2024 U.S. Elections

Infra-red

He should read the room and know it’s time to drop out. if he can’t it’s cos he’s senile.
So, in both cases he should drop out.
Old man, you’ve had your time. This is not the moment to be selfish.
Well that's the problem with cognitive decline. It doesn't just impact your ability to speak coherently in debates with convicted felons, but it also degrades your decision-making ability. He's not going to jump, because he doesn't know what's going on. The people close to him need to give him a push. Otherwise, it's President Trump, Project 2025 and the fastroad to fascism.

Eriku

What a disaster.
Why was he so quiet and passive? If he had this supposed "cold", they should have leaked it to the press BEFORE the debate. Now it looks silly.

Also why did they think all these pre-rehearsed lines were a good idea. Give him key talking points and let him speak frankly. With the "folks" and the "listen" and the "Here's the deal"
That’s the biggest load of _______ I ever heard

Number one; it’s way better than banking on him making up sentences on the fly AND recalling the details he’s talking about. Number one.

Number two escapes me at the moment.

Hamnat

Bloomberg has a decent write up to give the reality of how any possible Biden bows out or replacement would work in reality. Knowing the precedents and legality can help cut down some of the hyperbole.

Can Biden be removed from the ticket?
It would be difficult. Biden faced minimal opposition in his party’s primaries and has secured 99% of the pledged delegates to the convention. Those delegates will be chosen in large part for their loyalty to the president. Absent extraordinary circumstances — and a backup plan — it’s unlikely they would remove him from the ticket.

Any challenger to Biden would have to announce his or her candidacy before the formal vote, publicly challenging the incumbent in a high-stakes attempted party coup.
How soon must a decision be made?
Soon.

The Democratic National Committee had already planned to move up Biden’s nomination via a phoned-in roll call ahead of the convention to satisfy an Aug. 7 ballot deadline in Ohio. The Republican-led Ohio legislature has extended that deadline, but the Democratic Chairman Jaime Harrison has said the party will go forward with the early roll call anyway, making the convention — which begins August 19 — a mere formality.
What if Biden steps down after the convention?
The decision to replace him would be made by the members of the DNC. But then the party would face another hurdle: Printed ballots with Biden’s name already on them.

Laws vary by state about how a vote for Biden would be counted if he’s no longer the nominee, but his votes would likely go to his replacement when the Electoral College meets.
The part about the pre printed ballots and the laws varying state by state on changing them. That is key. If you think red states (MAGA GOP) had a field day with their false electors schemes and election fraud nonsense before. There would be so many lawsuits and conspiracies about suddenly being asked to change names. Those states in particular controlled by GOP would do everything and anything they could to not put another name on or reprint. Look at the lengths they go to to try and limit and discourage voting in general.

And most of it would be just to muddy the waters to help trump.

Then the money issue is valid. I personally didn't know that the money Biden raised can really only go to kamala. You cant just give that $212 million the Biden camp has to anyone apparently.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Newsom replacing Biden just sums out how bad US politics has become. Very unpopular in his state but he is seen as the best man for the job because he can deliver a sound bite and looks competent on TV. Maybe it's always been like this pre Obama and I just haven't been paying attention?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Best case scenario would have been seeing two red dots on both their foreheads then the screen turning to black.

There really aren’t many countries out there operating under solid leadership, but these two… it’s almost impossible that it could have gotten this bad.
:lol:

Blood Mage

The Dems just need to start preparing for 2028 at this point because Trump has got this in the bag.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Newsom replacing Biden just sums out how bad US politics has become. Very unpopular in his state but he is seen as the best man for the job because he can deliver a sound bite and looks competent on TV. Maybe it's always been like this pre Obama and I just haven't been paying attention?
This is not true. As someone that lives in California, Newsom is extremely popular in Ca. He is only not popular among some loud MaGa types that hate anything to the left of Trump.

Whitmer might actually be the better option because of the Midwest factor though.

Infra-red

:lol:
Feck you Yanks. You guys deserve this.
Unfortunately, it won't just be the yanks who suffer under Trump's 2nd term. I imagine the only people more horrified than the Dems by Biden's performance will have been Zelensky and his fellow Ukrainians.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
This is not true. As someone that lives in California, Newsom is extremely popular in Ca. He is only not popular among some loud MaGa types that hate anything to the left of Trump.

Whitmer might actually be the better option because of the Midwest factor though.
It's true that he's unpopular, perhaps very unpopular was a bit too far. You are probably just surrounded with people who think like you.

https://www.ppic.org/publication/pp...ifornians-and-their-government-february-2024/

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Are the Dems planning to do a "Weekend at Bernie's" for a whole 4 years? Its either that or they're desperate to lose the election in November.
Hell, Reagan was propped up most of his second term, the country was run by his handlers & Nancy (the last two years of GHWB as well). Wouldn't be anything new in our body politic.

gfactor86

I can't quite believe the Dems have got themselves into this situation. It was clear for most people a year ago that Biden wasn't fit to govern. Then they hung him out to dry on National TV for the World to see his demise.

