2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Quite the groundswell on Twitter that Harris is / needs to drop Walz due to stolen valor.

Still flailing about.

This is honestly such a dumb line of attack.

In 2004 Swift Boat worked because a) Kerry is the main candidate and b) it undercuts his biggest sell which he leaned on, that is his combat experience made him the better man to run the war in Iraq.

Walz is a VP candidate, foreign policy isn’t the top issue voters care about (of which, ironically, the economy and immigration are consistently categories that Trump lead and he’s much better off sticking to them). They just can’t help themselves when there’s character assasination to be had.

For the debate on ABC they should put in a ramp to the podiums (without handrails) that both candidates need to walk up (and down afterwards) on and film Trump trying to navigate it.

Eh?

I can’t figure this one out. Is he trying to say she changed her name to Harris? Or that she has another last name after Harris?
The obvious implication is ‘you wouldn’t think a mixed race woman like her would have an English sounding last name’.

Just assume the worst for the Donald and you’d rarely miss.

Harris is actually the betting favourite right now. Pretty remarkable movement in a short space of time

Seems the line on immigration is that we need comprehensive reform - like the reforms Trump blocked because he only cares about himself. That's a good message imo, if you can land it.

On Gaza its a bit hollow to say you're woeking 24/7 on a solution while in a rally in Arizona, but I also don't know how much agency they actually have.

Harris is actually the betting favourite right now. Pretty remarkable movement in a short space of time
I can’t see this trending in any other way than further towards Harris. Realistically what tools does Trump have to regain momentum? He can only spew the same hatred and cliches that he always does. And he is now the fat old fart in the race. If he wins the electorate is completely fecked.

Maybe some unforeseen scandal or feck up can derail Harris, but she has built a great platform in only a few weeks.

Seems the line on immigration is that we need comprehensive reform - like the reforms Trump blocked because he only cares about himself. That's a good message imo, if you can land it.

On Gaza its a bit hollow to say you're woeking 24/7 on a solution while in a rally in Arizona, but I also don't know how much agency they actually have.
Bar a very fringe group of activists who may or may not make good on their threat to cause a commotion in Chicago, Harris is pretty secured on Gaza. Most of the Genocide Joe crowd on social media/twitch/YouTube etc have largely gotten in line and satisfied themselves with the cope that she will be better than Biden on this since she’s not calling the shot now.

Not picking Shapiro helped, a lot.

I can’t see this trending in any other way than further towards Harris. Realistically what tools does Trump have to regain momentum? He can only spew the same hatred and cliches that he always does. And he is now the fat old fart in the race. If he wins the electorate is completely fecked.

Maybe some unforeseen scandal or feck up can derail Harris, but she has built a great platform in only a few weeks.
One of the campaign's more savvy moves was keeping much of the key Biden campaign staff in place (& bringing some Obama staff in as consultants) so she could hit the ground running & not needing to ramp up much at all. I recall some on here deriding that fact but it basically made the switch but that decision made have won her & Walz the White House.

:lol:As long as she didn't end up being a Covid denier or something.
Maybe it's a slightly less extreme US version of David Icke.

Lucy Lawless is a legend and she has called out Snorbo multiple times for being a moron.

Let’s hope so (though I felt myself relating to the fat old fart bit)

Lucy Lawless is a legend and she has called out Snorbo multiple times for being a moron.
The funniest thing about this is she remained silent out of professional courtesy about him for years, it’s only when he started dissing her in interviews saying she slept her ways to roles that she clapped back, and now we get frequent gems like this

The funniest thing about this is she remained silent out of professional courtesy about him for years, it’s only when he started dissing her in interviews saying she slept her ways to roles that she clapped back, and now we get frequent gems like this

Haha, she constantly owns him. Lucy is the best.

ps: IEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEEEEEE

Eh?

