Men's 100m Butterfly
Men's 200m Butterfly
Men's 200m Individual Medley
Men's 400m Individual Medley
Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay
Men's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay
Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay
Mixed 4 x 100m Medley Relay

What exactly is the purpose of having a billion events in the water? When the same athlete can rack up 8 or so medals that should be more than enough proof that pro swimming is a niche sport. Imagine if every niche sport had 34 events.

For comparison, in Weightlifting you don't even get a medal for snatch, a medal for clean and jerk, and a medal for total, like you do at the world championships, only a medal for total. You also don't get half the weight classes at the olympics, for example you have 89kg men, and 102kg men, but not 96kg men, but thats more related to anti doping and the Olympics getting fed up with the amount of failed drugs tests.

Last edited:
I think I'd keep it in national borders so it keeps on having some of that atmosphere. So for example instead of having a Rome Olympics, you can have an Italy 2036. Rome has the athletics and ceremonies, Milan the aquatics,, the roman Amphiteater in Verona the Greco Roman wrestling and so on. Seems to me the only way to keep a sense of ownership while not bankrupting local governments.
That'd be a great idea imo.

Ireland get the bronze in some kind of two men rowing thing.

Double sculls apparently. Romania won unexpectedly. So the favourites - Netherlands - got another silver.

Ireland get the bronze in some kind of two men rowing thing.

Double sculls apparently. Romania won unexpectedly. So the favourites - Netherlands - got another silver.
Ah we were the favorites? I never knew we were this good at rowing. Though it makes sense, since most of our country consists of water in some form or another.

NZ getting gold in 2 women rowing with Romania as silver medalist and GB getting bronze medal.

Edit: Romania was gold medalist in last Olympics.

Last edited:
Ah we were the favorites? I never knew we were this good at rowing. Though it makes sense, since most of our country consists of water in some form or another.

I'm currently annoying my wife by asking if every medalling country has rivers in it. She got particularly irate when I asked about Netherlands and Romania.

I'm currently annoying my wife by asking if every medalling country has rivers in it. She got particularly irate when I asked about Netherlands and Romania.
Why, does Romania have a lot of rivers too?

I think the Danube is there, but have no idea other than that.

Of course the flipside to this is that there really are only a 10,11 cities in the world that have that kind of infrastructure within a reasonable distance. Maybe the IOC will have to pivot to national, instead if city based games.

Possibly. For now, it appears the list of optional cities has become narrow and the IOC chooses out of very few options rather than put it into a vote like in the past.

Ok. We're now onto 4 women in a boat - Netherlands leading GB.

Deja vu?

Why, does Romania have a lot of rivers too?

I think the Danube is there, but have no idea other than that.

It was mainly that the Danube famously runs through it and the Danube is famously absolutely fecking massive.

She's just told me that she thinks every country will have at least one river. I think she wants me to stop asking.

Just as close as yesterday but the other way around between GB and NL in the rowing.

Neck and neck again but this time it's the Netherlands who win gold.

@KirkDuyt

Your (other group of four) women done it!

Ah so close there but Netherlands had a clear gap this time, at Glover gets to leave with another medal.

Turkish shooter Yusuf Dikec, 51, became a god amongst men on Thursday (AEST) as he sent the internet into meltdown.

Competing in the air pistol mixed team event, Dikec stole the show and it had nothing to do with his seriously impressive skills.

Instead it was images of Dikec looking like he’d just strolled in from the pub around the corner that caused such commotion.

Competitors in any shooting discipline in the Olympics tend to wear ear protectors and two lenses, one to avoid blur and one for better precision.

Not Dikec.

Instead he rolled up the line with one hand in his pocket, aimed his pistol down sight and nailed his shots as he and Şevval İlayda Tarhan secured a silver medal in the event.

yabancilar-onu-konusuyor-kim-bu-astsubay-kidemli-bascavus-yusuf-dikec-ryjd.webp

Wait, there is another group doing the exact same event? Or is this another boat type or something?
Today's was called "Women's four" yesterday was called "women's quad sculls".

In the fours each rower has one paddle so you end up with two paddles on each side of the boat. In quad sculls all four rowers have two paddles. So I'm told...

The men's four final is on now.

And the USA men win the 4 men, 2 paddles on each side of the boat race.

In the fours each rower has one paddle so you end up with two paddles on each side of the boat. In quad sculls all four rowers have two paddles. So I'm told...

Ah I see, thanks :)

I've always thought there were too many medals in the swimming pool at the Olympics and that if swimming was a new sport being admitted there's no way there would be so many allowed, but its tradition now and I don't see it changing. In the modern summer olympics the list of most medal winners are dominated by swimmers, and then gymnastics. There's a core set of physiological advantages that are common between the strokes and much of the training training mutually benefits them all. These factors, coupled with the extremely low impact nature of swimming, means the sport is perfect for multi-medal achievements.

