2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

In a pool that was supposed to be ‘slow’. That was a tour de force
Pan had already set the OR in the relay. He'd set the world record earlier this year. So the chance was there

That said, 4 tenths of a second is insanity. Winning a 100m race by over a second is insanity. This is instantly one of the greatest 100m freestyle races ever swam

It’s crazy how many medals swimmers can actually win :lol:

Also - agreed. If Marchand was American, they'd be carrying him in the freestyle relays this year, as as mentioned above, they didn't even medal in the individual event and still won the relay :lol:

No one will ever convince me Phelps is above Bolt!

Pan had already set the OR in the relay. He'd set the world record earlier this year. So the chance was there

That said, 4 tenths of a second is insanity. Winning a 100m race by over a second is insanity. This is instantly one of the greatest 100m freestyle races ever swam
Well he got the world record so technically it’s THE best ever swam.

What Pan did was out of this world. It looked like he was punishing the water.

Great olympic night and a reminder of why I will always love swimming above every other olympic sport.

6 I believe... but I'd hardly count of France's depth to get him relay medals, will be heavily dependent on home Olympics adrenaline. His 4 seem good value to Phelps 5 on an individual level to me though given the circumstances.... the 3 Phelps always got in the relays was basically a birth gift of America's great swimming depth.
France are historically good in freestyle relays and I think just him alone will give them a great chance there. I think he'll win the 200 IM too.

Women's 50m Freestyle
Women's 100m Freestyle
Women's 200m Freestyle
Women's 400m Freestyle
Women's 800m Freestyle
Women's 1500m Freestyle
Women's 100m Backstroke
Women's 200m Backstroke
Women's 100m Breaststroke
Women's 200m Breaststroke
Women's 100m Butterfly
Women's 200m Butterfly
Women's 200m Individual Medley
Women's 400m Individual Medley
Women's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay
Women's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay
Women's 4 x 100m Medley Relay
Men's 50m Freestyle
Men's 100m Freestyle
Men's 200m Freestyle
Men's 400m Freestyle
Men's 800m Freestyle
Men's 1500m Freestyle
Men's 100m Backstroke
Men's 200m Backstroke
Men's 100m Breaststroke
Men's 200m Breaststroke
Men's 100m Butterfly
Men's 200m Butterfly
Men's 200m Individual Medley
Men's 400m Individual Medley
Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay
Men's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay
Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay
Mixed 4 x 100m Medley Relay

What exactly is the purpose of having a billion events in the water? When the same athlete can rack up 8 or so medals that should be more than enough proof that pro swimming is a niche sport. Imagine if every niche sport had 34 events.

Women's 50m Freestyle
Women's 100m Freestyle
Women's 200m Freestyle
Women's 400m Freestyle
Women's 800m Freestyle
Women's 1500m Freestyle
Women's 100m Backstroke
Women's 200m Backstroke
Women's 100m Butterfly
Women's 200m Butterfly
Men's 50m Freestyle
Men's 100m Freestyle
Men's 200m Freestyle
Men's 400m Freestyle
Men's 800m Freestyle
Men's 1500m Freestyle
Men's 100m Backstroke
Men's 200m Backstroke
Men's 100m Breaststroke
Men's 200m Breaststroke
Men's 100m Butterfly
Men's 200m Butterfly

What exactly is the purpose of having a billion events in the water? When the same athlete can rack up 8 or so medals that should be more than enough proof that pro swimming is a niche sport. Imagine if every niche sport had 34 events.

The counter is always going to be "what do you think should be dropped?" ... they should just add the 50m and some kind of medley race (100m into the Long Jump into the Hurdles into the Triple Jump, don't ask me how it works) to the Athletics and it'll work out.

Carl Lewis would have entered the 50m, 100m, 200m, The Long Jump, The Individual Medley Race, 4x100, 4xMedley, and the Mixed Medley... and if we're Allyson Felix, throw in the 400m and 4x400m too.

Think we've fixed it.

Women's 50m Freestyle
Women's 100m Freestyle
Women's 200m Freestyle
Women's 400m Freestyle
Women's 800m Freestyle
Women's 1500m Freestyle
Women's 100m Backstroke
Women's 200m Backstroke
Women's 100m Butterfly
Women's 200m Butterfly
Men's 50m Freestyle
Men's 100m Freestyle
Men's 200m Freestyle
Men's 400m Freestyle
Men's 800m Freestyle
Men's 1500m Freestyle
Men's 100m Backstroke
Men's 200m Backstroke
Men's 100m Breaststroke
Men's 200m Breaststroke
Men's 100m Butterfly
Men's 200m Butterfly

Swimming events should never be reduced. It is arguably the best sport in the Olympics and apart from the odd freak athlete most of the events are won by different people

Swimming events should never be reduced. It is arguably the best sport in the Olympics and apart from the odd freak athlete most of the events are won by different people
Agreed. If you significantly reduce the swimming events, you’re going to kill a lot of the excitement of the first week of the Olympics. No other sport in the first week can produce an exciting night like tonight.

Olympic boxing judges remain a joke. Watched Aoife O'Rourke (Ireland) in action. Much the better fight and her opponent from Poland was holding more than boxing. A bizarre split decision win given to the pole.

How is the atmosphere as you see it?

Outstanding. I can't say there's a general buzz around the city as the French are using stadiums which already existed, which means there are pretty big distances between some of then. But at the actual venues, the vibe is great.

