2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

The difference in running styles between him and the Mullet is chalk and cheese, Seville is so relaxed while the Mullet is straining like my nice when she's having a shit.

Yeah I really hope Lewis advises him to alter that running style because doesn't feel sustainable. There is no doubt a combo of poor start and not having big finish cost him qualification

I always find it very interesting how some countries punch well above their weight in the Olympics. I haven't look at the stats but every four years the likes of Great Britain, Australia and Hungary always seem to rack up medals of all colours pretty easily, while the only instances I recall the likes of, say, Spain and Argentina winning gold was Rafael Nadal in Beijing 2008 and the latter's men's basketball team in Athens 2004 respectively.

I always find it very interesting how some countries punch well above their weight in the Olympics. I haven't look at the stats but every four years the likes of Great Britain, Australia and Hungary always seem to rack up medals of all colours pretty easily, while the only instances I recall the likes of, say, Spain and Argentina winning gold was Rafael Nadal in Beijing 2008 and the latter's men's basketball team in Athens 2004 respectively.
I suppose it depends what you consider as their “weight”. I do wonder how nations compare when you look at funding numbers. Population is a bit of a red herring.

I suppose it depends what you consider as their “weight”. I do wonder how nations compare when you look at funding numbers. Population is a bit of a red herring.
I think it goes without saying that population is not a good indicator but it doesn't take away the fact that Spain or Argentina should be producing better athletes, given their sporting prowess elsewhere. Out of curiosity I just checked the all-time medals table and my suspicions are indeed correct -- Argentina has only ever won 21 gold medals in its history while Hungary a staggering 181 gold.

Last edited:
GB have had a bit of luck go their way with what happened to France, got a nice little lead at the moment.

I think it goes without saying that population is not a good indicator but it doesn't take away the fact that Spain or Argentina should be producing better athletes, given their sporting prowess elsewhere. Out of curiosity I just checked the all-time medals table and my suspicions are indeed correct -- Argentina has only ever won 21 gold medals in its history while Hungary a staggering 181 gold.
It's of course about population and funding, but also very much about tradition and selection of disciplines. Spain traditionally have really good athletes in football, handball, basketball, road cycling, tennis, etc. There just aren't that many medals given out in those disciplines. On the other hand, if a nation has tradition for and focuses on athletics, swimming, gymnastics and the like they can really do well in the medals table.

If GB are still level with Germany or ahead at the start of the final leg you’d think Potter should be able to bring it home

Not necessarily - will all come down to the running part.

That was a bit disappointing, hard to blame someone for doing their best in such a tough event but maybe she should have slowed down a bit in the cycle part and stayed with them

Brave race from Potter, blew it in the bike section
Knibb is excellent at the bike part, she also competed at cycling TT in this Olympics and is US champion TT as well. No shame in getting caught by her.

I think Beth paid the price for leading almost the entire cycling section out on her own… that and having such a big effort in the individual to recover from. She hasn’t really looked quite in top form to me either, but it was a great effort from the team overall.

Oddly was probably hampered by having a lead into the bike leg. Felt she went flat out to try and maintain it, whereas the German held back and shadowed the American, having more for the run.

It's of course about population and funding, but also very much about tradition and selection of disciplines. Spain traditionally have really good athletes in football, handball, basketball, road cycling, tennis, etc. There just aren't that many medals given out in those disciplines. On the other hand, if a nation has tradition for and focuses on athletics, swimming, gymnastics and the like they can really do well in the medals table.
Spot on. Some sports disciplines just hand out dozens of medals and if you're good at one of them then you're sorted. Spain and Argentina are weird examples, because they're actually really good at a couple of sports that half the countries in the world would gladly offer their firstborn for being good at. A better example would be let's say Mexico or Colombia that rarely win in any sports.

On the other hand, what is up with Germany? They're below the Netherlands and Italy in the medal table and they're supposed to be good across the board in sports. Not really seeing them in many finals either.

It’s beyond filthy. Crazy part is they spent billions ‘cleaning’ it before the games.

