2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Vinesh Phogat, the Indian wrestler who missed weight, has tweeted out that she’s retiring.

Mom won the wrestling match against me, I lost. Forgive me, your dream, my courage is all broken, I don't have any more strength now.

Goodbye Wrestling 2001-2024

I will always be indebted to you all for forgiveness

Vinesh Phogat, the Indian wrestler who missed weight, has tweeted out that she’s retiring.

Overweight by a grams. She took some drastic measures to cut weight..
There followed a sleepless night as Vinesh ran, skipped, cycled, and took saunas to try to shed the excess weight. Some reports, which could not be confirmed, said she had even had her hair cut and blood drawn to make the weight.

That 43.03 from Van Niekerk was just out of this world, at the time in Rio and still now. Someone will inevitably go sub-43 some time in the future but I think no one is getting close to that anytime soon.

Also impressive that Kirani James was still in this year's final, he was already there in 2016 as well. Same for Hudson-Smith.

Probably that 16 year old protege, typical he will be 20 by LA 2028 and just peaking, grrr there is always someone in way for Matt's elusive global title

I’m starting to think that the Lottery funding system is breeding too much complacency into a lot of our top athletes. They seem to be too comfortable to settle for a medal, because that’s what the system values, rather than busting a lung to be the best, which is what the Americans always seem to do.
Which of our athletics medalists or near misses settled there? Kerr tried for gold and got out kicked by the 1st/2nd best kicker in world athletics and Hudson Smith tied up at the end and narrowly missed out. They weren't showboating or easing up. The only one who has been at fault really is Caudery but that looked more like youth and naivety.
Have you heard of the NCAA? College sports are crazily funded and highly prestigious. Climate and facilities far better in the US.
This and also the fact that the population is 2.5x bigger than the UK should yield 2.5x the talent

Looks like the Olympic smoking ban is affecting Charley Hull in the golf. That must have been one of the worst rounds she’s ever played yesterday. Someone get that woman some nicotine patches

Which of our athletics medalists or near misses settled there? Kerr tried for gold and got out kicked by the 1st/2nd best kicker in world athletics and Hudson Smith tied up at the end and narrowly missed out. They weren't showboating or easing up. The only one who has been at fault really is Caudery but that looked more like youth and naivety.

This and also the fact that the population is 2.5x bigger than the UK should yield 2.5x the talent

Agree with this bar the minor correction that the USA is nearly 5x the population of the UK.

Agree with this bar the minor correction that the is nearly 5x the population of the UK
Crikey - I thought it was 70 million Vs about 200 million but fair play. Even more so then!

For a country with no significant altitude and a relatively small population, we do very well in athletics

GB women safely through to the 4X100 final. Good chance for a medal. Individually they’re not the fastest but they’re very well drilled.

The men also through to the final but I’m less confident with them. But you never know, the Americans have a history of fecking it up, so as long as you get the baton to the last runner you have a chance of a medal.

edit: oh wow, it’s actually the Jamaicans who have fecked up this time. GB men should have a decent chance for a medal now

Last edited:
Janja doing Janja things in the woman's lead climbing semi-final. By the far the most dominant female athlete in these games, I reckon. In with a shout of being most dominant of all time. In any sport. A friend of mine tried to put a bet on who would win the gold medal. Second favourite was Brooke Rabatou, at 13/1. Best odds they would give him for Janja was 1/100.

Janja doing Janja things in the woman's lead climbing semi-final. By the far the most dominant female athlete in these games, I reckon. In with a shout of being most dominant of all time. In any sport. A friend of mine tried to put a bet on who would win the gold medal. Second favourite was Brooke Rabatou, at 13/1. Best odds they would give him for Janja was 1/100.
Yeah, she's just ridiculous. I wonder what were the odds for Mirosław's gold in speed climbing, she's been a giant favourite too.

Yeah, she's just ridiculous. I wonder what were the odds for Mirosław's gold in speed climbing, she's been a giant favourite too.

Yeah she's amazing too. But Janja is in a different league. Her outdoor grades are not far off the best male climbers and she's such a machine in competition conditions she would probably be in with a shout of a medal if she was competing against the men!

Yeah she's amazing too. But Janja is in a different league. Her outdoor grades are not far off the best male climbers and she's such a machine in competition conditions she would probably be in with a shout of a medal if she was competing against the men!
It's not breaking news that Slovenians are the most athletics-talented nation in the world :lol: insane bunch, I remember some Eurostat poll carried out across all the EU states and Slovenians came out comfortably first in the "what % of the population plays sports and exercises regularly".

It's not breaking news that Slovenians are the most athletics-talented nation in the world :lol: insane bunch, I remember some Eurostat poll carried out across all the EU states and Slovenians came out comfortably first in the "what % of the population plays sports and exercises regularly".

Interesting. I never knew that. Although any country that can produce both Janja and Adam Ondra has definitely got some sort of athletic secret sauce!

Interesting. I never knew that. Although any country that can produce both Janja and Adam Ondra has definitely got some sort of athletic secret sauce!
I can't find it right now and in the 2019 data I found actually Denmark and Sweden are ahead of them in sports participation, but still, Slovenians are freaks.

though Ondra is Czech, right?

Disqualified (?) In the sailing for starting early(?) Now!
Don’t know much about sailing, and I don’t know how well GB were expecting to do this time, but it looks like this regatta has been a total disaster for the British sailors. Just one bronze so far from a team that usually tops the medal table :(

Great morning for USA Wrestling

Men’s 57kg Spencer Lee -> Semis
Men’s 86kg Aaron Brooks -> Semis
Women’s 57kg Helen Maroulis -> Semis

he’s made a simple mistake of confusing two of basically the same country. in any case, i think you have to assume any of the countries out “that way” are doping like the russians.

always heart breaking watching a chinese athlete coming second, knowing they’ll be given a double shift back at the factory as soon as they’re back.

Brainfart. Not that I think all Eastern Europeans are the same, honest :o
No worries :lol:

The point about Slovenia is true however. Pogacar and Roglic dominating the cycling, Doncic the NBA, Garnbret the climbing...

Spain go 1-0 up against India in the field hockey bronze medal match, bit of harsh decision to give a 7-meter for that...

Harmanpreet with the equaliser, cmon!

Diving now, trouble is with the Chinese in it, unless they do something spectacularly bad, youre competing for the remaining medals it feels

Harmanpreet with the equaliser, cmon!
Scores another 2-1 up now with the last quarter to go!

Watching hockey though, wish football picks up a few things from this, especially the referee mic, we can here what he's telling the players and also the communication with the VAR

Looks like the Olympic smoking ban is affecting Charley Hull in the golf. That must have been one of the worst rounds she’s ever played yesterday. Someone get that woman some nicotine patches
She's such a chav

Scores another 2-1 up now with the last quarter to go!

Watching hockey though, wish football picks up a few things from this, especially the referee mic, we can here what he's telling the players and also the communication with the VAR
Just don't give us announcements like this

Brilliant waterpolo match between Spain and Netherlands. 12-12 after Spain took a 10-4 lead.