A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

starman

I dont why hes peoples top choice, never won anything and has been blessed to have great recruitment staff/academy setups behind him. No doubt hes a good manager, but hes no more impressive then Howe imo.

Much rather spend the 20m or so to get Allegri.

crossy1686

career ending
Still think he would be the ideal coach. His ability to develop young players and give the team a style of play is just great. Think he could do a lot of good to United!

Don't think Levy would let him go - especially not to us.
Has he really developed any young players or has he been forced to play them because Levy has refused to spend big on established names? If so, surely the credit goes to Tottenham's scouting network for finding these players in the first place.

Dominos

This is the best Tottenham have been in a while, and were within 6 points was it? Before they lost to wolves.
Money spent is a stupid argument considering the quality players Tottenham have, it Eriksen and Kane cost 100 mil each does that mean they should challenge?
All that matters once the window closes is the quality of the side and Tottenham have as good a team as anyone. The difference is Tottenham prefer to manage expectations rather than push on and challenge.
6 points with a huge gap in goal difference is not even particularly close.

It's not about money it's about improving the squad, if you're falling short of the title you go out and buy players to make the team better which is what Pep and Klopp have done and look at what that has resulted in.

The funny thing is if Spurs were so shit that they never got any praise or ever got into a good position they could never be accused of bottling. I guess that's been United's approach over the last 6 years, to be so dreadful that we're just viewed as shite rather than bottlers. Very logical.

Loublaze

ATLien
Still think he would be the ideal coach. His ability to develop young players and give the team a style of play is just great. Think he could do a lot of good to United!

Don't think Levy would let him go - especially not to us.
He can't hold him ransom if Pochettino wants to leave

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
They are just missing something, spurs that is. Liverpool are able to win big but also win dirty if needs be.

When we won the europa, spurs crashed out against some very poor team. I think it was Genk. They are just not as ruthless as City last year were.

E-mal

I dont why hes peoples top choice, never won anything and has been blessed to have great recruitment staff/academy setups behind him. No doubt hes a good manager, but hes no more impressive then Howe imo.

Much rather spend the 20m or so to get Allegri.
Allegri is so defensive and also wins in a league where his team is considerably better than the rest.

Skills

Snitch
They are just missing something, spurs that is. Liverpool are able to win big but also win dirty if needs be.

When we won the europa, spurs crashed out against some very poor team. I think it was Genk. They are just not as ruthless as City last year were.
That's most Spurs games. They're a battle mostly and they rarely ever play teams off the park with their ability on the ball.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Allegri is so defensive and also wins in a league where his team is considerably better than the rest.
Would agree. Simone, Conte, Mourinho and to an extent Allegri are all defensive minded managers. Granted Allegri shows a bit more attacking nous.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
6 points with a huge gap in goal difference is not even particularly close.

It's not about money it's about improving the squad, if you're falling short of the title you go out and buy players to make the team better which is what Pep and Klopp have done and look at what that has resulted in.

The funny thing is if Spurs were so shit that they never got any praise or ever got into a good position they could never be accused of bottling. I guess that's been United's approach over the last 6 years, to be so dreadful that we're just viewed as shite rather than bottlers. Very logical.
6 points gap as of boxing is day is obviously close, it's stupid to suggest otherwise. I wouldn't even say they're currently out the race, if they can keep winning matches they'll be right up there.
You say very logical sarcastically but of course that is the case.
One of the best squads in the league, with a seemingly brilliant manager should be expected to challenge for the title regularly.
United on the other hand have been poor, have bought poorly and ergo aren't expected to win the league because we're in sixth place.

crossy1686

career ending
Would agree. Simone, Conte, Mourinho and to an extent Allegri are all defensive minded managers. Granted Allegri shows a bit more attacking nous.
We shouldn't be going anywhere near those managers, none of them would improve us. Not that we should aspire to be like anyone but I do believe we should be taking a more 'Barcelona' approach to our next appointment.

starman

He's balanced, he might not be a Klopp or Pep but he's certainly not a Mourhino. His team creates a lot of chances and tries to play. You think Ronaldo would go to a extremely defensive team?

He won the title unexpectedly with Sassuolo and Milan, neither were favourites.

