2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Firstly it is a simplification to say that Harris agrees with Trump on immigration. There are significant differences when it comes to scooe of deportations, scope of raids, denying suspected illegal immigrants due process, use of the military, limiting birthright citizenship, a new muslim ban, an ideological ban on people with "marxist and communist views", legal protections for ICE agents' untethered use of violence and the rhetoric used both in policy proposals and discussions.

They agree on there being a need for tougher border restrictions and a more comprehensive enforcement system, but they largely disagree on how to go about that.

Secondly, there is nothing fascist about limiting asylum rights, increasing detention capacity or increasing funding for enforcement agencies. I might not agree with it, and it might be overly Conservative- but it isn't fascist.

Lastly the whole Führerprinzip isn't there with the Democrats, nor is the ideological screening element that would classify as fascist.

The border stuff is what got him called a fascist, and the Democrats are now running on a platform to the right of this fascism. With support and excuses from the very same liberals who sounded the alarm, both in the US and on here. No more photoshoots and outcry at the cages, now it's all fine.

While the extreme attacks on asylum rights might not be technically fascist, neither are most of the things that get Trump called one. They're things fascists would happily do, along with many others.

Things that liberals considered fascist 4 and 8 years ago are now no longer so, because they want to do it themselves. Now it's the new things their opponents want that is fascist, and that will again change the next election when liberals will want to do some of those things. That's why the accusations will ring hollow for many, irrespective of the accuracy.

If Trump wins - and wins like the polls suggest, hugely - no Democratic candidate could have beaten him. That's result of the media ecosystem above all things.

I'm not sure this is entirely correct. MI, PA and WI are all classified as "even" and are within the margin of error.

Kamala can be pretty rough on script, routinely robotic and has a handful of unlikeable personality traits, but she is definitely better than Hillary. When she was first out there appearing with Walz - and if you pretended that the democratic primaries never happened - it definitely looked like she could be a fresh, youthful face of something positive, and she would match up well against Trump. They had momentum and public grace.

But the way the Democratic Party went on to package her is really fecking atrocious. Things like the lethal military shit, the courting of the most demonic republicans, the sniping at Lina Khan from Democratic party donors with no push back, the border stance. It all just makes Kamala appear really unpleasant and disgusting to be associated with, and a team you don't want to support. This is before you even dive into any specific controversial policy positions. There is a distinct lack of optimism and decency from the campaign, and the voters that do want that stuff are already buying it from Trump.

“To me, the most beautiful word – and I’ve said this for the last couple of weeks – in the dictionary today and any is the word tariff,” said Trump. “It’s more beautiful than love, it’s more beautiful than anything. It’s the most beautiful word.”

“This country can become rich with the use, the proper use of tariffs,” he added.

Rogan asked him if it’s true he recently “floated out the idea of getting rid of income taxes and replacing it with tariffs,” saying, “Were you serious about that?”

“Yeah, sure. Why not?” Trump replied, going on to talk about how 25th President of the United States William McKinley had used them effectively.

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/its-...ix-everything-and-replace-income-tax-why-not/

I had never heard this part of this tariff mania. Holy feck. Not only is this essentially the "flat tax by stealth" shit they've tried for decades, but tax revenue would plummet to the point of triggering a GFC in a day. Like even putting the bill into the congress would send markets bonkers. Would be a world-wide liz truss moment.

Things that liberals considered fascist 4 and 8 years ago are now no longer so, because they want to do it themselves. Now it's the new things their opponents want that is fascist, and that will again change the next election when liberals will want to do some of those things. That's why the accusations will ring hollow for many, irrespective of the accuracy.
I think people might be forgetting how wacky things got.

d7S0T7I.jpeg

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/its-...ix-everything-and-replace-income-tax-why-not/

I had never heard this part of this tariff mania. Holy feck. Not only is this essentially the "flat tax by stealth" shit they've tried for decades, but tax revenue would plummet to the point of triggering a GFC in a day. Like even putting the bill into the congress would send markets bonkers. Would be a world-wide liz truss moment.
It’s really something you can buy into only if you do not understand basic concepts of economy, which I bet nearly all his cultists do not. It caters to their most basic perception of reality in which everything foreign = bad.

The border stuff is what got him called a fascist, and the Democrats are now running on a platform to the right of this fascism. With support and excuses from the very same liberals who sounded the alarm, both in the US and on here. No more photoshoots and outcry at the cages, now it's all fine.

