2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone should try this (the default is Nate Silvers take):

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/democratic-candidate-appeal/

this is how mine came out despite me thinking Bernie and Warren should be 1 and 2:

CANDIDATE RANKING
orourke.png
Beto O'Rourke 1
sanders.png
Bernie Sanders 2
warren.png
Elizabeth Warren 3
brown.png
Sherrod Brown 4
harris.png
Kamala Harris 5
castro.png
Julian Castro 6
biden.png
Joe Biden 7
gillibrand.png
Kirsten Gillibrand 8
klobuchar.png
Amy Klobuchar 9
booker.png
Cory Booker 10

Last edited:

this is how mine came out despite me thinking Bernie and Warren should be 1 and 2:

CANDIDATE RANKING
orourke.png
Beto O'Rourke 1
sanders.png
Bernie Sanders 2
Elizabeth Warren 3
brown.png
Sherrod Brown 4
harris.png
Kamala Harris 5
castro.png
Julian Castro 6
biden.png
Joe Biden 7
gillibrand.png
Kirsten Gillibrand 8
klobuchar.png
Amy Klobuchar 9
booker.png
Cory Booker 10

This is how mine came out

sanders.png
Bernie Sanders 1
warren.png
Elizabeth Warren 2
orourke.png
Beto O'Rourke 3
castro.png
Julian Castro 4
gillibrand.png
Kirsten Gillibrand 5
harris.png
Kamala Harris 6
biden.png
Joe Biden 7
booker.png
Cory Booker 8
brown.png
Sherrod Brown 9
klobuchar.png
Amy Klobuchar 10

Although I'm clearly biased. There's no way Joe Biden and Kamala Harris are this low. I gave very low ratings to Harris and Biden on the millenials and left

I hope Clinton was just remembering when an important event in her life took place with another big incident that happened around the same time and not actually implying that Obama will/might get assassinated.

CANDIDATE RANKING
orourke.png
Beto O'Rourke 1
sanders.png
Bernie Sanders 2
warren.png
Elizabeth Warren 3
brown.png
Sherrod Brown 4
harris.png
Kamala Harris 5
castro.png
Julian Castro 6
biden.png
Joe Biden 7
gillibrand.png
Kirsten Gillibrand 8
klobuchar.png
Amy Klobuchar 9
booker.png
Cory Booker 10

Using Silver's criteria, its somewhat difficult to not have Beto at or near the top. He would probably shade it past Sanders since he seems to be in very good shape with black voters following his viral Kaepernick speech last year.

“The Great Nonsense, 2019”| A summary :

Eboue: In 2008 Clinton said she wasn’t dropping out, implying Obama could get assassinated like bobby Kennedy (in which case Clinton would then accept the nomination).

NiMic: saying she implied Obama could get assassinated is a stretch.

berbatrick: it’s a clear implication.

niMic: she never said Obama would get assassinated if he didn’t drop out. (Footnote:where did this come from? This is a totally different thing to what Eboue said)

Eboue: ? No one said that.

niMic: I was talking to berbatrick

Eboue: But berbatrick was agreeing with me.

niMic: beetlejuice. Repeating it doesn’t make it true.

Eboue: I am repeating what I told you I said which is different to what you said I said.

niMic: I’m not saying you didn’t say “Clinton said Obama would get shot if he didn’t drop out,” I’m telling you Clinton did not say “Obama would get shot if he didn’t drop out.”

Eboue: But you said what I said was the thing that you said I said Clinton said which you said is not true but the thing with what I said about what Clinton said was not what you said what I said about Clinton. (Eboue left out a word but he meant niMic was saying what Eboue said wasn’t true, but Eboue was, correctly, pointing out that Eboue said something different to what niMic said Eboue said. Indeed, what niMic said Eboue said (about Clinton’s comments) was NOT true, but also was not said by anyone until niMic which is the point.)

fishfingers15: I can’t read

Eboue: niMic is telling me I said X and X is not true. I’m telling him I did not say X at all, but Y, and Y is true. As this conversation stemmed from my saying Y the veracity of X is irrelevant.