It is simply NOT an option for him to stand for re-election in any form. Trump would be a far better option than an ailing Biden.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i bet they’re still hosing down the shit and piss from that stage.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The Dems just need to start preparing for 2028 at this point because Trump has got this in the bag.
The election is one that has been in the margins for a while now, most every battleground state is in the margin of error.

Now will the debate debacle be enough to put Trump back in the outright lead, we shall see.

SirAF

Ageist

Good to hear, I was a bit puzzled by that statement and was just about to look up some polls.

SirAF

Ageist
Trump would be a far better option than an ailing Biden.
Again, I'm sorry but you are utterly clueless about US politics if you REALLY believe this. Just a few keywords: abortion, SCOTUS, climate etc. Not to mention, do you think Trump would go quietly in 28?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Again, I'm sorry but you are utterly clueless about US politics if you REALLY believe this. Just a few keywords: abortion, SCOTUS, climate etc. Not to mention, do you think Trump would go quietly in 28?
Don't forget Project 2025.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I can't quite believe the Dems have got themselves into this situation. It was clear for most people a year ago that Biden wasn't fit to govern. Then they hung him out to dry on National TV for the World to see his demise.

It is simply NOT an option for him to stand for re-election in any form. Trump would be a far better option than an ailing Biden.
I can't see how this could possibly age poorly.

SirAF

Ageist
Not the least. Jesus, Biden is horribly old and all that but another Trump term would, imo, finish off the US as we know it. Even if the only thing Biden is capable of is signing his own name his admin would make sure things are ticking along. Compare that to the incompetent extremists Trump would bring with him.

Laurencio

Yeah, it is about time the US went back to being ruled by a mad narcissistic monarch. Make America Great Again. 1770 style.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

How so?

Laurencio

Not the least. Jesus, Biden is horribly old and all that but another Trump term would, imo, finish off the US as we know it. Even if the only thing Biden is capable of is signing his own name his admin would make sure things are ticking along. Compare that to the incompetent extremists Trump would bring with him.
At worst Biden ends up too old and his VP takes over. With Trump the absolute worst is a Christian fascist dictatorship with Trump as monarch.

SirAF

Ageist
At worst Biden ends up too old and his VP takes over. With Trump the absolute worst is a Christian fascist dictatorship with Trump as monarch.
Exactly. One would hope most people, who are not MAGA, understand this.

Infra-red

I'd say thinking that there will even be a 2028 election is optimistic at this point. Trump strikes me as a 'President for life' kinda guy.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
There's a reason Kamala has been basically invisible her entire VP stint. Nobody likes her and she's unelectable.
That's truly a West Wing level fantasy, but I fear we might get Veep instead.
Kamala Harris has zero chance and will fade into obscurity forever when this farce is over.
To be clear, I have zero affinity for her. Clearly a younger competent popular governor who has won actual primaries and elections before (Whitmer, Pritzker, Newsom) would be a better candidate.

But that time was months ago. Right now, if this egomaniac does step down, and his replacement is not his VP, it will be ugly for the party to explain why not, and specifically why they passed over the first black woman president.

About the foriegn policy win she needs - well, from an elections perspective, with Israel the win is to strongarm Bibi by stopping all supplies, or to telling him to finish quickly by nuking Gaza and Beirut. The US public in general doesn't particularly care about Middle Eastern deaths, they want to see an end to the US president looking impotent every week, which is the case now. A visual with Harris standing next to Bibi while with "no Hamas" left, or standing next to Qatar/Egypt while celebrating some odious deal, would be an electoral winner compared to the status quo.

Anyway, just saw that Biden and his inner circle are determined to lose, and have a second debate for our collective entertainment. Not a surprise from the egomaniac!

SirAF

Ageist
I'd say thinking that there will even be a 2028 election is optimistic at this point. Trump strikes me as a 'President for life' kinda guy.
He was "robbed" one election, you know. He'll say he should get a third term.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Anyway, just saw that Biden and his inner circle are determined to lose, and have a second debate for our collective entertainment. Not a surprise from the egomaniac!
In some ways that's the rational choice. Staying in is rational if the party believes they're going to lose anyway (blame it on Biden, don't tarnish any potential future candidates), and the second debate is rational because at worst it's going to be another disaster, while at best he's going to do better and change the narrative a little bit. Actually, Trump should probably refuse a second debate for that exact reason, but he probably won't.