While the extreme attacks on asylum rights might not be technically fascist, neither are most of the things that get Trump called one. They're things fascists would happily do, along with many others.

I personally never shared the view that Trump's border policies in themselves made him a fascist, and yes the term was bandied around as a catch all far too much. I agree with that. I think the border stuff was cruel, shameful and an affront to US immigration history - but it wasn't fascist. Most of it was standard Republican policies, maybe a bit more right of traditional Republicans. Trump has evolved into a fascist, but he mostly started out as a eight wing populist.

What makes him fascist, or at least proto-fascist, is his rhetoric towards immigrants, his penchance towards violence and the glorification of it, his blatant disregard for checks and balances, his demonisation of opponents and the media, and his authoritarian tendencies.

I don't think Trump understands how tariffs work.

Listening to a bit of a Harris rally she held in Texas. On the abortion issue, she is really quite good. Women and young voter turn-out is her chance it seems.

I don't get why she's in Texas, which isn't winnable for her, instead of somewhere like Nevada which is still winnable but slipping away from her.

Aren't Evangelical Christians great craic altogether though!
They spent decades of not centuries warning about the coming of The Antichrist and when he comes along they buy Bibles from him!
You could not invent it.

I don't get why she's in Texas, which isn't winnable for her, instead of somewhere like Nevada which is still winnable but slipping away from her.
Texas is ground zero for draconian abortion state law in the US, it's chosen specifically to highlight that.

And Allred.

And if Trump can do a mastubatory rally in NYC, her going to Houston, an actual area where Democratic support is growing, is at worst a wash.

And let's just stop with the 'NV is slipping away' thing, you don't know that, I don't know that, even Ralston is basically 'I don't know how independents will break'. Cortez Masto got the lowest 'firewall' in Clark in 2022 (about 28k) and she won, Republicans already stopped gainning in Clark yesterday, after mail+EIP Dems netted 800 votes, excluding Independents. They went from R+21 in EIP to R+9 in 1 day, they've shot their wad.

It's truly hilarious to me that people are focusing on the opponent when explaining why Trump is going to win. America is fecked.

Kamala can be pretty rough on script, routinely robotic and has a handful of unlikeable personality traits, but she is definitely better than Hillary. When she was first out there appearing with Walz - and if you pretended that the democratic primaries never happened - it definitely looked like she could be a fresh, youthful face of something positive, and she would match up well against Trump. They had momentum and public grace.

But the way the Democratic Party went on to package her is really fecking atrocious. Things like the lethal military shit, the courting of the most demonic republicans, the sniping at Lina Khan from Democratic party donors with no push back, the border stance. It all just makes Kamala appear really unpleasant and disgusting to be associated with, and a team you don't want to support. This is before you even dive into any specific controversial policy positions. There is a distinct lack of optimism and decency from the campaign, and the voters that do want that stuff are already buying it from Trump.

This criticism of her is so over the top....

"unpleasant and disgusting to be associated with"

How can you begin to come to this conclusion? What is disgusting about her, or her policies?

Im not even going to bring up Trump because the things he is threatening and saying truly are disgusting.

Texas is ground zero for draconian abortion state law in the US, it's chosen specifically to highlight that.

And Allred.

And if Trump can do a mastubatory rally in NYC, her going to Houston, an actual area where Democratic support is growing, is at worst a wash.

Plus the hometown of Beyonce.

If in a parallel universe Beyonce was willing to stump for Trump, then he would fly to the end of the earth to appear with her.

This criticism of her is so over the top....

"unpleasant and disgusting to be associated with"

How can you begin to come to this conclusion? What is disgusting about her, or her policies?

Im not even going to bring up Trump because the things he is threatening and saying truly are disgusting.

You're literally being told in the comment you're replying to.

k3yqM3t.jpg

For anyone still doubting Trump and his campaigns fascist credentials, ask yourself why Mike Lindell and his pillow brand happens to round his prices of with an 88 rather than the usual .99. Or why his special offer happens to be $14.88 ?

Rzb8vq3.jpg

They wave it in your face and some of you still don't want to take it seriously!!!

