2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

the fact that during the last 8-9 years he’s put Florida and Ohio out of reach and made WI/MI/PA super competitive at presidential level is beyond what the milquetoast traditional Republicans managed.
Iowa also shifted to the right quite a bit.

The flip side, though, is that now AZ and GA are competitive, while CO and NH are out of reach for Republicans. In addition, Texas went to Romney by roughly 16 points. In 2020, it was 5.5 for Trump. And no, it’s not because of internal migration. This change reflects changes among white voters in the suburbs, such as the suburbs of Dallas and Houston.

Trump added to the GOP but also took from the GOP. It’s unclear yet what would be the total, and this will be determined not just this year.

It wasn’t though? It’s on his X.
Your first instinct was that it was made up, and then it was Trump - the bloke who wouldn't know the truth if it was stapleed to his forehead!

Walz is the type of guy who is always called 'Coach' by his former players until he passes away. I'm lucky to have a few coaches from all the sports i played in high school still in my life whom I still refer to as 'Coach.' Wouldn't think about calling them anything else. The bond between coaches & players, especially in American football here in the states, is unyielding no matter how old either side is.

Looking forward to seeing his former players interviewed, especially the ones on both the 0-27 teams & the high school champions.

Great VP pick, the only issue is that it could be argued he is already outshining and upstaging Harris but I guess it would have been worse with Shapiro.

Great VP pick, the only issue is that it could be argued he is already outshining and upstaging Harris but I guess it would have been worse with Shapiro.

Most VP pics other than potentially Kelly would be outshining her. The trick for Dems will be how to get Harris to do a few interviews without her saying something stupid that Trump and his goons can exploit on Twitter.

So, couple of possible attack lines on Walz:

1. The Minneapolis riots
2. Classic swift-boating of his service record.

Not sure either will be super effective. "Tampon Tim" is actually a good thing.

He's a great orator and knows how to get the crowd going.

He'll wipe the floor with Vance if the debate actualy happens.
Unfortunately debates can often be won by repeating as many lies as you can as forcefully as possible, so Vance would still have a pretty good shot.

It's so depressing that it basically amounts to 'how much can we smear this man regardless of whether it's true or not".

So, couple of possible attack lines on Walz:

1. The Minneapolis riots
2. Classic swift-boating of his service record.

Not sure either will be super effective. "Tampon Tim" is actually a good thing.

Vance's speech in MI today seemed to use the "Harris is a chameleon" line that talks about how she changes her ethnicity depending on what the audience is. This is a frankly bizarre attack for someone like Vance, who was once famously anti-Trump and called him Hitler, to be using.

Vance's speech in MI today seemed to use the "Harris is a chameleon" line that talks about how she changes her ethnicity depending on what the audience is. This is a frankly bizarre attack for someone like Vance, who was once famously anti-Trump and called him Hitler, to be using.
And he wears more eye liner than Robert Smith.

Do you think that is a sufficiently big issue to cause an undecided voter to vote Republican?

Agree there is a clear distinction in their communication abilities but if anything, rather vote for the party with the charismatic VP than without one.

Do you think that is a sufficiently big issue to cause an undecided voter to vote Republican?

Agree there is a clear distinction in their communication abilities but if anything, rather vote for the party with the charismatic VP than without one.
The VP pick creates buzz for a few days, and then he fades into the background. Unless something really negative happens with Walz, the focus will be on Harris and her convention speech real soon.

Next time he will truly be in the spotlight is if any VP debates happen.

Happy birthday tomorrow!

You should treat yourself & your better half to a dinner at the Fearrington House as a celebration. Once I get settled at my new place, eating there is on my list of things to do.

Wait, did you move to the Triangle too? :o

Clearly we should start an official fan club to make getting tickets easier. :lol:

Moving to about an hour west of Asheville.

Ah, nice! Might be going to Asheville next week to see Jason Isbell (had tickets for his Durham show, but I’ll be in the UK then). Used to go out to Cherokee/Nantahala as a kid.

Magnolia Grill is somewhere I wanted to go as a college student, but Duke was expensive enough. The Barkers’ son has a good pizza place in Carrboro.

Ah, nice! Might be going to Asheville next week to see Jason Isbell. Used to go out to Cherokee/Nantahala as a kid.

Magnolia Grill is somewhere I wanted to go as a college student, but Duke was expensive enough. The Barkers’ son has a good pizza place in Carrboro.
Just read that Karen Barker died a few years ago of cancer. Her desserts would often outshine Ken's savory dishes.

Just read that Karen Barker died a few years ago of cancer. Her desserts would often outshine Ken's savory dishes.
I’ve met one of the other pastry chefs who worked there (Phoebe Lawless) when she came to talk to my food writing class. :lol: She had a very good bakery for a few years.

