2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Its a coup!
a56a82b8-e69b-8bcb-8d7b-b224fe056456.jpeg

He's not IMO. It's the wrong year to pick a Jewish VP which would put the Gaza-Israel situation right in the cross hairs. Shapiro comes out against Israel as a Jewish VP and the AIPAC crowd would come hard against him and if he doesn't come out against Israel then it's a big risk of losing pro-Palestine Gen Z voters that won't. E motivated to turn out. It's smarter strategically to pick someone like Kelly or Cooper where the issue won't be as flammable or highlighted.
Won't that also hapen with harris? She will have to pick a side eventually and those consequences will still apply.

I'm watching a documentary about Trump's first year as president.

He actually was far more coherent and put together back then (even if the actual stuff he was saying was similar to what it is today). I can't say I had noticed such a cognitive decline in him, but by going back and watching this it has hit me that there undoubtedly has been a notable decline.

He actually was far more coherent and put together back then (even if the actual stuff he was saying was similar to what it is today). I can't say I had noticed such a cognitive decline in him, but by going back and watching this it has hit me that there undoubtedly has been a notable decline.

Drowsy Donald

No need to pay me royalties, Kamala!

Drowsy Donald

No need to pay me royalties, Kamala!

Diaper Don isn't used enough. It's not like it's a demographic Harris would win anyway.

What happens in this eventual 269-269 scenario? Do we get the civil war then?

Diaper Don isn't used enough. It's not like it's a demographic Harris would win anyway.

If i remember correctly the States will then decide with each state having a singular vote.

I was reading about him in my Dutch newspaper. It seems he represents the part of the Republican Party that has made coherent sense out of Trump's random ramblings and decisions, which I suppose is linked to that Heritage Foundation plan as well. So I get it from a structural point of view: Trump and Vance is the bluster and the brains. (And yes, Vance represents the Silicon Valley crew behind it.) But otherwise, yeah, it's just doubling down on the angry radical white dude profile.
I'm not sure that's even possible

The President is decided by the House of Representatives. However, each state has one vote (presumably the party with more representatives from that state get the vote). Which means President Trump.

Vice president gets elected by the Senate, Presidency goes to the House of Representatives (the one that gets elected in November, not the one currently in session). In the house each state gets just one vote so instead of acting individually representatives act as a state delegation. Whichever party holds the most representatives in a given state will then command that state's vote. I think this tends to benefit Republicans.

Edit. So there could be the ludicrous scenario where a candidate wins the popular vote, their party wins a majority in the House of Representatives and yet still loses the presidency.

Last edited:
Most of these things seem to benefit the Republicans. But the Democrats don't seem too concerned with changing any of it any time they do have power.

Until the assassination attempt I always thought Donald Ducks (avoids) was underused.

Vice president gets elected by the Senate, Presidency goes to the House of Representatives (the one that gets elected in November, not the one currently in session). In the house each state gets just one vote so instead of acting individually representatives act as a state delegation. Whichever party holds the most representatives in a given state will then command that state's vote. I think this tends to benefit Republicans.

Edit. So there could be the ludicrous scenario where a candidate wins the popular vote, their party wins a majority in the House of Representatives and yet still loses the presidency.
Just the dumbest country.

Most of these things seem to benefit the Republicans. But the Democrats don't seem too concerned with changing any of it any time they do have power.
It is not as easy as just wanting to change them. Any constitutional change needs 2/3 of both the Senate and House, followed by 3/4th of states ratifying it. This is by design, any change must have wide bipartisan support. Which means that currently changing the constitution is impossible.

There could be a hypothetical scenario in the UK or France when a party wins more votes than any other party, and yet ends with no MPs.

There could be a hypothetical scenario in the UK or France when a party wins more votes than any other party, and yet ends with no MPs.

Sure, but that seems vanishingly unlikely, whereas we only have to go back to the last time Dems held a house majority to discover that Republicans would still have a majority in terms of state delegations. Like, even in 2018 when Dems dominated the house 235-199 Republicans still controlled a majority (26) of state delegations.

Sure, but that seems vanishingly unlikely, whereas we only have to go back to the last time Dems held a house majority to discover that Republicans would still have a majority in terms of state delegations. Like, even in 2018 when Dems dominated the house 235-199 Republicans still controlled a majority (26) of state delegations.
It is also very unlikely for the president to be chosen by the House. It has happened only once, in 1824.

Just a couple of weeks ago, the party with most votes in France ended third with MPs. Reform in the Uk ended with 0.8% of MPs despite winning 14.3% of the popular vote. So many European countries have far ‘less-proportional’ systems than the US.