• Allred is growing increasingly in popularity against Cruz - ups attention on that and could have an up-ticket/down-ticket effect
  • Beyoncé, and the national attention that comes with it
  • “Here I am in your back yard with all this attention and positivity” type move
  • Texas is growing increasingly purple and will be in play in future elections
  • Contrasting what’s on offer compared to Republican controlled areas

If she was spending a long campaigning in Texas I’d really question it. But it’s a one date event so it’s fine.

Battleground states are important, but increasingly only campaigning in and focusing on them rubs people up the wrong way.

Aren't Evangelical Christians great craic altogether though!
They spent decades of not centuries warning about the coming of The Antichrist and when he comes along they buy Bibles from him!
You could not invent it.
Indeed not... but to me (and from a distance) there is a touch of the "Uncle Buck" (John Candy film 1990) character about Trump, he's reckless, crude, crass, etc.... but he's family (at least to many republicans).

However, maybe his 'smarts' allow him to hide his AC credentials... except of course to true believers!;)

• Allred is growing increasingly in popularity against Cruz - ups attention on that and could have an up-ticket/down-ticket effect
  • Beyoncé, and the national attention that comes with it
  • “Here I am in your back yard with all this attention and positivity” type move
  • Texas is growing increasingly purple and will be in play in future elections
  • Contrasting what’s on offer compared to Republican controlled areas

If she was spending a long campaigning in Texas I’d really question it. But it’s a one date event so it’s fine.

Battleground states are important, but increasingly only campaigning in and focusing on them rubs people up the wrong way.

National attention also helps to bring the money in. Millions of people watched the event.

Was looking for specifics, which were not listed.

Kamala has never made any comments re Lina Khan on the campaign.
The border policy is not hers
Nor is "lethal military shit".
And there are plenty more demonic Republicans than Liz Chaney.

Those are specifics.

This is as much of a DNC campaign as it's possible to get. Both because she's the current VP representing the current administration, and because of the way she was placed as the leader. She is enacting Biden's and the current Democratic party's border policy, and has not said anything about wanting to reverse course (the opposite, if anything).

Regarding Khan, the comment you're replying to clearly stated that it came from party donors, not Harris, and that the issue is no pushback from the campaign. The timing of you discounting that because it wasn't Harris who said anything is beautiful, because just two minutes before you attempted to use pillow guy's Walmart type pricing as proof of Trump's campaign being fascist. If it's not clear, Liddell and Trump are different people.

I'd say that, if someone who is as politically opposite to the Dems as Dick, is willing to come out for Harris, it proves how dangerous Trump is.
It can also show that these people believe in nothing.

Former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales Will Support Kamala Harris
He views Trump’s reelection as a threat to the rule of law.
Gonzales's tenure as U.S. Attorney General was marked by controversy regarding warrantless surveillance of U.S. citizens and the legal authorization of "enhanced interrogation techniques", later generally acknowledged as constituting torture, in the U.S. government's post-9/11 "War on Terror". Gonzales had also presided over the firings of several U.S. Attorneys who had refused back-channel White House directives to prosecute political enemies, allegedly causing the office of Attorney General to become improperly politicized. Following calls for his removal, Gonzales resigned from the office "in the best interests of the department", on August 27, 2007, effective September 17, 2007.

k3yqM3t.jpg

For anyone still doubting Trump and his campaigns fascist credentials, ask yourself why Mike Lindell and his pillow brand happens to round his prices of with an 88 rather than the usual .99. Or why his special offer happens to be $14.88 ?

Rzb8vq3.jpg

They wave it in your face and some of you still don't want to take it seriously!!!

Yikes

The issue is the endorsement of Dick Cheney.

Did she canvas for endorsement? No. Is he on the campaign trail with her? No. Is he in her ads? No.

He is free to endorse who he wants.

The media have made a big deal of it, not her. If she has talked about his endorsement it is to illustrate the point that even some of the most die hard traditional Republicans know that Trump is a danger to the nation - even though an argument can be made that Dick Cheney caused far more damage that Trump did. Regardless - it is not for her to litigate the Bush era. She is only interested in the hear and now.

Like it or not, many Republicans still like and respect Dick Cheney and that era of politics. So do you expect her to disavow and reject his endorsement at a time when the difference in the campaign?

Did she canvas for endorsement? No. Is he on the campaign trail with her? No. Is he in her ads? No.
Perhaps not, but Harris and her surrogates are openly using the Dick Cheney endorsement as a way to reach across the aisle.

Edit: There is actually something hilarious about using the slogan "We're not going back" while singing the praises of Dick Cheney :lol:

Those are specifics.