Obviously I've only been able to sample some of the sports, but I've seen full stadiums for big sports (Swimming, Gymnastics) and smaller ones (Handball, Table Tennis, Volleyball) even if there wasn't a French team. Obviously other sports such as hockey didn't attract as many.

Outstanding. I can't say there's a general buzz around the city as the French are using stadiums which already existed, which means there are pretty big distances between some of then. But at the actual venues, the vibe is great.

Obviously I've only been able to sample some of the sports, but I've seen full stadiums for big sports (Swimming, Gymnastics) and smaller ones (Handball, Table Tennis, Volleyball) even if there wasn't a French team. Obviously other sports such as hockey didn't attract as many.
Thank you. Good to hear.

That actually may be good, as it reduces congestion. Of course next week the focus will shift to Olympic Stadium.

Hockey is a winter Olympic sport, and so I don’t expect it to attract attention. I don’t even hear about it here in the U.S. despite its popularity.

USA won 16/35 (45%) of gold medals in swimming events in Rio and 11/37 (29%) in Tokyo, and now 3/20 (15%) for the finished events.

a bit concerning

Agreed; if anything, swimmers are specializing more and more in one category only, so seeing freaks like Marchand do it in different categories on the same night is a rare occurence.

USA won 16/35 (45%) of gold medals in swimming events in Rio and 11/37 (29%) in Tokyo, and now 3/20 (15%) for the finished events.

a bit concerning

It makes sense. So many swimmers from different countries train in the USA. So the american knowledge of swimming training methods doesn't give them an edge anymore.

This is a big thing for me. I went to Athens some years ago in a work assignment and one of my greek colleagues had been a logistics assistant at the Olympics in 2004. His stories on how many venues went completely unused surprised me. The economic crash some years later only exacerbated things.

Of course the flipside to this is that there really are only a 10,11 cities in the world that have that kind of infrastructure within a reasonable distance. Maybe the IOC will have to pivot to national, instead if city based games.

This is a big thing for me. I went to Athens some years ago in a work assignment and one of my greek colleagues had been a logistics assistant at the Olympics in 2004. His stories on how many venues went completely unused surprised me. The economic crash some years later only exacerbated things.

Of course the flipside to this is that there really are only a 10,11 cities in the world that have that kind of infrastructure within a reasonable distance. Maybe the IOC will have to pivot to national, instead if city based games.
This will be a big issue in the future. The Olympics literally cost a fortune, and which country, let alone city can afford that in this current economic climate, let alone justify that to its people when there are so many other political and socio-economic issues going on?

LA in 2028 is fine, but Brisbane for 2032 already was the ONLY host candidate. It's entirely possible that 2036 will go to the Middle-East, where countries still have money to spare, but after that it's anyone's guess. Olympics in Africa isn't feasible given the cost and required infrastructure. There have already been calls to create one Olympic village in one place and hold the Olympics there each time (Athens would be nice for that imo), and it can become a touristic attraction in the non-Olympic years (who doesn't wanna swim in the actual Olympic 50m pool?) to cover some of the expenses, can serve as a host for test events, stuff like that. An alternative is to make the Olympics a worldwide thing with different cities/countries hosting different events, but that would kill a bit of the buzz or atmosphere much like the 2021 Europe-wide Euros suffered from imo.

This will be a big issue in the future. The Olympics literally cost a fortune, and which country, let alone city can afford that in this current economic climate, let alone justify that to its people when there are so many other political and socio-economic issues going on?

LA in 2028 is fine, but Brisbane for 2032 already was the ONLY host candidate. It's entirely possible that 2036 will go to the Middle-East, where countries still have money to spare, but after that it's anyone's guess. Olympics in Africa isn't feasible given the cost and required infrastructure. There have already been calls to create one Olympic village in one place and hold the Olympics there each time (Athens would be nice for that imo), and it can become a touristic attraction in the non-Olympic years (who doesn't wanna swim in the actual Olympic 50m pool?) to cover some of the expenses, can serve as a host for test events, stuff like that. An alternative is to make the Olympics a worldwide thing with different cities/countries hosting different events, but that would kill a bit of the buzz or atmosphere much like the 2021 Europe-wide Euros suffered from imo.

I think the one Olympic Village in Athens would be a great idea.

Why didn’t they stop the count after 30 shots? Worst “sport” ever. Never watching that shite again.

I think I'd keep it in national borders so it keeps on having some of that atmosphere. So for example instead of having a Rome Olympics, you can have an Italy 2036. Rome has the athletics and ceremonies, Milan the aquatics,, the roman Amphiteater in Verona the Greco Roman wrestling and so on. Seems to me the only way to keep a sense of ownership while not bankrupting local governments.

Women's 50m Freestyle
Women's 100m Freestyle
Women's 200m Freestyle
Women's 400m Freestyle
Women's 800m Freestyle
Women's 1500m Freestyle
Women's 100m Backstroke
Women's 200m Backstroke
Women's 100m Butterfly
Women's 200m Butterfly
Men's 50m Freestyle
Men's 100m Freestyle
Men's 200m Freestyle
Men's 400m Freestyle
Men's 800m Freestyle
Men's 1500m Freestyle
Men's 100m Backstroke
Men's 200m Backstroke
Men's 100m Breaststroke
Men's 200m Breaststroke
Men's 100m Butterfly
Men's 200m Butterfly

I was going to make a cross country skiing joke, but then I realised that there are 3-4 times as many swimming medals. Crazy.