I can’t figure this one out. Is he trying to say she changed her name to Harris? Or that she has another last name after Harris?
Is he complaining that's he's known as 'Kamala' to most people and they don't know her last name? But based on the last line ('I don't know, hoe the hell did this happen'), he might also just be disappointed that it's not an non-Eutopean last name that he could say racist things about.

But mostly he again seems disappointed she isn't even Kamala Biden. :lol:

historically, how accurate are polls this long before an election?

They’re fairly accurate but they can’t really predict whether people polled are actually going to bother to vote. The best we can do is use likely voter (LV) polls such as the one above. Harris looks in good shape for the time being, but that could quickly change now that the momentary euphoria of her coronation is slowly dissipating.

They’re fairly accurate but they can’t really predict whether people polled are actually going to bother to vote. The best we can do is use likely voter (LV) polls such as the one above. Harris looks in good shape for the time being, but that could quickly change now that the momentary euphoria of her coronation is slowly dissipating.

"I hate to break it to you, and a lot of folks, but it’s still too early to be paying attention to polling! For your own sanity, I recommend you stop paying attention to polls until after Labor Day...

"In six of the past 11 elections, early summer polling either got the ultimate winner “wrong”, though I’m not a huge fan of that language as opinion likely genuinely shifted, or showed a tie. Basically, early polling is about as accurate as a weather forecast from a groundhog when it comes to reflecting the winner. By September, this number drops to four out of 11. Once we reach October, only three out of 11 polls either got the winner “wrong” or showed a tie."

https://www.nprillinois.org/communi...out-as-useful-as-a-groundhog-with-the-weather

"I hate to break it to you, and a lot of folks, but it’s still too early to be paying attention to polling! For your own sanity, I recommend you stop paying attention to polls until after Labor Day...

"In six of the past 11 elections, early summer polling either got the ultimate winner “wrong”, though I’m not a huge fan of that language as opinion likely genuinely shifted, or showed a tie. Basically, early polling is about as accurate as a weather forecast from a groundhog when it comes to reflecting the winner. By September, this number drops to four out of 11. Once we reach October, only three out of 11 polls either got the winner “wrong” or showed a tie."

https://www.nprillinois.org/communi...out-as-useful-as-a-groundhog-with-the-weather

This election is an outlier though. Normally they are multi-year marathons. This year, it’s an 8 week sprint, so past precedent isn’t likely to be useful given that a new candidate has been introduced with only weeks to go before early voting starts. It’s also hard to make the case that voters aren’t yet switched on given how Harris has completely changed the race from Biden looking sure to lose, to the Dems now being slightly ahead in most credible polls.

This election is an outlier though. Normally they are multi-year marathons. This year, it’s an 8 week sprint, so past precedent isn’t likely to be useful given that a new candidate has been introduced with only weeks to go before early voting starts. It’s also hard to make the case that voters aren’t yet switched on given how Harris has completely changed the race from Biden looking sure to lose, to the Dems now being slightly ahead in most credible polls.

All the more reason to not take polls too seriously at this stage. Everyone, including most here, thought the election was over after the assassination attempt. Then Biden drops out and everything changes. There will at least be a few more shifts/surprises before November so I think the point is even more true this year, polls right now don't mean much to who will win in November especially because it still comes down to smallest margins of turnout in a handful of midwestern swing states..

All the more reason to not take polls too seriously at this stage. Everyone, including most here, thought the election was over after the assassination attempt. Then Biden drops out and everything changes. There will at least be a few more shifts/surprises before November so I think the point is even more true this year, polls right now don't mean much to who will win in November especially because it still comes down to smallest margins of turnout in a handful of midwestern swing states..
It is possible that things change from now until election day, but that does not mean polling shouldn't be taken too seriously.

The polling has been remarkably clear on this matter. The American voter felt that Biden was too old to be president again, and said so in poll after poll after poll. He has now been replaced with someone who isn't old, and that person is polling much better than Biden. Clearly there was some important percentage of voters who were serious about not voting for the old guy.