*lights dim. Raoul enters stage left. He is clutching a 538 article on Beto’s soaring poll numbers across several demographics and muttering to himself. In his right hand is a perfectly cooked medium rare tomahawk steak.)

Raoul: Beto? Ha, more like Bae-to.

—end scene—

Did anybody mention Hillary?

It's astonishing that she loses to the pussy grabber said to be facing child molestation charges one week before the general election, and she still thinks she can win?

Hope all my old forum family has been well since my extended absence.

“The Great Nonsense, 2019”| A summary :

Eboue: In 2008 Clinton said she wasn’t dropping out, implying Obama could get assassinated like bobby Kennedy (in which case Clinton would then accept the nomination).

NiMic: saying she implied Obama could get assassinated is a stretch.

berbatrick: it’s a clear implication.

niMic: she never said Obama would get assassinated if he didn’t drop out. (Footnote:where did this come from? This is a totally different thing to what Eboue said)

Eboue: ? No one said that.

niMic: I was talking to berbatrick

Eboue: But berbatrick was agreeing with me.

niMic: beetlejuice. Repeating it doesn’t make it true.

Eboue: I am repeating what I told you I said which is different to what you said I said.

niMic: I’m not saying you didn’t say “Clinton said Obama would get shot if he didn’t drop out,” I’m telling you Clinton did not say “Obama would get shot if he didn’t drop out.”

Eboue: But you said what I said was the thing that you said I said Clinton said which you said is not true but the thing with what I said about what Clinton said was not what you said what I said about Clinton. (Eboue left out a word but he meant niMic was saying what Eboue said wasn’t true, but Eboue was, correctly, pointing out that Eboue said something different to what niMic said Eboue said. Indeed, what niMic said Eboue said (about Clinton’s comments) was NOT true, but also was not said by anyone until niMic which is the point.)

fishfingers15: I can’t read

Eboue: niMic is telling me I said X and X is not true. I’m telling him I did not say X at all, but Y, and Y is true. As this conversation stemmed from my saying Y the veracity of X is irrelevant.

*lights dim. Raoul enters stage left. He is clutching a 538 article on Beto’s soaring poll numbers across several demographics and muttering to himself. In his right hand is a perfectly cooked medium rare tomahawk steak.)

Raoul: Beto? Ha, more like Bae-to.

—end scene—

:lol:

It's astonishing that she loses to the pussy grabber said to be facing child molestation charges one week before the general election, and she still thinks she can win?

It's not just the fact she lost for me - it's the fact she remains wildly unpopular to the point where she might just be the one Dem who will actually find a way to lose against Trump in 2020. Hilariously disconnected from reality.

This is how mine came out
Although I'm clearly biased. There's no way Joe Biden and Kamala Harris are this low. I gave very low ratings to Harris and Biden on the millenials and left

Yeah even Silver had Biden at 7th. I think that probably is a reflection he is not as appealing to most as it seems, he just has that name recognition.

Harris is still very much up in the air. I think she could catch fire and become the candidate to beat or she could flame out in another 6 months.

Using Silver's criteria, its somewhat difficult to not have Beto at or near the top. He would probably shade it past Sanders since he seems to be in very good shape with black voters following his viral Kaepernick speech last year.

That's true to a degree but I bet Eboue would have Beto much lower because he would score him lower than the Left than I did.

The other thing I didn't think about was relative appeal. For example if Harris does very strong among the black voters it doesn't matter if they prefer Bernie to Beto or vice versa.

It's not just the fact she lost for me - it's the fact she remains wildly unpopular to the point where she might just be the one Dem who will actually find a way to lose against Trump in 2020. Hilariously disconnected from reality.

She is the female version of Trump.

