2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

I think part of it is she's a woman and knows Harris will be under immense pressure to select a white male given her own race/gender background. There is also some degree of wanting to preserve her gunpowder for 2028. Same thing applies to Newsom as well.
Forgot about that. Shame that it still plays a major role.

Thanks for the fast reply.

I think part of it is she's a woman and knows Harris will be under immense pressure to select a white male given her own race/gender background. There is also some degree of wanting to preserve her gunpowder for 2028. Same thing applies to Newsom as well.

That makes sense. However, there's an element of gamble though, right? If Harris wins then she's obviously the candidate in 28 and Newsom/Whitmer are screwed until at least 32. By then they might not be viable anymore.

It is over (but then it was over yesterday too). Obama is the last big-one who has yet to endorse her, which I'll expect will come shortly.

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I do not see how Harris defeats Trump.
I agree with you. I’m not happy with this choice.

JD Vance just said that Harris owns the bad policies, as he sees them, of Biden. Well, he’s right that she owns the policies. If a swing voter didn’t like the Biden-Harris administration, then putting her on top is a mistake. They will hammer her on that day and night.

I agree with you. I’m not happy with this choice.

JD Vance just said that Harris owns the bad policies, as he sees them, of Biden. Well, he’s right that she owns the policies. If a swing voter didn’t like the Biden-Harris administration, then putting her on top is a mistake. They will hammer her on that day and night.

She's not my favourite candidate but I don't think she'll be utterly terrible. She does have to answer for the administration but she can at least defend the record in a cogent way as well as articulate some of its successes. She's also more able to go on the offence. The current version of Biden couldn't even begin to do any of these things.

The big thing is if she can appear normal and relatable (jury is out).

There's a theory I once heard that you should never let an old King pick his successor because out of vanity he will always pick someone not as good as he was. Happened with King Lear, happened with Alex Ferguson and now with Biden. Harris will get ripped to shreds by Trump.

How come so many people including black people believe this nonsense Tulsi Gabbad babe out with about Kamala jailing 1500 black men for slimming weed and laughing about it.

I've seen so many people saying they won't vote for her because of this even though it's been proven not to be the case and the fact it was Tulsi Gabbsrd who said it in the first place should have been enough of a sign it was false

How come so many people including black people believe this nonsense Tulsi Gabbad babe out with about Kamala jailing 1500 black men for slimming weed and laughing about it.

I've seen so many people saying they won't vote for her because of this even though it's been proven not to be the case and the fact it was Tulsi Gabbsrd who said it in the first place should have been enough of a sign it was false
She did get photographed in a bikini, so therefore has views which need listening to.

Honestly, you'd have to be a very bad politician if you get ' ripped to shreds' by someone like Trump.

I don't think Harris is a strong candidate, but what else can she or anyone else do at this point? The Democrats wanted the old guy out, now they are stuck with Harris, who is probably the only one available for this. So they will have to back her now. We have all these polls indicating that they would prefer voting for a younger candidate. Then, just do it. Can't have both way at this point.

All this talk about how she was chosen by Biden or the elites over other candidates is strange and probably doesn't reflect reality that there is no other viable candidate at all.

I don't think Harris is a strong candidate, but what else can she or anyone else do at this point? The Democrats wanted the old guy out, now they are stuck with Harris, who is probably the only one available for this. So they will have to back her now. We have all these polls indicating that they would prefer voting for a younger candidate. Then, just do it. Can't have both way at this point.

All this talk about how she was chosen by Biden or the elites over other candidates is strange and probably doesn't reflect reality that there is probably no other viable candidate at all. The elites should have pushed Biden out a year earlier.

Based on her 2020 election results she clearly wouldn't be considered a strong candidate. The other way of looking at it is she may wind up being the appropriate candidate for this election. Biden was previously viewed as a bit of a serial loser in political terms. He ran for President twice and got humiliated, then ran a third time and wound up getting the most votes in history because the people coalesced around his candidacy to make sure Trump didn't win a 2nd term. Harris is also now running to do the same, so she's likely to benefit from a lot of the energy that Biden had four years ago - because Dems know the consequences of a 2nd Trump term.

More on an Open Convention: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/what-is-an-open-convention/

James Zogby talks about this too here.

I agree with him. No coronation.

(He also talks about Harris, Netanyahu and Gaza).

