2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

The fact that a joke of a candidate like Vance can just stroll to victory in Ohio these days says, says a lot about how far gone the state is.

I don't give Sherrod Brown a high chance of winning.

Can anybody more clued-up on US politics shed some light on how big an issue the Mark Kelly PRO Act situation actually is?

From what I'd read, it seemed like he only had an issue with specific parts of the legislation, but supported the overall aim and told unions he would still vote for it (just not cosponsor the bill).

Wouldn't that Reform result be at least as bad in the US? The problem was single-rep districts plus winner takes all, which is exactly what the US has for the House. As for France, you can also easily see the party with the most votes getting fewer seats in the House. Not the third most, but that's because there can realistically only be two parties.
My point is that this idea of votes not being entirely representative is hardly unique for the US, but people focus so much on ‘how stupid the US is’ where a party can get more votes but still do not get presidency/senate/house/whatever, where it is very similar in many other European countries.

For what is worth, despite the possibility of it happening, it rarely happens in the House for the party with most votes to actually win fewer seats. And even when it happens, it is not as severe as for example Labour getting 70% of MPs with fewer than 40% of the votes.

My point is that this idea of votes not being entirely representative is hardly unique for the US, but people focus so much on ‘how stupid the US is’ where a party can get more votes but still do not get presidency/senate/house/whatever, where it is very similar in many other European countries.

For what is worth, despite the possibility of it happening, I do not think that it happens in the House for the party with most votes to actually win fewer seats.

Berbatrick literally just provided the 2012 example of exactly this happening.

Berbatrick literally just provided the 2012 example of exactly this happening.
Immediately corrected it, it has basically happened once in forever. And even then, we are talking a shift of a few percentage points, not 30 something percent that happened in the UK.

Interesting. Which Dems do you yourself find to have grating personalities? I'm curious if we just disagree on my man here or if there's a broader difference at play.

I can't really, at the moment, think of any high profile Democrat that irks me a whole lot. Manchin, for obvious reasons, I guess I could say. Maybe Fetterman annoys me a bit too with the whole "look at me I'm wearing a hoodie" persona.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm not familiar with every congressperson etc. Buttigieg is someone who has gotten a lot of attention outside of the US as well, hence my familiarity.

In Buttigieg I see someone who is very intelligent, articulate and engaging. Just very likeable to me.

Immediately corrected it, it has basically happened once in forever. And even then, we are talking a shift of a few percentage points, not 30 something percent that happened in the UK.

Twice. It also happened in 96 (was very close though). The reality is that the US system squeezes all its voters into two buckets. It is and will probably always remain a binary choice. It's true that first past the post ensures that the more parties you've got the more variance there will be between your vote share and the number of seats you end up getting. Any third party setting up shop under the American system would struggle similarly. Nonetheless, at least the UK/French system seems to end up with more than two parties and platforms being represented in their parliaments. This seems a much more satisfactory and representative outcome than the essentially binary choice offered under the US system.

Last edited:
Musk now denying he ever committed to donating the $45m.

Like other billionaires, Musk’s only interest is buying favour. He thought he was backing a sure bet in Trump when he was up against Biden and that sort of backing buys pretty big favours.

He’s not going to risk hundreds of millions of dollars if there is a chance it’s money pissed down the drain.

Like other billionaires, Musk’s only interest is buying favour. He thought he was backing a sure bet in Trump when he was up against Biden and that sort of backing buys pretty big favours.

He’s not going to risk hundreds of millions of dollars if there is a chance it’s money pissed down the drain.

100%. Tesla and SpaceX are both reliant on varying degrees of government incentives and contracts to generate more income and he was simply preparing to go all in on Trump when he thought he was a sure bet. Now that it's a bit up in the air, he's pulling back.

It's quite possible Trump saw that 45m from the news and just repeated it. If he was told by Musk himself and then man child #2 got cold feet, now that would be hilarious.

Won't that also hapen with harris? She will have to pick a side eventually and those consequences will still apply.

Sure, it will still apply but strategically, the less obvious it is, and the less a VP has come out aggressively in favor of punishing campus protestors the better it will be for the Dems chances in the election. There is a spectrum here, some people have already decided they will not vote for Biden ever because Israel and the furthest on the spectrum probably won't vote for Kamala either being part of Biden Admin. But there are those less committed that might not have voted Biden but might vote Kamala + a VP and having Shapiro, for my best guess, probably hurts among those groups.

Unrelated to your comment, I also believe Shapiro's background is too similar to Kamala (lawyer that turned politician super early) and won't help among other swing states whereas a Kelly or Walz I feel would appeal more to the average midwesterner than two lawyers turned politicians. Shapiro is probably my least favorite among all the candidates since his appeal is solely that "he can deliver Pennsylvania" which I am dubious he can actually do even if he can swift 2-3 points there. Feels a bit too much of a gamble.

100%. Tesla and SpaceX are both reliant on varying degrees of government incentives and contracts to generate more income and he was simply preparing to go all in on Trump when he thought he was a sure bet. Now that it's a bit up in the air, he's pulling back.

Eh, are we sure Musk care much anymore? He is too big to fail at this point.

After all, he is still the richest, on the worst days 2nd richest man in the world, despite his Twitter failure, and catering to right-wingers who definitely buys Teslas at a lower rate than liberals did.

Dem policies are great for electrical vehicle industry, and by extent, Musk, not that he had much positive to say about them regardless.

