A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's temporary drop of form, brought on by an injury and made bigger through being rested.

His team mates's opinion of his hasn't gone down - They've selected him their player of the season.

Since that Liverpool game he hasn't been the same. Maybe lack of confidence, maybe burn out. I don't think he's played differently, but his end product kind of disappeared, bar his two assists in the Fulham game. Valencia came back strongly, Giggs played well, Park played well, and Nani - who helped carry us for a long time - hasn't. It's simple.

Fair enough, I forgot about the United player of the season thing. It just seems unfortunate that his poor run has come now, given he'll probably be benched for your biggest game this season, although I imagine he'll get on at some point.

We do not need Young. If we were to invest in a winger, I would like to see a young player like Hoilett of Blackburn. He is only 20, a perfect age to be moulded into a special player.

Maybe we're not looking for 'projects' right now but someone who could do a very good job right away. Someone who may not frighten Real or Barca, but will clearly be good enough against most opposition. Because except for Nani or Valencia, we don't have another pacey, tricky winger, and wings are vital for us.

Cleverley could be a project (if we see him as a winger, maybe we don't), Welbeck (if we see him as a winger, maybe we don't), Bebe (if we see him as a winger, Fergie says he'll be a striker), Obertan. We already have players of talent, but right now we may need something else.

FFS Cleverly is not a winger.

His natural position is not that of a winger but he can and does play there. It's where he's played most of the season at Wigan and where he will play for United when he gets games this season.

You do get that, right?

I really don't understand posts like "please no" and "god no".

He's English, a good age, can play a variety of positions, obviously talented and would be quite cheap possibly giving more cash to spend on say, the World Class goalkeeper we need?

Young would be a good signing. There's no doubt about that.

Nail well and truly hit.

Some people on here really make me laugh. They'd be tossing themselves silly if United blew the transfer budget on some kid from France like it's Football Manager but can't see quality when its staring them in the face.

Surely this season more than any has shown that modern football is a squad game? You need stregth and depth all over the park and a well established fairly young PL player surely ticks the boxes - especially given his contract position.

Young is a very good player who not that long ago was being linked to all the top clubs, he's performed consistently for Villa over the last few years and seems to be nailing down a place for England.

He has all the tools to improve even more at a club like United - just Like Valencia who most people seem to forget was playing well for an average Wigan side but was hardly a world beater week in week out for them.

Fair enough, I forgot about the United player of the season thing. It just seems unfortunate that his poor run has come now, given he'll probably be benched for your biggest game this season, although I imagine he'll get on at some point.

It sure is unfortunate however he had a blistering 12 months for us and carried our attacking play until Christmas.

When he got done by Carragher that effectively brought his season to an end. He mentioned afterwords he'd been playing with a lot of different injuries so it had all mounted up.

Obviously this all coincided with a number of big games whereby Fergie wanted the work rate of Park and Valencia on the wings given he had an extra body upfront in Hernandez.

As for Saturday, I agree. He probably won't play.

Surely this season more than any has shown that modern football is a squad game? You need stregth and depth all over the park and a well established fairly young PL player surely ticks the boxes - especially given his contract position.

We have the best wing depth in the league. Nani, Valencia, Park, Giggs is a quartet most teams would kill to have. Then we have young players coming through in Cleverley, Obertan, Bebe and Welbeck. In case of emergencies we even have Fletcher, Rafael, Fabio, Evra and Anderson who can play on the wings. I mean how much wing depth does one team need, especially when there are other areas of the squad in more immediate need of strengthening?

In my opinion the longterm absences of Valencia and Park this season have completely distorted some people's views of our wing depth.

And before someone mentions it yes Young can also play behind a striker but we have Rooney, Berbatov, Hernandez, Welbeck, Macheda, Diouf, Anderson, Giggs, Cleverley and Obertan all competing for playing time in that second striker/attacking midfielder role.

Rubbish Tony was brilliant for Wigan, easily their best player. He was one of the best young players at the WC Too.

Btw I would love to have young here but that Nani comment is utterly clueless. If you want a better description of Young's performance go to villa talk forums, the consensus there is that Young hasn't played that well, his performance has been boosted by setplays. Downing has been easily their best player.

What player of Nani's skillset - flair, selfish shots, crossing - do you see dominating on a lesser team? No winger in that mold pops out at me.

What player of Nani's skillset - flair, selfish shots, crossing - do you see dominating on a lesser team? No winger in that mold pops out at me.

Charles N'Zogbia of Wigan is a similar player and has done excellently well for Wigan despite not being better than Nani.

Charles N'Zogbia of Wigan is a similar player and has done excellently well for Wigan despite not being better than Nani.

True, and he'd be an interesting option as well. Having said that, being a bit of a nutter and not being English may work against him.

if he wasn't english, lads on here would be laughing.

he's ok, nothing more. a plyer to give valencia and nani a breather.

walcott and n'zogbia are better and younger.

Young is far better than Walcott.

Walcott is all pace and no product.

Can we keep this thread for the end of next season when everyone loves Ashely Young (assuming he does sign!)

if he wasn't english, lads on here would be laughing.

he's ok, nothing more. a plyer to give valencia and nani a breather.

walcott and n'zogbia are better and younger.

If he wasn't English and played for a foreign club he would be rated much higher to be fair.

What I like about Young is that he can play both on the wing and down the middle - I would actually say he has looked the best when being used in an attacking midfield role right behind the striker.

I would love to see Young - as long as there is still enough money to sign a classy midfield player.

If for instance we end up with Varane, Young, de Gea and one classy midfielder like Modric/Sneijder - I would be thrilled. But we need that last world-class midfielder

N'Zogbia would be cheaper and for me is a better player.