Say anything and everything....just so she gets elected.

Trump simply lied better.

Yeah even Silver had Biden at 7th. I think that probably is a reflection he is not as appealing to most as it seems, he just has that name recognition.

Harris is still very much up in the air. I think she could catch fire and become the candidate to beat or she could flame out in another 6 months.

That's true to a degree but I bet Eboue would have Beto much lower because he would score him lower than the Left than I did.

The other thing I didn't think about was relative appeal. For example if Harris does very strong among the black voters it doesn't matter if they prefer Bernie to Beto or vice versa.

It's a bit confusing to me as well. I gave the max to black voters for Booker, so I gave a bit less than that to Harris. So I did that in relative terms.

It's a bit confusing to me as well. I gave the max to black voters for Booker, so I gave a bit less than that to Harris. So I did that in relative terms.

I tried again with trying to be more relative and it was:

1. Beto
2. Bernie
3. Harris
4. Biden
5. Brown

For my own biases the relative hurt Warren the most but helped Biden alot (I assumed he would steal a lot of party loyalists from everyone else)

how are you lot having Harris so high in that list? I've got her even below Julian Castro. So my list does look wrong but can't get her up any further :lol:

I have her dominating the black voting block (her daughter of Oakland was popular there and she is already mobilizing her soriority sisters from Howard Univ. I also have her second to Biden among Party loyalists because of her connections to the old San Francisco political machine, Silicon Valley and potentially Hollywood.

how are you lot having Harris so high in that list? I've got her even below Julian Castro. So my list does look wrong but can't get her up any further :lol:

She seems to have a lot of establishment hype behind her. As in, there are MSM types who keep mentioning her as a leading contender....for no apparent reason other than the fact that various pundits seem to like her.

Harris will have plenty of establishment/media backing so her chances will depend on who else runs to a certain extent. If, say, Biden doesn't announce himself then she stands a good chance. If he does, she's likely fecked.

Have to ask, is your name taken from that worm in Irvine Welsh’s Filth?

Harris will have plenty of establishment/media backing so her chances will depend on who else runs to a certain extent. If, say, Biden doesn't announce himself then she stands a good chance. If he does, she's likely fecked.
She stands a good chance whether Biden runs or not. Conservative, older Southern black women, the bedrock of past Dem nominees won’t choose an old white guy over her.

LA Bob? Is that you?

Kamala may benefit from a move in the California primary... It's now in march and given the backing she's likley to have she won't be dropping out before then (unless there is a big scandal) ... And home state advantage and a good performance there will give her a lot of delegates... Plus I suspect quite a few others will drop out at that point.

Gut feel this far out is pretty much all I think you can go on (and let's be honest we were expecting bush Hillary this far out from the last one) but I don't think Warren or biden or Sanders will win through... Nor Clinton if she is actually serious about this

and as of now I'd make beto and kamala the 2 favourites...
Which seems in line with the bookies
https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2020/democrat-candidate
Will be interesting to see if beto can generate any more momentum over the next 6 months or so... I expect Kamala to be going after trump regularly in the media to keep her profile high

Last edited:
Addiego switches parties

State Sen. Dawn Addiego will switch parties and become a Democrat, giving Senate President Steve Sweeney and South Jersey Democratic leader George Norcross a major political victory.

The four-term senator from Burlington County brings the total number of South Jersey Democratic senators to seven and expands Sweeney’s lock on the Senate Democratic caucus.

“As gridlock in Washington dominates the news, it has become increasingly clear that in order to effect change you have to be part of the discussion and not on the outside looking in,” Addiego said in an a statement announcing her switch to the Democratic Party. “The people of the 8th district did not elect me to be content in the role of loyal opposition.”

Addiego said that her support for Sweeney’s agenda played a major role in her decision to switch parties.