Its interesting that both sides seem to believe recent events are going to propel them to the Presidency. A lot of MAGA people are convinced Trump getting shot and surviving will generate tremendous turnout to get him reelected. On the other side, we're seeing a lot of pent up energy released following Biden's announcement and a feeling like Harris may have turned the Dems' fortunes around.

Its interesting that both sides seem to believe recent events are going to propel them to the Presidency. A lot of MAGA people are convinced Trump getting shot and surviving will generate tremendous turnout to get him reelected. On the other side, we're seeing a lot of pent up energy released following Biden's announcement and a feeling like Harris may have turned the Dems' fortunes around.
Isn't Trump's assassination attempt already old news by now.

It’s interesting that both sides seem to believe recent events are going to propel them to the Presidency. A lot of MAGA people are convinced Trump getting shot and surviving will generate tremendous turnout to get him reelected. On the other side, we're seeing a lot of pent up energy released following Biden's announcement and a feeling like Harris may have turned the Dems' fortunes around.
The assassination attempt was shocking. However, I feel that it didn’t make much of a difference and it feels as if it happened years ago, not 10 days ago.

Obviously, the political events since that day were unusual, but still.

The assassination attempt was shocking. However, I feel that it didn’t make much of a difference and it feels as if it happened years ago, not 10 days ago.

Obviously, the political events since that day were unusual, but still.
Plus I'd bet a very large percentage were secretly sad he wasn't killed.

Plus I'd bet a very large percentage were secretly sad he wasn't killed.
The choice of Vance, the speech and Biden’s decision (after the RNC ended) were the real factors.

Another point:
PA: two Democrat senators, a Democrat governor and more

AZ: two Democrat senators (one is now Independent), a Democrat governor and more

WI: a Democrat senator and governor

MI: Two Democrat senators, a Democrat governor and more

Almost all state-wide officials in these crucial states are Democrats. Senator Johnson of Wisconsin is the only exception, and even then the 2022 race was close.

We should be winning these states in November.

Last edited:
Isn't Trump's assassination attempt already old news by now.

It is in the general media space, but certainly not among his base. They're still bristling at the thought he may have been killed, and with his death the possibility of the entire movement going down in flames.

Vice president gets elected by the Senate, Presidency goes to the House of Representatives (the one that gets elected in November, not the one currently in session). In the house each state gets just one vote so instead of acting individually representatives act as a state delegation. Whichever party holds the most representatives in a given state will then command that state's vote. I think this tends to benefit Republicans.

Edit. So there could be the ludicrous scenario where a candidate wins the popular vote, their party wins a majority in the House of Representatives and yet still loses the presidency.
And in theory you could also end up getting a VP that is the other party to the President

Just the optics of a woman of color being sworn in as President with a gay VP come January would be amazing.

I also really like mayor Pete.
It would but I can't see it happening, it'll be hard enough winning as a woman of color without adding on a gay man which like it or not his a big no-no for millions of people

Laughing Kamala is not funny. Lyin Ted, low energy Jeb and sloppy Steve are.

Something can be funny, cringy and coming from a maniac all at the same time.

This is a ridiculously pointless and circular discussion.

You actually think those are funny? They sound like names Garbage Pail Kids rejected for being so terrible. I don't see how those are funny at all.

A few VP contenders:

Josh Shapiro - Governor of Pennsylvania

Andy Bashear - Governor of Kentucky

Pete Buttigieg - Secretary of Transportation

Tim Walz - Governor of Minnesota

Roy Cooper - Governor of North Carolina

Mark Kelly - Senator from Arizona

Buttigieg is definitely the best speaker but he's not a good strategic choice this year for Harris.

I think from these clips Kelly and Walz have the most appeal to typical Midwestern voters and both have careers before politics which is a big plus for making them more appealing and it comes across in how they speak. I really hope they go with a non lawyer for VP.

That is crazy. These legacy families really need to feck off. I'm sure we'll get one of Trump's kids and then grandkids throwing their name in the ring in future elections to keep the Trump legacy going too.

This is a weird thing to say when by "a Biden" it is just one guy. The tweet is phrased in a way to make it out there was someone else in his family who was in a presidential election like Clinton and Bush.

It's not uncommon for people to appear on more than two tickets if they were vice president and jump for the presidency. It's actually quite common. That tweet doesn't mention the names Mondale or Gore who ran on three presidential tickets like Biden, twice as VP and once for POTUS within that timeline.

Buttigieg is definitely the best speaker but he's not a good strategic choice this year for Harris.

I think from these clips Kelly and Walz have the most appeal to typical Midwestern voters and both have careers before politics which is a big plus for making them more appealing and it comes across in how they speak. I really hope they go with a non lawyer for VP.

Kelly's anti union record should instantly DQ him for the conversation. He also just attended Netanyahu's speech which was widely boycotted by Dems.

I think Biden would have been better if he did more of that stuff which he was well known for doing as VP. I distinctly remember him being viewed as the fiery wingman who sometimes Obama's people wished stuck to the script (back when ironically Obama was mocked for relying on teleprompters all the time). I always believed had 2016 Biden ran Donald Trump would have been a footnote in political history as a lot of those non college educated voters would have not shifted to Trump. Over the course of his presidency they became true believers but in 2016 I think he had a lot of shaky voters who would have gone for Biden.

Whether he is just too old to land those punches anymore is certainly a factor but it would have given him a fighting chance than what was put out on the debate stage.