2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

It's also not a full sized pitch for 7s is it? So going 7 a side on a full sized pitch for football would be ridiculous. It would just be goal after goal with that much space to cover

No it's full size.

It's also not a full sized pitch for 7s is it? So going 7 a side on a full sized pitch for football would be ridiculous. It would just be goal after goal with that much space to cover

It is a full size pitch in rugby 7's which is why it's so open and why so many subs are needed - it's basically players running themselves into the ground and getting subbed off. The variation is designed to be high scoring by making it full sized.

That's not the point, the rules of Sevens are different. The point is that Sevens is a very old code and it's played a lot in countries that play rugby, even Union players are familiar with it because it's commonly used during the year as a training session and kids tend to play it alongside flag Rugby. Using Sevens at the Olympics makes sense because it's one of the three normal codes, now making up a discpline for the Olympics is in my opinion weird and unnecessary when Football has existing codes.

I understand that, and to be fair they were discussing this in the sevens during commentary which is what make me think about it. Futsal is a very different game due to the pitch size and is good fun to watch, but for better or for worse you'd probably not get the professionals playing like you do in the rugby occasionally.

GB's Delicious Orie in the men's 92+kg boxing soon. Could be a medallist.

Born in Russia to a Nigerian father and Russian mother, the family moved to the UK when he was a child due to racist abuse they suffered.

It is a full size pitch in rugby 7's which is why it's so open and why so many subs are needed - it's basically players running themselves into the ground and getting subbed off. The variation is designed to be high scoring by making it full sized.

I understand that, and to be fair they were discussing this in the sevens during commentary which is what make me think about it. Futsal is a very different game due to the pitch size and is good fun to watch, but for better or for worse you'd probably not get the professionals playing like you do in the rugby occasionally.
You'd have professional futsal players playing. Who are way better at it than football players, too.

Also 7 a side football exists too
Genuinely have never seen a handball goalkeeper ever save a shot.
Heard comment about a gk having a 42% save percentage and it was explained as out-of-this-world

This Olympics is about crowning Marchand as the new face and dominant force in swimming, heir to Phelps(same events, same coach too!), and Popovici as the king of speed. Nearly lost the second :lol:

And now the bonkers race

In the swimming isn't it up to the individual nations to decide how they are going to fill their qualification spots for each event if they have 2+ athletes who have swam better than the qualification time? If so you've got to wonder if team GB have got it right by allowing Duncan Scott, a guy who has underperformed relative to his ability on the biggest stage, to compete in the individual events at the expense of the 2021 Olympic Champion Tom Dean. Regardless of whether Dean finished third in the overall Brit qualifying standings..he probably had a better chance to medal than Scott.

In the swimming isn't it up to the individual nations to decide how they are going to fill their qualification spots for each event if they have 2+ athletes who have swam better than the qualification time? If so you've got to wonder if team GB have got it right by allowing Duncan Scott, a guy who has underperformed relative to his ability on the biggest stage, to compete in the individual events at the expense of the 2021 Olympic Champion Tom Dean.
Tom Dean finished 3rd in the GB qualification competition. Had to finish in the top 2.

In the swimming isn't it up to the individual nations to decide how they are going to fill their qualification spots for each event if they have 2+ athletes who have swam better than the qualification time? If so you've got to wonder if team GB have got it right by allowing Duncan Scott, a guy who has underperformed relative to his ability on the biggest stage, to compete in the individual events at the expense of the 2021 Olympic Champion Tom Dean.
Not sure how it works, think they just have to send the best times but dunno

Dean won against a weak field in Tokyo tbf, but yeah, I agree with your point

Tom Dean finished 3rd in the GB qualification competition. Had to finish in the top 2.
I know but he's a guy who demonstrated that he gets better under pressure. It just doesn't sit right that the then current Olympic champion can't defend his crown unless he falls off massively. He was .3 slower than Scott in this British qualifying event. Just let him compete at the expense of the guy who's probably going to choke again (he did).

Last edited:
Anyone else find themselves uninterested in the main line sports like Football, Tennis and Basketball at the Olympics, they all have more than enough chances to shine, give me all the rest.

Absolutely. I'd go even further and say I have almost no interest in any team sports at the Olympics like hockey or handball or whatever as well. The games are usually dull and too long. Much more interested in seeing solo competitor sports

Skateboarding earlier was a lot of fun, I'd definitely recommend watching the park events next week.

First fast final, which was good because Ceccon is the fastest ever :drool:

Ceccon won 100m backstroke
Martinenghi won 100m breaststroke.

I think we're favourite to beat USA in the 4 x 100 medley relay.

I love how they just rattle through stuff in the swimming, race, medal presentation a few mins later, next race immediately, creates great momentum.

I love how they just rattle through stuff in the swimming, race, medal presentation a few mins later, next race immediately, creates great momentum.

They have to, because there’s a million different events. It’s kind of mad how many different types of swimming they give medals for. Like having medals for the 100m running race, walking race, crawling race and hopping race.

They have to, because there’s a million different events. It’s kind of mad how many different types of swimming they give medals for. Like having medals for the 100m running race, walking race, crawling race and hopping race.
Makes it even more ridiculous that events like weightlifting reduce the classes and medals available.

Its great really, proper festival for the sport.

On another note, as an Irish fellow, Siobhan Haughey from Hong Kong is exceedingly weird, getting claimed if she wins.

Boxing pretty much one of the worst sports in the Olympics, full of ridiculous decisions with no explanation

Makes it even more ridiculous that events like weightlifting reduce the classes and medals available.

Yeah, exactly. I’m particularly bitter because my favourite sport, climbing, was only allocated two medals in total last olympics, one men and one woman’s. Climbing has three very clearly distinct disciplines so they had to combine them into a single event, which was a mess. The equivalent of making a runner perform well in a 100m sprint, a 5km run and a marathon to win a medal.

This time round they four medals, so only have to combine two of three disciplines. Which is less shit but still not ideal. I think there’s over 30 medals available in the swimming. Almost always won by privileged white athletes. Give them medals for men and for women over all the various distances but breast-stroke, butterfly and backstroke can feck off.

EDIT: Checked and there are 35 medals for swimming. FFS.