“I have had the opportunity over the course of the last year to work closely with Senate President Sweeney on the Economic and Fiscal Policy Work Group,” Addiego said. “His tireless work ethic and unparalleled success at delivering for the people of New Jersey and particularly South Jersey is to be admired.”

The senator said that like Sweeney, she is “utterly convinced…that New Jersey’s current fiscal mess cannot be fixed by putting our heads in the sand and pretending it does not exist.”

“My core values that originally drew me to the Republican Party have not changed, but the party which once echoed the vision of Ronald Reagan no longer exists,” said Addiego. “Oil drilling off our coast and tax policy which unfairly penalizes New Jersey families are just a few examples of a National Republican Party that has lost its way.”

Democrats will now have a 26-14 majority in the Senate, giving Republicans the least number of seats since 1981.

Addiego’s change of parties also makes it even tougher for Gov. Phil Murphy to assemble a coalition of senators to oppose Sweeney, as he did in December on legislative redistricting.

The party switch was largely orchestrated by Norcross and lobbyist Jeffrey Michaels, a former chief of staff to Gov. Donald DiFrancesco.

Norcross and Addiego go way back: his father, labor leader George Norcross, was close friends with Addiego’s father; Norcross later developed his own friendship with the father of the senator.

Michaels and Addiego are also longtime friends.

Michaels was heavily involved in Burlington County politics in the 1990’s when he served as the top political advisor to DiFrancesco, then the Senate President and the counsel to the Senate President was Burlington County GOP chairman Glenn Paulsen. Michaels played a key role in Addiego’s first campaign as a candidate for Evesham Township Council in a May 1993 race.

Addiego is the Senate Deputy Minority Whip, one of seven members of the Senate Republican leadership team.

“I am looking forward to working with both parties, the Governor and all legislators to make New Jersey a better place for our families,” Addiego said.

The 56-year-old Addiego has served in public office for 25 years. She spent seven years as an Evesham councilwoman, eight years as a freeholder, and three years as an assemblywoman before winning the 8th district Senate seat in 2010.

Unless the boundaries of the district change after redistricting in 2021, the party switch probably enhances Addiego’s chances of surviving in one of the most politically competitive legislative districts in New Jersey right now. It includes parts of Atlantic and Camden counties.

The Burlington County Republican machine, one of the strongest GOP party organizations in the state for decades, was virtually wiped out in the last two elections. Control of the Board of Freeholders has gone from 5-0 Republican to 4-1 Democratic over the last thirteen months. Changing demographics make it improbable that Republicans will recapture control anytime soon.

Republicans almost lost the district in 2017, even though Democrats didn’t actively contest the seats. Addiego was re-elected in 2017 by just 2,637 votes, 52%-48%, against Democrat George Youngkin.

The 8th now has 6,694 more Democrats than Republicans. That’s up from 4,184 when the district lines were drawn in 2011. Murphy won the district with 52%, a 1,496-vote plurality.

Addiego had been one of six Sweeneycans – Republican state senators who enjoy an informal political alliance with the Senate President.

After mentioning Bloomberg, Wall Street executives who want Trump out list a consistent roster of appealing nominees that includes former Vice President Joe Biden and Sens. Cory Booker of New Jersey, Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and Kamala Harris of California. Others meriting mention: former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, former Maryland Rep. John Delaney and former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke, though fewally know his positions.

Bankers’ biggest fear: The nomination goes to an anti-Wall Street crusader like Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) or Sanders. “It can’t be Warren and it can’t be Sanders,” said the CEO of another giant bank. “It has to be someone centrist and someone who can win.”

“Everybody just wants to win,” a second senior executive who has worked in Democratic politics at the presidential level said. “It’s as wide open as I’ve ever seen it. There is no gravitational force that everyone is sort of running towards. Everyone has their candidate. Frankly, if people believed Warren would win, they’d jump on board. And everyone in the top tier not named Bernie Sanders could probably win.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/28/wall-street-2020-economy-taxes-1118065

Status
Not open for further replies.