I would take him any day over Young given the choice. But if we sign Young I wont complain. He is a good player and will certainly add options

N'Zogbia would be cheaper and for me is a better player.

I would take him any day over Young given the choice. But if we sign Young I wont complain. He is a good player and will certainly add options

Na Young has got more to his game than N'Zogbia. However a move to Villa would be a good replacement for them.

Good signing if we get him. I don't see why people wouldn't be happy with Young, Nani, Valencia and Park as our wing options for the next few years (and probably longer in the case of the first 3).

The only areas of the field we need to be signing world beaters is Midfield and GK. We could do with a winger for squad depth only and Young fits the bill.

Young or Douglas Costa... or maybe even Hazard.

Tough choice but that would add some good depth, anyway.

No he wouldn't be,he is just a average player and nowhere good enough to play for utd.

You don't exactly have a record of rating players like him, i.e. good and solid but not fancy, do you?

He's not average at all, and he isn't even that far behind players people cream over here.

Young would flourish at a club like United with top class talent playing aside him.

I hate this kind of comment.

It's fairly typical of many on here unfortunately. They all made eyes at all these 'superstars' from other countries and then when we get linked to a very good player in the Premiership they scoff and turn their noses up (see Valencia).

Young is a good age, adept on both wings, proven Premiership performer (and establishing himself internationally), great crosser and set pieces, good eye for a pass, works hard and is hungry to win things (another key attribute SAF looks for in a player). He can also pay equally well from either flank, or behind the striker to offer some versatility.

If he signs for us I'm sure he'll be a success.

You don't exactly have a record of rating players like him, i.e. good and solid but not fancy, do you?

He's not average at all, and he isn't even that far behind players people cream over here.

See we need a player that will directly walk into the team,do you really think young is any better than valencia and nani??? i guess not...So we need someone with a bit of special quality..

See we need a player that will directly walk into the team,do you really think young is any better than valencia and nani??? i guess not...So we need someone with a bit of special quality..

Why, when we have Valencia and Nani who are both good first team players? It's a squad game.

Why, when we have Valencia and Nani who are both good first team players? It's a squad game.

Its better to give our youth players like morrison pogba and reserve players like wellbeck and cleverley a chance to become squad members rather than buying another squad player.

If he wasn't English no one would mention him and you could pick him up for 8M euros.

You don't think he'd cost a similar amount to what Valencia did? Both have had similar careers at mid-lower PL clubs.

He's at a similar level Valencia was at when we bought him.

Valencia had 'potential', only tools who missed their fix of Ronaldo.. refused to see it, he has that ability to explode.. rip players to shreds. Young isn't that type of player, but he is a more consistent Premiership performer than Tony V ever was at Wigan in terms of assists/goals.. players like Darren Bent are proven premiership performers, but that doesn't make them good enough to play for a Club like United, or be useful enough in the squad sense to splash out on.

For me Young would be a decent squad player and I reckon he's a more natural left winger than Nani at the moment, and a decent player in the hole.. that said, I think we have more pressing concerns i.e. midfield and I'd also rather we signed a left-footed winger, to give the team more options and a genuine left-footed alternative to Giggs.

Its better to give our youth players like morrison pogba and reserve players like wellbeck and cleverley a chance to become squad members rather than buying another squad player.

Not if we feel we need a third wing option to Nani and Valencia, who can do a top job in the Premier League right way. If those lads are good enough they'll get their chances.

We have the best wing depth in the league. Nani, Valencia, Park, Giggs is a quartet most teams would kill to have. Then we have young players coming through in Cleverley, Obertan, Bebe and Welbeck. In case of emergencies we even have Fletcher, Rafael, Fabio, Evra and Anderson who can play on the wings. I mean how much wing depth does one team need, especially when there are other areas of the squad in more immediate need of strengthening?

In my opinion the longterm absences of Valencia and Park this season have completely distorted some people's views of our wing depth.

And before someone mentions it yes Young can also play behind a striker but we have Rooney, Berbatov, Hernandez, Welbeck, Macheda, Diouf, Anderson, Giggs, Cleverley and Obertan all competing for playing time in that second striker/attacking midfielder role.

Nani and Valencia are great players while Park does the job pretty well. Giggs is getting old, Welbeck is a striker, Fletcher is a central midfielder, Evra/Fabio/Rafael are defenders, Obertan/Bebe are pretty meah. We need to think of Giggs replacement, the answer here is whether Cleverley can do the job or not.

I can't see this deal happening. I imagine it was looked at when Valencia was seriously injured and there would naturally be concerns that he wouldn't fully recover. Or in case Nani decided to leave. In the current situation, the maths simply don't add up. Young's wages are too high for the number, and type, of games he'd play for us. Reduces opportunities for Cleverley, Welbeck, Bebe and Obertan, if he is still at the club. Young's age is too similar to Nani and Valencia.

Young is a decent player but bringing him to the club would create at least as many problems as it would solve. United have a large squad and need to be careful about making sure players get enough playing time to keep them reasonably content.

I'd want him just so that Giggs plays 90% of his matches centrally next season.

Nani, Valencia, Park and Young as options on the wings is terrific especially since Young can play on either wing. For me it was noticeable that Giggs and Nani were affected by playing so many games on the trot on the wings. That we want our wingers working hard going back and forth the full length of the pitch, having top options is a great thing.

For 15m for him - that's really good even if he just has a year left. He is good at set pieces as well. With no Hargo in the team, we've been dire for large parts of the season on free kicks - Young when playing can be a big bonus in that area.

I'm pretty sure anyone who consistently put up the goals and assist totals he has in a decent team would get noticed just the same.

You don't think an English player gets noticed more in an English league?

Status
Not open for further replies.