2022 US Elections

This is the kind of stuff you'd see in a third world country. No wonder why I said last week that the US would do with having foreign civilian observers and foreign military units to support election security, just like it's done in third world countries. Bring them all from US allies - Canadians, French, Brits, Irish, Japanese, South Koreans and so on.

In all seriousness, it's depressing.

This is the kind of stuff you'd see in a third world country. No wonder why I said last week that the US would do with having foreign civilian observers and foreign military units to support election security, just like it's done in third world countries. Bring them all from US allies - Canadians, French, Brits, Irish, Japanese, South Koreans and so on.

In all seriousness, it's depressing.

Election observers would never work in the US. Dems wouldn't be interested and Republicans with guns would probably intimidate and hound them back to Antwerp or wherever the hell they came from.

I've got a question for the Americans in here (and I guess any other nationalities that have something to add). In the 538 live blog it was mentioned that "most [polling places] currently have wait times of under an hour", and I thought that sounded like a strange... not boast exactly, but thing to point out. Is it normal to wait for a long time when voting in elections in the US? Admittedly I've never voted in big city, but my experience in Norway is essentially no waiting at all, or only a few people in a line.

Apropos that, that quote linked to the website for Maricopa County, showing polling places. I picked a city at random from the drop down, and it had two polling places in total. But surprisingly that's a city of 89k. Is that normal? Is it very close to other cities with other polling places you can use, maybe? My home town of 25k had 11 polling places in the last elections, though admittedly that municipality is physically three times larger than the city in Arizona (Avondale).

(My current municipality has 14k inhabitants and had 25 polling places last time, but it includes a very large, very mountainous island, so that's not a fair comparison).

Election observers would never work in the US. Dems wouldn't be interested and Republicans with guns would probably intimidate and hound them back to Antwerp or wherever the hell they came from.

Hey hey, nothing against Antwerp :lol: (That was random, seeing the city you work in a US elections thread)

I've got a question for the Americans in here (and I guess any other nationalities that have something to add). In the 538 live blog it was mentioned that "most [polling places] currently have wait times of under an hour", and I thought that sounded like a strange... not boast exactly, but thing to point out. Is it normal to wait for a long time when voting in elections in the US? Admittedly I've never voted in big city, but my experience in Norway is essentially no waiting at all, or only a few people in a line.

Apropos that, that quote linked to the website for Maricopa County, showing polling places. I picked a city at random from the drop down, and it had two polling places in total. But surprisingly that's a city of 89k. Is that normal? Is it very close to other cities with other polling places you can use, maybe? My home town of 25k had 11 polling places in the last elections, though admittedly that municipality is physically three times larger than the city in Arizona (Avondale).

(My current municipality has 14k inhabitants and had 25 polling places last time, but it includes a very large, very mountainous island, so that's not a fair comparison).
There can be significant wait times, some egregiously long (8 hours for example). The former is far more normal than the latter.

I'm equally confused. I live in Copenhagen and I've never waited more than a few minutes. But then we can also vote by mail from any "Borgerservice" (a municipality administrative place) and certain libraries up until a few days before the election.

It really annoys me how bad countries are at democracy. Especially one line the US where they're always on about their bloody democracy.

Depends on the place and time to be honest, there are some larger lines in city proper I imagine but also some pretty sparse ones elsewhere.

What was hard for me to understand before living in the USA is that many many things are decided locally. The voting places and how they vote and what exactly they vote for, is not decided by the central government as in many European countries.

For example in California we vote by mail. No waiting.

https://ballotpedia.org/All-mail_voting

Some other States or Counties have different arrangements. They can change it if they want to.

I'm equally confused. I live in Copenhagen and I've never waited more than a few minutes. But then we can also vote by mail from any "Borgerservice" (a municipality administrative place) and certain libraries up until a few days before the election.

It really annoys me how bad countries are at democracy. Especially one line the US where they're always on about their bloody democracy.
As @WI_Red stated a couple of posts back, this is intended. The more the people vote, the more it is detrimental to the right side of the aisle.

Seems Republicans are heading for a clean sheets.

Nightmares scenarios for dems would be a 54 republican senate (or 53 even) as a 60 seat majors could become an actual reality in 2024, the map for dems is just horrendously for that election, they're playing defense all over the place and some seats are already gone.

Seems Republicans are heading for a clean sheets.

Nightmares scenarios for dems would be a 54 republican senate (or 53 even) as a 60 seat majors could become an actual reality in 2024, the map for dems is just horrendously for that election, they're playing defense all over the place and some seats are already gone.
Ain’t gonna be as bad as you think.

As @WI_Red stated a couple of posts back, this is intended. The more the people vote, the more it is detrimental to the right side of the aisle.
This may not be true anymore but let's see, Last years Virginia gubernatorial election being an example, I think we're seeing a change in coalitions of each group and it may have a hand in changing that notion.
Ain’t gonna be as bad as you think.
You forgot where my affiliations lie?:smirk:

Anyway you're right , 2 years is an awfully long time political wise, if the economic recovers dems could look for to minimizing the damage.

On the other hand if we do end up in a particularly bad recession they may be entirely wiped out the same way Republicans where in 1932, just have to wait and see.

This may not be true anymore but let's see, Last years Virginia gubernatorial election being an example, I think we're seeing a change in coalitions of each group and it may have a hand in changing that notion.

You forgot where my affiliations lie?:smirk:

Anyway you're right , 2 years is an awfully long time political wise, if the economic recovers dems could look for to minimizing the damage.

On the other hand if we do end up in a particularly bad recession they may be entirely wiped out the same way Republicans where in 1932, just have to wait and see.
I must have. On what side of the aisle do you fall?

Right (not hawkish however).
I am going to avail myself of the ignore feature for the first time ever.

Kidding. You never seemed outlandish, that’s probably why it never stuck with me.

What I think has / is happening is the reverse of 2020, that polling is skewed to the right for the past few weeks (mentioned it in this thread about a month ago). Dems, especially women & young, have been underpolled significantly.

Could be wrong though.

Regardless, this will be an interesting next couple of weeks out to a month.