This would've been ideal if there was more time. Unfortunately, not only isn't there enough time right now, there aren't any credible candidates who have expressed an interest either. Therefore its not a coronation if there's only one candidate in the race.

This would've been ideal if there was more time. Unfortunately, not only isn't there enough time right now, there aren't any credible candidates who have expressed an interest either. Therefore its not a coronation if there's only one candidate in the race.
Also, as per news, anyone other than Harris would have to generate new funds and there is no time to generate it.

The 1,500 figure appears to come from a 2019 articleby the Washington Free Beacon -- a conservative publication -- entitled “Kamala Harris Packed California Prisons With Pot Peddlers.” It quotes statistics from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) that at least 1,560 people were jailed for marijuana offenses in state prisons when Harris was California state attorney general from 2011 through 2016. The website later published a correction and pointed to a fact check by the San Francisco Chronicle which put the number of admissions to California state prisons for marijuana and hashish admissions at 1,974 during that period. This is confirmed by CDCR data obtained by AFP -- which relates to all inmates, not just black men. Contacted by AFP, the CDCR said there was no breakdown for marijuana offense admissions specifically by ethnicity and gender.

In 2011, the California Public Safety Realignment Actmeant most newly-sentenced non-violent criminals, including most drug offenders, were sent to county jail rather than state prison. This explains a drop in admissions figures between 2011 and 2012.

The black male population of California state prisons stayed roughly the same during Harris’s time as attorney general. According to CDCR data, in December 2010, shortly before Harris took office, 29 percent of male inmates were black. In December 2017, after she left, this figure had dipped to 28.5 percent.

https://factcheck.afp.com/misleading-claim-says-harris-jailed-1500-black-men-marijuana

Also, as per news, anyone other than Harris would have to generate new funds and there is no time to generate it.

True. And the fact that Dems have raised an astonishing $150m over night based on a Harris ticket suggests no one else would have sufficient funds anywhere near what Harris would have.

Yeah, Harris would not have won the primaries had Biden accepted his age a year ago but at this point there is nothing to suggest there’s a safer bet than her. She’s kind of an incumbent, in a way, and she has a few narratives going for her (a woman vs. anti-abortionists, an attorney vs. a felon), plus her background may appeal to key voter bases Biden struggled to mobilize.

True, but there might be some candidates who run if it’s an open convention. Not saying that Harris will lose to any other candidate, but it’s better to “earn it” as she herself said. If she wins, and I expect her to win it, that would look better. There is time at the convention. That’s more interesting than the typical speeches than no one watches.

I have got some highlights from Romney v Obama debate popping up on my Reddit today, and lord how different the political landscape of US was back then… same for when it was Obama v McCain the first time. I don’t think we are going back to that anytime soon, if anything it’s bound to get even worse with society overflowing with hatred more after Trump’s inevitable second term.

How that bunch of lunatics got so much traction in recent years I’ll never know. There’s always a fraction of that kind in any society but for them to consistently get so much support is an embarrassment.

please clap

original.gif

Again, you'd have to be bad to lose to these people.

True, but there might be some candidates who run if it’s an open convention. Not saying that Harris will lose to any other candidate, but it’s better to “earn it” as she herself said. If she wins, and I expect her to win it, that would look better. There is time at the convention. That’s more interesting than the typical speeches than no one watches.

There might be and there are, are two different things here. Not only is there the insurmountable financial issue, but there is also the fact that every other credible candidate has already backed Harris.

Republican firm.
Narrow Dem leads everywhere competitive, tied in Wisconsin and Arizona, behind in Monatana, surprisingly far ahead in Ohio still

There might be and there are, are two different things here. Not only is there the insurmountable financial issue, but there is also the fact that every other credible candidate has already backed Harris.
Fair enough. Still, if someone shows interest, let that person be heard and considered. It’s about democracy after all, isn’t it?

Trump alone is a lot. Trump and Vance together is next level punishment to our eyes and brains.
If Vance would just act his normal sense, he would be better IMO. He is obviously a sellout, but he is definitely smart.

Not sure how wise is for him to be a cheap bad version of Trump though. It would just look…boring.

Now Trump is actually funny. If you somehow forget that he will likely be the next president and the damage he will cause, and the division he did, but just look at it as some cheap standup comedian, it is kinda funny. Trump wannabes though, they’re completely unfunny.

When you go from Trump's rape and plunder everything insanity and Biden's drinking from the skulls of small children senility, Kamala's nursery school, coconut kook doesn't seem so bad.