This is as much of a DNC campaign as it's possible to get. Both because she's the current VP representing the current administration, and because of the way she was placed as the leader. She is enacting Biden's and the current Democratic party's border policy, and has not said anything about wanting to reverse course (the opposite, if anything).

Regarding Khan, the comment you're replying to clearly stated that it came from party donors, not Harris, and that the issue is no pushback from the campaign. The timing of you discounting that because it wasn't Harris who said anything is beautiful, because just two minutes before you attempted to use pillow guy's Walmart type pricing as proof of Trump's campaign being fascist. If it's not clear, Liddell and Trump are different people.

I agree she has not done a great job in separating herself from Biden.

Is that because she believes that everything Biden has done she would do the same? Likely not. It is because she will have "political gurus" advising her that splitting from Biden opens up a pandoras box of potential issues in a campaign.

If she says Biden should have dealt with the border in a different way then that will get seized on by all sides. What she can do instead, and what she is doing, is saying she will sign the bipartisan border bill that Trump prevented being passed through the Senate. That shows a plan going forward and highlights the fact that Trump would have rather run on the issue than see Biden get a "win".

Like it or not, US Politicians don't admit fault, even though we the people would appreciate it if they did. In this case, that includes her throwing Biden under the bus.

Party donors attacking Khan, im not that up on those stories. Why should the campaign push back? Are donors not allowed to criticise Khan?

Lindell putting Nazi code on his adverts and running them when Trump is speaking. Quite an easy push back.

Perhaps not, but Harris and her surrogates are openly using the Dick Cheney endorsement as a way to reach across the aisle.

Edit: There is actually something hilarious about using the slogan "We're not going back" while singing the praises of Dick Cheney :lol:

As i said before, they are using his ensorstent to illustrate the fact that even the most diehard Republicans are rejecting Trump. It is the permission slip for suburban Republicans to do the same

You and others are acting like Dick Cheney is the centerpiece of the Harris campaign, she will be adopting his foreign policies stances and he will be her Secretary of Defence.

I agree she has not done a great job in separating herself from Biden.

Is that because she believes that everything Biden has done she would do the same? Likely not. It is because she will have "political gurus" advising her that splitting from Biden opens up a pandoras box of potential issues in a campaign.

If she says Biden should have dealt with the border in a different way then that will get seized on by all sides. What she can do instead, and what she is doing, is saying she will sign the bipartisan border bill that Trump prevented being passed through the Senate. That shows a plan going forward and highlights the fact that Trump would have rather run on the issue than see Biden get a "win".

Like it or not, US Politicians don't admit fault, even though we the people would appreciate it if they did. In this case, that includes her throwing Biden under the bus.

Party donors attacking Khan, im not that up on those stories. Why should the campaign push back? Are donors not allowed to criticise Khan?

Lindell putting Nazi code on his adverts and running them when Trump is speaking. Quite an easy push back.

Of course you're not going to agree with any of the criticism, I'm pointing out that you got specifics and it was very clear what was meant, so this whole routine of feigning inquisitiveness is strange. You're defending Harris, not actually asking questions. That's fine.

I think abortion and female voters are going to be decisive for Harris. Feels like the Republicans are underestimating it.

I can't believe trump is even within a good shout of winning the election, this is the guy who only recently at a rally was rambling on about how impressive the size of another man's penis was to his cult audience.

It goes to show the scary influence the 1% billionaires have on America and the world because without their back, trump would not be this close and he is just their pawn to get what they want in the world, they are the real dark forces in the world controlling things

What are these Fascist Liberal Policies you speak of?

Please point to them in either one of Harris' speeches or on her policy page?

As i said before, they are using his ensorstent to illustrate the fact that even the most diehard Republicans are rejecting Trump. It is the permission slip for suburban Republicans to do the same

You and others are acting like Dick Cheney is the centerpiece of the Harris campaign, she will be adopting his foreign policies stances and he will be her Secretary of Defence.
I'm absolutely not. But actively using his endorsement is a choice that I think can be criticized. Or are we not allowed to criticize her at all?

What are these Fascist Liberal Policies you speak of?

Please point to them in either one of Harris' speeches or on her policy page?

I didn't call anything fascist in that comment. My impression is that you could benefit from increasing the reading:commenting ratio, you're quite quick on the trigger.