2024 U.S. Elections

Carolina Red

Staff
So what happens when prices don't come down during a Trump 2nd term? Bloody Soros at it again
Bingo. It’s always a bullshit answer for everything.

Like how right now the memes being posted ignore the context of being mid-pandemic shutdown. No no no, it’s clearly because Trump is the messiah.

gfactor86

The DNC changing the rules to bring in Newsom would be politically disastrous and would look even worse than just plodding on with Joe. Even if they got him in, and somehow survived the damage of all of that, he probably wouldn't even be a popular candidate in swing states, hasn't had a campaign, etc. He'd probably do worse than Biden if anything. Kamala is a non starter. I bet he will be the nominee, I've already got my money on it anyway!
Can't Biden just stand down himself?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I think the Dems just got too fixated on the idea that Biden's the only won that can beat Trump, ignoring all other logic and common sense. Still don't really think it's too late to switch given the circumstances of the election, but any new candidate not going through the usual campaign process is a pretty big issue.

Oh well, hopefully there's some semblance of a democracy left in '28.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
The DNC changing the rules to bring in Newsom would be politically disastrous and would look even worse than just plodding on with Joe. Even if they got him in, and somehow survived the damage of all of that, he probably wouldn't even be a popular candidate in swing states, hasn't had a campaign, etc. He'd probably do worse than Biden if anything. Kamala is a non starter. I bet he will be the nominee, I've already got my money on it anyway!
Dems are in no-win scenario here, just have the DNC hand the nomination to someone like Newsom would look terrible, and he is probably a weaker candidate than most people realize now, can't see him doing well in swing States either.

Every move carries a lot of risk, and since he probably isn't stepping down, better invest all in the rustbelt states and hope it is enough.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
To who?

I don't think there's a viable candidate that can bring the party together. I'd have preferred is Sherrod Brown had made a more of an effort earlier, but too late now.
Sherrod Brown? That automatically forfeits the senate.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
To who?

I don't think there's a viable candidate that can bring the party together. I'd have preferred is Sherrod Brown had made a more of an effort earlier, but too late now.
If Brown ran then control of the Senate would be gone as Brown himself is going to have a hard time holding on to his seat this year.

edit: so basically what @Morty_ said

ManUtd1999

I didn’t watch the debate, and hope that it doesn’t make any difference.

But, Biden was the one who wanted to debate. He didn’t need to. He invited a convicted felon to debate him. I know that that was before the verdict, but at the time Trump was busy with the trial.

Political malpractice by Biden.

Sherrod Brown? That automatically forfeits the senate.
So…?

The Presidency is more important. And the Senate might be lost any way.

BTW, I’m not sure that replacing Biden is the right thing to do. I’m just saying that losing the senate to win the White House is worth it.

Ubik

To who?

I'm not really up on who's around right now tbh, but going to the country saying Biden's good for another 4 years seems a suicide pill, so pretty much anything is an improvement on that.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'm not really up on who's around right now tbh, but going to the country saying Biden's good for another 4 years seems a suicide pill, so pretty much anything is an improvement on that.
Not particularly. 4 years of even an sick Biden is still preferred to Trump, so pretty much all Dems would vote for him even if they rolled him out on a stretcher.

I just don't see this debate making any significant impact to the polls.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Not particularly. 4 years of even an sick Biden is still preferred to Trump, so pretty much all Dems would vote for him even if they rolled him out on a stretcher.

I just don't see this debate making any significant impact to the polls.
Normally I'd completely agree, but I feel like this is one of those few times when it might actually matter a lot, simply due to everything surrounding it.

Mike Smalling

The easiest thing to do for the DNC is to stick with Biden and hope for the best. It requires the least courage, and the least amount of action. So that's inevitably what they will do.

Ubik

Normally I'd completely agree, but I feel like this is one of those few times when it might actually matter a lot, simply due to everything surrounding it.
Yeah, this isn't "bad debate" in Obama 2012 terms, it's more like a distillation of the concept.

Revan

Assumptionman
I wonder why they went with her as the VP last time. Surely there were better candidates who could be VP than her.
Biden wanted a black woman as VP and she had some name recognition from having roasted Kavanaugh on senate hearings. I actually think that she was the initial favorite to win the Dem election until Tulsi killed her chances on stage.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The easiest thing to do for the DNC is to stick with Biden and hope for the best. It requires the least courage, and the least amount of action. So that's inevitably what they will do.
I want to say that another candidate wouldn't be able to legally use the campaign funds donated to another candidate. I think i heard such a few weeks ago. Trying to confirm that. Could be wrong though.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah, this isn't "bad debate" in Obama 2012 terms, it's more like a distillation of the concept.
Every incumbent back to Carter (with the exception of W) did poorly in the first debate. We shall see with Biden.

Revan

Assumptionman
Can’t say I didn’t call this exact thing a year ago. Biden is too old and incoherent to run. The MSM have been headlining the American people, so fck them.

What happens next? DNC have 40 days to replace Biden which will be really difficult. Because Biden is the incumbent, they’d have to convince him to step down, which they have already started to do. Then they have to get rid of Kamala, because if she doesn’t bow out she will get pummeled by Trump in November.

Then they have to replace the entire ticket with Newsome, Whitmer, Sherrod or big Mike. This is going to be really tricky because you need someone with name recognition who will really The party and not lose the swing states.
I think Whitmer is the obvious choice. Will give Michigan to Dems for sure, and would have a good chance on giving them Pennsylvania and Wisconsin which should be enough to win the election.

I think a ticket of Whitmer-Newson has the best chance of winning the election, but at this stage it might be a bit too late.

The only other alternative is Taylor Swift. I am only half serious.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
It's not really anything new or unexpected. His age and mental coherence has been under scrutiny for couple of years now.
Attention span of voters isn't typically that long anyway, hope they forget about this come October, which they might.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
As someone said earlier, incredible how these two are America’s two choices for President.

It’s cartoon like, almost.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's not really anything new or unexpected. His age and mental coherence has been under scrutiny for couple of years now.
Everyone already knew Biden was old and slow, but I don't think you can deny that it was far worse than most people expected. The reaction to it is enough proof of that. And that's why it's going to matter. It'll amplify an already existing perception.

Every incumbent back to Carter (with the exception of W) did poorly in the first debate. We shall see with Biden.
That was worse than just "poor", to be fair.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think Whitmer is the obvious choice. Will give Michigan to Dems for sure, and would have a good chance on giving them Pennsylvania and Wisconsin which should be enough to win the election.

I think a ticket of Whitmer-Newson has the best chance of winning the election, but at this stage it might be a bit too late.

The only other alternative is Taylor Swift. I am only half serious.
Newsom already has stated (& unequivocally answered direct questions) that he wouldn't be on the ticket this election cycle.

Also don't think he would run as a VP candidate.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Everyone already knew Biden was old and slow, but I don't think you can deny that it was far worse than most people expected. The reaction to it is enough proof of that. And that's why it's going to matter. It'll amplify an already existing perception.

That was worse than just "poor", to be fair.
Didn't watch the debate, but that's what I am gleaning now.

Infra-red

As someone said earlier, incredible how these two are America’s two choices for President.

It’s cartoon like, almost.
Indeed. The most powerful nation on earth, with the biggest economy and the best universities, has produced these two, really?