The strange thing about it is that it's a case study that I had years ago and it is known that Seine's water is much cleaner upstream of Paris. But the events are specifically where they shouldn't be.

Spot on. Some sports disciplines just hand out dozens of medals and if you're good at one of them then you're sorted. Spain and Argentina are weird examples, because they're actually really good at a couple of sports that half the countries in the world would gladly offer their firstborn for being good at. A better example would be let's say Mexico or Colombia that rarely win in any sports.

On the other hand, what is up with Germany? They're below the Netherlands and Italy in the medal table and they're supposed to be good across the board in sports. Not really seeing them in many finals either.
We‘re not spending much on sports these days and it’s showing. German sport is in a really bad state.

We‘re not spending much on sports these days and it’s showing. German sport is in a really bad state.
Interesting, I didn't know that. A couple of questions: Is high level sports federally funded or is each of the länder that has their own budget? And are your winter sports being affected as well?

The strange thing about it is that it's a case study that I had years ago and it is known that Seine's water is much cleaner upstream of Paris. But the events are specifically where they shouldn't be.
Hope you’re feeling guilty for not flashing your master’s thesis at the organisers.

Interesting, I didn't know that. A couple of questions: Is high level sports federally funded or is each of the länder that has their own budget? And are your winter sports being affected as well?
Sports are a matter of the ministry of the interior. So it’s not necessarily a Länder issue. However they do have some liberties in the way they utilise the small funds they are given.
Winter sports are also affected.

It really comes down to austerity. It’s eating away the countries substance and sports are only a small, yet highly visible part of it.

Climbing week about to start!:drool: Where my fellow apes at? @Pogue Mahone
:drool:

So happy they got the extra medals and speed is a standalone event now. Not that I don’t like speed. It’s cool but it’s kind of, not really climbing?

That said, climbing a speed wall is on my bucket list. We don’t have one in Ireland. Apparently surprisingly difficult?

:drool:

So happy they got the extra medals and speed is a standalone event now. Not that I don’t like speed. It’s cool but it’s kind of, not really climbing?

That said, climbing a speed wall is on my bucket list. We don’t have one in Ireland. Apparently surprisingly difficult?
I did climb it years ago, apparently it's 6b+ but it did feel easier (maybe because you don't have to clip draws or maybe because it suits me because it is a bit reachy but in climbers terms I almost qualify as being tall with 1.79m and a positive ape index).
Main difference that a lot of people don't realize when they see it on TV is that it is slightly overhanging, so definitely not 90° straight.

The closest climbing gym has one, so I actually thought of going there this week and climbing it again to give my friends a "What if a normal person would compete at the Olympics" reference video :lol:

It’s beyond filthy. Crazy part is they spent billions ‘cleaning’ it before the games.

For the Belgian athlete, there is nothing yet that connects it to the river. The second one is just over exhaustion after the race (the athletes said so themselves).

I do agree the river is disgusting and they shouldn't have held the events there, it was political stubbornness, but there's a bit of misinformation going around.

GB demoted to bronze now in the relay, that finish was so difficult to call but I did think that it was USA second

I did climb it years ago, apparently it's 6b+ but it did feel easier (maybe because you don't have to clip draws or maybe because it suits me because it is a bit reachy but in climbers terms I almost qualify as being tall with 1.79m and a positive ape index).
Main difference that a lot of people don't realize when they see it on TV is that it is slightly overhanging, so definitely not 90° straight.

The closest climbing gym has one, so I actually thought of going there this week and climbing it again to give my friends a "What if a normal person would compete at the Olympics" reference video :lol:

6B+ isn’t a gimme! I fall off 6b+ boulders all the time. I’m 1.87 and have a very positive ape, so should be able to get up it. Eventually.

First boulder for the men has a 68 degree overhang in the middle section. Yikes. Always been more of a slab fan myself.

GB demoted to bronze now in the relay, that finish was so difficult to call but I did think that it was USA second
Nice to know they can review stuff to take medals away from us but when a clay target is clearly shot there’s absolutely nothing they can do :rolleyes: