2024 U.S. Elections

Godfather

Was this all just a great play from the DNC?

They set this up as Biden's public execution. Nomination is coming up next month so they can easily replace him with Newsom. Give themselves a better chance of beating Trump in November.

Trump should have declined the debate until after the DNC nomination.
No. This was a worst case scenario for the dems. Horrific performance.

Erics_Collar

What actually needs to happen for Biden to be replaced by a new candidate? Does he have to make the call himself? Can someone else force it that way?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What a state that presidential election is

Trump a truly awful despicable human being

And Biden quite clearly not fit for purpose

where are the younger promising politicians in American Politics?? Why is it just these 2 numpties?
The Dems just assumed Kamala Harris would wow the World in the last four years and so that would be a relatively straightforward transition with Biden. Been the complete opposite and she's been an invisible VP.

That said I can't understand the strategy at all of just thinking Biden can cope with another four and a half years if re-elected from this point. He should've always used been seen as a one term "caretaker."

To use a Football example it's exactly like Palace getting Hodgson in to keep them up and then not looking for any alternatives and within a few months of the next season people can see he shouldn't have been re-appointed.

Trump will be elected comfortably in reality.

WPMUFC

What actually needs to happen for Biden to be replaced by a new candidate? Does he have to make the call himself? Can someone else force it that way?
If he dropped out, i'm pretty sure all convention rules are out the window and delegates are free to move around. If it came to a head at the convention, it would require a rule change to allow a free vote.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The Dems just assumed Kamala Harris would wow the World in the last four years and so that would be a relatively straightforward transition with Biden. Been the complete opposite and she's been an invisible VP.

That said I can't understand the strategy at all of just thinking Biden can cope with another four and a half years if re-elected from this point. He should've always used been seen as a one term "caretaker."

To use a Football example it's exactly like Palace getting Hodgson in to keep them up and then not looking for any alternatives and within a few months of the next season people can see he shouldn't have been re-appointed.

Trump will be elected comfortably in reality.
My guess is that the powers that be behind the screen wanted Biden because he's easy to manipulate, I don't even think he read what he sign let alone understand what he actually signs

Real Name

Its hard to hear or understand what's Biden saying most of that debate.

Problem is Trump's lies and not answering any questions got lost in Biden's awful debate and the fact he should be in some park playing chess instead of running for president.
For instance Trump said he'd stop the war in Ukraine but of course he didnt explain how exactly.
Probably by agreeing a 'peace deal' with Putin which would mean Putin keepng occupied territories.

Last edited:

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Democrats are actually one of the most pernicious forces in the USA. To place a bewildered, clearly unwell Biden up against Trump is basically conceeding the Presidency. Almost traitor-esq.

Likewise CNN not fact checking, because a Trump presidency is great for their business.

SirAF

Ageist
I dont think that they would move that much to be honest
Agreed, they shouldn't move a lot. What will move, though, is the narrative - and it remains to see if that will move votes or not on the day...

slyadams

The meds didnt work that time then. It's incredible that even with all the debate drills they would have done leading up to this, no one in Biden's camp had the sense to feign illness and try and indefinitely postpone it.

So he wont step down because he's too stubborn, even if he did he the optics of not endorsing his own VP would be terrible, and probably end up in a party civil war.
Feigning a debilitating long term illness to try to protect his image as being fit and capable would be an interesting strategy.

Save for some truly historic events., this election is over. How the dems got to this point is quite something. You can be pretty sure if the situation were reversed and the GOP had a liability of a sitting president heading into an election something would have been done about it.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Agreed, they shouldn't move a lot. What will move, though, is the narrative - and it remains to see if that will move votes or not on the day...
The narrative wont change that much. just reinforced the idea of senile Joe

Blood Mage

Yeah Dems are just willingly throwing this election away for some reason. The media doesn't care either because more people will watch when they have a Trump presidency to report on.