Some of this is true for gymnastics as well, but the difference here, in my opinion, is that gymnastics is so physically gruelling the careers don't tend to be as long. For example you can compare Simone Biles, who is widely regarded as the greatest gymnast ever, with Michael Phelps. This is Biles' 3rd olympics and has so far won 8 medals (admittedly she probably missed out on 2 or 3 at Tokyo) whereas Phelps won 28 in 4 Olympics. Phelps tally is made up of 16 individual medals and 12 relay medals. To be eligible for so many relay medals on their own over 4 Olympics is fairly extraordinary in and of itself (in comparison Gymnasts are eligible for only 1). Ultimately its impossible for anyone to top Phelps other than another swimmer (a female gymnast would have to compete in 5 Olympics and win a model in every individual piece plus the all round and the team to beat him).

For me Carl Lewis is the greatest OIympian ever, over 3 games he competed in just about every event he could (100m/200m/4x100m/long jump) and only came away with 10 medals. To win more than that would have been virtually impossible.

I'm not advocating for reducing medals in the pool, mostly for excitement, entertainment and tradition reasons, but I think its undeniable medal counts in the pool are vastly inflated.

I've always thought there were too many medals in the swimming pool at the Olympics and that if swimming was a new sport being admitted there's no way there would be so many allowed, but its tradition now and I don't see it changing. In the modern summer olympics the list of most medal winners are dominated by swimmers, and then gymnastics. There's a core set of physiological advantages that are common between the strokes and much of the training training mutually benefits them all. These factors, coupled with the extremely low impact nature of swimming, means the sport is perfect for multi-medal achievements.

Some of this is true for gymnastics as well, but the difference here, in my opinion, is that gymnastics is so physically gruelling the careers don't tend to be as long. For example you can compare Simone Biles, who is widely regarded as the greatest gymnast ever, with Michael Phelps. This is Biles' 3rd olympics and has so far won 8 medals (admittedly she probably missed out on 2 or 3 at Tokyo) whereas Phelps won 28 in 4 Olympics. Phelps tally is made up of 16 individual medals and 12 relay medals. To be eligible for so many relay medals on their own over 4 Olympics is fairly extraordinary in and of itself (in comparison Gymnasts are eligible for only 1). Ultimately its impossible for anyone to top Phelps other than another swimmer (a female gymnast would have to compete in 5 Olympics and win a model in every individual piece plus the all round and the team to beat him).

For me Carl Lewis is the greatest OIympian ever, over 3 games he competed in just about every event he could (100m/200m/4x100m/long jump) and only came away with 10 medals. To win more than that would have been virtually impossible.

I'm not advocating for reducing medals in the pool, mostly for excitement, entertainment and tradition reasons, but I think its undeniable medal counts in the pool are vastly inflated.
Agree with most of that, but as for the bolded part - careers in swimming also don't last that long imo. Kyle Chalmers is 26 and I'm willing to bet he was quite comfortably the oldest in the 100m freestyle yesterday. Sjostrom is 31 and considered a granny at this point at the end of her career.

Phelps was 31 in Rio and already lost some of his prowess. In comparison, Biles is 27 and still as good as she ever was, I believe.

Agree with most of that, but as for the bolded part - careers in swimming also don't last that long imo. Kyle Chalmers is 26 and I'm willing to bet he was quite comfortably the oldest in the 100m freestyle yesterday. Sjostrom is 31 and considered a granny at this point at the end of her career.

Phelps was 31 in Rio and already lost some of his prowess. In comparison, Biles is 27 and still as good as she ever was, I believe.

Biles is famously old for a gymnast. She's something like the oldest American female to compete at the Olympics in 70 odd years.

Agree, it skews the medal count quite a lot. Too many permutations of strokes, distances, medleys, and relays.

It would be fun to see a medal count, where number of athletes awarded the medal is accounted for. So an individual discipline would count for one, but a team discipline would count for however many athletes are included in that event.

I think they’re called oars in rowing. Paddles are the things they use in kayaking.

Ah that. Yeah it's also fairly normal. There's generally a pretty huge difference in reaction time between a flat and a diving start, and the nature of the relay means the anchor might swim in relatively "cleaner" water(opponents aren't neck and neck so less interference from their waves)

Only in the long distances! ;)
I did think that could be the reason but then Edwards swam slower in the 4x200 final than he did in the 200m final, also taking over from the lead.

BMX racing on tonight, that’s always a good event to watch for sheer carnage.