Looks "ok", but i don't know how comforting it is, to have Harris surging nationally in the US, but only making marginal gains in the rustbelt though.

Well, it tracks with previous elections, dems needs a big margin nationally, in order to win the EC.

Worth remembering that Harris has only been the nominee for a couple of weeks, and that she only just selected the VP. The actual campaigning is only just really beginning.

Looks "ok", but i don't know how comforting it is, to have Harris surging nationally in the US, but only making marginal gains in the rustbelt though.

Well, it tracks with previous elections, dems needs a big margin nationally, in order to win the EC.

Im not sure they they even do national polls. People that live in the other 42 states that are not up for grabs, are basically irrelevant in the general.

Buit you are right. The Harris surge nationally could be coming from turning our more young people in the already blue states, or the red states that are not in play.

Im not sure they they even do national polls. People that live in the other 42 states that are not up for grabs, are basically irrelevant in the general.

Buit you are right. The Harris surge nationally could be coming from turning our more young people in the already blue states, or the red states that are not in play.

For what it is worth, its a top rated pollster.

Beyond the fact that the highest quality wine is usually red, drinking rose is comparable to a red headed dude characterizing his hair color as strawberry blonde. It just sits oddly.
Crikey

I don't see it. Hilary came close because she was running against Trump. Any other generic republican would have won more comfortably, imo. Same here with Harris, she might get close because she is running against Trump. However, she would lose by healthy margin against any other republican.
This is based on nothing. There is no magical generic Republican because any republican vying for national office has to tack hard into the crazy wind of MAGA and QAnon and PizzaGate. Without Comey’s report, or a number of other dovetailing events, Hillary would have been President.
I don't disagree that Harris would lose to someone like Nikki Haley, but in terms of winning against Trump, I think she has a 50/50 chance because the Dems seem pretty galvanized against preventing another four years of Trump. If Biden announced last year he wasn't running, it’s doubtful Harris would've won the nomination against the likes of Newsom, Shapiro, or Whitmer imo. Fortunately for her, Biden selected her as VP, which made her the defacto default replacement for him if he couldn't continue.
I disagree. Haley is disliked even within her own party and has zero crossover appeal. Getting her tied up in knots over championing a racist party when she can’t even use her real name would have been child’s play. I agree that Newsom, Shapiro, and Whitmer would be good candidates though, but I think this particular matchup (prosecutor vs felon, middle aged woman vs old man, etc.) is stronger than people are giving credit for.
A lot more independents, and even a minority of Dems, won't be averse to voting for a republican candidate if it wasn't Trump.
This is 100% false. Show me even one poll anywhere that supports this contention. The last time a Democrat crossed party lines in any number was Reagan 1980. You can have Republican governors in places like CA (Pete Wilson - 1991, Schwarzenegger - 2003), but that does not translate to the national stage, and absolutely does not describe Democrats in the post-Trump reality.
Walz is the type of guy who is always called 'Coach' by his former players until he passes away. I'm lucky to have a few coaches from all the sports i played in high school still in my life whom I still refer to as 'Coach.' Wouldn't think about calling them anything else. The bond between coaches & players, especially in American football here in the states, is unyielding no matter how old either side is.

Looking forward to seeing his former players interviewed, especially the ones on both the 0-27 teams & the high school champions.
A very good point. Walz is beloved. Trump has ass-lickers and toadies around him, completely different vibe.

I disagree. Haley is disliked even within her own party and has zero crossover appeal. Getting her tied up in knots over championing a racist party when she can’t even use her real name would have been child’s play. I agree that Newsom, Shapiro, and Whitmer would be good candidates though, but I think this particular matchup (prosecutor vs felon, middle aged woman vs old man, etc.) is stronger than people are giving credit for.

You don't need crossover appeal to win - galvanizing the base and getting a good share of independents is enough. If Trump isn't running, the next most popular R is Haley, which was born out in the primaries this year. She actually continued accruing support by getting 20% in various states months after she dropped out. So there is significant energy behind her.

You don't need crossover appeal to win - galvanizing the base and getting a good share of independents is enough. If Trump isn't running, the next most popular R is Haley, which was born out in the primaries this year. She actually continued accruing support by getting 20% in various states months after she dropped out. So there is significant energy behind her.
Yes, you do, if the swing states are any indication (and they are).

A cringeworthy publicity stunt by Vance, who walks up to Harris' VP plane to say it will be his soon.

Maybe I'm delusional, but I increasingly think the Walz pick is great. His down-to-earth, Good Ol' Boy, common sense type persona is great when Harris can sometimes be a bit stiff and a bit more 'polished' for lack of a better word. And it's clear they don't have much to attack him on, and the good vibes continue.