SirAF

Ageist
The narrative wont change that much. just reinforced the idea of senile Joe
Perhaps, but I get the sense that the tone in the media is changing now? Earlier you could brush it off, but that seems a bit more difficult now. Thank feck we're still four months out.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Perhaps, but I get the sense that the tone in the media is changing now? Earlier you could brush it off, but that seems a bit more difficult now. Thank feck we're still four months out.
Yeah, hence the reinforcement. As you say, the tone will change because this had been painful 90 minutes showing the truth of Biden's state. as you said, impossible to brush it off. They will hammer it hard. Any possibility of Biden to recover in the polls had banished IMO. Things will remain more or less the same, Trump winning

TheLiverBird

What is the better outcome for the American people? And of course the rest of the world?

Biden and his age related issues

or the maniac that is Trump?

I can’t say anything positive about Trump, so I can’t help but lean towards a deteriorating Biden with hopefully a capable team around him over that Loon that is Trump

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
He probably needs to die or at least suffer a serious medical episode. Other than that it's up to him to step aside or the DNC to convene and vote to change their own rules before the convention - thus releasing delegates from their commitment to vote for Biden.

Problem is there's no viable alternative. eDems decided on a coronation rather than a competitive primary. All other potential candidates have consequently either been stifled or directed to prop up the glorified stiff presented to the public last night.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
With any luck Genocide Joe drops dead before November. Both of them would be ideal.
Seeing how he looks like, I am not so sure he took any decision in Israel and maybe the last 2 years. Of course he had been always a zionist, but he is a puppet of the ones that take the decison for him

neverdie

I mean, consider it like this. The establishment, by which I mean wealth concentration, has two options. One says end to tax-breaks for the establishment inasmuch as it has been for a prolonged period. An end to top-down economics (the ones who argue against it, ala Truss in the UK, are kicked out). So the "establishment" itself, and you can read Davos reports regarding equity in capital, understands that its model of extreme austerity and top-down economics does not even work for the richest because it feeds a fire of discontent among not just the poorest but the "middle", too.

Trump will win the election, I think, but the question is economic. What does the Trump administration do differently than the Biden administration? More tax-cuts? That is a stock-market downer (almost paradoxical considering such tax-cuts inflate the market, but not when you have a constant variable which states "top-down economic moves are anti-new-market-modality").

The "deep-state" is just the establishment and that you can easily discern by examining wealth via portfolios and so on. Each, Biden and Trump, is, capitally, a signed up member. What, then, is really on the ballot? It's the least important election in history when it ought to be one of the most important. The nuances of the economic are not even remotely explained.

SirAF

Ageist
What is the better outcome for the American people? And of course the rest of the world?

I can’t say anything positive about Trump, so I can’t help but lean towards a deteriorating Biden with hopefully a capable team around him over that Loon that is Trump
I don't mean to come off harshly, but anyone should be able to see that a Dem POTUS is always better than a Republican - especially after the extreme radicalization of the GOP. It's not even a dilemma, for anyone who is not part of the Far Right.

Biden's old as feck and should ideally stand down, but at least he's got competent and qualified people around him. If Trump gets back in you can be certain that he's going to bring more extreme and less qualified people than he did in his first term. Just look at the some of Trump's former staff, who although politically not aligned with most of us, were competent people that have been heavily critical and been warning against another Trump term.

nimic

something nice
Scout
nimic out of context (but close):

How old are you?
You were so close to not sounding old
Old man yells at old cloud
Oh my, it's decline city over here with the olds.
That's just an old man having a good time, nothing hypernormalisation about it.
The silver lining is that now progressives can agree that this sort of thing is pretty cringey.
Old man thread
Sometimes you're like really old, bro.
That's not a kid :lol:
You are old
The CIA has ruled it a suicide.

gfactor86

Surely the Dems won't just stick here and do nothing. Biden can't go on. Imagine another 4 years what he will be like.