Dominos

6 points gap as of boxing is day is obviously close, it's stupid to suggest otherwise. I wouldn't even say they're currently out the race, if they can keep winning matches they'll be right up there.
You say very logical sarcastically but of course that is the case.
One of the best squads in the league, with a seemingly brilliant manager should be expected to challenge for the title regularly.
United on the other hand have been poor, have bought poorly and ergo aren't expected to win the league because we're in sixth place.
It will take 100+ points to win the league this season. That was only achieved for the first time ever last season. Ferguson's best United team's, Mourinho's Chelsea sides, Arsenal's invincibles - none of them even came close to getting 100 points.

And you think Tottenham fecking Hotspur, who can't even sign a single player to improve their squad, should be getting the 100 points neccessary to win the league.

This place has gone mad, it really has. Their team is massively overrated, and I don't mean that disrespectfully because they're clearly a good side, but we've gotten to the point of delusion where we expect a paper thin squad to best the richest teams in Europe who also have world class managers (Klopp, Pep).

crossy1686

career ending
He's balanced, he might not be a Klopp or Pep but he's certainly not a Mourhino. His team creates a lot of chances and tries to play. You think Ronaldo would go to a extremely defensive team?

Ronaldo went to whoever was paying the highest wages and was in the CL. With the amount of money invested in him, Ronaldo could have any manager in the world sacked if he refused to play for them.

Dec9003

It will take 100+ points to win the league this season. That was only achieved for the first time ever last season. Ferguson's best United team's, Mourinho's Chelsea sides, Arsenal's invincibles - none of them even came close to getting 100 points.

And you think Tottenham fecking Hotspur, who can't even sign a single player to improve their squad, should be getting the 100 points neccessary to win the league.

This place has gone mad, it really has. Their team is massively overrated, and I don't mean that disrespectfully because they're clearly a good side, but we've gotten to the point of delusion where we expect a paper thin squad to best the richest teams in Europe who also have world class managers (Klopp, Pep).
We're going around in circles mate.
Agree to disagree, I think a team as good as Tottenham with a manager of their quality should be challenging for the league, it's a dissappointment on their part if they fail to do so.

Dominos

We're going around in circles mate.
Agree to disagree, I think a team as good as Tottenham with a manager of their quality should be challenging for the league, it's a dissappointment on their part if they fail to do so.
Why would Sir Alex Ferguson fail to ever get near 100 points but fecking Spurs would? This is Spurs we're talking about..

That's also the issue - if they "challenge" for the league and fail to win it they're considered bigger bottlers than if they'd just trailed the leaders by 10 points the whole season... My advice to Poch would be to not get anywhere near Liverpool beacause if he finishes on 100 points and Liverpool finish on 101 then he'll be in for some serious abuse over not winning the league.

starman

No, I wouldn't say he was another Mourinho, I just don't think he's a good fit for us. We don't need another manager who wants to bend the club to his will. It doesn't work for us.
What are you talking about? Allegri has been praise for his less rigid approch compared to previous Italian school of managers.

I think you just have a picture in your head and your way of thinking is just agenda driven. Applies to your Ronaldo post as well

Dec9003

Why would Sir Alex Ferguson fail to ever get near 100 points but fecking Spurs would? This is Spurs we're talking about..

That's also the issue - if they "challenge" for the league and fail to win it they're considered bigger bottlers than if they'd just trailed the leaders by 10 points the whole season... My advice to Poch would be to not get anywhere near Liverpool beacause if he finishes on 100 points and Liverpool finish on 101 then he'll be in for some serious abuse over not winning the league.
Ok, so if Ferguson never got to 100 points, why is klopp's Liverpool guaranteed to?
If they finished on 100 points and didn't win the league Pochettino would be rightfully praised, to suggest otherwise is laughable ameteur dramatics.

Aloysius's Back 3

Jose would win a title with that spurs team + one traditional winger.

Never been all that excited about Pochettino except his ability to rack up a good squad.

crossy1686

career ending
What are you talking about? Allegri has been praise for his less rigid approch compared to previous Italian school of managers.

I think you just have a picture in your head and your way of thinking is just agenda driven. Applies to your Ronaldo post as well
No, not at all. I've seen Juventus play in the CL, not so much in their league so my exposure isn't huge but I've seen enough to know they're the best team in a one horse league, with the best players and the biggest budget. On top of that they are largely unimpressive in most games, they're organised but most of their goals are down to individual effort.

We don't need a another manager that doesn't know what it means to manage Manchester United. We're not Juventus.