He’s 7 years older than he was in 2017. That makes a difference. Biden walked to the White House after the inauguration in January 2021; now he barely walks to the podium at the White House.

I’m much younger than both, but even I have changed since 2017.

Some interesting numbers on who Americans wouldn't vote for based on religious affiliation.

The only potential problem with Shapiro is Michigan, right? Considering that there is a large Muslim population there.

I do not believe for a single minute this mentioned that 'the US is not ready for a Jewish VP'. The US has had many Jewish foreign secretaries which is a more important person than the VP. Heck, right now the US has a foreign secretary and a senate majority leader who are Jewish, both essentially being more powerful positions than the VP, and no one has a problem with that.

Interesting, thank you.
Not in relation to Shapiro because "The poll question assumed that, candidates’ faith aside, the respondents agreed with their positions on issues. Obviously, voters may still oppose Shapiro because of his position on issues, regardless of his faith".

The only potential problem with Shapiro is Michigan, right? Considering that there is a large Muslim population there.

I do not believe for a single minute this mentioned that 'the US is not ready for a Jewish VP'. The US has had many Jewish foreign secretaries which is a more important person than the VP. Heck, right now the US has a foreign secretary and a senate majority leader who are Jewish, both essentially being more powerful positions than the VP, and no one has a problem with that.
how many foreign secretaries were elected?

I don't think Shapiro would be a problem because he's Jewish per say. Indeed, Harris' own husband is Jewish. If there is a problem with Shapiro, it would be regarding specific things he's said about the war protesters that may ruffle a few feathers. But then again, when you're running against Trump in a general election, the VP issue isn't likely to be a prominent one in contrast to what both actual Presidential candidates believe.

Not in relation to Shapiro because "The poll question assumed that, candidates’ faith aside, the respondents agreed with their positions on issues. Obviously, voters may still oppose Shapiro because of his position on issues, regardless of his faith".
Fair point.

Shapiro is not my first choice. He won’t be very attractive for Muslim/Arab voters in Michigan and Virginia, and generally young voters in swing states.

The war has fractured the Democratic coalition, and he is not the best choice to help with uniting it at such a critical juncture.

I don't think Shapiro would be a problem because he's Jewish per say. Indeed, Harris' own husband is Jewish. If there is a problem with Shapiro, it would be regarding specific things he's said about the war protesters that could be an issue. But then again, when you're running against Trump in a general election, the VP issue isn't likely to be a prominent one in contrast to what both actual Presidential candidates believe.
Did Shapiro say something that does not have pretty much bipartisan support? I do not think so. Except the squad, the US politicians in both parties are heavily aligned with regards to Israel.

It is very hard to see any shift with regards to Israel regardless of the president, let alone VP who usually does not have much to do with foreign policy.

It might be a tiny problem with Michigan though, but I expect that to be either way considering that Harris was Biden’s VP. On the other hand, it might help with the Jewish vote who feel that Biden didn’t help much Israel.

It’s fun to see Republicans and their mouth pieces completely scramble on the Kamala attacks.

She doesn’t have children, she has a crazy laugh, she’s the border Czar, she wasn’t elected as the nominee, she was a DEI hire, she has a terrible record as an AG. It’s just all over the place.

With respect to marketing campaigns, its usually best to focus on just 1-2 key angle and hammer it down, one at a time. With Biden, that angle was age/cognitive decline which worked effectively.

By focusing on too many angles, none of them will get internalized by target audience. And that's where the republicans are now stuck.

Dems need to stick to their top 3 attacks on Trump - Threat to democracy (Project 2025), Women's rights, Criminal President and simply hammer those angles down one at the time to mobilize independents.

Did Shapiro say something that does not have pretty much bipartisan support? I do not think so. Except the squad, the US politicians in both parties are heavily aligned with regards to Israel.

It is very hard to see any shift with regards to Israel regardless of the president, let alone VP who usually does not have much to do with foreign policy.

It might be a tiny problem with Michigan though, but I expect that to be either way considering that Harris was Biden’s VP. On the other hand, it might help with the Jewish vote who feel that Biden didn’t help much Israel.

He's getting hit by a faction on the left about comments he made comparing Palestinian protesters to the KKK. Not sure if that will stick or not, but his overall views don't seem to deviate from mainstream Dem positions.

He's getting hit by a faction on the left about comments he made comparing Palestinian protesters to the KKK. Not sure if that will stick or not, but his overall views don't seem to deviate from mainstream Dem positions.
There's this too