Newsom is the best option. Just get him in and hope for the best. Kamala becomes Gov of Cali

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Debates are never this early, are they?

Maybe team Biden wanted to get it out of the way early, and hope it fades from memory of most people.

Simbo

It's of course Biden for anyone remotely capable of separating fact from fiction. Hop fully voters realise this election is far more about Democrats vs Republicans, less about the individuals in charge and that having someone who stumbles there words a lot as president doesn't actually hurt them in any way.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Ezra Klein published a piece back in February that said the DNC should do an actual vote at the delegates conference in August - let members pick the next candidate. At the time I thought it was wishful thinking, but hopefully last night secured it as the only option.

Literally everyone could have seen this coming, except those that matter. Have to hope Jill does the right thing I guess.

A week is a long time in politics. A few months is plenty to on board a new candidate. Plus it gets rid of the only GOP talking point: Joe is bad.

If it's candidate Whitmer, I think we may finally get over the Hunter laptop, for example.

Anyway, SURELY the DNC will now act. Surely. Right? No one? .

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Outside of a couple of islands of knowledge and reason, this country has been slowly descending into pure madness, these elections being the pinnacle.

In a couple of decades, "Idiocracy" will be a mandatory movie shown in every school.

Last edited:

GiddyUp

It's of course Biden for anyone remotely capable of separating fact from fiction. Hop fully voters realise this election is far more about Democrats vs Republicans, less about the individuals in charge and that having someone who stumbles there words a lot as president doesn't actually hurt them in any way.
Best way to put it.

Simbo

Half way through the whole thing and I need a break, its difficult to watch. Biden stumbling his words every other sentence, but Trump's incoherent ramblings are just painful to listen to.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Kamala was a bad choice for VP. It should have been the person the Dems wanted to run this election. Spent the past 4 years putting them front and centre and looking like a President in waiting. Even if Joe still made the same decision to run, if he needed to be replaced, it's an easy swap out.

Too late to do that now. Short of some charismatic firebrand coming out of nowhere that can form a movement in the next 4 months.
They should've switched to someone like Newsom from the moment it was clear that Biden wasn't all there.

Now no one will believe in the "edited videos" excuse, anymore, even if some were. Biden just NoS'd every single rumor about him being unfit for purpose.

Even if this corpse is by some miracle elected, there's no chance he'll finish even half of his mandate.

Last edited:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I don't mean to come off harshly, but anyone should be able to see that a Dem POTUS is always better than a Republican - especially after the extreme radicalization of the GOP. It's not even a dilemma, for anyone who is not part of the Far Right.

Biden's old as feck and should ideally stand down, but at least he's got competent and qualified people around him. If Trump gets back in you can be certain that he's going to bring more extreme and less qualified people than he did in his first term. Just look at the some of Trump's former staff, who although politically not aligned with most of us, were competent people that have been heavily critical and been warning against another Trump term.
And the SCOTUS will likely see Roberts and/or Thomas step down during a GOP presidency which renders the court further radical and with zero progressive rulings going forward.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
it's west wing level fantasy but i sincerely believes if
1. biden resigns
2. kamala takes over and quickly does something about either ukraine or gaza
then kamala has a very very good shot.

trump is so one-dimensional and dumb. school kids, random people, anyone could take him apart, anyone except that zombie.
Kamala Harris has zero chance and will fade into obscurity forever when this farce is over.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
And the SCOTUS will likely see Roberts and/or Thomas step down during a GOP presidency which renders the court further radical and with zero progressive rulings going forward.
Exactly. This is one of the most important points.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
it's west wing level fantasy but i sincerely believes if
1. biden resigns
2. kamala takes over and quickly does something about either ukraine or gaza
then kamala has a very very good shot.

trump is so one-dimensional and dumb. school kids, random people, anyone could take him apart, anyone except that zombie.
There's a reason Kamala has been basically invisible her entire VP stint. Nobody likes her and she's unelectable.