative) bargain and not have to reinvest constantly in the squad except for one or two pieces every summer. They might not be interested in stop gaps, they inherited a lot of players that are functionally that for their tenure considering their contracts run out in 1 or 2 years.

Depending on his potential salary demand this might also be a bad sign if it doesn't confirm to whatever wage ladder they want to impose.

Ultimately Rabiot might just be not the profile they want.

Last edited:
All the recruitment is skewing much younger, middle to long contracts, I think INEOS hope they can create a good core of players for a (relative) bargain and not have to reinvest constantly in the squad except for one or two pieces every summer. They might not be interested in stop gaps, they inherited a lot of players that are functionally that for their tenure considering their contract runs out in 1 or 2 years.

Depending on his potential salary demand this might also be a bad sign if it doesn't confirm to whatever wage ladder they want to impose.

Yeah and would totally understand if there was a fee involved, however hope INEOS at least enquired about his wage and contract demands

McTominay out for £25m, Rabiot in for nothing. I mean, it's a very sensible upgrade to the squad.
Would he be an upgrade? Didn’t see him do much at the Euro’s and I can’t see him putting in the effort or scoring the goals that McTominay has got us.
No I’d rather Utd say no thank you.

All the recruitment is skewing much younger, middle to long contracts, I think INEOS hope they can create a good core of players for a (relative) bargain and not have to reinvest constantly in the squad except for one or two pieces every summer. They might not be interested in stop gaps, they inherited a lot of players that are functionally that for their tenure considering their contract runs out in 1 or 2 years.

I could be wrong but reckon this might be the crux of it.

Would he be an upgrade? Didn’t see him do much at the Euro’s and I can’t see him putting in the effort or scoring the goals that McTominay has got us.

Yes he would be an upgrade and doesn't matter about not doing much at the Euros either

He was very good defensively while coming back from injury but liked dynamism going for forward which isn't normal for him. Also Rabiot puts infinitely more effort on the field than McTominay, the goal ratios are pretty close while their assists ratios aren't.

Yea i meant that. I reckon he wouldn't demand a lower salary than back then, would he?

He could. Two years ago, he had one year left on his contract which was higher than what United offered but his following extension with Juventus was with a wage reduction. It makes sense because unless Juventus paid him the difference he would have lost millions two years ago which was the case last summer and this one.

Yea i meant that. I reckon he wouldn't demand a lower salary than back then, would he?

Who knows, INEOS would have a very different approach to last time so maybe he would be more willing to negotiate with them. Want us to at least find out the terms and not just write off his profile either.

He was very good defensively while coming back from injury but liked dynamism going for forward which isn't normal for him. Also Rabiot puts infinitely more effort on the field than McTominay, the goal ratios are pretty close while their assists ratios aren't.
Interesting, I don’t watch any foreign domestic football so was just going off what I saw in the Euro’s.

Rabiot would rotate with Mainoo for the midfield position. He plays in the left half space too. Collyer and Eriksen additional cover for the 6 and 8 position. Scotty sold.

Bruno - Mount
Mainoo - Rabiot - Eriksen
Ugarte - Casemiro - Collyer

We could let Eriksen go too, but he could be helpful. We need the players, it's a long season, also given the new format in Europe.

Rabiot would rotate with Mainoo for the midfield position. He plays in the left half space too. Collyer and Eriksen additional cover for the 6 and 8 position. Scotty sold.

Bruno - Mount
Mainoo - Rabiot - Eriksen
Ugarte - Casemiro - Collyer

We could let Eriksen go too, but he could be helpful. We need the players, it's a long season, also given the new format in Europe.
This would be ideal, but I think Rabiot would want a longer contract as this would be his last big one while I presume United would only offer 2+1 contract. I mean given our financial restriction, getting someone like Rabiot on free would be a no brainer. But his age and contract length would make United think twice

Whatever happens to Rabiot this summer, I still don’t understand why he stuck around for another season at Juve when he could have left last summer. He's was coming off his best (or at least his best goal scoring) season so I’m sure he had suitors, plus he’s now a year older which will start to put off certain clubs (like us potentially).

Strange one as I don’t think Juve offered him crazy money to stay either.

All the recruitment is skewing much younger, middle to long contracts, I think INEOS hope they can create a good core of players for a (relative) bargain and not have to reinvest constantly in the squad except for one or two pieces every summer. They might not be interested in stop gaps, they inherited a lot of players that are functionally that for their tenure considering their contracts run out in 1 or 2 years.

This type of strategy doesn't account for the present.

Rabiot is far from perfect but he is a better player than at least two central midfielders at United, whom we'd want removing anyhow.

No transfer fee makes the signing all the more lucrative.

The issue with Rabiot is salary

he will expect 250k a week minimum coming with his profile and on a free I'd imagine

these wages are a major obstacle at the minute and when you are paying that kind of money you expect the player to be a starter, performing well with consistency.

I'm not sure you can say that about Rabiot? Maybe a nice idea on paper but in reality a headache of sorts. A bit like Mount in a way where we have a highly paid player who is unlikely to be anything other than a backup?

he will expect 250k a week minimum coming with his profile and on a free I'd imagine

these wages are a major obstacle at the minute and when you are paying that kind of money you expect the player to be a starter, performing well with consistency.

I'm not sure you can say that about Rabiot? Maybe a nice idea on paper but in reality a headache of sorts. A bit like Mount in a way where we have a highly paid player who is unlikely to be anything other than a backup?
There is no way he is asking for 250k. Obviously there will be a signing on bonus of maybe £5m but his weekly wages will be around £150-160k.

That certainly is one imagination you got there. :cool:

He's on around 140-150 now, I believe.

Italian tax laws are very good for footballers, UK ones aren’t.
Granted, however, UK teams aren't obligated to compensate that taxation difference, and we're thankfully not under Woodward anymore. I'd like to think that, at best, it's a compromise rather than an outright agreement to make up the entire difference in net.

I'd be out 100% if it's 250k.

Sure ratcliffe said in his recent interview that Utd are going for a younger profile squad i.e. 17-24 age group so like arsenal are now doing, the players hit their peak years around the same sort of time.

Also that we would be looking at free transfers and players in the final 12 months of their contract.

I think Rabiot will be holding out for massive wages and a massive signing on fee. It's the last big contract of his career. He will want alot of money.

Real Madrid are absolutely stacked in midfield and don't need him. If Atletico were really interested then why are they pursuing a deal for Conor Gallagher who let's face it isnt half the player Rabiot is.

Then in regards to arsenal, does he fit the right sided centre midfielder partner role for Declan Rice? I don't know. They have been heavily linked with Merino from Real Sociedad who's in his final 12 months of his deal.

To me, he looks like a ed Woodward signing not a INEOS one.