2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Why is that do you think? The race aspect?

Given Whitmer's experience, feels like she could definitely have an angle here if she wanted it, but so far everyone has been in step and Harris feels like the only potential candidate.

I'm now at the stage where I'd much rather gamble on Harris' ability to gain a few percentage points than Biden's. I think she could be better than a lot of people think, and certainly better at getting messages and enthusiasm out there than Biden.

There is already the race and gender issue, so she would already be dealing with an uphill struggle before even starting. Then add to that she is a fairly dull candidate who doesn't energize any particular constituency, even her own demographic. See the 2020 primary results for more of that.

The only reason she is in her job at the moment is because Biden made a desperate drug deal with Jim Clyburn in early 2020, where Clyburn would support Biden's languishing campaign (he was losing to Bernie at the time) in South Carolina, in exchange for various concessions on the other side. She is therefore a fabrication of convenience, and not candidate born out of popular support of democratic voters. That is not the sort of person you want to put in front of a now resurgent Trump who will be flying high in the polls because of a massive wave of public sympathy that cancels out most of his negatives for the next few months.

There is already the race and gender issue, so she would already be dealing with an uphill struggle before even starting. Then add to that she is a fairly dull candidate who doesn't energize any particular constituency, even her own demographic. See the 2020 primary results for more of that. The only reason she is in her job at the moment is because Biden made a desperate drug deal with Jim Clyburn in early 2020, where Clyburn would support Biden's languishing campaign (he was losing to Bernie at the time) in South Carolina, in exchange for various concessions on the other side. She is therefore a fabrication of convenience, and not candidate born out of popular support of democratic voters. That is not the sort of person you want to put in front of a now resurgent Trump who will be flying high in the polls because of a massive wave of public sympathy that cancels out most of his negatives for the next few months.

This is spot on. I think in the 2020 primaries she was about to (or had already) dropped out of the Democratic race garnering no more than a few percentage points. The main contenders were Biden, Bernie, Mayor Pete, Amy Klobuchar and Liz Warren. Biden was languishing in Iowa, NH and Nevada until SC gave him all the momentum to sweep south.

Tough spot for the Dems. Likely need to tone down the rhetoric a bit (at least for a while) and be even more disciplined in campaigning.

It got missed as everyone was focused on the shooting but Biden looked completely out of it when he gave that statement last night. Looked in a worse state physically last night than he did at the debate

Quite predictable. There's more pressure for solidarity than rebellion after the shooting.

If there’s one thing sure to pivot undecideds back to the guy who can’t remember his own VPs name, it’s his opponent looking literally unkillable.

Good old rock, nothing beats that.

Last edited:
Good savvy move- even if the shooter had nothing to do with them, the protests and their image are very unpopular, and punching left is the least bad strategy Biden has. The only political thing you could say truthfully is about gun control, and nobody wants to hear that, it will be taken as a conspiracy to snatch guns. Proposing punitive laws against occupy-type protests could help too.

Good savvy move- even if the shooter had nothing to do with them, the protests and their image are very unpopular, and punching left is the least bad strategy Biden has. The only political thing you could say truthfully is about gun control, and nobody wants to hear that, it will be taken as a conspiracy to snatch guns. Proposing punitive laws against occupy-type protests could help too.

He should go one step ahead of Trump and deport all those Hamas supporters from the US, this will give him the 2nd term he wants.

He should go one step ahead of Trump and deport all those Hamas supporters from the US, this will give him the 2nd term he wants.

i meant it sincerely! killing more palestinians is a bipartisan thing, disliking protestors is bipartisan, and the kind of swing voters biden needs to win having eroded his base, would love both of them.

he won by 10 last time, it's not a swing state, it's not even a target for biden!

Brown's senate seat could flip, i suppose, but it probably will anyway.

Youngkin would have been a slam dunk, i think, Virginia being close and all, according to the polls.

i meant it sincerely! killing more palestinians is a bipartisan thing, disliking protestors is bipartisan, and the kind of swing voters biden needs to win having eroded his base, would love both of them.

Would it help him much? Bringing back Gaza and the protests to the conversation when they have been firmly in the background for a while now doesn't seem like the best idea.

Would it help him much? Bringing back Gaza and the protests to the conversation when they have been firmly in the background for a while now doesn't seem like the best idea.

he has no good options. he is going back to the time-tested left-punching, which republicans love. the only other option would be gun control, which snowflake republicans would consider a personal attack, distorting blame, etc.

Only way the Dems win now is if they get a well liked figure like Michelle or Oprah Winfrey to run. Dems are complete shi*bags so the chances of my suggestion occurring is 0.00001%.

The Tass news agency reported that Russia’s president Vladimir Putin does not immediately plan to call Trump about the shooting.
Of course he won't call just yet. He'll call to congratulate Trump on winning the election hours after Trump has stopped all funding and aid to Ukraine.

had a look at the 538 avg. there's a gap that starts opening up just before the debate, and expands after:

om2x0pj.png

the point for me isn't that others necessarily would do better, but that i don't see how biden claws this back. he's not getting younger in october.

Not this again!

I agree, no chance in hell she runs but that's the dire times the Dems are now in that they might need to force someone who has no interest whatsoever in running to be their candidate to stand a chance of winning.

Within 24 hours she has wished the fascist president a speedy recovery

I totally get the humanity side of this. However, the issue with these bleeding heart tweets by various persons is that these Trump supporters, including the one killed in the crowd who is said to have been a staunch Trump fanatic supporter (RIP), would likely have had zero remorse had the Jan 6 insurrection succeeded and/or resulted in the deaths of many politicians on both sides. Especially AOC who has a big target on her from the hate talk right wing echo chambers.

I agree, no chance in hell she runs but that's the dire times the Dems are now in that they might need to force someone who has no interest whatsoever in running to be their candidate to stand a chance of winning.

They have no chance of winning. Even with Michelle or Oprah. It's done.

People like Newsom, Whitmer aren't going to risk their political ambitions on fighting Trump in an election they cannot win.

They'll most likely stick with Biden, get a thumping and focus on 2028.

I totally get the humanity side of this. However, the issue with these bleeding heart tweets by various persons is that these Trump supporters, including the one killed in the crowd who is said to have been a staunch Trump fanatic supporter (RIP), would likely have had zero remorse had the Jan 6 insurrection succeeded and/or resulted in the deaths of many politicians on both sides. Especially AOC who has a big target on her from the hate talk right wing echo chambers.

Why is that an issue?