Dominos

Ok, so if Ferguson never got to 100 points, why is klopp's Liverpool guaranteed to?
If they finished on 100 points and didn't win the league Pochettino would be rightfully praised, to suggest otherwise is laughable ameteur dramatics.
They're not guaranteed to - but at the moment they're on course for around 103, the actual number isn't important but the key is you're going to have to smash Fergie's best points total to win the league this season. Expecting pennyless Spurs to achieve that is just absurd.

As for why Liverpool are doing so well, a combination of squad investment and good coaching. Spurs have one of those but not the other.

Ban

They're not guaranteed to - but at the moment they're on course for around 103, the actual number isn't important but the key is you're going to have to smash Fergie's best points total to win the league this season. Expecting pennyless Spurs to achieve that is just absurd.

As for why Liverpool are doing so well, a combination of squad investment and good coaching. Spurs have one of those but not the other.
You're talking as they have a shit squad which they dont. Sure they didn't spend a dime but they already have a good squad, certainly capable of going all the way. On paper at least.

E-mal

No he didn't, certainly not serie A.

edcunited1878

He's still a very good choice to be next United manager. Ole will have his chances to showcase his credentials.

The knee jerk reactions after singular matches are very annoying and completely ignore all context.

Poch, like all managers before and after him, will have their flaws and doubts.

For Ole, there was a reported clause that sees United paying more money to Molde to become the permanent United manager. Thus, we have at least two clear managers who can and deserve to be seriously considered for next United manager

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
He’s assembled a great team and got them playing lovely football all while having a fraction of the budget of every other team around him.

He’s the manager of the year so far. No doubt.

Dominos

You're talking as they have a shit squad which they dont. Sure they didn't spend a dime but they already have a good squad, certainly capable of going all the way. On paper at least.
It's a thin squad with very little depth. And the squad is considered good because he's improved their performances through his coaching, their squad wasn't considered good when he took over in 2014 - these young players and cheap signings didn't turn up on his doorstep as top class players, he developed them.

Ban

It's a thin squad with very little depth. And the squad is considered good because he's improved their performances through his coaching, their squad wasn't considered good when he took over in 2014 - these young players and cheap signings didn't turn up on his doorstep as top class players, he developed them.
So yeah, as I said he developed a good squad. As for the depth, could be better but not as disastrous as you put it.

Dominos

So yeah, as I said he developed a good squad. As for the depth, could be better but not as disastrous as you put it.
There's generally a limit on how far you can develop a squad without investing in it. A team who can't invest in their squad is fairly unlikely to smash the points record of Fergie's United, Mourinho's Chelsea and Arsene's invincibles wouldn't you say?

starman

No he didn't, certainly not serie A.
Obviously, he didnt win serie A with them, he won the league they were in (C), which was unexpected, which refutes your point of him only winning with the best teams.
Poch has never won a single trophy in his entire managerial career, yet people want us to spend 30m+ on him. I would take Howe or Solskjaer (if he can achieve top 4), before Poch

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's still a very good choice to be next United manager. Ole will have his chances to showcase his credentials.

The knee jerk reactions after singular matches are very annoying and completely ignore all context.

Poch, like all managers before and after him, will have their flaws and doubts.

For Ole, there was a reported clause that sees United paying more money to Molde to become the permanent United manager. Thus, we have at least two clear managers who can and deserve to be seriously considered for next United manager
He lost today though.
He's off the list :lol:

Ban

There's generally a limit on how far you can develop a squad without investing in it. A team who can't invest in their squad is fairly unlikely to smash the points record of Fergie's United, Mourinho's Chelsea and Arsene's invincibles wouldn't you say?
It's not just this season. Spurs getting close to the top and fading away quickly is a continuous theme.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

This talks like spending millions is any sort of guarantee.
Look at the amount we've spent. It wouldn't necessarily improve Spurs first X1 if they spent 100m for instance.

Poch has done amazingly to put this squad together though, and even better for some of them to keep repeatedly signing on for long periods, despite never really looking like making that final breakthrough to achieving.
I wonder if it's a mentality thing, shown in results like today. They start thinking how close to the top they are, then crumble away.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's not just this season. Spurs getting close to the top and fading away quickly is a continuous theme.
Yep. 11 goals in 2 utter smashfests, and then suddenly could be within 3 points of top if results go their way, and lose at home to Wolves.
Really could not make it up. More of a shock than Arsenal getting battered for sure.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Jose would win a title with that spurs team + one traditional winger.

Never been all that excited about Pochettino except his ability to rack up a good squad.
Yeah, Jose would win the title with Winks and Sissoko?
He would spend his entire time moaning. You can knock Pochettino without coming up with that.